• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

MrDaravon

I did it! :D

mnEv0AD.jpg

Ohhh yea.

that feel when you win mirror match against somebody with 700 more LP then you and then they rage quit? SO DELICIOUS YOUR SALTY TEARS.

I always find this disappointing.
I didn't get my LP and if they rage quit on me, then that 700 additional LP is probably fraudulent.

Ketch

I always find this disappointing.
I didn't get my LP and if they rage quit on me, then that 700 additional LP is probably fraudulent.

Yea i mean I would have loved to take another 70 points off him, and like maybe learned some guile tech along the way.... but knowing that I beat him bad enough that he'd just turn off his console is a decent consolation prize.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
So Ive purchased Alex, Guile and Ibuki with Fight Money and now I kinda want to get the season pass since getting the rest of the characters\stages will require grinding in survival.

Any chance Ill get any Fight Money back that Ive already spent on characters? I know its not likely but figured Id ask anyways.

It's really not difficult to get enough fight money for all six characters, and those characters in turn will give you more easy opportunities to earn fight money. Not sure if it would be enough for the stages, too, but if not you could definitely pick up the rest of them for less than the cost of the season pass.

Character stories, easy survivals, trials, the tutorial stuff you can button through quickly, then a few normal survivals should do it. Normal survival isn't hard at all until 26-30, and some characters can gimmick their way through pretty easily. Guile's v-skill + lp boom is very effective against Bison at the end. I even beat normal with Alex after maybe 4 tries, and I've never played him before.

Even if you can't beat a single normal survival, I bet you could get the remaining characters/stages for way less than 30 bucks. That is, if you don't care about the extra costumes at all.

MrDaravon

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";210583659]Nice! Unlocking color 14 with a character is the best feeling :)[/QUOTE]

I'm actually kind of mad because I was super looking forward to Chun's CPT outfit, but then I found out about her blonde color after that which is bae but isn't available on the CPT outfit :/

It's really not difficult to get enough fight money for all six characters, and those characters in turn will give you more easy opportunities to earn fight money. Not sure if it would be enough for the stages, too, but if not you could definitely pick up the rest of them for less than the cost of the season pass.

Character stories, easy survivals, trials, the tutorial stuff you can button through quickly, then a few normal survivals should do it. Normal survival isn't hard at all until 26-30, and some characters can gimmick their way through pretty easily. Guile's v-skill + lp boom is very effective against Bison at the end. I even beat normal with Alex after maybe 4 tries, and I've never played him before.

Even if you can't beat a single normal survival, I bet you could get the remaining characters/stages for way less than 30 bucks. That is, if you don't care about the extra costumes at all.

Character trials aren't exactly easy in spots. And you only get 3k FM for completing all 10 for a given character.

But you're right about the rest, mostly.

I beat extreme survival by using Rashid -- and I don't play Rashid. I just have decent defense and spacing and exploited the hell out of Eagle Spike. A lot of characters have that sort of move that will at least get you through easy/normal survival without much hassle other than the time spent (Ryu/Ken: SRK, Alex: power bomb, Cammy: Cannon Spike).

And if you're on PC, there's other ways to help with the survival grind.

So what it really comes down to is "is $30 worth it to you for the time you'd save and the premium costumes for the 6 DLC characters?".

I want to apologize to Kirblar, I was wrong about Nash's CC punish combo damage. I was thinking it was around 280 for some reason. It does almost 360 for one bar and no trigger which is actually more than Ryu lol.

Ryu does hit for 332 meterless at the same distance, though. Which is more nuts. Ryu doesn't actually get significantly more damage out of burning meter in general. He's just super efficient. 220 damage normal combos, 330 damage punish combos, 500 damage super combos. pretty much what you get.

I'm actually kind of mad because I was super looking forward to Chun's CPT outfit, but then I found out about her blonde color after that which is bae but isn't available on the CPT outfit :/

Black hair Nash the best

SSReborn

Birdie's cinematic at the start of Arcade Mode : "Where the hell's my dinner?"

Birdie's cinematic at the end of Arcade Mode : "Oh right, I already ate it."

lol basically something silly like this.

I think I'm gonna make it my mission now to 100% hone my execution I feel that it's what really holding me back with regards to all fighting games not just SFV.

Shadoken

How do you deal with Zangief just jabbing you out of everything? Playing as Karin.

Your St.MK should keep his Jabs in check , space it max range. Karin doesn't have a hurtbox below her leg so the Jab wont hit her.
Alternatively the better/harder punish would be to whiff punish the Jab with St.MP , you can cancel it to Tenko.

If these normals are getting beaten at those ranges , then that means he is doing the Jab after your poke whiffs. Your hutbox lingers for a bit so he is whiff punishing you. Try to change your poke timings accordingly.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";210587001]I want to apologize to Kirblar, I was wrong about Nash's CC punish combo damage. I was thinking it was around 280 for some reason. It does almost 360 for one bar and no trigger which is actually more than Ryu lol.

Ryu does hit for 332 meterless at the same distance, though. Which is more nuts. Ryu doesn't actually get significantly more damage out of burning meter in general. He's just super efficient. 220 damage normal combos, 330 damage punish combos, 500 damage super combos. pretty much what you get.[/QUOTE]
And Ryu has a deliberate tradeoff- he's stubby as fuck.

They need to work on getting CC DP combos a bit more normalized so that everyone can take advantage of them to a significant degree.

Sheroking

Necalli is stubby. Ryu has good midrange buttons, like st.mp and cr.mp. Nevermind the range on his LK, which is whiff punish city.

If that was meant to be his trade-off, it wasn't a very big trade-off.

kirblar

Necalli is stubby. Ryu has good midrange buttons, like st.mp and cr.mp. Nevermind the range on his LK, which is whiff punish city.

If that was meant to be his trade-off, it wasn't a very big trade-off.
Relative to most of the cast he is, Necalli's just even stubbier.

Nash can confirm damage from long range via the moonsault and V-Trigger, Ryu HAS to get in physically if he's behind.

Sheroking

Your St.MK should keep his Jabs in check , space it max range. Karin doesn't have a hurtbox below her leg so the Jab wont hit her.
Alternatively the better/harder punish would be to whiff punish the Jab with St.MP , you can cancel it to Tenko.

If these normals are getting beaten at those ranges , then that means he is doing the Jab after your poke whiffs. Your hutbox lingers for a bit so he is whiff punishing you. Try to change your poke timings accordingly.

St.HP from max range whiff punishes crouch jab as well.

Only Chun's 6HP is harder to deal with as Karin than Gief's various jabs IMO. You have good options, but it's harder to apply them.

molnizzle

Ok so aside from Birdy who I don't want to play, who's the next easiest character as far execution is concerned? Timing specifically. After at least a dozen hours of practice I still drop Karin's c.MP, s.MP about 50% of the time online. Sick of weird ass timings.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Ok so aside from Birdy who I don't want to play, who's the next easiest character as far execution is concerned? Timing specifically. After at least a dozen hours of practice I still drop Karin's c.MP, s.MP about 50% of the time online. Sick of weird ass timings.

I have terrible execution and have found Ryu, Cammy and Necalli pretty forgiving in terms of link timings.

I get that it's a safe site, so maybe Capcom did it :p

But like, I don't understand what I should open it with to make said changes, nor do I understand how to install newer mods (like that Athletic Chun mod).
Oh ok :p I am currently trying to understand how new mods work as well, but for your old ones to work you have to copy that Ver1046_Steam.pak into your Paks folder in your Street Fighter V installation, and then go back to the dlc.manifest file and just open it with notepad. :)

They need to work on getting CC DP combos a bit more normalized so that everyone can take advantage of them to a significant degree.

Ryu actually has one of the best mid-ranged CC combos in the game off his sRH. Nash has to be within shimmy range to hit with sFP. 6FP is pretty mediocre in terms of crush counter damage.

Most characters actually have pretty good crush counter combos. Necalli's are pretty bad but he doesn't need them. I can't think of a weak character whose problems would be solved by better CC combos.

If any of the universal mechanics are too weak it's V-Skills. Improving those could certainly pay dividends for weaker characters. They're shockingly weak across the board outside of Necalli and Ryu.

KingBroly

Banned
Oh ok :p I am currently trying to understand how new mods work as well, but for your old ones to work you have to copy that Ver1046_Steam.pak into your Paks folder in your Street Fighter V installation, and then go back to the dlc.manifest file and just open it with notepad. :)

Thank you for making it sound so easy. I just opened it without copying it over first.

I hope Capcom just adds Steam Workshop support for Costume Mods. It'd just make things so much easier.

EDIT - Yeah, the colors are still messed up, though

Zackat

I get that it's a safe site, so maybe Capcom did it :p

But like, I don't understand what I should open it with to make said changes, nor do I understand how to install newer mods (like that Athletic Chun mod).

make a folder called ~mods in the Pak folder, place the Pak file of your choice in the ~mods folder. profit.

Now that I think about it, the best way to fix Ibuki is probably revamping her V-Skill. Giving her a set of ninja items like Birdie makes more sense for her character design.

4MP+MK: Raccoon charges her V-meter
MP+MK: palm attack
2MP+MK: kunai refill

She's super focused on her V-trigger so giving her a reliable way to build it can change a lot about her viability. Forcing the opponent to get close by charging helps out with her neutral as well.

Thank you for making it sound so easy. I just opened it without copying it over first.

I hope Capcom just adds Steam Workshop support for Costume Mods. It'd just make things so much easier.

EDIT - Yeah, the colors are still messed up, though
hmmm I saw something about colours but I think they have to be redone on a per costume basis because of the stupid EX2 colours. :/

KingBroly

Banned
make a folder called ~mods in the Pak folder, place the Pak file of your choice in the ~mods folder. profit.

The Sparring Chun mod isn't a .pak item. The whole thing's in a folder.

EDIT: Welp, it just works as is with the folder in there, lol. Awesome

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
This game feels like "I'm at cross-up distance so guess when I'll jump" way too often, even at a high level. And it leads to more than 50% damage at the end of a round.

Yes I'm salty

Edzi

This game feels like "I'm at cross-up distance so guess when I'll jump" way too often, even at a high level. And it leads to more than 50% damage at the end of a round.

Yes I'm salty

Yup. One of the first lessons in learning SF used to be "don't jump", but that just doesn't apply anymore in SFV. There are too few downsides to a failed jump in, unless of course the opponent has an AA jab (though then that depends on how well they can convert off of the jab AA mixup).

IMO, what needs to be done is adding a way to get more damage off of regular (not jab, those just need to go away outright) AAs, like maybe making all AAs lead to a CC + basic juggle combo.

Xeteh

ok, I've decided I need to get back into costume modding so to refresh my memory I re-did the Laura undershirt from scratch, based on this drawing:

Here it is before:

and after:

Now I just need to figure out how these kids are releasing their mods these days because I don't know how to make a .pak, lol.

That looks awesome, well done. Now I can't wait for the next "WHATS WITH CENSORSHIP IN SFV" and someone uses that screenshot as proof!

Ryce

Is Kanzuki Beach in Malaysia or Thailand? It's hard to tell exactly where the pin falls on the globe. I'm surprised the stage locations aren't more clearly defined given the emphasis placed on geography in past games.

Xeteh

Thanks! :p

You joke but I am genuinely worried about putting it up on my YT channel. Like I'm not forcing anyone to use it, lol.

Fans of mods are going to be so confused and outraged, mods are supposed to remove layers not add them. Or in Juri's case just remove patches of clothing to look insanely stupid.

More meaty fireball backroll options, this time with midscreen action!

rkGov6.gif

You don't actually need the v-trigger to combo into the super, just makes it easier. Either way, these are basically your only options midscreen. You can go for RH xx v trigger, sweep if you want I guess. Maybe there's a character with a bigger hurtbox where you can do walk forward short after sRH V-trigger, but it doesn't work on Rashid at least.

Top Bottom