• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

Ketch

FANG is definetly the best design of the new characters... the other options are: Animal Broly, Aladin from San Francisco, and Boobs.

had a major breakthrough while trying to learn the a basic sonic boom loop in training mode. After failing like probably a million times I stopped mashing buttons, stopped pushing down so hard on the buttons, and like really fell into the rhythm and then just knocked em out like 3, 4, 5 in a row. It felt so smooth and good, like waaaaay fuckin better then normal... and then tomorrow I'm going camping for a week so might as well throw all that progress in the garbage.

FANG is definetly the best design of the new characters... the other options are: Animal Broly, Aladin from San Francisco, and Boobs.

had a major breakthrough while trying to learn the a basic sonic boom loop in training mode. After failing like probably a million times I stopped mashing buttons, stopped pushing down so hard on the buttons, and like really fell into the rhythm and then just knocked em out like 3, 4, 5 in a row. It felt so smooth and good, like waaaaay fuckin better then normal... and then tomorrow I'm going camping for a week so might as well throw all that progress in the garbage.
This advice has worked incredibly well for me in the past so I'm passing it over to you.

Whenever you're struggling with something, be it a matchup or a getting a move out or anything, just take 2 or 3 deep breaths.

Really helps calm you down, and you start to realize that the move you were having trouble with is because you weren't quite doing it right or because you were over complicating it.

Whales

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";210674436]gifs[/QUOTE]

lol thanks for the gifs, when that guy said "good players punish his v-reversal" I lol'd because literally the obly time i've seen someone punish it is the chun with a cr.mk into legs

I don't even remember if anyone else punished it properly

ok, I've decided I need to get back into costume modding so to refresh my memory I re-did the Laura undershirt from scratch, based on this drawing:

Here it is before:

and after:

Now I just need to figure out how these kids are releasing their mods these days because I don't know how to make a .pak, lol.
great work, Garrett!

Mr. X

ok, I've decided I need to get back into costume modding so to refresh my memory I re-did the Laura undershirt from scratch, based on this drawing:

Here it is before:

and after:

Now I just need to figure out how these kids are releasing their mods these days because I don't know how to make a .pak, lol.
This is a legit improvement to her design.

Nash's V-Reversal isn't the best when it pushes him far enough that it can be hard to punish moves in it's recovery. It should be a miniature version of his CA and deal gray health.

Infiltration basically won EVO with it.

V-Skill to block Mika's V-skill, 2 attacks and jump out of a command grab attempt.

Then Fuudo wasn't using R.Mika right.

You can propose Capcom to make it official ESPN Laura costume !
only if I get a 15 page thread on the front of gaf
This is a legit improvement to her design.
great work, Garrett!
thank you! I'll sort out a pak (thanks Reizo for the instructions)
Can you tell me who drew that amazing peice of artwork? Thanks.
sixteen-bit should be able to! I can't find it in my history, I only have it in my imgur account but it was originally on deviantart.
Making pak's is easy, you just need u4pak and then use the commandline:
Command line: u4pak.exe pack nameofthemod.pak StreetFighterV
Thank you :)

Zackat

I'll be downloading and using your mod Garrett. It just looks right. Does the color just match her belt color in all of the different colors? Even the 11-15 ones?

I'll be downloading and using your mod Garrett. It just looks right. Does the color just match her belt color in all of the different colors? Even the 11-15 ones?
thanks :D yup, it's actually mapped to the little cut out area on her butt, so whatever colour that part is, the shirt is the same colour.
The piece is by Udon artist Omar Dogan

looking forward to the .pak!
that's it :) and shouldn't be long!

With Laura her she's mostly focused on momentum rather than a lot of mixups. Her go to mixup after a knockdown or when an lp Elbow connects is to use crouching medium punch (beats all non-invincible buttons), regular throw, a meaty lp elbow or command grab.
Crouching mp on hit leads to another elbow and more pressure. You will also catch jumps and backdashes. Best corner carry too. Probably the safest option.

Regular throw will beat armored moves and catch the slower buttons. A knockdown and pressure.

Meaty elbow is higher stun and on hit you can combo into standing lightkick and a light or ex elbow. Should also beat 3f armor moves like Mika's ex peach. Backdashes and jumps will escape. You have enough time to pursue them with a dash, standing mp anti air or hard punch elbow on whiff.

Command grab is a knockdown and lots of stun. Leaves you very vulnerable if they backdash or jump.

And of course you can block or backsash on wakeup if you think they're going to dp or use an armored reversal.

On a hard knockdown you can try some mixups with a charged or ex fireball and some side switch stuff with the overhead.

If an ex fireball hits you can do a lot of dash mixups but they're very vulnerable to buttons and shoryukens.

In certain matchups I mostlynhand back and when I get a hit I go for corner carry. I usually use crouching mp > ex fireball > lp elbow tomget max corner carry with a bit of frame advantage.

Saving this for future use. Thanks for this

KingBroly

Banned
Nash's V-Reversal isn't the best when it pushes him far enough that it can be hard to punish moves in it's recovery. It should be a miniature version of his CA and deal gray health.

Then Fuudo wasn't using R.Mika right.

Fuudo predicted that Infiltration was going to use his V-skill to escape the corner, so he jumped back. Infiltration knew where the Nadashiko hit was going to hit him, so that allowed him to escape it.

miserable

I have a question regarding SFV and gamesharing: me and my friend share SFV on 2 PS4's. If i buy Ibuki from the PSN store on my account with real money, will she be unlocked on my friend's PS4 on his account? you know, like any other DLC from any other game?

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I have a question regarding SFV and gamesharing: me and my friend share SFV on 2 PS4's. If i buy Ibuki from the PSN store on my account with real money, will she be unlocked on my friend's PS4 on his account? you know, like any other DLC from any other game?
If you play on the same sfv Id then yes.

DLC isn't shareable in this game. Unless you both play from the same PSN ID, DLC isn't going to be shared.

Shadoken

lol thanks for the gifs, when that guy said "good players punish his v-reversal" I lol'd because literally the obly time i've seen someone punish it is the chun with a cr.mk into legs

I don't even remember if anyone else punished it properly

"Cr.mk cancels into fireball"

Nash v reversals .... And avoids the fireball. How on earth do you expect a punish from that ? Fireballs have insane recovery.

And see the vids I posted , just because he carefully posted gifs spots where they dropped their punish doesn't mean it's unbeatable.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
All your gifs prove my point exactly. I mean it's not just a "omg I am being pressured time to get out tool". You need to wait for your opponent to commit to a very slow recovery move. Ofc if the opponent isn't expecting it at all it catches them by surprise. But most of the time it's way more punishable than just a "throw". Mika can land a whole clap loop combo if you do it for a medium normal for example.

While Most other v reversals can punish medium normals.
There are several blocked light and medium attacks in those gifs and it's never punished even by the top of the top players. How can you still say it's bad?

Fuudo even anticipated one and jumped back, still nothing.

Shadoken

There are several blocked light and medium attacks in those gifs and it's never punished even by the top of the top players. How can you still say it's bad?

Fuudo even anticipated one and jumped back, still nothing.

Which one ? The first one he did get punished with cr.lk but he didn't follow up the combo. What other light normals ? Most of them were fireball cancels or slow normals.

And Fuudo was recovering from a v trigger cancel. How was he anticipating one ? He reacted to it , but couldn't do much because of his recovery. He should have actually just walked back if he wanted to punish. Or maybe he wanted to mixup with nadeshko either way it seemed really weird.

Vids showing various punishes, off even Medium normals. Something most of the cast can punish with v reversal.

You can see from the gifs that they went for the punish but dropped it.
Mika
https://youtu.be/LubGJmhTMdo

Ken
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6kSQhh0MZ4

Chun
https://youtu.be/uzywKWXUiko

Shadoken

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";210709569]She can do a clap loop by jumping over a fireball, too. I'm really not seeing your point.[/QUOTE]

What does a fireball have to do with it ? Can she do it to punish other characters v reversals when they do it after a blocked medium normal ? Nope.

But she can punish this v reversal when he does it off a blocked medium normal. Or even some heavy normals like HP.

kirblar

The top players in the world are consistently not reacting to Nash's V-reversal in time for a full punish.

That says it all.

Shadoken

The top players in the world are consistently not reacting to Nash's V-reversal in time for a full punish.

That says it all.

So If the top players in the world can't punish A fireball does that make the fireball OP or the player ?
Point is , It is punishable even on blocked medium normals unlike other v reversals.

There are already vids posted showing them punish some of the Exact same situations. But if you aren't ready for it , you aren't punishing.

Also I am not downplaying it as weak. But it isn't amazingly OP either. Has clear weaknesses and cannot be abused.

The point is that the punishability doesn't take away from the move's power. Nash's overhead is -6 on block but that doesn't stop Infiltration from using it several times a game.

Zackat

so if you're spaced right, and you are expecting it and bait someone into doing it, you can punish them?

Damn it sounds like Street Fighter to me.

Do you think it should be a completely safe, get out of corner card? Like invincible? Nash is already super strong and mobile. The V-reversal seems to fit his character and how he plays perfectly.

Man that casting over the PA system made the sound so damn muddy on the TV. You could barely hear Mike and Seth sometimes.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";210711090]The point is that the punishability doesn't take away from the move's power. Nash's overhead is -6 on block but that doesn't stop Infiltration from using it several times a game.[/QUOTE]

Talking in circles. This v reversal seems to me to be a bunch of players who neglected to train against it well enough. Now that 3 nash evo is over, I'm going to hypothesize we see everybody doing extra homework on Nash, and with possible exception of infiltration, you're going to see worse showings for the character from here on out.

kirblar

Talking in circles. This v reversal seems to me to be a bunch of players who neglected to train against it well enough. Now that 3 nash evo is over, I'm going to hypothesize we see everybody doing extra homework on Nash, and with possible exception of infiltration, you're going to see worse showings for the character from here on out.
Nash has been winning tournaments consistently since the first month the game was out.

People are doing homework. It isn't paying off. The one US player it did pay off for was Joe, who won the first big US event with Nash, and is magically the last US player standing. He's also the only "name" US player I can think of who's actually maining the character. I don't think these things are unrelated, people were just slow on the uptake.

I don't really think you can say Nash is not top tier and then say Chun is, they're kind of a pair. Chun has no tourney results and is being piloted even more frequently than Nash with just as many amazing players.

Won't argue that Infiltration is a big reason why Nash is a big deal, though. The situational awareness and the way the man baits and bluffs his opponent into moving exactly where he wants them is godlike.

EDIT: Also, doesn't Nash have a disproportionate amount of moves that are plus on block?

Nash has been winning tournaments consistently since the first month the game was out.

People are doing homework. It isn't paying off. The one US player it did pay off for was Joe, who won the first big US event with Nash, and is magically the last US player standing. He's also the only "name" US player I can think of who's actually maining the character. I don't think these things are unrelated, people were just slow on the uptake.

NuckleDu tho

Shadoken

Also can we get some actual examples of this V reversal being abused? I am not seeing it in those gifs. Apart from the Ken one where it looks like Eita dropped the fireball punish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzywKWXUiko

Every other gif is Nash doing a V-reversal of a high recovery move like a Fireball. or Mikas St.HK and Mikas C.HP->V trigger which also has recovery. Which is what the move is meant to escape from.

Thats like taking credit away from Infiltration , apart from him and nuckledu most majors didnt have any other Nash in top 32. While having multiple Necallis,Chuns and Mikas. People know the Nash matchup , but Infil is just a really strong player right now.

Anyway back on topic , his V-reversal of all things is far from OP. His HP Sonic boom tho , is going to see nerfs for sure.

EDIT: Also, doesn't Nash have a disproportionate amount of moves that are plus on block?

If you are referring to normals then ,Apart from lights its only his Cr.MP and Cr.HP. Which is normal for most of the cast.

Won't argue that Infiltration is a big reason why Nash is a big deal, though. The situational awareness and the way the man baits and bluffs his opponent into moving exactly where he wants them is godlike.

THIS... Its like he has found his perfect character. Infil just makes almost every move he has seem OP. I think even if Capcom nerfs Nash it is going to be hard to consistently take down Infiltration , unless the Game Meta changes.

He does so many punishable moves at such timing and spacing it just makes all of them seem like safe moves.

Correction, Infiltration has been winning tournaments consistently. And I'd say its obvious the majority of players where primarily concerned with Ryu, and concentrated their efforts on that match, which is why that character had a pretty mediocre showing at evo.
Also, saying LI Joe only got to evo because of his character is horse shit.

Shadoken

Also, saying LI Joe only got to evo because of his character is horse shit.

This.... The man came so close to beating Yukadon , who has been consistently dominating Japanese events. That matchup is 5-5 , you cant say its the character in a mirror match.

He even el;iminated Kazunoko , the same guy that beat Yukadon in that Tokyo buttton masher event. Cant just pass it all on character advantage.

Top Bottom