• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet people are gonna screen capture the last couple pages of this thread and go "See, the SFV thread is only taking about Tekken 7. SFV confirmed dead."

I bet people are gonna screen capture the last couple pages of this thread and go "See, the SFV thread is only taking about Tekken 7. SFV confirmed dead."
There was like half a page where we (including me) just talked about JoJo.

This is still nothing though lol, I remember seeing a thread in community that went like 2 full pages with just a discussion on Lost.

Marvel

could never
Lol, damn it.

It's like the first time I have properly gone off topic here too, bar a brief discussion on KI.

mbpm1

Still less off topic than FGC Gaf pre-move

also I'll be playing basically everyone in T7 bc i know nothing about nothing

JayEH

Fang, Honda and Bob

200.gif

Bob is cool. He's Rufus done right.

myco666

Oh this is Tekken thread now? Honest question how easy it is to transition SF skills to Tekken? Or is there even anything I can transition over? Never played Tekken outside of mashing my face against the buttons and hoping it kills the CPU.

Oh this is Tekken thread now? Honest question how easy it is to transition SF skills to Tekken? Or is there even anything I can transition over? Never played Tekken outside of mashing my face against the buttons and hoping it kills the CPU.

Tekken 7 has the prefect transitional character for SF fans. Akumer.

Never played Tekken outside of mashing my face against the buttons and hoping it kills the CPU.
Well Poongko keeps winning tournaments using Akuma with this strategy so there's gotta be something to it.

Seriously speaking though, there's very little that carries over since the 3D playing field alone throws a lot of SF concepts out the window.

It is largely it's own game but it's still incredibly fun, and there's a lot of variety between the characters as well.

I've actually heard Juicebox compare Tekken more to KoF, in the sense that understanding the game's system is much more important than understanding your character which is not necessarily the case in Street Fighter.

Pompadour

Out of curiosity, does a lot of 3D Fighter knowledge translate between those games (Tekken, VF, DoA) like 2D Fighter knowledge translates very well between those games. I've played a lot of 3D Fighters but I was never good at any of them.

mbpm1

I've actually heard Juicebox comapre Tekken more to KoF, in the sense that understanding the game's system is much more important than understanding your character which is not necessarily the case in Street Fighter.

Aris has mentioned this too. Though there's character differences, each character is pretty fundamentally the same with different moves or heavier emphasis on some aspects or longer limbs.

It's why Akuma was such a game changer.

JayEH

The biggest hurdle is movement. Doing the combos themselves isn't difficult but each character having +100 moves and moving in 3D space is.

mbpm1

Movement is very very important in tekken ya.

You have to put in serious time just learning how to move and when. It's where the execution lies

Numb

Bob is cool. He's Rufus done right.

Rufus wishes he was nearly as good
But half of top 8 being him can do a number on people
i like him.dntt tell anyone
Out of curiosity, does a lot of 3D Fighter knowledge translate between those games (Tekken, VF, DoA) like 2D Fighter knowledge translates very well between those games. I've played a lot of 3D Fighters but I was never good at any of them.
Yep. VF gave DOA alot and it's easy to pick up DOA if you played Tekken before. Despite Itagaki naming the Tekken games in his top 5 most hated games lol
full

Marvel

could never
I can play SC and DOA, but Tekken is my weakest 3D fighter. I'll be learning on day 1.

Tag when I was a kid was the last time I played the series properly but mashing against buds doesn't count lol.

ShinMaruku

Itagaki is the best.

Itagaki was a fraud the game that was most like Tekken he considered the biggest mistake. DOA4 was really good until a Ayane player gave him the hands and he destoryed character variety and the underlying systems. This nigga gets more love than warranted.

Dat Master Raven, though.

I know she's one of the very few, and she's even based on the original male character... but she looks rad anyway.

Yeah, that's true. Another start in the right direction, tho still, in some regards, she's kinda in that limited box of mystical looking/acting black women which, whenever there is the rare black female character in a game, that's the de facto archtype that she is made to being (see Storm, Fortune, Elena, Vanessa) or otherwise, she's more ambiguously black/mixed (e.g. Laura, Alyx Vance, Aveline de Grandpré, Christie Monteiro, Jade (Beyond Good & Evil)).

I want an straight up, unapologetic and unambiguous, American-black/African-American female, that isn't reduced to a stereotype or merely overly sexualized THOTTY.

andreevbg

Banned
I hate how I with my lvl 0 am matched with pple with level 1209381298273918 and get my ass kicked so bad that I am soooo close of giving up ....

Numb

Yeah, that's true. Another start in the right direction, tho still, in some regards, she's kinda in that limited box of mystical looking/acting black women which, whenever there is the rare black female character in a game, that's the de facto archtype that she is made to being (see Storm, Fortune, Elena, Vanessa) or otherwise, she's more ambiguously black/mixed (e.g. Laura, Alyx Vance, Aveline de Grandpré, Christie Monteiro, Jade (Beyond Good & Evil)).

I want an straight up, unapologetic and unambiguous, American-black/African-American female, that isn't reduced to a stereotype or merely overly sexualized THOTTY.

I almost thought you were asking for a WSHH vine chick before the edit

Marvel

could never
I hate how I with my lvl 0 am matched with pple with level 1209381298273918 and get my ass kicked so bad that I am soooo close of giving up ....
It's league you have to worry about, not Lv.

You too can be 400+ just by doing story, trials and main story very quickly. It should be matching you to your own rank though. But yeah doesn't mean it won't be hard.

While levels don't mean much, as Skilletor points out, match-making is so-so in SFV. I would strongly suggest that you find and friend people around your own level (or a bit above it) that you can play longer sets with, instead of just doing ranked / casual matches with randoes. It really helps keep the motivation up, in my experience, and also makes it easier to get longer sets in, which is very helpful. While it is more difficult on CNF than previously, don't be afraid to send friend-requests to people on the same platform as you, if you think you could benefit from playing more with them.

Itagaki was a fraud the game that was most like Tekken he considered the biggest mistake. DOA4 was really good until a Ayane player gave him the hands and he destoryed character variety and the underlying systems. This nigga gets more love than warranted.

LOL! I agree. Itagaki has always been overly heralded for his antics and Ninja Gaiden only and he's seemingly a 1-trick pony. Kamiya >>>>>>>>>> Itagaki. No fucking contest now.

andreevbg

Banned
Thank you guys for encouraging me ... I really like the game but I am such a scrub at it ,,, and getting my ass whooped doesnt help :D

Numb

LOL. Yeah, my mind be going sometimes and my eyes don't always keep up with that and my fingers. I massively edit due to this, hehe.

:)
It's never been easy with black female fighting characters
Even the ones there seem to be getting lighter skin tone in sequels
Just gotta deal with all the ganguro looking ones when anime fighters attempt aswell
Jacqui Briggs is the only i can think of in a long while that there were no ifs or ands

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
There are a few moves in this game that are just 100% guesses, like Balrog's EX rush punches. In 4 you could actually throw them if you were really quick. In V they just cover the whole screen in an instant. Pretty bad design imho.

Zackat

:)
It's never been easy with black female fighting characters
Even the ones there seem to be getting lighter skin tone in sequels
Just gotta deal with all the ganguro looking ones when anime fighters attempt aswell
Jacqui Briggs is the only i can think of in a long while that there were no ifs or ands
I played her quite a bit in mkx. I haven't played that game in a while.

I am going into Tekken with a blank slate. Only played it in my button mashing days with my brothers.

FluxWaveZ

There are a few moves in this game that are just 100% guesses, like Balrog's EX rush punches. In 4 you could actually throw them if you were really quick. In V they just cover the whole screen in an instant. Pretty bad design imho.

As someone who's played Balrog extensively, I disagree with this one. Much like being aware of Guile's charge for a somersault or guessing whether the opponent will DP or not and staying on the defensive, a lot of opponents are acutely aware of when a Balrog wants to go in like that based on distances and the Rog's stance. Predictive neutral jumps and counter pokes have destroyed that several times, and you can actually react to it (at least locally) if a player is doing it from across the screen.

I literally can't do it from full screen like that because it's too slow and everyone punishes it or just blocks it reactively.

Numb

I played her quite a bit in mkx. I haven't played that game in a while.

I am going into Tekken with a blank slate. Only played it in my button mashing days with my brothers.

Played over at friends and she was great
Tekken 7 got Master Raven who would have been perfect if she had her own movelist and not one she got from a dude
Same thing with Christie. Both darkskinned -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom