• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbpm1

There are a few moves in this game that are just 100% guesses, like Balrog's EX rush punches. In 4 you could actually throw them if you were really quick. In V they just cover the whole screen in an instant. Pretty bad design imho.

i never liked being able to throw the punches. They're designed as charge moves and either way it's a 2d fighter. Block low, react high, just from greater distance

:)
It's never been easy with black female fighting characters
Even the ones there seem to be getting lighter skin tone in sequels
Just gotta deal with all the ganguro looking ones when anime fighters attempt aswell
Jacqui Briggs is the only i can think of in a long while that there were no ifs or ands

Right. She was one of my characters in part because of that too.

As someone who's played Balrog extensively, I disagree with this one. Much like being aware of Guile's charge for a somersault or guessing whether the opponent will DP or not and staying on the defensive, a lot of opponents are acutely aware of when a Balrog wants to go in like that based on distances and the Rog's stance. Predictive neutral jumps and counter pokes have destroyed that several times, and you can actually react to it (at least locally) if a player is doing it from across the screen.

I literally can't do it from full screen like that because it's too slow and everyone punishes it or just blocks it reactively.

Yep. I don't even play Balrog, but I definitely agree with you based on my balrog matches.

JayEH

There are a few moves in this game that are just 100% guesses, like Balrog's EX rush punches. In 4 you could actually throw them if you were really quick. In V they just cover the whole screen in an instant. Pretty bad design imho.

You can easily hit him out of that/crush counter/neutral jump/block/balrog is now dead.

Can't wait for the balrog buffs.

Played over at friends and she was great
Tekken 7 got Master Raven who would have been perfect if she had her own movelist and not one she got from a dude
Same thing with Christie. Both darkskinned -_-

Christie isn't really dark-skinned tho and like Laura, is Afro-Brazilian, so there's that ambiguity (plus as you said, palette-swap moveset). In the terrible Tekken live action movie, I think she was played by a bonafide white girl.

EDIT:
010TKN_Kelly_Overton_002.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0653952/mediaviewer/rm3095986688?ref_=nm_ov_ph

Yeah, definitely a white chick played her. If she wasn't ambiguous, that probably wouldn't have happened.

vulva

Watching AIAI in Evo was hype but now watching any Juri video is boring. Out of all the characters, Capcom really dropped the ball making her the worst character in the game.

I thought we were talking about Juri, but then you kinda switched to Ibuki at the end.

FluxWaveZ

Just played against CFN "gootecks." Don't know why I found these matches particularly humorous; must be what people have been saying in this thread.

Numb

Christie isn't really dark-skinned tho and like Laura, is Afro-Brazilian, so there's that ambiguity (plus as you said, palette-swap moveset). In the terrible Tekken live action movie, I think she was played by a bonafide white girl.

Was just going by not being white
Saw the movie. That white girl was packing tho
zCJ4tQc.gif
But that's not the point lol
tbh i gave up some time back about getting them

Westlo

Watching AIAI in Evo was hype but now watching any Juri video is boring. Out of all the characters, Capcom really dropped the ball making her the worst character in the game.

Character model aside they really dropped the ball with her..... She was way more fun to play with in sfxt.....

Character model aside they really dropped the ball with her..... She was way more fun to play with in sfxt.....

I actually have a lot of fun playing with her, but I'm mad inconsistent with her due to her playstyle. T hing is, I'm better with it currently than I was in 4, since it's not as technically demanding, but yeah, she's still kinda tough to win with.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I hate how I with my lvl 0 am matched with pple with level 1209381298273918 and get my ass kicked so bad that I am soooo close of giving up ....

The most important skill you need to develop right now is coping with losing. It's a necessary part of learning a game this complex.

So try to keep your spirits up and make sure you pay attention to what the other person is doing so you can think about it later. You'll also do lots of unconscious learning just by putting in playtime, so don't give up! Taking breaks is fine, of course, and can help with the unconscious learning part, i.e. developing muscle memory and learning to respond quickly to common situations.

I feel like I'm getting much, much worse and I don't know why.
I've lost over 1200LP in the last week or so and I'm losing confidence rapidly.
Dropping combos, making stupid mistakes. Don't know how to get myself back on track.

What the hell, if I block Karin's Cr.HK as Chun, she can block my return Cr.HK and then sweep me?
Damn it, every time I block a sweep my reaction is to hit Cr.HK in retaliation, got caught out about 8 times before I stopped doing it.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Damn these Capcom Cup times are awful for Europe, except for friday evening.

What the hell, if I block Karin's Cr.HK as Chun, she can block my return Cr.HK and then sweep me?
Damn it, every time I block a sweep my reaction is to hit Cr.HK in retaliation, got caught out about 8 times before I stopped doing it.
She can't block it, but it can whiff. You shouldn't punish Karin's sweep with sweep.

Producer

If karin does it at max range chuns sweep will whiff. Have to go for ex legs for the punish

vulva

At least Ibuki can do damange with CA. Juri's can go low as 150 damage if done raw.

ibuki can't do shit unless she has vtrigger. Juri has great pressure, and multiple ways to open someone up. Ibuki is wayyyy worse than Juri.

edit: just re-read what you wrote. how does her CA do 150 if done raw?

If karin does it at max range chuns sweep will whiff. Have to go for ex legs for the punish
sorry for another edit but just saw this.

Not true! Go to training mode and block the sweep at max range, then do cr lp immediately after blocking it. There's a lingering hurtbox that you can hit after blocking at max range, which you can combo in to lk sbk.

tldr: cr lp, lk sbk is a max range punish for karin's sweep

Producer

ibuki can't do shit unless she has vtrigger. Juri has great pressure, and multiple ways to open someone up. Ibuki is wayyyy worse than Juri.

edit: just re-read what you wrote. how does her CA do 150 if done raw?

sorry for another edit but just saw this.

Not true! Go to training mode and block the sweep at max range, then do cr lp immediately after blocking it. There's a lingering hurtbox that you can hit after blocking at max range, which you can combo in to lk sbk.

tldr: cr lp, lk sbk is a max range punish for karin's sweep

Oh man, i didnt know that. Now that you mention it i do remember seeing Ryu punish with sLK into ex tatsu. thanks!

jwillenn

Calipower said we should be hyped for this week's Thursday Morning Wednesday Night Fights, so I'm awake for the action.

Gren

Thanks for the matches you two. You're both outta my league (couldn't get any momentum going), but it was still fun.

Great to play some folks with full bars too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom