• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo damn at those Urien buffs. I'm getting the hang of these charge timings so it'll all be worth it in the end.

Thanks for the write up.

So Gen's dead? Didn't expect that, even though he was dying (but to be fair I'm sure he's been dying since Alpha).

Necalli stuff sounds weird. Probably have to see it myself to get the full picture.

Ryu and Akuma being mutual rivals is pretty cool. Feel like it sets up their relationship in SF3 pretty well.

I have a feeling this Season's character stories are going to be set after the Cinematic Story Mode. Akuma pissed about Ryu using the power of nothingness kinda confirms that.

Yeah killing off Gen like this was ridiculous but man it was his time.

Necaili's stuff is in line with his powerset but it's still fucking odd. It's so goofy that it still feels like a SF cutscene so lol.

The Akuma and Ryu thing was a long time coming. In SF3 they don't seem to be at each other's throats, and it explains how Akuma can be a jerk but also not completely evil.

I would have liked to see Akuma do more, but I doubt he will.

Ucchedavāda;226697058 said:
Thanks for the TL;DR. I didn't give a shit before, but now I actually want to see that myself, because that sounds hilariously dumb.

Welcome to SF, nah, the canon for pretty much every fighter!

I don't think
Ryu ever actually asked Akuma a question. It was like he was trying to pull some kind of Joseph Joestar stalling trick on Akuma but didn't really know where to go with it, so he just rambled nonsense about his fist instead, and it worked. This actually makes me like Ryu a little bit more.

Didn't seem like he needed to stall considering
the fight was already over. But then again, he could have been stalling to suss out Akuma and why he didn't just flat out murder him. I still think the corny ass speech was his way of confirming "you probably want to fight me again so let's do so in the future".

Almost a half hour of Season 2 Guile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io74Hb9a-2Q

UDK counter hit combos into s.HP->c.MP

yw04c261tvs7tsay3zpl.gif

Watching this and at 13:45:
So if this sticks and I anti air with Cr.HP and it CC's I can potentially double flash kick them and ultra...... Amazing.

I got a feeling im gonna still be using Guile for some time lol.

Wallach

Thanks to Moaradin I was playing around with the S2 version of Bison a bit.

Honestly, I dunno how I feel about it so far. There's some things I can't really glean from training mode (particularly any invincibility changes to scissors or stomp) but there is some things here I don't like. Devil's Reverse is a lot less maneuverable in the air, and it feels like Psycho Axe is slightly slower on startup. cr.HP doesn't seem any different to me frame wise; hopefully it has a better hitbox on it now or something.

The target combo is an actual combo now, though Shadow Axe has even worse hit advantage and doesn't seem to combo into anything if it hits (you can't get cr.MP followup like before). It is V-Cancelable, but it is so unsafe on block that I can't imagine using it for anything else. You will guaranteed eat shit if they block Shadow Axe now and you can't V-cancel.

3f st.LK is very nice, and being able to store an absorbed projectile for later use should be very useful in some matchups.

I'll probably explore Alex later. I didn't come away from my brief time with Bison as excited as some other folks reported in.

Didn't seem like he needed to stall considering
the fight was already over. But then again, he could have been stalling to suss out Akuma and why he didn't just flat out murder him. I still think the corny ass speech was his way of confirming "you probably want to fight me again so let's do so in the future".

Yeah, I took it as
Ryu thinking, "Fuck. He won. He's totally going to kill me now. Gotta think of something fast so that he wants to fight me again later."

I'm also completely projecting what I want Ryu's intentions to be into the scene so he's a more likable character, but it my headcanon, it works.

mbpm1

Watching this and at 13:45:
So if this sticks and I anti air with Cr.HP and it CC's I can potentially double flash kick them and ultra...... Amazing.

I got a feeling im gonna still be using Guile for some time lol.

Looks like the CC doesn't activate unless you're at odd ranges.

Some Vega notes from SRK.

I'm testing Claw with the beta version (which may or may not the one we'll get on the 20th). Not only H ASE is now a viable AA that works against cross-ups, but you can combo EX FBA off it.
You can't combo EX FBA off f+HP CC though, but you can dash forward twice and do whatever you like on wakeup.

The no claw cr. HP CC is probably his funniest change though. You can:
- cancel into L roll for damage (hits once in the corner and twice mid screen)
- cancel into M roll, cross-up and get a meaty st. MP, st. MK, st. HP or cr. HP (yes it loops into itself)
- cancel into H roll, which will knock them down and hit them meaty if they quickrise. lmao
- cancel into stance change and reset with st. HP
- cancel into EX FBA (ofc)

Other changes in the frame data:
- claw st. MP is +2 on block (was +1)
- claw st. HP is +6 on hit (was +5)
- claw cr. MP is +1 on block (was 0)
- no claw st. LP is +6 on hit (was +5)
- no claw st. MP is +4 on hit (was +3)
- st. HK is +3 on block (was -1)
- cr. MK is +7 on hit (was +6). it comboes into st. MK now, lol?
- f+MK is -6 on block (was -4, seems universal)
- L roll is +1 on hit (was 0)

Goodstyle

So I got this from the F.A.N.G discord, not sure if it's entirely accurate.

sLP is +6
sLP +3 on block
st.LK: +5/+3
cr:LK: +4/+1
cr.MK: +5/+3
jab CH > st.HP is a thing now
sLK appears to be 6f
sMK 6f's

So this is.... a bit shit? St.mk no longer being 5 frames throws some serious punish opportunities out the window.

But on the other hand, this does improve FANG's counter hit game. That cr.mk being +3 oB is incredibly good.

This is garbage. Considering how much help FANG needed, Capcom really dropped the ball. Did they at least adjust his damage?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I think more neutral/farther throws and slower grey life recovery will help FANG, too. Might be enough? Wasn't one of his big problems how you could pressure him?

Vice

I think more neutral/further throws and slower grey life recovery will help FANG, too. Might be enough? Wasn't one of his big problems how you could pressure him?
Yeah, throws especially.

Saw some Laura buffs for s2. She looks like a contender.

Goodstyle

I think more neutral/farther throws and slower grey life recovery will help FANG, too. Might be enough? Wasn't one of his big problems how you could pressure him?

There were a lot of system changes that helped FANG sure, but why did they think he needed nerfs? Cr.mk being slower is huge. It was one of his best tools, and now it's worse for pressuring and AAing. What the heck was the logic behind this change?

Here's a full list of changes from SRK:

- st. LP is +3 oB and +6 oH (was +2/+5)
- st. LK is +3 oB and +5 oH (was +2/+4)
- st. HK is +7 oH (was +6). comboes into st. MP
- cr. MP is 7f (was 6f)
- cr. HP is +6 oH (was +8)
- cr. MK is 8f (was 7f), +3 oB and +5 oH (was +2/+4). comboes into cr. LK
- both st. LK and st. MK might be 6f now (were 5f), as you can't combo from cr. MK
- df+HP is 0 oH (was -2)
- Senpukuga is +6 oH (was +5)
- EX Nishikyu is +3 oH and -1 oB (was +2/-2)
- H Ryobenda is -4 oH and -13 oB (was -1/-10)

I mean, slowing down his crouching medium punch? One of his best footsie tools? Why?

There were a lot of system changes that helped FANG sure, but why did they think he needed nerfs? Cr.mk being slower is huge. It was one of his best tools, and now it's worse for pressuring and AAing. What the heck was the logic behind this change?

it's ST.MK that's slower (still combos after st.lp like before but still). cr.mk is actually better now since +3 oB means that he still has a very good frametrap.

Unless you heard somewhere that cr.mk is also slower?

Oh didn't see that new list.

Exr

Really happy with those Urien buffs as an old Urien main in 3S. The Rog changes sound neato as well.

Goodstyle

it's ST.MK that's slower (still combos after st.lp like before but still). cr.mk is actually better now since +3 oB means that he still has a very good frametrap.

Unless you heard somewhere that cr.mk is also slower?

Oh didn't see that new list.

Ya, I recently checked on SRK after I saw your post. This is freaking ridiculous, they balanced FANG like they balanced Chun Li, as if they were on the same level. Kneecapping his strongest tools, with some light buffs to compensate.

Here's a full list of changes from SRK:

I mean, slowing down his crouching medium punch? One of his best footsie tools? Why?
But was cr.mp really that good of a footsie tool? I think pretty much everybody preferred buttons like st.mp and df.hp and EX Sotoja in those situations.

I think it still makes sense when you take all the global changes into account. We also don't know yet if there are any changes to his combos (Maybe he can combo from a AA st.hp/cr.mk ?) or his damage output or his poison/v-skill/v-trigger properties.

EDIT: Tbh though, it doesn't really make much sense when you look at it on it's own, but maybe that V-Trigger change is what caused it. The ability to walk forward and use those insane frametraps without having to worry about charge and still having relatively fast buttons would be insane.

Goodstyle

But was cr.mp really that good of a footsie tool? I think pretty much everybody preferred buttons like st.mp and df.hp and EX Sotoja in those situations.

I think it still makes sense when you take all the global changes into account. We also don't know yet if there are any changes to his combos (Maybe he can combo from a AA st.hp/cr.mk ?) or his damage output or his poison/v-skill/v-trigger properties.

EDIT: Tbh though, it doesn't really make much sense when you look at it on it's own, but maybe that V-Trigger change is what caused it. The ability to walk forward and use those insane frametraps without having to worry about charge would be insane.

Ya, cr.mp fell out of fashion for FANG mains after the first month or so, but I still loved it. I wished they made it a low, that would justify the slower frames.

I may just be overreacting, but I don't understand the logic behind these changes though. Why are Balrog and Urien getting more buffs than FANG? Why did cr.MK have to become slower?

EDIT: I disagree on FANG walking forward and doing frame traps being insane. S1 had characters who could do that for free for way more damage and with specials that weren't punishable on block.

SephLuis

Akuma's story mode is out! A lot of shit happens.

So yeah, tl;dr - Akuma kills Gen (who was already dying anyway), gets eaten by Necaili, rips out from his stomach, goes to fight Ryu, and they become mutual rivals.

Akuma just wants to fight strong opponents to the death.

During the Alpha period,
Gen
actually kicks his ass and tells him to return once he is stronger with the Satsui no Hado. Remember that by this time,
Gen
is already dying because of pneumonia IIRC.

To me, Akuma always wanted Ryu to accept the Satsui because he would be a stronger opponent with it. It seems now this has changed and Akuma will wait for Ryu to complete his training before challenging to a death battle.

Ya, cr.mp fell out of fashion for FANG mains after the first month or so, but I still loved it. I wished they made it a low, that would justify the slower frames.

I may just be overreacting, but I don't understand the logic behind these changes though. Why are Balrog and Urien getting more buffs than FANG? Why did cr.MK have to become slower?

EDIT: I disagree on FANG walking forward and doing frame traps being insane. S1 had characters who could do that for free for way more damage and with specials that weren't punishable on block.
My theory is that it might cause a juggle state on AA. That would make the most sense for making it slower since it would also be a more potent option, particularly when you consider that FANG has 3 great AA buttons.

And in regards to the frametrap thing, all of those characters HAD to keep going in as that was the only way they could do damage. FANG has fireballs, trap and a slide so being able to get hits in, poison the opponent and backoff is a massive advantage that no other character can really pull off. No other character is as unique an archetype in this game as good ol' hit-n-run F.A.N.G

And it's also a massive buff to his neutral game, being able to easily buffer a move into his st.mp to confirm into super perhaps. And also, none of those characters have instant overheads.

Kikirin

Here's a full list of changes from SRK

Oof. At least it looks like his previous combos are still relatively the same in spite of all the frame shuffling. Frame traps from and into lights look to be about the same, if not improved. st.lp and st.lk probably combo into LK Ryobenda now, if hitstun on those were lengthened by a frame. Senpukuga and st.lp could combo into st.hp on CH now too.

Edit: though, if they reduced the recovery on st.lp and st.lk by a frame instead of lengthening hit/blockstun, LK Ryobenda won't combo. Need to double check if hitstun on lights is a universal value.

DJwest

Hi guys, I'm a noob lol. I haven't touched a fighter since SF4 AE. Who would you say are the most pad/beginner friendly characters in this game?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Hi guys, I'm a noob lol. I haven't touched a fighter since SF4 AE. Who would you say are the most pad/beginner friendly characters in this game?
Birdie probably. Maybe Necalli if you prefer charge characters.
But this game has easier execution, don't get intimidated by it and play what's fun for you.

DJwest

Birdie probably. Maybe Necalli if you prefer charge characters.
But this game has easier execution, don't get intimidated by it and play what's fun for you.
Thanks. Balrog and Ryu were my mains in SF4 but I could never do FADCs in combos to save my life.

Akuma just wants to fight strong opponents to the death.

During the Alpha period,
Gen
actually kicks his ass and tells him to return once he is stronger with the Satsui no Hado. Remember that by this time,
Gen
is already dying because of pneumonia IIRC.

To me, Akuma always wanted Ryu to accept the Satsui because he would be a stronger opponent with it. It seems now this has changed and Akuma will wait for Ryu to complete his training before challenging to a death battle.

AFAIK, their fight was a stalemate, but Akuma ended up stopping the fight because of COUGH COUGH COUGH.

But, yeah, Akuma is willing to wait around for Ryu to get strong af now and doesn't care about Ryu reaching the SnH anymore, I guess. So, there you go people. Akuma got some character development.

JayEH

all characters for the most part are fine with pad in this game. there's only really a few really technical characters in the game so you can pretty much choose who you want. Ryu is always a good starting point, if you want maybe a basic charge character instead go balrog.

Chun still gonna be top 1

anyone thinking otherwise was fooling themselves.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
No better time to start than when things are fresh.
You're right. As someone who struggles with basic execution I'm going to assume none of this balance patch really applies to me and start with core fundamentals.

Are those more Chun combos or just different? I don't think I've seen stomps like that before.

Seems like Capcom is giving people more combo opportunities and combos in general. I don't know how I feel about the damage scaling, if that's a thing.

Producer

It reminds me of lightning leg loops from sf4

Cool style points

Yeah but with like half the damage lol

Also im thinking maybe the mash legs has different properties than motion, like she is left closer to the opponent. Some of those combos arent possible right now cause she would be too far away. Or maybe its just a general buff lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom