• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitzkozan

Who even is this kid? Are we witnessing the rise of a new FGC monster?

As you saw, you aren't the world champion just from one breakthrough performance. Mena cracked hard in the last set and it will happen against the best international players in season 2. :p It take a couple of years to reach the top of the mountain. Still, really nice setups and mindgames which will further improve high level Birdie play. Of course, all of this will change in 2 days so whatever really lol.

mbpm1

MenaRD is a rising FGC monster no matter what

Birdie's getting buffs out the ass in S2 as well if the beta holds true so as long as he travels and practices he will do well.

Jeez. I hadn't seen all of these. Not sure if the buffs are worth all the nerfs.
Hm... I like the buffs, but some of those nerfs are questionable.
I understand the AA Jab nerfs, but I don't see why they had to touch his crouching mediums, standing light kick and elbow slashes. No one was screaming up a storm about that broken standing kick range or those BS elbow slashes. Hell, he STILL can't hit confirm off his crouching mediums unlike most of the cast. They also kinda went overboard on his air knee strike damage.

*shrugs shoulders*

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I understand the AA Jab nerfs, but I don't see why they had to touch his crouching mediums, standing light kick and elbow slashes. No one was screaming up a storm about that broken standing kick range or those BS elbow slashes. Hell, he STILL can't hit confirm off his crouching mediums unlike most of the cast. They also kinda went overboard on his air knee strike damage.

*shrugs shoulders*

Honestly I've been doing double takes all day at some of these changes. Arguably competitive characters getting exponentially better while characters that really needed help getting considerably worse. If what's been mined from the leak so far is accurate, I think the design team lost the plot.

kirblar

I understand the AA Jab nerfs, but I don't see why they had to touch his crouching mediums, standing light kick and elbow slashes. No one was exactly screaming up a storm about that broken standing kick range or those BS elbow slashes. Hell, he STILL can't hit confirm off his crouching mediums like most of the cast. They also kinda went overboard on his air knee strike damage.

*shrugs shoulders*
A lot of characters had mediums slowed, I think it was a normalization/slowdown thing.

I can't wait for the balance update. My thirst is currently at near max level.
Honestly I've been doing double takes all day at some of these changes. Arguably competitive characters getting exponentially better while characters that really needed help getting considerably worse. If what's been mined from the leak so far is accurate, I think the design team lost the plot.
I'm just going to keep an open mind since the throw and meterless DP changes are going to be such huge changes for the game. Still hurts that his V-skill is pretty much untouched while others are getting buffed pretty significantly. Would have been nice to see some V-Trigger centric buffs to his specials or normals. Oh well, I'm just glad to have more power bomb range. Screw T-Rex grab ranges.
A lot of characters had mediums slowed, I think it was a normalization/slowdown thing.
Yeah, that is why I'm not totally flipping out. Can't leave anyone untouched with so many general changes impacting everyone at once. That is an easy way to end up with an unintentionally broken normal or special.

mbpm1

Can't you just choose when to release it so if they flinch at all you get a counterhit combo?

I love the idea but it's just too cool for Capcom

goddamn they tempting me back to the beastman

tryna stay pure for juri tho

1upsuper

Hey, everyone. I've been picking peoples' brains in a few fighting game threads about which fighting game to use to get decent at the genre and learn the fundamentals, and I think SFV is the best option. I play tons of fighting games but I'm super casual about it. Now I'd like to change that.

My question is...can someone recommend me which of the characters I like is actually the best for a scrub? I'd really like to start putting in some serious time with a character I like who's also fun for me to play.

My favorite characters are R. Mika, Cammy, Birdie, Laura, and Chun-li. Are any of these good characters to start building the fundamentals with? I've also been a fan of Karin for years but she has so many moves.

Thanks a bunch!

Zackat

Hey, everyone. I've been picking peoples' brains in a few fighting game threads about which fighting game to use to get decent at the genre and learn the fundamentals, and I think SFV is the best option. I play tons of fighting games but I'm super casual about it. Now I'd like to change that.

My question is...can someone recommend me which of the characters I like is actually the best for a scrub? I'd really like to start putting in some serious time with a character I like who's also fun for me to play.

My favorite characters are R. Mika, Cammy, Birdie, Laura, and Chun-li. Are any of these good characters to start building the fundamentals with? I've also been a fan of Karin for years but she has so many moves.

Thanks a bunch!

birdie, necalli, and ryu imo

mbpm1

Thanks a bunch!

All of those except for r. Mika are okay as starters I think.

I'd say, of the characters you listed, Cammy might be the most straightforward, while also teaching the fundamentals of movement and ground game. She has good speed and good normals.

Chun Li might be good, too, because she has a fireball AND a charge moves. Both of those are fundamental elements of Street Fighter that take some getting used to. She's harder to use, though.

Steroyd

Thanks a bunch!

All except R Mika are good for fundamentals, Chun- Li and Birdie are monsters with their normals, Laura and Cammy are nimble players who can hop in and out of range at a whim, it depends on your playstyle or how you want to play the game.

The Japanese CFN site just announced the time for maintenance. Looks like it's going to be 12 PM to 8 PM EST.

That's:

9 AM to 5 PM PST
5 PM to 1 AM GMT
6 PM to 2 AM CET
9 PM to 5 AM GST
2 AM (Wednesday) to 10 AM (Wednesday) JST

If you don't want to do the conversion.

SSReborn

The Japanese CFN site just announced the time for maintenance. Looks like it's going to be 12 PM to 8 PM EST.

That's:

9 AM to 5 PM PST
5 PM to 1 AM GMT
6 PM to 2 AM CET
9 PM to 5 AM GST

Hope they Nerf maintenance times in season 2.

not only this, his s.MP now combos into s.MK

enjoy

better nerf alex a little more before this goes live

Wasn't st.mp->st.mk a common combo for Necalli in S1? I could have sworn I used something like it or similar when I was making him. Maybe it was st.mk->cr.mp?

Wallach

Wasn't st.mp->st.mk a common combo for Necalli in S1? I could have sworn I used something like it or similar when I was making him. Maybe it was st.mk->cr.mp?

s.MK into c.MP works. s.MP into s.MK used to be a VT only combo because outside VT s.MP would pushback too far. Now outside VT he has a very safe and easy confirm into TC.

kirblar

That's:

9 AM to 5 PM PST
5 PM to 1 AM GMT
6 PM to 2 AM CET
9 PM to 5 AM GST

Nice, good chance S2 goes live tonight.

lupinko

Just spent 85k FM on standard cast story colours, feels good.

Akuma should run me easy FM (demonstration, trial, survival easy and normal) to get me closer to his story costume.

Do we know if his stage is included in the season pass or no?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Wong playing Chun, bodied. Shine using Ibuki, bodied.
Punk staying faithful to Karin...wins the tournament. Good end to season 1.

But NEC really showed again why you can't patch balance too frequently in a fighting game. It's still getting figured out.

And yeah...Birdie. I always thought he's really good. More options than most characters, good range, good damage. And now it looks like he's getting buffed, damn.

Do we know if his stage is included in the season pass or no?
They haven't said so, so I would assume no.

lupinko

Mœbius;226842034 said:
Most likely not. They didn't include any stages with the Season 1 pass and I believe they are calling it a "Character" pass with Season 2.

Air Force Base was actually included in Season 1 as an apology gift due to all the launch issues.

Mœbius;226842034 said:
Most likely not. They didn't include any stages with the Season 1 pass and I believe they are calling it a "Character" pass with Season 2.
Season 1 pass came with the Air Force Base stage.

lupinko

Mœbius;226842072 said:
Yeah as you say it was an an apology so an exception to the rule / norm and not included in the pass from the get go.

They also threw in default colours 3-10, so Capcom flip flopping can still happen throughout season 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom