• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strakt

thinking about getting back into this game tomm...

got a few questions.

1). is it still popular? i own it on steam

2) i have 40k fight money, can i complete the general story for 100k for akuma? Is this the fastest way?

3). will i get my ass kicked or are there still lots of newbs?

Thanks!

"Hold button moves: Changed so certain special moves that activate when the button is released can be
used as a buffer"

Does mean that I could hold down lp as Birdie, and be able to confirm into bullhead by doing st.mp xx qcf then let go of lp? Or will I get good ol' fashioned bullhorn?

thinking about getting back into this game tomm...

got a few questions.

1). is it still popular? i own it on steam

2) i have 40k fight money, can i complete the general story for 100k for akuma? Is this the fastest way?

3). will i get my ass kicked or are there still lots of newbs?

Thanks!

1) Yeah, still popular, probably the biggest played fighting game that is active right now, outside of smash. Biggest competitive scene too.

2) If you complete the cinematic story you should have enough. Completing general story mode for most characters that you don't currently have will also yield more FM for ya.

3). I mean, getting your ass kicked in a SF game is part of the appeal. However, the ranking has done a good job at putting me against people at my skill level, and like most major updates to a game, expect an influx of new players to hit tomorrow, especially since it seems RQ is being fixed.

HardRojo

Good thing Urien is my back up.

Here's to Nash bringing flashy combos to SFV.
Unlike Juri
giphy.gif

Is it my mind or does the stage look a lot better in your gif than it usually is? Colors look a whole lot better overall.

Dahbomb

I read over the 3 characters I am kinda familiar with.

Cammy: I think the DP nerf is relevant to her. But in general outside of EX Dive Kick which got hit significantly, she seems overall slightly buffed. I don't know why some of the moves she had got buffed when they were good to great before.

Guile: Got buffed, period. Especially if you can juggle into d/f+HP after CC cr.HP off of an anti air hit. St.M into cr.MP works.

Balrog: Seems buffed all around, they even threw in more vitality. Cr.MP looks really good now.

HardRojo

It's Sunny Day lighting mod which removes the fog in stages. The only problem is the bloom in Bustling Side Street

Oh, I gotta say it looks a lot better, is it a bit harder to see the characters because of it? Looks like it could be, but I'm probably just imagining things.

Not gonna lie, the Alex nerfs kinda make me happy.

He's not a character that was incredibly strong, and he certainly didn't need a lot of those nerfs but........ well, I'm not broken up about it.

hertog

Didn't know I played an s-tier character is season 1. Why did they murder Birdie? And that -25 health nerf is just insult to injury

Luce is just mad that the best thing Fang got was the v-trigger thing that was leaked over a week ago!

I regret buying Alex's Halloween costume now.

Nah bruh, FANG can now combo off of (certain) lights, his CH game is better, some setups are better and his V-Trigger is now better.

I'm satisfied.

I'm definitely more of a fan of these kind of balance patches.

One big one every year, instead of a small one every month like Overwatch and League.

It gives the game a chance to stretch it's legs. Remember when it took people months to figure out whether Guile was good or not, that was a rollercoaster.

Also fuck off with the people that are leaving their mains because they were "destroyed" by the changes. You haven't even played them yet.

Also:

Tensenrin:
 Changed command from →↓↘+LK to →↓↘+LP

I dig this change, even though it'll fuck me.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
So how are people jumping into S2?

Buying Akuma with FM? Real monies? Reserving judgement? Immediate character pass investment? Or just tinkering with your mains and their changes?

I splashed on the S1 pass just before it went on sale, so will be holding out this time until we see these new characters. (Would have bought it already if it included Q or Oro...)

I don't think I'll be able to resist Akuma, though. He'll be my first character FM purchase.

Buying Akuma with FM? Real monies? Reserving judgement? Immediate character pass investment? Or just tinkering with your mains and their changes?

I splashed on the S1 pass just before it went on sale, so will be holding out this time until we see these new characters. (Would have bought it already if it included Q or Oro...)

I don't think I'll be able to resist Akuma, though. He'll be my first character FM purchase.
I've already bought the season pass and did the same for s1 before the game even released.

It gives me a pretty good leg up on the FM situation so I don't have to grind as much, I still have enough FM for all the cosmetic stuff, I NEED to have all the characters available in a fighting game (Just a little personal thing) and I get a free costume.

As soon as I can, I'm jumping straight in, buying the Season Pass and everything.

I'm not even that interested in Akuma, I just want my version of the game to be the version that has everyone.

FluxWaveZ

GGs, Producer. Splitting my attention towards many characters seems to have made me less powerful with each of them, but Chun-Li continues to be a real problem for me. Though, I realized while playing you that Chi-Rithy doesn't use IAL very much—giving me space to breathe—while that was pretty much your go-to pressure tool. I guess that's gonna change with S2, heh.

I've already bought the season pass and did the same for s1 before the game even released.

It gives me a pretty good leg up on the FM situation so I don't have to grind as much, I still have enough FM for all the cosmetic stuff, I NEED to have all the characters available in a fighting game (Just a little personal thing) and I get a free costume.

Pretty much. Nothing's worse than going to a friends house being like "Yo I wanna play Bayonetta in Smash." And they're like "Don't have her, dude."

Fuck those people.

Mizerman

I'm definitely more of a fan of these kind of balance patches.

One big one every year, instead of a small one every month like Overwatch and League.

It gives the game a chance to stretch it's legs. Remember when it took people months to figure out whether Guile was good or not, that was a rollercoaster.

Also fuck off with the people that are leaving their mains because they were "destroyed" by the changes. You haven't even played them yet.

Also:

I dig this change, even though it'll fuck me.

Agreed.

Producer

GGs, Producer. Splitting my attention towards many characters seems to have made me less powerful with each of them, but Chun-Li continues to be a real problem for me. Though, I realized while playing you that Chi-Rithy doesn't use IAL very much—giving me space to breathe—while that was pretty much your go-to pressure tool. I guess that's gonna change with S2, heh.

GGs. I was using it alot huh..rip me tomorrow i guess. Also you didnt use Mika at all. Haha

I have little interest in the FGC side of things, but seeing all these people willing to drop characters based on changes they haven't even got full access to yet it really weird to me.

You put all the time into learning someone just to boot them to curb? Not even gonna give them a chance with the changes?

FluxWaveZ

GGs. I was using it alot huh..rip me tomorrow i guess. Also you didnt use Mika at all. Haha

I've not been touching Mika for about 1.5 weeks now, outside of last Tuesday's weekly. Picking her right now before S2 will, very plainly, reinforce "bad habits." She has changed so dramatically that the way I play her now can't be transferred over to S2, so I've just been messing around with a bunch of other characters while waiting, notably Birdie.

I have little interest in the FGC side of things, but seeing all these people willing to drop characters based on changes they haven't even got full access to yet it really weird to me.

You put all the time into learning someone just to boot them to curb? Not even gonna give them a chance with the changes?

I think it's because of that amount of time that people have strong reactions to these changes. Dismay is only natural when the fundamental tools you've put hundreds of hours into learning are taken away abruptly.

It's what happens when the set up you're so used to gets changed so suddenly.

It's easier to just give up than adapt.

I've not been touching Mika for about 1.5 weeks now, outside of last Tuesday's weekly. Picking her right now before S2 will, very plainly, reinforce "bad habits." She has changed so dramatically that the way I play her now can't be transferred over to S2, so I've just been messing around with a bunch of other characters while waiting, notably Birdie.

I think it's because of that amount of time that people have strong reactions to these changes. Dismay is only natural when the fundamental tools you've put hundreds of hours into learning are taken away abruptly.
I understand being disappointed, but I don't understand choosing to toss it all aside because of that. Unless they've completely changed the entire character, wouldn't it be best to try and build off what's still there that you're familiar with? And try and find new ways to utilize that character now?

I use characters that I like, even if I suck at playing them, so this "I only want to use 'good' characters" mentality seems like a pretty joyless way to play. But I know I don't look for the same types of things in fighting games that others do, so I'm sure that's why I don't fall in line with this way of playing. Seems more like a job than something to enjoy.

It's what happens when the set up you're so used to gets changed so suddenly.

It's easier to just give up than adapt.
I'm sure people have a multitude of reasons, but I'd hope they'd have a bit more resilience. But again, I'm not a part of the FGC so who am I to say.

Zackat

I understand being disappointed, but I don't understand choosing to toss it all aside because of that. Unless they've completely changed the entire character, wouldn't it be best to try and build off what's still there that you're familiar with? And try and find new ways to utilize that character now?

I use characters that I like, even if I suck at playing them, so this "I only want to use 'good' characters" mentality seems like a pretty joyless way to play. But I know I don't look for the same types of things in fighting games that others do, so I'm sure that's why I don't fall in line with this way of playing. Seems more like a job than something to enjoy.

winning brings me more joy than anything else.

If I can win more with another character imma do that

I played Laura and Birdie in S1 though (not exactly high tier). Gonna keep on doing it in S2 also.

There are people that ragequit in casual matches. Salt, and the desire to avoid it, makes a person do crazy things.
winning brings me more joy than anything else.
I played Laura and Birdie in S1
You must lead a very unsatisfying life.

Edzi

Based on what I'm reading, she's not even that different yet Mika mains seem to have had the most violent reactions. The major change seems to be that she can't get her wall bounce from anywhere on screen (which felt insanely cheap anyway) but she can still do it from either side of the screen and still start her regular pressure.

FluxWaveZ

It's not simply about "I only want to use 'good' characters," but it's certainly about characters that you gel with, and changes can break that synergy. But yeah, you certainly won't relate if you're purely casual, since people put in varying degrees of time into the game and learning their characters.

I've played 16,000 matches online so far (excluding Battle Lounge). Someone who's played 500 probably won't feel the same way in regards to the character, simply due to the difference in investment.

Based on what I'm reading, she's not even that different yet Mika mains seem to have had the most violent reactions. The major change seems to be that she can't get her wall bounce from anywhere on screen (which felt insanely cheap anyway) but she can still do it from either side of the screen and still start her regular pressure.

You seem pretty fixated on MIka; I'm pretty sure she's not nearly the only character people main that have caused disappointment. We just had Infiltration threaten to abandon Nash, and we've had people talk about leaving Bison in this thread.

Edzi

It's not simply about "I only want to use 'good' characters," but it's certainly about characters that you gel with, and changes can break that synergy. But yeah, you certainly won't relate if you're purely casual, since people put in varying degrees of time into the game and learning their characters.

I've played 16,000 matches online so far (excluding Battle Lounge). Someone who's played 500 probably won't feel the same way in regards to the character, simply due to the difference in investment.

You seem pretty fixated on MIka; I'm pretty sure she's not nearly the only character people main that have caused disappointment. We just had Infiltration threaten to abandon Nash, and we've had people talk about leaving Bison in this thread.

Not really fixated on Mika, but considering how BS some of her stuff felt and the fact that the changes just seem to lessen the cheapness while retaining most of her major tools/gameplay, seeing the reactions from Mika mains has been kind of hilarious.

Also, come on. Just because you've spent an ungodly amount of time playing this game doesn't mean you have a deeper connection with a character than someone who's more "casual".

I wouldn't consider myself "purely casual" since I've been playing SF and other fighting games for 25+ years. I just don't care about the hardcore competitive side of things, so far as tournaments and such. I think it's a weird distinction to make personally.

I feel attachments to characters because I like them as a character, not because they help me win. Of course I'd like to do better with those I struggle with but I'm not gonna stop using them and switch to someone else that may have a fighting style I'm more suited to solely for that reason.

FluxWaveZ

I wouldn't consider myself "purely casual" since I've been playing SF and other fighting games for 25+ years. I just don't care about the hardcore competitive side of things, so far as tournaments and such. I think it's a weird distinction to make personally.

I feel attachments to characters because I like them as a character, not because they help me win. Of course I'd like to do better with those I struggle with but I'm not gonna stop using them and switch to someone else that may have a fighting style I'm more suited to solely for that reason.

I would say that qualifies as "purely casual," no? I see that as meaning no interest in the competitive side of things.

I'm sure people have a multitude of reasons, but I'd hope they'd have a bit more resilience. But again, I'm not a part of the FGC so who am I to say.

Learning a character alone seems like a job to some people than being fun. If it's a "bad" character, you'll have even more work to do.

I definitely fall more into the "pick whoever looks cool" category, no matter how they play. I mained Mika for a while not because she was easy to play, even if she was extremely difficult to play from the start, I'd still play her mainly because she has so much goddamn ass spunk

Can someone buy this for me?

C0Far3XXEAATJEB.jpg:large

I have a theory RE: Nash. From the changes, i'm starting to believe Nash has been given the tools needed to build at least 2 full v-meters in a match. I think Nash getting 2 VT per match might become a regular thing in S2, and I think they balanced him harder because they wanted him to have this tool.

Edzi

I have a theory RE: Nash. From the changes, i'm starting to believe Nash has been given the tools needed to build at least 2 full v-meters in a match. I think Nash getting 2 VT per match might become a regular thing in S2, and I think they balanced him harder because they wanted him to have this tool.

That sounds like it might be in line with their plan of differentiating the characters more and using their unique skills.

kirblar

Floe just made this exact observation a minute ago. I think you are both dead on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom