• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Not for the people who played him mostly Zoning and footsie based in S1. With some passive aggressive offense thrown in.

For the ppl who just spammed Scythe and abused forward dash grabs. Yea they are gonna need to re learn him.

I played against both types of players today , am glad Capcom sorted out which play style is meant for him.
At high levels it was all about abusing his bullshit. Hence the dislike of removing the bs.

Floe thinks Laura is S2s Mika. I had the exact same thought halfway through the changes.

FluxWaveZ

Floe thinks Laura is S2s Mika. I had the exact same thought halfway through the changes.

That was obvious after the PSX impressions and cemented after the beta leaked. Again, it'll be fun to hear from those who focused so much on Mika that they completely ignored Laura now that this has happened.

KingBroly

Banned
The beta/ previous builds had hints towards modified versions of existing moves but a lot of them either didn't make it in the game or were removed.

Cammy's air throw seems to be one of them.

Man......

They should just make every character insane that can do like 1000 damage combos easily with 3-bars and full trigger.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
(Laura was removed, not just because I'm gay as hell, but because she may have usurped Juri as my least favorite female SF character, and that particular image of her is undeniably tragic.)

Lol! No justification necessary. Laura's great, but that pic is a horror.
I only picked it to be facetious. We all know both the SF guys and girls can shine in multiple ways.

Good chat, fam!

Westlo

What? I thought she got her air throw back?

She doesn't really need it..... her AA is already top tier.... b-mp, st hk, dp..... would've been cool to have but not needed.

Considering the initial "leaks" were nerfed divekicks + system changes for an air throw.... the official changes are much better...

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Floe is loving the Karin changes. He doesn't think they touched her core gameplay at all, they just shaved off some obnoxious stuff while adding some nice QoL fixes.
Yeah, Shine seems to think so, too. I wrote something like that during the leak. She's still good.

https://twitter.com/Shine_NYC/status/811048403992014848
https://twitter.com/Shine_NYC/status/811049915627503621
https://twitter.com/Shine_NYC/status/811050096624332800

They buffed EX Orochi for some reason lol.
With the V-Trigger buff it might make less sense to safe up for CA now, we'll see.

edit: Oh and she is +4 now after sweep xx VT activation, which is crazy. She was -7 before.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
They really want people to activate V-Trigger and not just use it for V-Reversal or some end of the round confirm. Something like that makes it very compelling to activate.

KingBroly

Banned
They really want people to activate V-Trigger and not just use it for V-Reversal or some end of the round confirm. Something like that makes it very compelling to activate.

V-Reversals shouldn't be a thing then. By toning down the defensive aspects of V-Reversal, it makes you wonder why it's there in the first place.

I don't think Inflitration is Nash's character nowadays. The footies focus is going to help, but Nash still needs to be somewhat aggressive and Infli plays too safe IMO.

V-Reversals shouldn't be a thing then. By toning down the defensive aspects of V-Reversal, it makes you wonder why it's there in the first place.

Broly, you can rest now. ZG has taken your spot.

It's okay. Sleep easy, my friend.

The V-reversal can also serve as a great counter to that V-Trigger activation. If they're plus after their V-Trigger activation and if they go for a move that isn't a throw then you can land a successful V-reversal and buy yourself some room, potentially getting yourself out of a dangerous situation.

I don't think anyone really has had a problem with the V-system in general, just character specific V-moves/V-Triggers.
Broly, you can rest now. ZG has taken your spot.

It's okay. Sleep easy, my friend.
Certainly keeps things interesting though.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe they just felt the balance was off or it's too boring. They do still work and have their uses.

edit:
Urien
Crouching MK:
 Advantage on-hit has been changed +1F to +4F
 Advantage on-block has been changed -2F to +2F

WHY IS IT +2 haha

I wish Birdie's cr.mp had juggle potential instead of just leading to a mixup, especially now that the hitboxes have been "fixed"

It would have so dope to get corner carry or setups by doing stuff like cr.mp xx lk chain or just straight up cr.mp xx bull head xx CA

I wish Birdie's cr.mp had juggle potential instead of just leading to a mixup, especially now that the hitboxes have been "fixed"

It would have so dope to get corner carry or setups by doing stuff like cr.mp xx lk chain or just straight up cr.mp xx bull head xx CA

That would be broken.

The hitboxes have been made a bit smaller on the three frames usually used to anti-air, and hurtboxes have been applied so he doesn't have any invincible hitboxes now. That's all fair.

Instead, you now get st.mp x mp bullhead xx vt activation leaving you at +2 in command throw range on block, AA cr.hp x hk chain (or AA cr.hp, bullhead xx super), a superior st.hk that can link into super or st.mp, a massively buffed st.mp hitbox and better followup from command throws.

Oh and they buffed the best light normal in the game (cr.lp) with an extra active frame, so you can counter-poke with it for days now. And did you know if you CH someone with that button, which is now more likely with the extra active frame, you get a free super?

Birdie is mad good now.

KingBroly

Banned
The V-reversal can also serve as a great counter to that V-Trigger activation. If they're plus after their V-Trigger activation and if they go for a move that isn't a throw then you can land a successful V-reversal and buy yourself some room, potentially getting yourself out of a dangerous situation.

I don't think anyone really has had a problem with the V-system in general, just character specific V-moves/V-Triggers.
Certainly keeps things interesting though.

When they change V-Reversals so knockdowns don't occur anymore (Cammy), it takes away from their already limited viability. You shouldn't be able to interrupt Reversals (i.e. attack them during it). What's the point in Reversing if you can just get put into another full combo when it's supposed to prevent it?

I don't think V-Reversals are a decent tool. Since they're nerfing them across the board, it makes them even worse.

That would be broken.

The hitboxes have been made a bit smaller on the three frames usually used to anti-air, and hurtboxes have been applied so he doesn't have any invincible hitboxes now. That's all fair.

Instead, you now get st.mp x mp bullhead xx vt activation leaving you at +2 in command throw range on block, AA cr.hp x hk chain (or AA cr.hp, bullhead xx super), a superior st.hk that can link into super or st.mp, a massively buffed st.mp hitbox and better followup from command throws.

Oh and they buffed the best light normal in the game (cr.lp) with an extra active frame, so you can counter-poke with it for days now. And did you know if you CH someone with that button, which is now more likely with the extra active frame, you get a free super?

Birdie is mad good now.
"Free Super" is pushing it a bit, but yes I certainly see what you mean.

Perhaps it's because my gameplan as Birdie relied a lot on defense and reads than before so I'll probably have to be take advantage of these changes by playing more active and using different buttons now.

When they change V-Reversals so knockdowns don't occur anymore (Cammy), it takes away from their already limited viability. You shouldn't be able to interrupt Reversals (i.e. attack them during it). What's the point in Reversing if you can just get put into another full combo when it's supposed to prevent it?

I don't think V-Reversals are a decent tool. Since they're nerfing them across the board, it makes them even worse.
Dude, I don't think you can attack any one during their V-Reversal, you can only throw/grab them. Cammy's V-Reversal is now actually one of the better ones in the game.

Before it was a bit risky because while it did change sides, it was incredibly slow and massively punishable on block. The risk/reward factor was way off. Now though, even a blocked V-reversal with it's -2 can be a good thing because you still are a character with a metered reversal, a DP that's still strike invincible on the 3rd frame (will beat out medium/heavy attacks and throws) and even if you press nothing, you still got out of the corner by just spending a bar of v-meter and can't be punished for it.

"Free Super" is pushing it a bit, but yes I certainly see what you mean.

Perhaps it's because my gameplan as Birdie relied a lot on defense and reads than before so I'll probably have to be take advantage of these changes by playing more active and using different buttons now.

I mean you can confirm super off of it. CH cr.lp is +7, and his super is active frame 7.

I mean you can confirm super off of it. CH cr.lp is +7, and his super is active frame 7.

"Free Super" is still pushing it because you need to be able to confirm off of it which is still difficult (at least I can't do it consistently though I haven't really practiced it tbh) and it's still CH only. But again, I do see your point and it's certainly a good buff to a good button.

"Free Super" is still pushing it because you need to be able to confirm off of it which is still difficult (at least I can't do it consistently though I haven't really practiced it tbh) and it's still CH only. But again, I do see your point and it's certainly a good buff to a good button.

Ah I see what you mean. Confirms are hard in this game in general, alas. :(

Ah I see what you mean. Confirms are hard in this game in general, alas. :(

To be fair even with how slow that move is, it's still confirming off a CH light at the end of the day. Even pro players can't confirm off of it consistently enough which is why they often don't go for it.

Everyone remembers XYZZY confirming the super off of his CH cr.lps but they don't remember the time he only got a regular hit but still went into super and whiffed it.

Skilletor

What are you talking about? You can't hit somebody out of a vreversal. Everybody is completely attack invincible during the animation except for throws (which is good, since that's a read). You could with Cammy before. Now you can't.

Cammy vreversal now switches positions, gets her out of the corner, and puts her advantage with her now even more amazing normals, and even if it doesn't hit, it's not safe.

Vreversal is supposed to stop your opponents pressure. Cammys does that AND puts them in the corner.

Vreversals are still really good. They now function as a get off of me move without the benefit of allowing the person who did them the ability to continue offense just because they blocked and pressed forward and three buttons.

Naarmight

Man those Mika notes are depressing, I am sure it means me dropping her as a character. I know she needed a lot of work, but it just looks like she has been dismantled.

Marvel

could never
Ucchedavāda;226912102 said:
Maintenance starts in about 2 hours and 20 minutes, I think, and is scheduled to end 8 hours later.
Thanks!

Edit: Rats that means around 12am my time then, noooo. Hmm I'll allow myself an hour to learn some Akuma and then go to sleep.

Marvel

could never
Is there any vídeo or guides for Juri? Want to play her in Season 2
Absolutely there is. If you toutube "Juri Guide" plenty.

However in S2 she'll be a little different with some cool combos oppotunities and v-skill usage.

I had my first little run last night, won 4 in a row which is a big deal for me as a total noob. Then I'm fighting this super aggressive Ken, lose round 1, win round 2, middle of a tense round 3 and my stick stops working (but not my buttons). The guy seemed to notice and gave me a few seconds to get my shit together but it was just dead so he proceeded to end me. Argh.

After the fight I reset the console and still nothing. The stick connector had gotten loose and disconnected. I guess I need a little tape on it or something.

It's nice to feel like I'm improving though. It's taken me a few weeks to realize I need to focus on patient blocking and simple, effective punishes and not trying to go for super complicated offensive combos. Using Guile mostly. I'm focusing on just a couple of combos starting with hp > cr. mp and abusing the v-skill > sonic boom (sonic cross) which somehow still confuses beginner fireball-chuckers. I'm still getting messed up by Ryus who rush me on wake up and either DP or throw, which is frustrating and I feel like an idiot when I don't block or counter it.

One nice thing about Rookie is that it's like 50% Ryu so I can focus on beating those rookie Ryu strategies.

SUPARSTARX

Maybe they just felt the balance was off or it's too boring. They do still work and have their uses.

edit:
Urien
Crouching MK:
 Advantage on-hit has been changed +1F to +4F
 Advantage on-block has been changed -2F to +2F

WHY IS IT +2 haha

Yeah, I'd like +2 on Bison's crouch MK too...

I can see this as a good way to check people's ankles and aegis reflector cancel in for some shenanigans.

I had my first little run last night, won 4 in a row which is a big deal for me as a total noob. Then I'm fighting this super aggressive Ken, lose round 1, win round 2, middle of a tense round 3 and my stick stops working (but not my buttons). The guy seemed to notice and gave me a few seconds to get my shit together but it was just dead so he proceeded to end me. Argh.

After the fight I reset the console and still nothing. The stick connector had gotten loose and disconnected. I guess I need a little tape on it or something.

It's nice to feel like I'm improving though. It's taken me a few weeks to realize I need to focus on patient blocking and simple, effective punishes and not trying to go for super complicated offensive combos. Using Guile mostly. I'm focusing on just a couple of combos starting with hp > cr. mp and abusing the v-skill > sonic boom (sonic cross) which somehow still confuses beginner fireball-chuckers. I'm still getting messed up by Ryus who rush me on wake up and either DP or throw, which is frustrating and I feel like an idiot when I don't block or counter it.

One nice thing about Rookie is that it's like 50% Ryu so I can focus on beating those rookie Ryu strategies.

Madcatz stick perhaps?

jett

D-Member
Did they change Mika V-Reversal ? I believed she had a good mix-up after that ?

Her V-reversal was nerfed.

V-Reversal - Peach Gator:
 Changed startup 15F to 17F
 Changed recovery on-hit

Not sure what they mean by the second item though.

LakeEarth

Noticed they added more frames to Chun's v-reversal, that's good. Before, if you v-reversal'd Urien's super, the v-reversal would end but the super would still be active. You had to eat a few frames of chip before reversing to avoid it.

They extended Ken's super hitbox even higher? Was this a problem? I've seen that thing hit at ridiculous heights when compared to the height of his leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom