• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onemic

When I was about to get dizzy, when I'm in the corner, match being perfectly fine in the first round.

thats how it is when finding bad players in platinum and beyond with WannaSeeMyKungFu RQ his way to 20k.

Or, people dont have good internet. The far more likely explanation

FluxWaveZ

This DP change for Boxer is killing me. I'm trash cancelling cr. HP into screw upper when I'm on the right side. It's exposing me, I don't like it. At least this is helping me with my execution for other characters.

I was wary about it when the news first came out, but I like it, ultimately. An actual reliable long range anti-air option. I can use a version of the throw tech OS that won't lead to me accidentally inputting an uppercut on wake up. And you get more damage off of combos now by using it.

kirblar

QFT.

Out of all the returning SF3 characters I don't know why they screwed her up so bad. Alex and Urien are for the most part similar enough to their 3S counterparts that I don't mind what they are missing.

Probably explains why I like playing them the most out of the cast and will not touch ibuki.
Because they didn't want a repeat of SF4.

Aww, there goes my 17 win-streak. Curse you, Bonita!

When I was about to get dizzy, when I'm in the corner, match being perfectly fine in the first round.

That person could well have been on a shared / shitty connection, or it could even be an intermittent problem with your connection, for all we know. The fact that it started lagging when you were about to be stunned does not seem like a good indication of "lag switching", because that would require that the guy was juggling with whatever they were using to cause lag while at the same time trying to capitalize on your dizziness. And causing his own connection to spike would screw up his own play as well. In fact, I've seen people argue the opposite, namely that lag happening when their opponent was about to be stunned was evidence of lag switching as well.

HardRojo

When the game doesn't want you to win...
So I prefer to block after the V-trigger freeze because it threw me off and I knew this Akuma would mash DP to get out of it. With that in mind, I planned my CC punish with st.HP and then I just lost it lol, it's funny because during one frame Urien is actually looking at the side I was expecting him to but suddenly changes and screws me over.

Skilletor

Both kicks and neck breaker led to knockdown, I just think they underestimated how badly this screwed her in neutral. Would not be surprised if she gets the kicks back eventually.

They wouldn't lead to hard knockdowns. There'd be no time to set up the vortex. The only way you can do that now is if they don't tech or you get a crush counter sweep.

I mean...why is SF4 what we're talking about when she existed just fine in 3s before this, and this game is closer to SF3 than SF4.

MrCarter

They wouldn't lead to hard knockdowns. There'd be no time to set up the vortex. The only way you can do that now is if they don't tech or you get a crush counter sweep.

I mean...why is SF4 what we're talking about when she existed just fine in 3s before this, and this game is closer to SF3 than SF4.

I'm hoping for a V-Trigger which gets her kicks and neckbreaker back.

Morris

Disco Devil
I'm having a lot of fun with Ibuki, her s2 changes fix a lot of the problems I had with her during s1.

I think y'all just suck and aren't willing to put the time into learning how to make a new character work, she's certainly one of the most complex characters in this game. She also has every tool you need to keep up in the neutral. I'm sorry you can't do random fullscreen ex neckbreakers or get vortex out of every knockdown anymore.

kirblar

Even with soft knockdowns and quickrise/backroll it can still lead to some of the same stuff.

Skilletor

I'm having a lot of fun with Ibuki, her s2 changes fix a lot of the problems I had with her during s1.

I think y'all just suck and aren't willing to put the time into learning how to make a new character work, she's certainly one of the most complex characters in this game. She also has every tool you need to keep up in the neutral. I'm sorry you can't do random fullscreen ex neckbreakers or get vortex out of every knockdown anymore.

CFN?

Let's play.

Even with soft knockdowns and quickrise/backroll it can still lead to some of the same stuff.

And yet wasn't a problem in 3s.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

Hmm. A measured critique sure to be met with much self-reflection.

colorswap.php

where these moves at, bro

In the trash where it belongs.

JayEH

colorswap.php

where these moves at, bro

Technically this move is still in the game.
I was wary about it when the news first came out, but I like it, ultimately. An actual reliable long range anti-air option. I can use a version of the throw tech OS that won't lead to me accidentally inputting an uppercut on wake up. And you get more damage off of combos now by using it.

It's definitely an improvement overall I won't argue that I just lament being him being all charge character :p I imagine this is to a lesser degree how Vega fans felt when he was switched to all motion.

Yo, where are all the Silvers and Golds at today? The game keeps matching me up with people with 1000 - 2000 LP less than me, so my LPs just get more and more fraudulent.

Marvel

could never
Well I'm on a break lol, waiting for my body to get used to or shoo away this drowsyness on these tablets I'm on. Fuck playing ranked in this state haha.

Chen's learn to fight or whatev it's called on YT is keeping me entertained atm.

Skilletor

Ucchedavāda;227361036 said:
Yo, where are all the Silvers and Golds at today? The game keeps matching me up with people with 1000 - 2000 LP less than me, so my LPs just get more and more fraudulent.

I fought an Ultra silver for the first time in months the other night (I'm super gold).

Matchmaking is really good about skill level in my experience.

I fought an Ultra silver for the first time in months the other night (I'm super gold).

Matchmaking is really good about skill level in my experience.

Yeah. Normally it's really good in my experience as well.
I've been doing some simple statistics thanks to the v-league.pro website, and on average something like 50% of my matches are within 500 LP and 90% are within 1000 LP of my LPs (at the time of the match), which is why I am finding the current behavior to be really strange.

Marvel

could never
I'll also add that the MM when it comes to ranks is extremely good, has been for a while now. Rarely fight much higher levels, always around my own.

Bro.... You wanna talk bad matchup against Guile... try S1 Gief against Guile/Sim/Chun I feel no sympathy to people whos' mains are starting to get rough match ups. Welcome to the real world.

Why? I'm not saying Giefs awful matchups should exist either. I'd much rather a fighting game that didn't have matchups that feel like they were vastly in favour of a single character.

I felt sympathy for Gief in S1. I feel that some aspects of this game are poorly designed and we should all be asking for better.

With that said I'm open to being wrong about a matchup, the other guy that posted some Rashid videos did have some useful tools in them and made me think it might be a little bit more winnable for Rashid. Those videos of Gacht are the only videos where I've seen a high level Rashid actually win. Both Orange Man and John Takeuchi have made me think the matchup wasn't very approachable. Both of them have made the matchup look like it's 10-1 in the past, completely shutting Rashid out.

MM is awful at plat+

That's not too surprising, though, given the size of the player-base.
Based on estimates from August (link), once you get to platinum and up, you are dealing with around 1% of the entire player-base, around 1.5% if we count ultra gold and up, and around 2.5% if we count super gold and up.

So there are simply not a lot of people that you can be matched up against, without going outside your league bracket, once you get to platinum. You are either going to wait a long time for a match or get matched up with somebody far outside your range.

ElFly

Of course they made jump in worse except for this broken cross up.

[I
MG]https://media.giphy.com/media/hIj32dEzPvEBi/giphy.gif[/IMG]

Also this guy a lag switcher, he tried to lag the game when he was close to dizzying me and that he didn't want a rematch. Casual is very serious.

maybe the lag was inside you all this time

Why? I'm not saying Giefs awful matchups should exist either. I'd much rather a fighting game that didn't have matchups that feel like they were vastly in favour of a single character.

I felt sympathy for Gief in S1. I feel that some aspects of this game are poorly designed and we should all be asking for better.

With that said I'm open to being wrong about a matchup, the other guy that posted some Rashid videos did have some useful tools in them and made me think it might be a little bit more winnable for Rashid. Those videos of Gacht are the only videos where I've seen a high level Rashid actually win. Both Orange Man and John Takeuchi have made me think the matchup wasn't very approachable. Both of them have made the matchup look like it's 10-1 in the past, completely shutting Rashid out.

That's literally impossible in fighting games unless your game is awfully homogenized. FANG, Gief, and the low tiers of S1 can beat their bad matchups. It's not completely out of the realm of possibility.

Ucchedavāda;227361966 said:
That's not too surprising, though, given the size of the player-base.
Based on estimates from August (link), once you get to platinum and up, you are dealing with around 1% of the entire player-base, around 1.5% if we count ultra gold and up, and around 2.5% if we count super gold and up.

So there are simply not a lot of people that you can be matched up against, without going outside your league bracket, once you get to platinum. You are either going to wait a long time for a match or get matched up with somebody far outside your range.

Which is why i hate ranked in this game. They need a better system.

That's literally impossible in fighting games unless your game is awfully homogenized. FANG, Gief, and the low tiers of S1 can beat their bad matchups. It's not completely out of the realm of possibility.

I don't think that's true. You honestly don't think some of Gief's matchups couldn't have been better from the outset? Even on paper it's pretty clear that the character was going to have a very hard time in certain situations.

It's easy to say that you can beat your worst matchup but it's a problem when that win requires your opponent to make pretty significant mistakes rather than it being the result of your skill. It can make the gameplay lack a sense of agency, which is less fun. If I win through capitalising on my opponents mistakes I at least want to feel as though I pressured them into making those mistakes but against someone like Guile it doesn't feel like that. I just guessed correctly and he pressed the wrong button at the wrong time, the gameplay is brain dead.

You can also make the skill ceiling and skill floor so high that player skill will always sooner be the differentiating factor rather than character qualities. That's the alternative to homogeneity, and that's what we saw in SFIV, where top players would compensate matchup weaknesses with very advanced and complex playstyles.

HardRojo

I'd buy Akuma with FM but I don't want to waste 100k FM on him right now as I'm getting the Season Pass anyway, but as a poor college student, I need money for dem New Year's Eve and Day celebrations (plus a friend's birthday 2 days after) so I guess I'll wait till mid Jan. He just looks too fun to use :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom