• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next ranking tournament for CPT is Cannes and that won't be until Feb 24-26.

Final Round is the first CPT Premier and that is March 10-12.

CPT might not start until March, which would mean Cannes can't be a ranking event.

For Europe next year I'm expecting a lot of Dreamhacks and trade shows to get points, rather than community-run events.

CPT might not start until March, which would mean Cannes can't be a ranking event.

For Europe next year I'm expecting a lot of Dreamhacks and trade shows to get points, rather than community-run events.

I hope they don't start it until March so we can get another balance patch before then.
LOL

FinKL

Since people just said Snake should finally drop Gief: https://twitter.com/fubarduck/status/814226616654188544

Japan thinks he's really strong. Apparently because of st.lk xx lariat!? Not sure.

What's the difference between Strong and Scary? Scary as in their rushdown mixups are hard to deal with and Strong is the same as "Good"?

Surprised Akuma's not on there yet, I'd rate him pretty good as his combos are so easy to do and deal a lot of damage.

Please, contain your excitement! ;)

But for real I think I may just go ahead and start one up. If anyone wants to PM me their CFN, rank and main(S) feel free.

I also considered just starting it and making it publicly editable so people could hop in there and enter their ranks and mains and adjust on the fly, but I'm worried about some random person on the internet messing with it.

What do you all think?

I personally am on the FG Discord, it's such a pain to add all those names and worst yet, you have no idea if they are available to play at that moment.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I think scary is the explosive comeback potential basically. You really don't want to defend against a fully loaded Balrog because you can get overwhelmed so easily and lose in one reset.

And I think Akuma isn't as good as people think. His health is too low and his neutral game too weak.

tragic

Developer
Well get it out

SF5 ibuki is shit

Learn how to block the slide

I feel SFV Ibuki is her most interesting version yet. I found SF4 version really repetitive (and ultimately boring). Sure, you could win with her, but outside of doing Sako combos for marginally more damage, the real strength was a smokescreen (IMO).

She has so many interesting tools in SFV (and moreso in S2). Lots of creativity available and she can be played at least a couple of different ways. I'll be honest, if it wasn't for Ibuki in S1, I probably wouldn't have kept playing.

That being said, I do enjoy Rashido now too =).

Tried ranked again just to see how i feel. As an ultra bronze currently i know i sit in the ultra bronze / silver level (alt pc account)

2 ultra silvers
1 silver who i ended up winning 2:1
1 afk super bronze
1 ultra bronze chun li who beat me match one then RQ just as i was close to winning second match. Even more anoying as i checked their status, they had moved to battle lounge and taken the lost points just to deny me my points. Oh well.
Couple of other super bronzes that i beat.

Think i will just stick to casual. Match making is just as wonky (if not better as at ultra bronze you fight a lot of silvers and ultra bronzes) without any of the stress of the points system and miss matches / RQ's etc.

Tried ranked again just to see how i feel. As an ultra bronze currently i know i sit in the ultra bronze / silver level (alt pc account)

2 ultra silvers
1 silver who i ended up winning 2:1
1 afk super bronze
1 ultra bronze chun li who beat me match one then RQ just as i was close to winning second match. Even more anoying as i checked their status, they had moved to battle lounge and taken the lost points just to deny me my points. Oh well.
Couple of other super bronzes that i beat.

Think i will just stick to casual. Match making is just as wonky (if not better as at ultra bronze you fight a lot of silvers and ultra bronzes) without any of the stress of the points system and miss matches / RQ's etc.

Fuck playing Ranked. I love Casual. I see more variety both in player skill level and character variety. I might rank up to Sliver and just quit there.

FluxWaveZ

Is there any comprehensive guide video or text about how to fight Rashid? No matter the character I play, this dude is freaking crazy.

It's like he takes the concept of "turns" to their logical extremes. When it's his turn, you better sit back and respect it, 'cause you're going to eat it if you don't. It's probably gonna last a while, too. When it's your turn to finally do your thing, you better capitalize, because if you mess up it's back to step 1.

That plus his mobility makes it so hard to get him pinned down, and it's hard to keep calm.

Fuck playing Ranked. I love Casual. I see more variety both in player skill level and character variety. I might rank up to Sliver and just quit there.

I would recommend ultra bronze as it seems to give a good mix of super bronze, ultra bronze and silver with the occasional above that. At silver it tends to be silver - ultra silver with golds showing up too.

I find ultra bronze gives good veriety of match ups from easy to challenging which is what im after as a casual player.

Alright, time to stop playing. I got matched up with somebody where the connection (5 bars!) was so bad that we were both teleporting all over, rollback city, background animations would stutter to a halt, and when I got hit by an ex tatsu, the animation visibly slowed down to a near stop and sped up again. I have never had a match this bad before, neither in V nor in IV. But after declining a rematch (why would you even ask for that? Why?!), I get matched up against the same person again, the very next match.

FluxWaveZ

Ucchedavāda;227377342 said:
Alright, time to stop playing. I got matched up with somebody where the connection (5 bars!) was so bad that we were both teleporting all over, rollback city, background animations would stutter to a halt, and when I got hit by an ex tatsu, the animation visibly slowed down to a near stop and sped up again. I have never had a match this bad before, neither in V nor in IV. But after declining a rematch (why would you even ask for that? Why?!), I get matched up against the same person again, the very next match.

I've been having significant connection issues with people recently, even though the game says it's 5 bars. Might be their servers acting up... again.

HardRojo

Is there any comprehensive guide video or text about how to fight Rashid? No matter the character I play, this dude is freaking crazy.

It's like he takes the concept of "turns" to their logical extremes. When it's his turn, you better sit back and respect it, 'cause you're going to eat it if you don't. It's probably gonna last a while, too. When it's your turn to finally do your thing, you better capitalize, because if you mess up it's back to step 1.

That plus his mobility makes it so hard to get him pinned down, and it's hard to keep calm.

I hate it when it seems like during the round they're being cautious and then all of a sudden dial the crazy up a thousand notches and start throwing spirals and eagle kicks for no reason. I knew my eagle kick punish with Nash, but I'm going to have to figure something out for Urien and Guile.

I've been having significant connection issues with people recently, even though the game says it's 5 bars. Might be their servers acting up... again.

It listed that person as 5 bars when I accepted the first match, then as 3 bars on the re-match screen (Decline! Decline! Decline!), and then as 5 bars when I (unknowingly) accepted the next match against them, so there does seem to be something weird going on.

But I haven't actually had many problems since I started playing again, earlier this month, except for mainly being matched up with people 1-2k LP below my own (increasingly inflated) LP today. I've played 99 matches today, in total, and only 4 matches had any rollback, and then I get this guy for two matches in a row. So I was a bit surprised / horrified.

Hopefully these issues will be fixed soon, for both of us!

Yes, I am counting. Yes, it is silly.

Dartastic

Man. Having some real dilemmas with the season pass. Considering buying the 2nd one, but at the same time the entire freaking game with season 1 and 2 DLC is on sale right now on steam for only 17 more than the DLC. Fucking hell.
LLShC.gif

cordy

Banned
Tbh, I said I wouldn't get the S2 pass since I want classic characters like Sagat and Sakura, I ended up buying Akuma with my FM. After playing him for a bit, I'm loving him and it feels like I'm back into the game again like I was with the first 2 months of it being released. Now I'm actually wondering about these new characters. Even though I used FM to get Akuma, I might actually buy the S2 pass given Capcom's track record. Alright, I'm in. Let's see where it goes. So far I'm just playing Akuma and going through Survival's modes just trying things out, sometimes I go to VS CPU to do things as well. Hell at times I go into Training and let me and the CPU duke it out a bit.

What other extras is this game supposed to get? What else did Capcom say it's going to get besides characters? I know Arcade Mode's coming but what else besides that?

Neoxon

Tbh, I said I wouldn't get the S2 pass since I want classic characters like Sagat and Sakura, I ended up buying Akuma with my FM. After playing him for a bit, I'm loving him and it feels like I'm back into the game again like I was with the first 2 months of it being released. Now I'm actually wondering about these new characters. Even though I used FM to get Akuma, I might actually buy the S2 pass given Capcom's track record. So far I'm just playing Akuma and going through Survival's modes just trying things out, sometimes I go to VS CPU to do things as well. Hell at times I go into Training and let me and the CPU duke it out a bit.

What other extras is this game supposed to get? What else did Capcom say it's going to get besides characters? I know Arcade Mode's coming but what else besides that?
There's also Extra Battle, which I'm guessing is you fighting the NPC characters from the General Story. There's also references towards a 2nd Cinematic Story Mode in the Season 2 files (as well as references towards a Spain stage). This is on top of the publicly-announced Alex & Ibuki Nostalgia Costumes, Akiman's Chun-Li costume, & the SFII Thailand stage.

Tbh, I said I wouldn't get the S2 pass since I want classic characters like Sagat and Sakura, I ended up buying Akuma with my FM. After playing him for a bit, I'm loving him and it feels like I'm back into the game again like I was with the first 2 months of it being released. Now I'm actually wondering about these new characters. Even though I used FM to get Akuma, I might actually buy the S2 pass given Capcom's track record. So far I'm just playing Akuma and going through Survival's modes just trying things out, sometimes I go to VS CPU to do things as well. Hell at times I go into Training and let me and the CPU duke it out a bit.

There was talk of an "Extra Battle" mode, in which you fight various special characters (e.g. Bison henchmen), but it has not been mentioned since it was first announced:

Fight against special CPU bosses in the ultimate challenge. Earn in-game rewards upon completion.
http://www.capcom-unity.com/haunts/blog/2016/02/11/sfv-character-story-costumes-and-new-mode-details

Also, the talk of arcade mode is based on menu entries that modders have found, but to my knowledge Capcom has not said anything about adding such a mode (and even denied it in the context of the actual arcade release next year). So those menu items may well be stuff left over from early in development. While this is a bit pessimistic, I would not expect anything in particular to be added to the game. If Capcom is actually going to add more modes to the game, then we'll probably only hear of it very close to release. For example, despite DInput being a sought after feature for a long time, we only learned of it in advance thanks to their accidentally making a beta version publicly available.

Ryce

There's also references towards a 2nd Cinematic Story Mode in the Season 2 files (as well as references towards a Spain stage).
Is that according to X-Kira? He's a weird one. His Facebook posts are a combination of legitimate data-mining and blatant lies (which he sometimes deletes after being proven wrong). I don't know why he won't just stick to telling the truth.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Guy named Blaesz joins my battle lounge a rank above the range in the comment, waits for the full countdown to pick his fucking character, wins the first round, loses the second, and quits. Why.

Is that according to X-Kira? He's a weird one. His Facebook posts are a combination of legitimate data-mining and blatant lies (which he sometimes deletes after being proven wrong). I don't know why he won't just stick to telling the truth.

Didn't a bunch of SFV voice actors hit another recording session? That had to be for either arcade mode or the second story.

Perineum

I'm truly digging Laura in S2. However, I desperately hate the Akuma match up. With his fireball in the air to come in I am unsure what to do to punish on reaction. On prediction i can QCF +HP, but on reaction it loses out. Stand MP is no go as well.

Other issues in the match up I suffer from is forward HP from Akuma on my wake up, or in the range where I try to low forward. I just feel my footsie tools to get in go out the window. Full screen he wins, mid screen he wins, and up close on my knock down the guessing game is super rough without a get off me move to keep him honest and in check.

Any seasoned Laura players have tips in this match up? What normal should I be abusing more in the neutral ? Any answer to jump fireball as a reaction, maybe v skill forward to go underneath ?

I would recommend ultra bronze as it seems to give a good mix of super bronze, ultra bronze and silver with the occasional above that. At silver it tends to be silver - ultra silver with golds showing up too.

I find ultra bronze gives good veriety of match ups from easy to challenging which is what im after as a casual player.

I'm sure playing Akuma will knock me down to Ultra Bronze if I ever got high enough to Sliver lol.

Did someone already post that the FAT app was updated with S2 stuff? Man I love it. Just labbing it out with Birdie and Akuma while just glancing at my phone is much, much better than having to scroll through the goofy prima guide.

They should really update that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom