• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
He's gotten some decent buffs this season but also a few nerfs which are pretty serious. Mainly the increase in startup of cr.mp and st.mk.

He just FEELS not fun to play, it's difficult to describe. In season 1, he felt fun but season 2 as a whole just doesn't feel that enjoyable and FANG suffers in that as well.

If I had to try and explain, it feels like FANG is the "fish for counter hits" character in terms of offense. Against a player with good defense, he just doesn't feel that strong and he still feels so weak compared to a large chunk of the cast now that it's not even funny.game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/adjust2017/en/1.html

Don't worry what anyone says man, just pick the character you want and enjoy it.

I mained FANG, a low tier character, but I still never had trouble beating top tier characters and players once I got familiar with the matchups.

Thanks for the info man!
I stopped playin' back in Season 1 when the issues made almost impossible to play the game. (Long long load times, not getting XP after matches, disconnects,etc).
Where the load times improved on Season 2 ?

mbpm1

Thanks for the info man!
I stopped playin' back in Season 1 when the issues made almost impossible to play the game. (Long long load times, not getting XP after matches, disconnects,etc).
Where the load times improved on Season 2 ?

None of that has improved much

Bob White

As far as I'm concerned, super plat is really just a fancy name for super silver. Which means in the grand scheme of things, I'm still only around super silver rank. The point creep has probably made a lot of people, like me, think they're better than they are.

Must get better. I feel like sf is 95% ass players who play other ass players who hang themselves. And the top 5% are players who can actually beat someone instead of just waiting for their opponent to shit themselves.

As far as I'm concerned, super plat is really just a fancy name for super silver. Which means in the grand scheme of things, I'm still only around super silver rank. The point creep has probably made a lot of people, like me, think they're better than they are.

Must get better. I feel like sf is 95% ass players who play other ass players who hang themselves. And the top 5% are players who can actually beat someone instead of just waiting for their opponent to shit themselves.
You're 100% right.

FluxWaveZ

I mean, it's not like that defensive style of waiting for the other player to make their own mistakes is a bad way to go. It's why everyone where I live keeps dying to Snafoo week after week.

I mean, it's not like that defensive style of waiting for the other player to make their own mistakes is a bad way to go. It's why everyone where I live keeps dying to Snafoo week after week.

Snafoo's been at least top 3 Sim's in NA or even the world in SF4 & 5. Every other MU he plays is a bad MU and he still makes it work lol

Urien hits pretty hard
then again its on karin

Mr. X

Incredible normals, high range normals, has some particularly good specials, V-Trigger can lead into some ridiculous shenanigans and resets, his EX tackle is a good YOLO move, actually has legitimately damaging anti airs, and has an EX invincible reversal.

In a matchup that's even remotely neutral heavy, he is VERY strong. Thing is that he doesn't have anydownsides to counter like low health/stun or slow normals or anything so that gives him a significant advantage.
If this is what players see, no wonder they lose to him.

He has slow normals with long recovery. You can sweep him or standing long poke if he whiffs stMK or any hard button. They're great in terms of hit/block, range and damage.

Safeness of specials depends on spacing. If you keep moving tackle will be unsafe. Comboed into, lk and mk tackle are 0 and - on hit. 0 is bad with your fastest normal being 4 frames, you're giving up momentum or lose your turn vs 3f normals. +1 is neutral vs 3f with 4f normals.

EX tackle 0 on block, throwing it out willy nilly gets you CC or hit/trade. Unless he VT, you need to press something after blocking.

EX Knee is + on block. Otherwise you need to space to be unpunishable. Great anti fireball on prediction and anti jump in some matchups. You just AA otherwise.

Most can meaty light and recover to block and punish EX headbutt. Regular HB you can crouch, great to catch walking and jumping though.

Fireball sucks if he isn't doing max range normal cancel into it. If he didn't have the AA version, I'd say don't fireball in neutral.

Urien does have a great AA game with fMP to catch far away, stHK to catch close and cross up, crHP when it isn't stuffed. Armor LP Headbutt best AA in game.

Throw is amazing.

Walk and dash are great.

Mixups are great. Cross unders, air resets, fMP, comboable crLK, frame traps, chargable normals (stHK pulls his hurtbox back to bait throws), fireball chargable to alter timings, dashing in and out

Damage and stun are great. Builds meter fast.

Great V tools. All 3 are great. VT might make him the best in game when he has it and you can't reversal (another reason I hate lack of meterless reversals).

Outfits are great.

Basically, the worst if you're easily conditioned. To beat Urien, force him to block and take frame traps or have a better fireball game. He wants you at his stMK, crMK and dash range. There he can space safe tackle, throw out headbutt to catch you walking. Any closer, he's too slow, any further you can whiff punish if he whiffs anything basically.

S1 Chun was okay at best imo.

Idk why people had trouble with her st.HP, you can whiff punish it free on recovery.
Every character could AA air legs too, no issue here tbh
her buttons are decent, can all be whiff punished.
her fireball is kinda slow and jank, I wouldn't use it in neutral imo
her st.LK AA was fine, yea she got a 50/50 off of it in most situations but it lost to Ryu's j.LK sometimes so it was fine
B-HP being a force field is fine, you shouldn't be pressing buttons after she presses her buttons anyway

S1 Chun was okay at best imo.

Idk why people had trouble with her st.HP, you can whiff punish it free on recovery.
Every character could AA air legs too, no issue here tbh
her buttons are decent, can all be whiff punished.
her fireball is kinda slow and jank, I wouldn't use it in neutral imo
her st.LK AA was fine, yea she got a 50/50 off of it in most situations but it lost to Ryu's j.LK sometimes so it was fine
B-HP being a force field is fine, you shouldn't be pressing buttons after she presses her buttons anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Byg0_TfQeY

I can't figure out who fits his playstyle. He likes a character with long pokes and setup potential that's what I've gathered. Is he joining the Urien army?...Oh No.

I think he's been putting time into Ibuki but I suppose time will tell. Poor dude might genuinely be suffering from a character crisis.

Mr. X

So basically, what he said then

So you completely agree, basically lol
No, I disagree with safe specials and no weakness. When all the strong cast are in your face or Guile, Urien isn't some beacon of free wins. Any 4f character with a +1 or 0 on block normal/special should know that's not strong in reality. FANG hated fighting Chun due to this and her 3f jab.

mbpm1

No, I disagree with safe specials and no weakness. When all the strong cast are in your face or Guile, Urien isn't some beacon of free wins.

So the same as most of the cast then. Which means that he's not weak in those areas

None of what you said disproves safe specials. None of them are particularly slow besides his air knees and all of them are at worst somewhat negative except for badly misspaced tackles

Saying EX tackle gets you hit/trade if you throw it out randomly is nonsense. 99% of the time trying to intercept that or predict a good place to stop it gets you hit.

Moaradin

Urien buttons are all really slow and have long recovery. His defense isn't great and I think his EX headbutt is pretty bad on wake up. You can meaty it on wakeup and still recover fast enough to block. It can also be low profiled, which part of the reason FANG is so strong against him. Getting your EX reversal beat out can be pretty infuriating.

Don't get me wrong, Urien is a great character. But he has weaknesses and some pretty tough MUs.

Mr. X

The cr.MK buff was my "wait.. why???" change lol. It really doesn't make any sense and he doesn't need it but ayyyy
+2 oB gives him 3f frame traps off it using stLP, crLp and crLK. This leads to a better throw game too. He had to use stLK before.

Urien is great overall and I'm going to quit discussing the holes in his game since S2 Urien is figured out.

Laura is okay at best too. Imo, she's maybe top 15. Inbetween top 10-15. She struggles bro.

Her buttons are mediocre, they nerfed her damage, they nerfed her throw oki, they nerfed her V-Reversal. Her fireball is okay at best and can be low profiled. Do you know how annoying it is to have people just cr.MK or sweep your fireball? tbh it shouldn't go away when she gets hit. Also, her HP elbow is okay at best, IMO it shouldn't ever trade with jump ins. She doesn't even have a DP and her armour starts up at frame 3. Her overhead is really bad on block and really slow. Her target combo is absolutely useless if you don't have V-Trigger.. like what does it do? maybe her st.MK should be an overhead idk -_-??

Her damage is okay AT BEST. AT BEST. If you factor in that this is SFV, her damage is below average. and most of the time if you do get hit, its your fault. Command throw? why you no jump. Frame trap? why u no block? its so simple man.

buff laura

Moaradin

I get bodied by every Laura I fight. Legit don't know how to deal with that type of play style. But to be fair, I was pretty bad against her in season 1, so its not a character MU problem.

Moaradin

Someone needs to update the mikathinking.jpg for season 2.

Have you seen this? Long guide from Javits:
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s717...7667399fd179/735241d8225a1b2e4092d208d2c30a74

Thanks, I'll read this later. I think I need more experience most importantly. I alwsys go long periods without ever fighting a Laura, and when I do, a couple rounds isn't long enough for me to adjust. I just get blown up in 2 mixups and the round is over. I need to play a long extended set with someone...

CountBlack pls

Mr. X

Thanks, I'll read this later. I think I need more experience most importantly. I alwsys go long periods without ever fighting a Laura, and when I do, a couple rounds isn't long enough for me to adjust. I just get blown up in 2 mixups and the round is over. I need to play a long extended set with someone...

CountBlack pls
This is how I feel vs Ibuki or Birdie

CountBlack pls

but if you learn the MU how will I win -_-??

i'll be on tonight b

CountBlack pls
Well problem for me is I play a bunch of fraud Lauras in ranked and then I'll play Rocwell or Count Laura and get bopped. I feel I should pickup Laura just to learn the matchup...

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I get bodied by every Laura I fight. Legit don't know how to deal with that type of play style. But to be fair, I was pretty bad against her in season 1, so its not a character MU problem.

This is me every single Laura fight. She just hurts my brain. Can't judge her timing, her movement, nothing.

Someone needs to update the mikathinking.jpg for season 2.

Have you seen this? Long guide from Javits:
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s717...7667399fd179/735241d8225a1b2e4092d208d2c30a74

raw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom