• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigmaah

Laura got that one elbow normal that literally whiff punishes from a mile away and I think u can combo into the grab thing that causes knockdown? I'm not too sure.

That shit is OD.

Yeah, I was actually just thinking about any button once she has V-Trigger on deck. But I do think the combination of cr.MP, st.MP, st.HK, cr.HK and maybe even st.HP given Laura's other tools kinda makes up for that, if we compare the two. Mika's buttons are all pretty subpar, so then she had two that were among the best in the game with f.MP and cr.HP. Now she doesn't have any that are that great.

Yea her buttons are a lot better than Mika's in S2, But Laura's cr.MP was nerfed, st.MP nerfed, st.HK nerfed and I don't think her cr.HK is really all that special or different than most other sweeps.
And I honestly think Lady Mika is overrated. You blocked it on wake-up, and she's +3. What then? She can either go for a command grab that launches the opponent across the screen, or she can go for a st.MP. How does this differ from a mix-up/frame trap from any other +2 (or more) move in the game?
We can say Laura doesn't have a move as good as Alex's lariat, either, but that doesn't really inform anything at all about the strength of their overall toolset. Lady Mika doesn't have great range, and it can barely be used as a viable anti-air, too. I'd say it's not even one of the best buttons in the game.

Lady Mika is really only done on knockdown situations. My issue with it was that, you're already guessing between being command thrown again or meaty, then you guess right on blocking the normal, but then you're in a 50/50 after blocking Lady Mika because it still tick throws into a command throw or button. I can't even V-Reversal it on block for guessing right in that situation lol. And it crush counters lol.

Alex' neutral game was overall stronger in S1 and that's what I liked about him. Lariat is better than any of Laura's buttons too (thats an issue I have with this game of situations/buttons being so similar to each other). Too bad they nerfed Alex' buttons for whatever reason lol.
I meant that, even in S1, she had dangerous lows, and she's a grappler. Isn't she the only grappler in the game who has a special cancelable cr.MK? And that leads to a 50/50 situation. Generally, you're not afraid to hold back against one because their lows won't kill you. But it's a different story against Laura and, on top of that, you can also get punished if you hold low for too long due to her OH. This is 100% crazy for a grappler to have.

Yea her cr.MK is a solid poke. Tbh Laura really doesn't play like a traditional grappler in any sense especially with her toolset. She just happens to have a command throw just like Necalli does for whatever reason. A lot like Abel in SF4 imo.

Moaradin

Nah

f.HP has a glaring hole. It whiffs on crouching opponents.

Think it makes up for it by being +3 on block making every situation a mixup, and the faster start up than Urien's chop. Urien chop is -2 on block so you can always press a button after it, unless he charges it. Which then it's +5 on block but 22 frame start up is one of the slowest moves in the game lol. Plus Lariat can be used in anti air situations and the chop can't unless it's a funky situation.

They're both still some of the best buttons in the game.

Edzi

Think it makes up for it by being +3 on block making every situation a mixup, and the faster start up than Urien's chop. Urien chop is -2 on block so you can always press a button after it, unless he charges it. Which then it's +5 on block but 22 frame start up is one of the slowest moves in the game lol. Plus Lariat can be used in anti air situations and the chop can't unless it's a funky situation.

They're both still some of the best buttons in the game.

You're really overestimating Alex's f.HP. It has zero range, a really finicky hitbox, and is super easy to punish on whiff. It's mostly a fantastic meaty at point blank, but risky outside of that.

Moaradin

Not saying it doesn't have downsides. It's still an amazing button. The Urien Chop is also pretty easy to punish. I don't think you can use it as willy-nilly as some of you believe.

Moaradin

You can more than Alex though, since it has range.

So it's Urien Chop:

+ crush counter
+ bit further range
+ can charge it to make it special cancelable and more plus
- slow start up
- long recovery
- negative on block unless charged

vs.

Lariat:
+ crush counter
+ plus 3 on block
+ can anti air
- whiffs on crouch
- slow start up
- long recovery

Both have their strengths and weaknesses, but I personally think the +3 on block mixup is ridiculously good. That button was amazing before season 2 and they buffed it lol.

Edzi

So it's Urien Chop:

+ crush counter
+ bit further range
+ can charge it to make it special cancelable and more plus
- slow start up
- long recovery
- negative on block unless charged

vs.

Lariat:
+ crush counter
+ plus 3 on block
+ can anti air
- whiffs on crouch
- slow start up
- long recovery

Both have their strengths and weaknesses, but I personally think the +3 on block mixup is ridiculously good. That button was amazing before season 2 and they buffed it lol.

It's good for sure, but I don't think you get as many opportunities to really take advantage of it in a lot of matchups compared to Urien.

Edzi

GGs Producer, close sets. Kinda sad that I did better against your Chun with a character I barely use than I did with my main. Though I legitimately think that's his worst matchup in the game by far, so I guess it makes sense.

Sayad

To be honest, I'm having easier time with S2 Urien than I had in S1 with Chun! Maybe his style just fits mine more, but wouldn't be surprised if he's actually better! There's certainly less room for mistakes when playing against S2 Urien.

Producer

GGs Producer, close sets. Kinda sad that I did better against your Chun with a character I barely use than I did with my main. Though I legitimately think that's his worst matchup in the game by far, so I guess it makes sense.

Ggs man. Yeah it does seem pretty painful for Alex heh...akuma is definately a better matchup and yours is solid too. I still need more Akuma practice too.

We've gone from downplaying characters to buttons, haha.
His f.HP and V-Trigger parry are really the only things keeping him from being dead last. It is a great button. In my opinion it wouldn't be farfetched to call it one of the top ten best normals in the game. If it didn't whiff on crouching opponents then it would likely be one of the top five.

Ahh, don't get me wrong. Alex f+HP is awesome. I was just being cheeky, hehe. Only thing bringing it down is it being duckable of course.

Urien HP is damn good too. And it comes into play more cause he is so damn good.

I wish the same could be said for his cr.HP AA. It is a better button than before, but in a game with as much input lag as SFV an 8 frame AA is still a bit too slow. It doesn't help that it doesn't trade well or lead to especially large damage. A traded cr.HP from Urien can still be followed up with a combo. Season 3 needs to buff heavy button AAs more for characters that don't have a strong AA game outside of metered reversals imo. That would mean guys like Necalli, Zangief and Urien are fine as is.
Ahh, don't get me wrong. Alex f+HP is awesome. I was just being cheeky, hehe. Only thing bringing it down is it being duckable of course.

Urien HP is damn good too. And it comes into play more cause he is so damn good.
It is a nice damage boost and I'm glad at least one of his normals got a good buff even if it wasn't one I think he needed. Dude got massacred otherwise in the normals department.

And this is why the Alex Lariat vs Urien HP spam is moot, just fucking Duck...duck Urien and the fucker has a over head from the same damn button..

Moaradin

That overhead is so slow and so easy to react to lol

If we're talking about the Urien vs Alex match up, I think Alex does pretty well against Urien. He's probably one of the tougher characters I fight.

So apparently the recent maintenance introduced problems with loggin in for some people, and resulted in random people getting their LPs reset. Capcom has just acknowledged both of these problems and are working on them:

We are aware of a recent bug where LP was reset to 0 for certain users. Our team is currently investigating and intend to resolve ASAP.
https://twitter.com/SFVServer/status/821996460254248960

We confirmed some login issues after the 1/17 PST (Tues) maintenance which were addressed and users should be able to login normally now.
https://twitter.com/SFVServer/status/821994725955682304

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Has WNF always run till 3AM?(West Coast) I always thought it wrapped up earlier than that. Kinda surreal seeing Tasty and Sajam commentating while most people have gone home for some shuteye.

Trying to play now is horrible, everyone lagging, player name Nicelagbro, fucking lagswitch cunt, he was just going crazy with Ken knew he was cheating and would get away with murder..never seen so many wild uppercuts not even in rookie league..

Marvel

could never
He was probably just playing on a shitty connection or using Wi-fi with hella packet loss. I'd like to think a lot of SFV players are not putting together an actual Lag Switch device lol

HardRojo

Ucchedavāda;228664358 said:
So apparently the recent maintenance introduced problems with loggin in for some people, and resulted in random people getting their LPs reset. Capcom has just acknowledged both of these problems and are working on them:

https://twitter.com/SFVServer/status/821996460254248960

https://twitter.com/SFVServer/status/821994725955682304

Game's less than a month away from having been out for a year... wow.

I need to fierce more often with Urien then, I hardly do it.

Ucchedavāda;228664358 said:
intend to resolve ASAP.

This isn't even funny anymore, just depressing

He was probably just playing on a shitty connection or using Wi-fi with hella packet loss. I'd like to think a lot of SFV players are not putting together an actual Lag Switch device lol

If they are playing shitty with a bad connection, then they probably know and using it in their favor.

Ran into a Diamond Vega a while ago who didn't play any better than a Silver Player that lag throughout the match.

When the servers fucked up in S2 ran into a 20k Chun LI 3 times who lagged horribly in all three games and was impossible to play against.

Usually will just see the character intro stutter as the indication they are messing with the game's netcode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom