• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Most pro players seem to agree that it's time to Pick A Top Tier and we will get less character representation in tournaments. Question is just who they think is part of that. I would say there's about 10 characters that are deemed viable.

Most pro players seem to agree that it's time to Pick A Top Tier and we will get less character representation in tournaments. Question is just who they think is part of that. I would say there's about 10 characters that are deemed viable.

Yea if you're a pro player and this is your job.. you gotta give up playing characters you enjoy and play to win. Daigo's gonna try go against that and play a character he enjoys and still try to win but.. we'll see how S2 Ryu goes for him. Unless there's a patch before CPT starts ofc.

In this game, I think you need a secondary character to cover bad MU's, so Xian having Fang as a backup could still work out for him if the character truly beats Urien for example. But Fang can't cover all MU's himself. Neither can most characters but some 6-4's aren't too bad to overcome with how quickly a character can win in some circumstances.

IMO the characters where you don't need a secondary because they cover all MU's:

Chun
Cammy
Guile
Necalli
Karin

For Urien, while I think the character is amazing, I don't know what MU's he necessarily wins 6-4. I don't know what advantages he necessarily has over other characters even though he's really really good.

Moaradin

I used to think the Urien/Gief matchup was really bad for Gief in season 1, but now I'm not so sure. The last few times I fought Gief have been really scary lol. It's still probably in Urien's favor but it's not nearly as lopsided anymore.

The only MUs that are really bad for Urien right now are Guile and FANG. Potentially Cammy but I haven't played nearly as much of them since season 2.

Urien/Gief seems like a 6-4 MU in Urien's favor.

I used to think the Urien/Gief matchup was really bad for Gief in season 1, but now I'm not so sure. The last few times I fought Gief have been really scary lol.

Yea that's a MU where I think Urien has the advantage, but it's not in counterpick territory yet imo. Like I can't see myself losing to Gief then saying damn I should bust out Urien for this MU. Urien's V-Skill is definitely one of the biggest advantages in the match + the fireball ofc lol.

With this new Gief tho.. it could be 5/5 idk.

ElFly

I used to think the Urien/Gief matchup was really bad for Gief in season 1, but now I'm not so sure. The last few times I fought Gief have been really scary lol.

well better Lariat helps a lot but honestly Urien got way better

he has some unsafe moves to the SPD that some players spam cause other characters cannot punish them but as long as the Urien learns that lesson quick, it's on Urien's favor

Mr. X

Urien players seem to hate the following fights

Cammy
Fang
Vega (faster and longer pokes, faster on ground)
Guile

He beats Gief, Dhalsim and Alex no doubt.

Last season, Urien vs Gief was way better than 6-4.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Where do people rank Akuma now? I really have no idea. Atleast for tournament use, he seems kind of bad. Dies too fast and his neutral game is too weak. Still a glass canon, though.

Ucchedavāda;228671024 said:
You always assume the worst about other people, don't you?

Well if it makes you feel better, I ran into a laggy player, won and left after the first game, matched with him again and had a smooth connection.

The two examples I brought up are players who exploit SFV's netcode whether if it's done being alt-tab, playing on Wifi, downloading or using lag switch.

The video I posted earlier showed a Ken player lagging when starting to lose with people here matching up with him and getting the same experience.

vg260

Maybe a dumb question, but why are people saying Urien is amazing now?

I never really played much 3s, but ended up really liking his design upon release, (especially with the hilarious easter egg outfit) so I just started using him at the end of season one. I don't play much other than to do the weekly challenges for now, so I couldn't pinpoint what makes any one character dominant for the amount of time I play. He seems like he has a very high skill ceiling using his V-trigger? or is there something more obvious I'm missing?

mbpm1

Where do people rank Akuma now? I really have no idea. Atleast for tournament use, he seems kind of bad. Dies too fast and his neutral game is too weak. Still a glass canon, though.

He's either top or bottom 10

So mid tier

There's nothing wrong with him and he has plenty of safe-ish approaches

That makes him top tier in SFV

I never really played much 3s, but ended up really liking his design upon release, (especially with the hilarious easter egg outfit) so I just started using him at the end of season one. I don't play much other than to do the weekly challenges for now, so I couldn't pinpoint what makes any one character dominant for the amount of time I play. He seems like he has a very high skill ceiling using his V-trigger? or is there something more obvious I'm missing?

Incredible normals, high range normals, has some particularly good specials, V-Trigger can lead into some ridiculous shenanigans and resets, his EX tackle is a good YOLO move, actually has legitimately damaging anti airs, and has an EX invincible reversal.

In a matchup that's even remotely neutral heavy, he is VERY strong. Thing is that he doesn't have anydownsides to counter like low health/stun or slow normals or anything so that gives him a significant advantage.

Pompadour

He seemed pretty good in S1 and now he's even better. And Urien doesn't even need his V-Trigger to be good so all the shenanigans that come from that is just gravy. There's a lot of crazy mix-ups you can do with his VT but you can get a lot of mileage out of just using it to convert into big damage off of pokes.

Good and safe buttons, a strong v-trigger which can either be good for offense or comebacks if he gets an opening, and his mixup potential is strong. His only downsides are maybe his fireball game and hes a technical character.

FluxWaveZ

Urien has a very long list of things that he has going for him. The above isn't even mentioning his incredible throw range, and that he now has great anti-air options.

Good and safe buttons, a strong v-trigger which can either be good for offense or comebacks if he gets an opening, and his mixup potential is strong. His only downsides are maybe his fireball game and hes a technical character.

Is he? I don't know if I'd agree with that. Technical in my mind is Juri, Ibuki, Chun-Li, Dhalsim... Urien seems actually pretty straightforward. His V-Trigger shenanigans is as technical as he gets, but you can just get a handful of go-to setups and do well.

Moaradin

Also, are all the players that played the old top tiers just hiding right now? Letting characters like Urien, Balrog, and Guile get all the spotlight? I barely see anyone talk about Cammy, Necalli, or Chun Li anymore. Hell, I barely see them online these days. I don't really get it because these characters could easily still be top 5 right now.

Urien has great buttons, great damage, great specials, ex chariot tackle 7f start up 0 on block, if you're not holding back by the time it's out you're probably already hit, Aegis Reflector, really good AA's now, solid fireball, st.HP from hell, above average health, ex chariot tackle.

Did I mention his ex chariot?

anyway, he's a really solid character and I think more characters should be more like him. Like Valle said, being able to freestyle and having a lot of really solid offensive capabilities instead of being lackluster.

I think Urien is a technical character in a way that you have to have your charging techniques down perfectly to play him at his fullest potential but on the other hand you can play him really dumb and just press st.HP over and over and watch magic happen. Or just ex tackle - V-Trigger cancel into damn near guaranteed damage.

ElFly

he is bad

he has to go fishing for mistakes, but he doesn't have the good poking tools grapplers in SFV have and is super slow. his V-Trigger is good but also goes away fast once you start actually using it so you gotta make it count, and the opponent is gonna be careful. he is a lot like Cammy in this regard but Cammy can easily pressure and get a long combo with her V-Trigger, Akuma is just going to see his pressure blocked

compounded with the lowest health in the cast he is in need of some buffs

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Did you know that the game has a support page about bugs and the status of those?
http://game.capcom.co.jp/sfv_support/en/index.html
It's pretty damn empty.

Also, are all the players that played the old top tiers just hiding right now? Letting characters like Urien, Balrog, and Guile get all the spotlight? I barely see anyone talk about Cammy, Necalli, or Chun Li anymore. Hell, I barely see them online these days. I don't really get it because these characters could easily still be top 5 right now.
https://twitter.com/AmbassadorFoxx/status/821217145573019648

He was good in season 1 and got nothing but buffs while other characters got nerfed. That's pretty much it.

Goddamit, I can't find the web version of the season 2 changes again. Why do they not link to it anywhere?

FluxWaveZ

You barely see Cammy online? She's everywhere. She is part of who people claim to be season 2's top 5.

vg260

Makes sense. Thanks for the info.

I never pick characters on tiers, mostly on style and appearance, but Guile is my favorite character, and Urien's is really cool. His optional suit is boss. I guess people want me to feel guilty if I use them now, but I don't care. I'm just glad there are two I like in SFV, as I'm not digging the roster too much otherwise. Probably doesn't matter much for my skill level anyway.

What were the changes that made FANG so different from S1? I know some of his normals got slower.
Also, wasnt he low tier in S1? Why would they nerf him?
He's gotten some decent buffs this season but also a few nerfs which are pretty serious. Mainly the increase in startup of cr.mp and st.mk.

He just FEELS not fun to play, it's difficult to describe. In season 1, he felt fun but season 2 as a whole just doesn't feel that enjoyable and FANG suffers in that as well.

If I had to try and explain, it feels like FANG is the "fish for counter hits" character in terms of offense. Against a player with good defense, he just doesn't feel that strong and he still feels so weak compared to a large chunk of the cast now that it's not even funny.
Goddamit, I can't find the web version of the season 2 changes again. Why do they not link to it anywhere?
game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/adjust2017/en/1.html

Makes sense.

I never pick characters on tiers, but Guile is my favorite character, and Urien's is really cool. His optional suit is boss. I guess people want me to feel guilty if I use them now, but I don't care. I'm just glad there are two I like in SFV, as I'm not digging the roster too much otherwise. Probably doesn't matter much for my skill level anyway.
Don't worry what anyone says man, just pick the character you want and enjoy it.

I mained FANG, a low tier character, but I still never had trouble beating top tier characters and players once I got familiar with the matchups.

Yea all of those characters are still solid. Cammy & Necalli players are being quiet because they know they got away with robbery in this patch :p

How the hell do you get to this page? Google didn't find it, it's not on the SFV CFN portal and they didn't link to it in any blog post.

Well, here's Urien:
http://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/adjust2017/en/23.html

The stamina and cr.mk buffs are just funny.
It got linked in this thread once and I visited it so often that if I just type "sfv" in my browser, this link shows up lol.
Everyone's being quiet now except people who don't like the game
But they'll get left behind soon.

It is only natural that the new hotness are getting most of the attention since the old top tier hasn't changed nearly enough to warrant building new plans of attack from scratch. As for the online? I think people are taking the opportunity to take new characters for a test drive during this quiet period where most people aren't relying on tournament results to shape their thinking.

Moaradin

You barely see Cammy online? She's everywhere. She is part of who people claim to be season 2's top 5.

I barely see her actually. I think I've fought a couple Cammy and Chun Li players since S2. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've seen a single Necalli.

FluxWaveZ

I barely see her actually. I think I've fought a couple Cammy and Chun Li players since S2. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've seen a single Necalli.

I see a whole lot of Cammy players, and I've seen a few Necallis. Very few Chun-Lis compared to before, though.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yea, I see Cammy a lot and barely any Chuns.
And there's definitely an increase in Lauras and there are fewer Kens and Ryus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom