• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edzi

Edit: man this thread really has slowed down after that wave of negativity last week. Fuuuuuuck

Yep, especially for west coast times. I haven't gotten a game from here in a while, when it used to be pretty easy. The discord is still fairly active though.

I'd be playing more but I'm on hiatus until I get another stick. Waiting on eTokki to restock in February, but I'm mulling over Sanwa or Korean for the time being.

Alright GAF.

This is for you.

I'm going to bend the laws of physics here and feed the hungry with my abilities.

Let's make a bet, destiny.

I'll eat my own ass if SFV gets meaningful information next week as to where the game is headed. A roadmap. A blog post. Something that indicates they are working on shit besides the CPT. Offer ends Wednesday night.

Your move, Capcom.
I'm starting to think Capcom now waits for your ass-eating bets before releasing any info.

Please don't leave this community, we'll need this in the future.
To be fair, they TRIED buffing FANG. It just wasn't enough.
They seriously need to allow me to combo light ryobenda and EX sleeves off of st.lk. It's a 6-frame button and it would allow me to punish blocked overheads reliably.

There's a JP version of the blog is up, and it appears to add a statement that that they are going to provide details about 'when' and 'what' for the CFN update soon:

Original:
「何がどのように改修されるのか」「具体的なアップデート日程」
などの詳細については情報が整い次第ご案内致しますので、
お待ちくださいますようお願い致します。

Translated:
"What is to be remodeled" "Specific update schedule"
As details will be announced as soon as information is prepared,
Thank you for waiting.

This is translated using Google Translate, so caveat emptor.

Also, the list of corrections differs from that given by Harrison on Capcom-Unity (e.g. 5 vs 2 corrections for Juri), but that's probably just be because of different errors in the English and Japanese changelogs.

http://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/column/131372

Ucchedavāda;229184944 said:
There's a JP version of the blog is up, and it appears to add a statement that that they are going to provide details about 'when' and 'what' for the CFN update soon:

Original:

Translated:

This is translated using Google Translate, so caveat emptor.

Also, the list of corrections differs from that given by Harrison on Capcom-Unity (e.g. 5 vs 2 corrections for Juri), but that's probably just be because of different errors in the English and Japanese changelogs.

http://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/column/131372

See this baffles me - who's pulling the strings for SFV? Capcom Japan or Capcom US?

I'm more easily exposed to Capcom US or even Capcom UK for info, but who officially decides what get done and when?

See this baffles me - who's pulling the strings for SFV? Capcom Japan or Capcom US?

I'm more easily exposed to Capcom US or even Capcom UK for info, but who officially decides what get done and when?

My understanding is that it is Capcom JP that has the final say. Which is kind of weird, since as far as I know, it is Capcom US that owns the rights to SF. And JP and US seemingly have some issues communicating.

A bit of Googling turns up this article, which explains it as US owning the rights but JP doing the actual development (this also matches what I've observed on SteamDB in terms of when the depots gets updated). That would explain why JP got pissy about US publishing the development roadmap.

Helen/Kolin leaked?

1ep7eg86t6cy.jpg
Guess it'll be time to eat soon.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I wouldn't even bother with ranked if they had region locking for battle lounges....

SFIV - 10% ranked, 90% battle lounges
SFV - 95% ranked, 5% battle lounges....

The lounges were well done in IV.

The lounges in V are a blasted hellscape of bad design and implementation.

MrCarter

It's better than nothing, honestly. This means they are actively looking at the S2 changes that people don't like, and are on track to fix the netcode. It might be Spring, but at least there's a general timeframe.

I guess a CPT and DLC posts are next. Hopefully we can get more information about arcade and extra battle.

I mean we were moaning about communication and when they do communicate (even if it's not what we expected) people still complain lol. I do like the fact we might have a small balance up before the CPT starts and any fix to CFN is welcome.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Ucchedavāda;229186814 said:
There are some improvements over IV, like the ability to change settings on the fly, and the ability to do FTx. But it's mostly worse.

Kinda sums up SFV in general. Made some good changes, but fucked a load of stuff that they didn't need to.

Moaradin

I thought lobbies in SF4 were worse. I never bothered with them because of how that shit handled spectating. If you had any sort of lag with the people fighting, it would immediately go out of sync and eventually get behind and not even finish the match a lot of times. SFV at least tries to keep it in sync.

MrCarter

At this point, I genuinely think they need a complete overhaul/re-release and fresh start. There's too much bad blood with the game already.

Nah. The core game is there and that's what matters, but a new release like "Super SFV" with all the bells and whistles attached would be good.

I thought lobbies in SF4 were worse. I never bothered with them because of how that shit handled spectating. If you had any sort of lag with the people fighting, it would immediately go out of sync and eventually get behind and not even finish the match a lot of times. SFV at least tries to keep it in sync.

Thinking about it a bit, this is how I see it:

Ultra SF IV:
+ Working geographic filters for lobbies (also flags)
+ Voice chat
+ Steam / PSN integration (easily invite from friend list / view profile)
+ Joining from an invite is easy (can be done just about anywhere)
- No text chat
- First To One matches only
- Changing options requires re-making the lobby
- Spectated matches may fall behind, resulting in the end of matches being cut

SF V:
+ FTx matches
+ More options for lobbies (passwords, character select on/off, etc.)
+ Options can be changed on the fly
+ Text chat (partial credit due to pre-canned messages and having to hunt for actual useful messages)
+ Spectated matches stay in sync by fast-forwarding
- Joining from an invite is harder (can only be done from main menu)
- No geographic filters for lobbies (and flags are mostly broken)
- No PSN / Steam integration
- No voice chat

Both:
- No concurrent matches (only two people play)
- No way for spectators to chat during matches
- Ping indicators not reliable when browsing (at least not on PC)
- No way to set AFK / spectating only, you have to wait for people to time-out.

So as I see it, if V could improve on the areas where it falls behind IV, then it would be a pretty big step up from IV. And if we also could get simultaneous matches for 4+ person lobbies, then it would be a huge improvement over IV. One can dream.

myco666

No one willing to tell me everything I do wrong?

Haven't put that much time into S2 so can't be very specific but still.

- Lack of AA
- Missed CC punish opportunities and went for regular throw instead
- Bullhead is not safe on block so try to hitconfirm into it
- Raw V-Trigger. Better use would be to do unsafe move and cancel it to V-Trigger
- You burn lot of meter for random EX Bullheads

God dammit. My gaming time is so limited I finally break free of grown up responsibilities and can't even play. I am this close to just getting into Guilty Gear. It's like every other time I play I have issues.
I'd dedicate most of my SFV time to GG right now if Rev 2 were out. Too bad we gotta wait.
No one willing to tell me everything I do wrong?
Stop doing random EX Bull Heads. It is a terrible waste of potential damage and meter unless it is part of a combo. You should also be careful about trying to catch Akuma with command grabs on his wakeup when he has a fully stocked CA and metered reversals at his disposal. Oh, and please punish his whiffed or blocked dragon punches with crush counters. Normal grabs are a terribly weak punish for someone that hits as hard Birdie. It was hard to watch those throws as an Alex player because Birdie and Alex hit HARD when they get those crush counters.

Watch this if you can right now: https://www.twitch.tv/daigothebeastv
Crusher is on Daigo's stream.

Compare how many normals and which ones he does and how he is on his feet and moves around to you.

Thanks, I'm on my lunch break watching now.

Also I got a good read on the date for the anticipated Spring Update for CFN quality. June 20th - I mean it won't be early, will it.

Ok I've got the hate out... just zen now.

Oh, and please punish his whiffed or blocked dragon punches with crush counters. Normal grabs are a terribly weak punish for someone that hits as hard Birdie. It was hard to watch those throws as an Alex player because Birdie and Alex hit HARD when they get those crush counters.

I am working on that in the training room but I usually miss the opportunity in a match. I got it once in the last match, but yeah, not enough.

jett

D-Member
I don't understand why Capcom doesn't have enough pride in a product that is very good at its core to put in the resources necessary to make it a very good complete package.

Why waste resources on something that probably still won't sell. To turn SFV's image around and give it new life at retail it would need a complete relaunch.

I heard that another balance patch was coming a few days ago from 2 different people. Not sure if it'll be out before CPT. On one hand you don't want to have another huge patch a week or two before Final Round but you don't want to have one in the middle of the tour either.

Personally I think they should let this version cook for a bit before trying to adjust the balancing. I think that's what they're trying to do anyway, but I'd like to see at least one or two CPT events with a lot of internationals happen before they decide what to adjust instead of just basing it off of weeklies especially when some players were winning just as much in S1 with the same character. There's some characters that are really strong but aren't played as often who could potentially shoot up to the new S/A+ tier after the patch.

There's also some disparity between who Japan and NA believe are the best in the game.

Yukadon/Fuudo/Infil/Xian all picking up Ibuki rings some alarms while NA might still be sleep on her. Japan thinks Gief is top 5 while NA doesn't believe so and Snake Eyez might not even use him anymore. M Bison putting in work in Japan while Bison is doing okay in NA, Pnoy did get 2nd with him last weekend. Laura being a big issue in NA (well winning weeklies, okay well one weekly) and barely being on Japan's map.

For Akuma, I'm still not really sure if he's a good character or not. In general I hate the direction they took with a lot of buttons in this game and Akuma's cr.MK is the struggle personified. And he has 875 health which I don't think his strengths really add up for. But we'd have to wait longer than the first month to see how it plays out instead of forcing a balance patch without being sure.

So far for S1 vs S2. I think the highs/top tiers of S1 are better than S2 and the lows/low tier of S2 are worse than in S1. S1 Chun > Urien, S1 Mika > S2 Laura, S1 Necalli > S2 Balrog. While some low tier characters in S1 got potentially worse in S2.

Also, I don't like that Capcom still hasn't acknowledged the input lag.. I think that alone makes some characters stronger by having unreactable moves in neutral or side switches. They know the people don't like this and they still say nothing, they do nothing just accept it and move on type of thing lol.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Whatever they do in terms of balance is going to be tiny compared to the 92 page list we got. That stuf is a lot of work. I wouldn't expect anything outside of small touches on frame advantage and stuff like that.

I personally like the idea to do a small polish patch if we will play this version for a year, to be honest.

ElFly

Whatever they do in terms of balance is going to be tiny compared to the 92 page list we got. That stuf is a lot of work. I wouldn't expect anything outside of small touches on frame advantage and stuff like that.

I personally like the idea to do a small polish patch if we will play this version for a year, to be honest.

some of them may be rollbacks to S1 status

Alex/FANG strike me as people who could benefit from partial rollbacks, like Alex's elbows

mbpm1

They didn't include all the changes in that document in fact

Street Fighter V |OTVII| The Left Behind of fighting games

Also, I don't like that Capcom still hasn't acknowledged the input lag.. I think that alone makes some characters stronger by having unreactable moves in neutral or side switches. They know the people don't like this and they still say nothing, they do nothing just accept it and move on type of thing lol.
They have acknowledged it, but they've seemingly also decided not to do anything about it:
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016...further-reduce-street-fighter-5s-input-delay/

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Why waste resources on something that probably still won't sell. To turn SFV's image around and give it new life at retail it would need a complete relaunch.
Maybe, but we live in an age where if the game really got turned around (even gradually), people would say so, word would spread and people who were angry (but genuinely interested in SF) would get over it and buy it, especially since it's way cheaper to buy in now than at launch.

cackhyena

I just kinda feel like Akuma is a bruiser with a lot of options but low health. It's so weird seeing how slow his moves and movement, in general, are compared to past iterations.

ElFly

Maybe, but we live in an age where if the game really got turned around (even gradually), people would say so, word would spread and people who were angry (but genuinely interested in SF) would get over it and buy it, especially since it's way cheaper to buy in now than at launch.

the stupid part is that they haven't even answered the most simple of complaints: an arcade mode

I mean, they got that half coded in survival anyway

Pompadour

Ucchedavāda;229194470 said:
They have acknowledged it, but they've seemingly also decided not to do anything about it:
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016...further-reduce-street-fighter-5s-input-delay/

To be fair, it's now 6.5 frames of lag on PS4 and SF4's lag was 5.4 so the difference isn't massive. People mistakenly assume that a fighting game that was designed correctly would have no input lag when that isn't the case.

I imagine if Capcom patched the game and said they reduced SFV's input lag to SF4 levels but actually didn't do anything people would post about how much more responsive the game feels until someone officially tested it. Sure, I'd like it if another frame was removed but I doubt the impact it would have is all that important.

To be fair, it's now 6.5 frames of lag on PS4 and SF4's lag was 5.4 so the difference isn't massive. People mistakenly assume that a fighting game that was designed correctly would have no input lag when that isn't the case.

I imagine if Capcom patched the game and said they reduced SFV's input lag to SF4 levels but actually didn't do anything people would post about how much more responsive the game feels until someone officially tested it. Sure, I'd like it if another frame was removed but I doubt the impact it would have is all that important.

lmao

some of them may be rollbacks to S1 status

Alex/FANG strike me as people who could benefit from partial rollbacks, like Alex's elbows
If they're gonna revert anything it should be his medium attacks. They got slaughtered in comparison to his elbows. If worse comes to worse you can always EX slash elbow to make up for the weaknesses of normal elbows, but nothing can replace his season one medium attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom