• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
So I feel like messing around with a new character... wondering how casual matchmaking works? Will it match me with someone based on my ranked points?
Yep. One league below and above your rank. Except for when you reach Platinum, then it's open end, I think.

jett

D-Member
Welp I make due with the DS3, although lately since I haven't been playing as regularly by thumb has started to hurt.

I think Kashiwaba is talking about the previous model (which I have and like a lot). The latest model without the adjustable dpad should not have that particular problem.

Either model is great if you want to use the right side shoulder buttons because you can set those to be L1 and L2 instead of duplicating the R1 and R2 that are already on the face of the controller. I also think the dpad is way better than dualshock for SF-style command inputs.

Oh that angle disc thing. I was asking cause the old FC4 was on sale around here. I'd rather not mess with issues of that sort, though. Maybe I'll find the new FC one day.

Roxkis_ii

Yep. One league below and above your rank. Except for when you reach Platinum, then it's open end, I think.

I never realized this. Maybe this is why it seems like such a gap in skill between me and others in my rank.

I'll be playing a lot more casual before attempting to rank up again

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Welp I make due with the DS3, although lately since I haven't been playing as regularly by thumb has started to hurt.

Oh that angle disc thing. I was asking cause the old FC4 was on sale around here. I'd rather not mess with issues of that sort, though. Maybe I'll find the new FC one day.
Depending on the price I might buy one even if I expected to have issues down the road. For what it's worth, mine is showing no signs of trouble after 170 hours of use. I know that's not necessarily a huge amount of time for a fighting game, but that's my anecdote.

LakeEarth

Yeah I can confirm. When I was in ultra-gold, the highest rank I ever saw was platinum. Now that I'm in platinum, I've been matched up with super-diamonds. Even someone in the top 100.

Skilletor

Probably you. Faced a 3 Bar Bison from Canada on that stage and the connection was shockingly better than the past two Laura who don't even try to hide their lag in the Brazil stage.

I think my favorite thing about your posts is how you constantly think lag on the other end is malicious. lol

Onemic

Conceptually whos playstyle has been closer to Akuma, Ryu or Ken? Thinking I might as well warm up with one of these guys before Akuma comes out.

Shadoken

Conceptually whos playstyle has been closer to Akuma, Ryu or Ken? Thinking I might as well warm up with one of these guys before Akuma comes out.

Usually he gives up health in order to maintain Ryu level zoning and Ken level offense. But Tokido is sticking with Ryu so i guess go for Ryu?

Akuma is most likely going to have a strong fireball game ( Unless they completely revamp him ) So get your fireball game up with some Ryu practice.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Tokido said he would go to Akuma and atleast play him for a while to see if he's eligible.
Akuma is different to Ryu and Ken because of his air fireball and demon flip. But SFV has changed old character designs a lot, so we'll have to see.

Onemic

He's usually like a mix of both but for how Ken's tatsu's work in this game, I'd say Ken lol

Usually he gives up health in order to maintain Ryu level zoning and Ken level offense. But Tokido is sticking with Ryu so i guess go for Ryu?

Akuma is most likely going to have a strong fireball game ( Unless they completely revamp him ) So get your fireball game up with some Ryu practice.

Decisions, decisions.

I typically dont play fireball characters though, so I might as well brush up on that with Ryu.

Onemic

We have no idea how they're going to change akuma and it's exciting.

I'm probably not going to like it.

Watch them make him not a shoto altogether and remove his ability to throw fireballs.

Havent you switched up mains every week lol. Play Karin for them footsies and rekkas.

It's not a main switch just wanna get used to some of Akumas fundamentals. And if you know me from SF4, I have a character crisis every week before I finally settle down months later lmao.

When Akuma comes out tho....

Picked this game up in the November PS Store sale and played through the story mode. Absolutely loved it. Now thinking of which character to start investing some training time in. Juri's attacks look amazing, but googling a tier list puts her somewhere down at the bottom. Would that be noticable for me as a starting player in this game, trying my hand at casual online matches?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Her Rekka is really bad but the majority of players still haven't figured that out. Just mash jab or V-Reversal it. The only way Karin can beat a mashed jab is to do the very unsafe (-11 on block I think) Rekka version.

edit: It's -9, the cross-up one is -11.

Picked this game up in the November PS Store sale and played through the story mode. Absolutely loved it. Now thinking of which character to start investing some training time in. Juri's attacks look amazing, but googling a tier list puts her somewhere down at the bottom. Would that be noticable for me as a starting player in this game, trying my hand at casual online matches?

Welcome, Juri is great, but not as easy as someone like necalli or well rounded like ryu

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

There's no harm in giving her a shot. Just don't get so discouraged that you give up on the game entirely if it doesn't go well.

Kashiwaba

Just play with whatever clicks with you and you enjoy don't worry about tier list unless you're aiming for Capcom cup 🤗

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
That would actually be a good idea. Would be able to generate v-trigger gauge rather easy and it wouldn't be an almost useless v-skill.

Doubt they'd actually do that though.
If it works like Chun's, you would actually have to hit with it to get V-meter.

Watch them make him not a shoto altogether and remove his ability to throw fireballs.

It's not a main switch just wanna get used to some of Akumas fundamentals. And if you know me from SF4, I have a character crisis every week before I finally settle down months later lmao.

When Akuma comes out tho....

man you know you're not gonna use Akuma if he's trash or mid tier lol

Ah, damn, I was hoping it would depend on my character rank.

Like if I play a character I have no experience with in casuals I would hope it would match me with other low-experience people.

Don't worry about it.

Tiers don't really mean anything unless your a tourney pro.

Other than that, they're just excuses people make for when they lose.

Onemic

Don't worry about it.

Juri is also a pretty underutilized recent DLC character, so I wouldnt trust any tier list on her.

Guile was considered shit until Du started winning with him.

Ryce

The director is Tweeting some V-Skill concepts that were cut.

Birdie: Eat British Potato!
Grab the opponent and force them to eat a potato. There is a chance that this will cause the opponent to fart, embarrassing them and briefly rendering them vulnerable. Reason cut: Just think about it for a moment.

F.A.N.G: 22 Killing
A chop that increases power each time you use it. The attack strength is doubled each time. The 22nd strike will kill the opponent no matter what. Reason cut: The opponent usually dies after 22 regular attacks anyway.

Karin: Money Handout
Drop money on the ground, giving you a chance to attack if the opponent picks it up. It works well against Dan. Reason cut: Dan is not playable.

Guile: Handcuff
Handcuff your opponent’s arms together, briefly disabling the opponent. Reason cut: It’s a buggy move.

God damn I just fought a dude who just jhk'd me all day and almost took a round off me. I really need to aa better with Urien. I was lucky my knee drop timing keep catching him.

Producer

The director is Tweeting some V-Skill concepts that were cut.

Birdie: Eat British Potato!
Grab the opponent and force them to eat a potato. There is a chance that this will cause the opponent to fart, embarrassing them and briefly rendering them vulnerable. Reason cut: Just think about it for a moment.

A chop that increases power each time you use it. The attack strength is doubled each time. The 22nd strike will kill the opponent no matter what. Reason cut: The opponent usually dies after 22 regular attacks anyway.

Karin: Money Handout
Drop money on the ground, giving you a chance to attack if the opponent picks it up. It works well against Dan. Reason cut: Dan is not playable.

Guile: Handcuff
Handcuff your opponent’s arms together, briefly disabling the opponent. Reason cut: It’s a buggy move.

Hes gotta be trolling with these lol.

mbpm1

22 jab spams PogChamp

Don't worry about it.

Another thing to consider is that the tier list for this game is crazy close. There are a lot of matchups that are so close to even that a tier list is only for the minute details of pro level.

Heck, I think the only real 7:3 matchup in the game is sim vs gief.

mbpm1

Another thing to consider is that the tier list for this game is crazy close. There are a lot of matchups that are so close to even that a tier list is only for the minute details of pro level.

Heck, I think the only real 7:3 matchup in the game is sim vs gief.

No I think that is reserved for Nash vs Gief

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom