• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

stn

I do think Guile is worse for Zangief than Nash is. Nash can turtle but he's better as a hit-and-run character, while Guile can throw booms and mix up v-skill all day.

Speaking of which, I think I might be hopping on the Juri train as well.

She's just so cool.

Will probably change my mind after a few matches though, as I always do.

FluxWaveZ

I don't think Balrog has any MUs in his favor at all except for maybe against Dhalsim.

In fact, he's usually at a disadvantage against most of the cast. And it's not like in a Mika way where her strengths can overcome any of those theoretical disadvantaged MUs. I still love playing him, but it is hard on me to already lose some spirit on the VS screen.

Welcome, Juri is great, but not as easy as someone like necalli or well rounded like ryu

There's no harm in giving her a shot. Just don't get so discouraged that you give up on the game entirely if it doesn't go well.

Just play with whatever clicks with you and you enjoy don't worry about tier list unless you're aiming for Capcom cup 🤗

Don't worry about it.

Tiers don't really mean anything unless your a tourney pro.

Other than that, they're just excuses people make for when they lose.

Heh, glad to hear it. Alright, Juri it is for now! Though Cammy looks super fun to play as well. Any chance she'd be easier to pick up or does it not differ much?

FluxWaveZ

Nah he does well against the shotos, Urien, Alex, Necalli, and sim I feel. Maybe a couple more.

If I was as good with Balrog as I am with Mika, I would likely take him 90% of the time instead of Mika against the fireball characters. I very much disagree that Urien and Alex don't have the distinct advantage in that MU, however. Any character with long-reaching limbs will be a real struggle for Balrog and, in Alex's case, he's a grappler which is a widely accepted death knell for Balrog.

I'd say Necalli is at least 5:5. What makes you believe he would have the advantage in that MU?

All the top Ryu players believe he's a good counter-pick against them.

I would agree with this. Balrog's V-Skill is fantastic, and dash punches are a naturally good way to get in. I absolutely wouldn't say Balrog has the advantage in that MU, though.

Producer

So basically I heed to lv up, gotcha.

I need to divekick more I know that much.

I dont think Rog can really do much against ex divekick, and hes free on wakeup and cammy has great wakeup pressure. So pretty much just brute force your way in and rtsd

Heh, glad to hear it. Alright, Juri it is for now! Though Cammy looks super fun to play as well. Any chance she'd be easier to pick up or does it not differ much?

Cammy is easier to pick up, but harder to really get good at imo, Juri has "easier" ways of opening up people, Cammy's ways are more "calculated, if you will.

Exr

I mained Balrog in SF 2 and 4 and he feels super dull to me in 5. Granted im pretty casual and dont know my framedata but his V Skill doesnt seem good outside of canceling out of an ex rush...he needs his v reversal a ton in some matchups too. Do any prominent Balrogs exist outside of Smug?

Alex blows up Rog if he can get in, but the issue is that 90% of the match is spent trying to overcome dash punches. Alex's stubby limbs prevent him from punishing even poorly-spaced dash straights, and his grabs have such short range that it's super easy for Rog to just 3f LK into target combo in response to his pressure.

I'd say it's very even overall, with Rog having the clear advantage in the neutral and being able to pressure Alex for free but Alex snowballing hard if he manages to get a knockdown and a few good guesses.

Balrog's arguably strong against Guile as well (I suppose it depends on the Guile-user's playstyle) since he can really capitalize off of stupid mistakes and overcome Guile's projectile spam really easily.

JayEH

Get a counter hit, start doing combo...I get crush countered? Next game, oh cool one hit to stun, get it, hear the noise...but they're not stunned. Gotta love rollback.

If I was as good with Balrog as I am with Mika, I would likely take him 90% of the time instead of Mika against the fireball characters. I very much disagree that Urien and Alex don't have the distinct advantage in that MU, however. Any character with long-reaching limbs will be a real struggle for Balrog and, in Alex's case, he's a grappler which is a widely accepted death knell for Balrog.

I'd say Necalli is at least 5:5. What makes you believe he would have the advantage in that MU?

On second thought I agree Urien can be bad actually since I didn't consider his long normals before. Alex though isn't a rushdown grappler like Laura or Mika though so I feel rog can keep up with that. Necalli 5:5 seems about right.

I mained Balrog in SF 2 and 4 and he feels super dull to me in 5. Granted im pretty casual and dont know my framedata but his V Skill doesnt seem good outside of canceling out of an ex rush...he needs his v reversal a ton in some matchups too. Do any prominent Balrogs exist outside of Smug?

Look up Alucard. He's been doing pretty decent in NA tournaments and he's beat some players like Xian before with Rog. He isn't one of the best but he's been having better tournament results over all since Smug doesn't seem to travel as much. PR Rog of course plays him but I don't think he's that comfortable with the character yet.

As far as V skill, it's one of the best. You can cancel any dash punch or low into v skill which lets you glide across the screen quickly. V skill punch is used to punish fireballs and reset for grounded v trigger mix ups but you can also use it as a way to get in. It's -4 on block. The overhead is -8 on block but you can combo after hit with St. MP or cr. LP depending on range. Also useful during grounded v trigger mix ups.

FluxWaveZ

PR Balrog

And I'd say Balrog's V-Skill is one of the best in the game. But yes, he does need his V-Reversal in a ton of MUs and not only is it garbage, but he kind of needs the V-Trigger to win a lot of the time.

Alex blows up Rog if he can get in, but the issue is that 90% of the match is spent trying to overcome dash punches. Alex's stubby limbs prevent him from punishing even poorly-spaced dash straights, and his grabs have such short range that it's super easy for Rog to just 3f LK into target combo in response to his pressure.

If you spam Alex's cr.MP, he shouldn't be able to get uninterrupted dash punshes at all unless they're whiff punishes.

On second thought I agree Urien can be bad actually since I didn't consider his long normals before. Alex though isn't a rushdown grappler like Laura or Mika though so I feel rog can keep up with that. Necalli 5:5 seems about right.

Even for the non-rushdown variety, we have Zangief who is undeniably one of the worst MUs for Balrog (long limbs, grappling when Rog needs to get close, V-Skill armor into big punishes, etc.), and Birdie who is also pretty bad for Rog (zoning tools, grappler when Rog needs to get in, armor, etc.). Alex is probably the easiest of those three, but I've spoken to Alex mains who do agree it's a bad MU for Balrog because of Alex's footsie tools to just zone him out, and how crappy Balrog's defensive options are.

Edzi

PR Balrog

And I'd say Balrog's V-Skill is one of the best in the game. But yes, he does need his V-Reversal in a ton of MUs and not only is it garbage, but he kind of needs the V-Trigger to win a lot of the time.

If you spam Alex's cr.MP, he shouldn't be able to get uninterrupted dash punshes at all unless they're whiff punishes.

Spamming Alex's cr. MP is an easy way to get a free jump in combo though.

FluxWaveZ

Spamming Alex's cr. MP is an easy way to get a free jump in combo though.

Of course, that goes for any move. But I'm saying that it's a really simple way to shut down Balrog's dash punches, and it's the hell I have to deal with in that MU. Same with Mika and Alex's cr.MP or Zangief's cr.LP. Shuts down all of their approach options, and they both recover fast enough to use their effective AAs. It means the Balrog/Mika can't be braindead with their approaches and they need to be tricky about it.

Edzi

Of course, that goes for any move. But I'm saying that it's a really simple way to shut down Balrog's dash punches, and it's the hell I have to deal with in that MU. Same with Mika and Alex's cr.MP or Zangief's cr.LP. Shuts down all of their approach options, and they both recover fast enough to use their effective AAs. It means the Balrog/Mika can't be braindead with their approaches and they need to be tricky about it.

I dunno, not many other people seem to have a problem fighting Alex. Are you sure it's not just an issue with how you're trying to approach?

JayEH

Gief yeah shut downs rog completely on v skill alone. As long as they aren't sleeping they can stop all dash punches with it and then you're SPD'd.

One change I'd like to see with rog actually is that EX Dash punch is two hits on block. I'd also like it so EX dash punches can't be beat out by normals.

FluxWaveZ

I dunno, not many other people seem to have a problem fighting Alex. Are you sure it's not just an issue with how you're trying to approach?

You mean other Mikas and Balrogs? I don't necessarily have a problem fighting Alex, but I would really like to see anyone play those two characters who claim that his cr.MP doesn't shut down their standard approach options.

Sorry pal, but I've literally never heard of anyone complain about Alex's crMP before. It's like his only good button, and even then its 15f of recovery and 7f of starup make it incredibly simple to bait in neutral and very difficult to use on reaction to a dash punch, especially online. If Alex whiffs crMP, it means Balrog gets a Dash Straight for free even if he didn't read the whiff.

FluxWaveZ

Sorry pal, but I've literally never heard of anyone complain about Alex's crMP before. It's like his only good button, and even then its 15f of recovery and 7f of starup make it incredibly simple to bait in neutral and very difficult to use on reaction to a dash punch, especially online. If Alex whiffs crMP, it means Balrog gets a Dash Straight for free even if he didn't read the whiff.

I'm thinking more about Mika, but really? We have a local Alex army, and it's something we had acknowledged for a while now. I actually don't have enough Balrog vs. Alex experience to punish/approach it appropriately, but it's certainly recognized as a great button vs. Mika where I play.

Maybe it's because with Balrog, I was approaching his dash punches like Mika's dive kicks, and that I need to do it differently versus Alex. In general, though, I will treat them like a dangerous fireball because neutral jumps utterly destroy them.

I'm thinking more about Mika, but really? We have a local Alex army, and it's something we had acknowledged for a while now. I actually don't have enough Balrog vs. Alex experience to punish/approach it appropriately, but it's certainly recognized as a great button vs. Mika where I play.

At my local scene playing Alex is considered intentionally handicapping yourself, haha. The only Rog player I've fought round here seemed to consider it a fairly easy matchup as well, but he's just crazy good in general so that's not really solid proof.

FluxWaveZ

At my local scene playing Alex is considered intentionally handicapping yourself, haha. The only Rog player I've fought round here seemed to consider it a fairly easy matchup as well, but he's just crazy good in general so that's not really solid proof.

I think Alex might be the most played character in our scene, and a lot of players are pretty good with him.

Massive ups and downs tonight.

Was playing someone two ranks below me and my MK button stopped working... I play Chun so I was fucked without it.
Lost 128 points :(

Then won twice against a Super Gold Ryu. First time I'd even seen someone Super Gold. Seeing way more high level players now I'm around 3700.
Seem to be doing OK, I think because I don't play Chun like most high level Chuns haha.

Second time one of my buttons has dropped out, don't know how I can make them more secure? I probably hit my buttons too hard sometimes which is jiggling the wires out.

I think Alex might be the most played character in our scene, and a lot of players are pretty good with him.

I've mostly seen Karin, Necalli and Ken around here.

Fun fact: some players from rival scenes call Toronto "Ojouronto" cuz a disproportionate amount of players main Karin, Tekken's Lili and Skullgirls' Parasoul.

Marvel

could never
It feels really good opening up people or getting that sweet hitconfirm with Cammy. Kinda glad I stuck with her.

She's nowhere near where I need to be atm, but I'm having fun. My Dictator frustrates me, I can be so hit or miss with him.

Skab

Cammy felt so off to me in this game.

I mained her in 4 up until early Ultra (switched to Makoto) and she the first character I went to in this game and man she just didnt click for some reason.

Marvel

could never
Cammy felt so off to me in this game.

I mained her in 4 up until early Ultra (switched to Makoto) and she the first character I went to in this game and man she just didnt click for some reason.
One of my close friends feels the exact same way to you almost. He mained Cammy in 4 (Juri also) doesn't click with her in V too.

Got the Platinum trophy earlier today thanks to the 1 million Fight Money trophy finally happening. It's a much easier Platinum than USFIV thanks to the combo trials being far easier and there being no requirement to beat Arcade Mode with everyone on Hardest (because there isn't an Arcade Mode but still) but that 1 million Fight Money trophy was quite a grind. The gap between the last trophy I earned (300 online wins) and the Platinum was seven months. And I play the game pretty often.

I'm pretty excited to see what they announce at Capcom Cup, not to mention the tournament itself.

Pompadour

Got the Platinum trophy earlier today thanks to the 1 million Fight Money trophy finally happening. It's a much easier Platinum than USFIV thanks to the combo trials being far easier and there being no requirement to beat Arcade Mode with everyone on Hardest (because there isn't an Arcade Mode but still) but that 1 million Fight Money trophy was quite a grind. The gap between the last trophy I earned (300 online wins) and the Platinum was seven months. And I play the game pretty often.

I'm pretty excited to see what they announce at Capcom Cup, not to mention the tournament itself.

If they announce an easier Survival Mode then that Platinum trophy will be mine.

Yeah same. I even started the mash DP method, but I just can't do it for 100 rounds. It's just too stupid.

That's what I did. Ken's mp.srk forever. Exhausting but I got lucky first time trying (with a half-dozen fight requests accepted near the end).

Pompadour

Yeah same. I even started the mash DP method, but I just can't do it for 100 rounds. It's just too stupid.

I've tried 5 different times with Ryu, Ken, and Rashid and I got to 96 on my last and final time. I can't make myself do it again unless the mode undergoes some drastic changes.

JayEH

I made it to 87 survival with Rashid eagle spike spam but lost to gief :( I can't bring myself to try again.

Still no date for US, but they are available in Japan.

Hmm, they haven't even talked about it here. making this regionally exclusive would be weird but EX1 colors still haven't left Japan either.

I wonder if any artbooks have come out since the release of SFV with more plot information. Would really love to see those plot guides updated.

JayEH

I wonder if any artbooks have come out since the release of SFV with more plot information. Would really love to see those plot guides updated.

I'd love another street fighter artbook but i'm afraid it would be filled with that trash art from the CFN site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom