• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pompadour

Hmm, they haven't even talked about it here. making this regionally exclusive would be weird but EX1 colors still haven't left Japan either.

They were designed to promote some Japanese break dancing competition so it's not out of the realm of possibility that they're Japan only.

JambiBum

I figured I would ask this here instead of the buy sell thread since there would probably be more interest, but does anyone WTB my Red Qanba Q4? I bought it a while ago for sf5 but hardly used it since I prefer to use a pad. It's just sitting in my house in the box right now. Asking for 150. Will provide pictures if requested.

I'd love another street fighter artbook but i'm afraid it would be filled with that trash art from the CFN site.

I think, given more detail and time, the CFN stuff wouldn't be too bad.

Does only a single person do the art for the artbooks? I seem to recall various people submitting work but I could be wrong.

They were designed to promote some Japanese break dancing competition so it's not out of the realm of possibility that they're Japan only.

Japan continuing the age old tradition of fucking regional DLC.

Mr. X

I have a nice collection of ragequits as Urien lol

Capcom/Haunts, please make Urien's bHK fHK at the very least. It was fMK in 3s, it's not special cancelable so I'm not using back charge, if I convert I'm using far Aegis. It's a pain using sHK to AA and getting bHK instead.

lupinko

That's true but Red Bull is in collaboration with the CPT, not just in Japan. Don't forget the recent Red Bull Battlegrounds in Seattle.

Ryce

That's true but Red Bull is in collaboration with the CPT, not just in Japan. Don't forget the recent Red Bull Battlegrounds in Seattle.
They're specifically Red Bull BC One costumes (the Japanese breakdancing competition), not Red Bull in general.

Skab

What if Sagats v trigger is him taking off his eye patch

turns out he has both eyes, just handicaps himself kenpachi style

lupinko

They're specifically Red Bull BC One costumes (the Japanese breakdancing competition), not Red Bull in general.

It could possibly extend to it, and never say never look how Bamco brought over potentially Japan exclusive content over for some of their localized games, like anime licenses costumes for some of the Tales games iirc.

Skab

His v trigger will let him throw 2 fireballs at once like Chun used to in the first playable build way back.

Dan's dad did so sagat killed him and that's why Dan hates Sagat.

oh right

fine then he takes it off just to gross the opponent out

Gren

Not the same thing, but Ryu's cr.hp has variable dmg like that. Only 1-hit, but does more if you hit "deep" with it. Maybe just their way of trying to micro-balance things.

FluxWaveZ

My matches against Snafoo at this week's local, for anyone who cares to watch:

Winners Finals
Grand Finals

Some casuals at the end.

I learned something fundamental that I'll be able to apply to truly level up my game with some training mode moving forward, and that's the proper response to a negative move and how that informs an opponent's options based on the startup of their next likely choice.

vulva

ggs! I started feeling a bit lost against Alex since I fight him so rarely. That said, I noticed you really like pushing buttons. Be careful of constantly doing that sort of pressure on wake up or after an air reset since players much better than me will challenge those a lot more often.

Good stuff though

Edzi

ggs! I started feeling a bit lost against Alex since I fight him so rarely. That said, I noticed you really like pushing buttons. Be careful of constantly doing that sort of pressure on wake up or after an air reset since players much better than me will challenge those a lot more often.

Good stuff though

Yeah, I was trying to mix it up a bit but I definitely got predictable with my aggression. Still, it's the IAL and V-Skill loops that gave me the most trouble and got me flustered. Once you got into range of IAL, I always panicked since I had to guess whether you'd go for the grab, attack, or another IAL. I would constantly try to interrupt, but the timing is really finicky and the payoff for getting the hit doesn't seem worth the potential damage of a full combo. Still pretty lost on the Chun matchup, but I think I've gotten a bit better through our matches.

Winners Finals
Grand Finals

Some casuals at the end.

I learned something fundamental that I'll be able to apply to truly level up my game with some training mode moving forward, and that's the proper response to a negative move and how that informs an opponent's options based on the startup of their next likely choice.

Weird that I've suddenly started to run into a lot of Dhalsim players recently. He was quite popular in the first couple months and then he disappeared. Now I'm fighting him a shitload, which I don't mind since he's one of my favorite matchups.

OrochiJR

Nooooooo! I was looking forward to those costumes. :/ I have bought all of the costumes (yes, ALL OF THEM!) up till now, I feel kinda screwed now.

Winners Finals
Grand Finals

Some casuals at the end.

Big improvement compared to the last time when you asked for advice on how to handle the match-up.

The one big takeaway from the grand finals set is that you gave up space too easily specifically in the matches where you convincingly lost. Not saying you should always go buck wild like you did in winners finals, where you got mileage out of it and weren't sufficiently deterred for choosing that approach for a while, but you need to strike a better balance like how you won some rounds in the GF set. To be more specific: backing off to create just enough space for whiff punishing Dhalsim's limbs with crouching MK (or whatever else comes to mind) and making a anticipation / offensive call afterwards through intuition or observations based on how your opponent responds is a good way to play the neutral game... but willingly (and quickly at that) putting yourself in the corner with little in the way of resistance is not. Dhalsim doesn't have that much in the way of pushback, so occasionally you played into his hands and gave yourself less options to work with when all he really did was standard poking while biding his time, in turn making possible outcomes more predictable. The one round where you lost with filled up V-Meter (plus a Critical Art locked and loaded) for example was largely your own doing; you sat in the corner preying for an ideal opportunity that never transpired, and it was a hard to read what your opponent could've been thinking (and subsequently react to his sudden aggression) when you hardly influence him, be it bait attempts or triggering any change in reaction.

To be more concrete: whenever you're retreating like that, reflect as to whether you're doing so for a planned (and actual legitimate) reason. Collecting your thoughts, deliberately killing time in a prolonged round, lowering stun, waiting for meter, avoiding mix-up shenanigans et cetera. Otherwise slowly push forward (making Dhalsim's limbs and drills increasingly less safe) or hold your ground the best you can if patience seems like a logical course of action. You evidently understood the general idea of how to make a Dhalsim second-guess and capitalize on openings, but from my perspective your in-game body language displayed less confidence during GF losses than in those from the WF set, which seasoned players such as Snafoo likely notice in seconds.

FluxWaveZ

To be more concrete: whenever you're retreating like that, reflect as to whether you're doing so for a planned (and actual legitimate) reason. Collecting your thoughts, deliberately killing time in a prolonged round, lowering stun, waiting for meter, avoiding mix-up shenanigans et cetera. Otherwise slowly push forward (making Dhalsim's limbs and drills increasingly less safe) or hold your ground the best you can if patience seems like a logical course of action. You evidently understood the general idea of how to make a Dhalsim second-guess and capitalize on openings, but from my perspective your in-game body language displayed less confidence during GF losses than in those from the WF set, which seasoned players such as Snafoo likely notice in seconds.

Yeah, thanks, it's what you're saying. Straight up, Dhalsim's limbs frightened me, and I talked to Snafoo a lot about it afterwards. Basically, I didn't have any big plan for backing away like I did and it just came down to me being scared, and getting myself cornered for no good reason.

Essentially, the main answer is for me to push forward. Naturally, this is what Mika seeks versus Dhalsim. I have to learn to fear his limbs less. I like backing away just out of range to whiff punish, but that's not good enough, especially when it means slowly putting myself in the corner once more.

Dhalsim's st.MK has a 10f startup and a -4 recovery on block, 0 on hit. This means that if he hits me clean with it, he's got another 10f to deliver another one if he's just mashing it out. 14f if I block it. It doesn't really get me anywhere to try to block the first one and walk a bit before the next one lands. However, within that time frame, there are multiple buttons I could push to counter poke his next st.MK; cr.MK is a good one, with a 7f startup.

This is just one example. Once I learn the proper means of dispelling my fear of the limbs by actually responding to them and punishing them as I advance, the Dhalsim won't just be able to control the space freely and they'll be forced to hold back. Which will give me the room to get closer.

Then there's the fireball... well, one thing at a time. I've got a clear idea of what I need to go into Training mode to refine now.

lupinko

The red bull Chun costume is free, you just need to follow Red bull Japan on line. I just got the code.

Edit: I tried the Chun costume on my JP account and it only has two colours? I primarily game on my CA account and as such all the dlc is tied to that.

If they do release it for outside Japan, Chun should be free as well.

Ryu is via a Red Bull purchase.

Really a shame about those EX1 colours though, Bison's is his classic costume and looks SO GOOD.

Also I know I shouldn't be comparing a competently run company to one that isn't, but GODDAMN Blizzard let me download the latest update to Overwatch on PC before it even went live. So by the time the update hit, a pretty large chunk of it was already downloaded. So darn convenient.

Pompadour

Really a shame about those EX1 colours though, Bison's is his classic costume and looks SO GOOD.

Also I know I shouldn't be comparing a competently run company to one that isn't, but GODDAMN Blizzard let me download the latest update to Overwatch on PC before it even went live. So by the time the update hit, a pretty large chunk of it was already downloaded. So darn convenient.

Honestly, 90% of my problems with SFV would be gone if it was published by Valve or Blizzard. I love the model they're using and wanted SF to take this approach before V was ever announced but the actual execution is abysmal.

Tizoc

What if Sagats v trigger is him taking off his eye patch

turns out he has both eyes, just handicaps himself kenpachi style

Sagat's V-Trigger will be his Scar shining then for a short amount of time his Uppercuts are empowered.

Sayad

I have a nice collection of ragequits as Urien lol

Capcom/Haunts, please make Urien's bHK fHK at the very least. It was fMK in 3s, it's not special cancelable so I'm not using back charge, if I convert I'm using far Aegis. It's a pain using sHK to AA and getting bHK instead.
Wonder if it was put on bHK because bHK CC used to cause crumble and maintaining the charge made it easier to combo after!

Sagat's V-Trigger will be his Scar shining then for a short amount of time his Uppercuts are empowered.
That will be even more underwhelming than SS in SFIV!

Please...no Sagat. You guys are killing me over here.

CPIjVEiUAAAPl-B.jpg

Big improvement compared to the last time when you asked for advice on how to handle the match-up.

The one big takeaway from the grand finals set is that you gave up space too easily specifically in the matches where you convincingly lost. Not saying you should always go buck wild like you did in winners finals, where you got mileage out of it and weren't sufficiently deterred for choosing that approach for a while, but you need to strike a better balance like how you won some rounds in the GF set. To be more specific: backing off to create just enough space for whiff punishing Dhalsim's limbs with crouching MK (or whatever else comes to mind) and making a anticipation / offensive call afterwards through intuition or observations based on how your opponent responds is a good way to play the neutral game... but willingly (and quickly at that) putting yourself in the corner with little in the way of resistance is not. Dhalsim doesn't have that much in the way of pushback, so occasionally you played into his hands and gave yourself less options to work with when all he really did was standard poking while biding his time, in turn making possible outcomes more predictable. The one round where you lost with filled up V-Meter (plus a Critical Art locked and loaded) for example was largely your own doing; you sat in the corner preying for an ideal opportunity that never transpired, and it was a hard to read what your opponent could've been thinking (and subsequently react to his sudden aggression) when you hardly influence him, be it bait attempts or triggering any change in reaction.

This is what I need to learn in the Sim matchup, I'm almost free to Sim at this point, it's much easier to game plan than to put it in practice, and then that damn teleport just messes everything up or him hovering above your head and you don't know whether to counter or wait to block and hit him on the way down. Grr...i hear this match is in Ken's favor because he can kill sim so quick, but Sim/Bison are still my worse matches, and it seems like there aren't that many really strong GAF members that use them to help me out '-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom