• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvel

could never
Damn the timing seems really tight to get EX kunai right after Kazekiri(EX DP) with Ibuki :S very rarely get it.

Edit: nvm was doing it way too early.

stumbled upon this r/streetfighter thread while searching for some SFV stuff:
https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFighter/comments/3xlecn/why_did_capcom_nerf_ken_to_oblivion/

And few gems from the comments:

It's amazing that the character people complained about the most in term of getting nerfed after the beta were Ryu and Ken.
The r/streetfighter subreddit is a surprisingly friendly and welcoming community.

But Goddamn, if a lot of them aren't total scrubs. (most, not all)

FluxWaveZ

I wish I could play this game at double speed. Training extensively in those conditions would be like a Hyperbolic Time Chamber where, when you come out, everything would feel like it's moving in slow motion. Wonder if that'd actually improve reactions.

I wish I could play this game at double speed. Training extensively in those conditions would be like a Hyperbolic Time Chamber where, when you come out, everything would feel like it's moving in slow motion. Wonder if that'd actually improve reactions.
If things like Turbo in Devil May Cry games are any indication, it just makes the regular mode seem slower and sluggish.Don't think it would necessarily make you better at the game in any way.

FluxWaveZ

If things like Turbo in Devil May Cry games are any indication, it just makes the regular mode seem slower and sluggish.Don't think it would necessarily make you better at the game in any way.

I dunno. I used to do that a lot in Smash 4 (mained Sonic), and I actually did think it helped. At least in this game, I feel like it'd make reacting to jumps a lot easier over time.

I don't think increasing the speed would make it easier to react to jumps in this game. Each character's jump arc is unique and a lot can change their jump trajectory to mess up AAs. If anything, like I said, you'd get so used to AAing in that high speed situation that the slow speeds would just throw off your timings and that's what AAs, combos and a lot of stuff in action games (which include fighting games) is all about. Timings.

Maybe it worked on Smash, I don't know never played it.

FluxWaveZ

I don't think increasing the speed would make it easier to react to jumps in this game. Each character's jump arc is unique and a lot can change their jump trajectory to mess up AAs. If anything, like I said, you'd get so used to AAing in that high speed situation that the slow speeds would just throw off your timings and that's what AAs, combos and a lot of stuff in action games (which include fighting games) is all about. Timings.

Maybe it worked on Smash, I don't know never played it.

At least for me, it's not so much the specific timing that throws me off and it's more the jumps themselves. (EX) Wingless Airplane is a great solution for pretty much any time they're in the air, but my problem is that I fumble for the motions so many times because I react too late. Same with Guile's somersault.

If I could get the jumps to actually feel sluggish and slow, that would inherently improve the amount of time I have to make an input. Of course, it's different when it comes to specific timing AAs like Nash's cr.MP or something, but when it comes to something like a Ryu medium DP, that's different.

Numb

full

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Is there any reason to choose one platform over the other? I kinda want this game but unsure of which platform to buy it on... I think I'd prefer PC but haven't seen any good sales for it yet on Steam.

I have a Hori Fighting Edge that I used to use on my PS3, I know it works on PC but I'm not sure if it works on PS4 (I don't have one to test as I'm waiting on the Pro).

If you plan to play much single player stuff, load times are a lot better on PC. Won't help in multiplayer unless you are matched with another PC player.

Skilletor

Is there any reason to choose one platform over the other? I kinda want this game but unsure of which platform to buy it on... I think I'd prefer PC but haven't seen any good sales for it yet on Steam.

I have a Hori Fighting Edge that I used to use on my PS3, I know it works on PC but I'm not sure if it works on PS4 (I don't have one to test as I'm waiting on the Pro).

1. FightingEdge is the best stick.
2. It'll work on PS3, but it has to be paired with PS4 controller.
3. It'll work on PC, but you'll have to use 3rd party software. Unless Steam's support for PS4 controllers has been updated to work w/ sticks. I haven't been keeping up.

Yudoken

I highly recommend plugging the stick in a pc/notebook and open ''Game controllers'' to check out if the pc can recognize the inputs.

If yes, you shouldn't have problems getting your stick work with pc.
You probably need to use SF5DInput which allow sticks without xinput to work with SF V.

If the stick does not show up input you would need to purchase a (cheap) pci card for your pc,
I know personally that the PS3 Madcatz TE1 only works on pc with a pci card on pc.

LakeEarth

stumbled upon this r/streetfighter thread while searching for some SFV stuff:
https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFighter/comments/3xlecn/why_did_capcom_nerf_ken_to_oblivion/

And few gems from the comments:

It's amazing that the character people complained about the most in term of getting nerfed after the beta were Ryu and Ken.
Yeah you never want to complain about tiers right out the gate. I learned that while complaining about Sentinel in Marvel vs Capcom 3. Or when Justin Wong said Adon was a terrible character a few months into Super SF4, and proceeded to get eliminated at that EVO by an Adon, played by a then unknown Gamerbee.

Once things settle, you'll always look like a jackass. Or a genius, depending on which character you hate.

Yeah you never want to complain about tiers right out the gate. I learned that while complaining about Sentinel in Marvel vs Capcom 3. Or when Justin Wong said Adon was a terrible character a few months into Super SF4, and proceeded to get eliminated at that EVO by an Adon, played by a then unknown Gamerbee.

Once things settle, you'll always look like a jackass. Or a genius, depending on which character you hate.

But FANG and Ibuki are gonna stay bottom tier until they get some buffs, that much I can guarantee you.

LakeEarth

But FANG and Ibuki are gonna stay bottom tier until they get some buffs, that much I can guarantee you.

While you are most likely right, there have been instances where a bottom tier character shoots up the tier list due to some tech or strategy that someone comes up with. T.Hawk is an example.

Onemic

1. FightingEdge is the best stick.
2. It'll work on PS3, but it has to be paired with PS4 controller.
3. It'll work on PC, but you'll have to use 3rd party software. Unless Steam's support for PS4 controllers has been updated to work w/ sticks. I haven't been keeping up.

The FE works out of the box on the PS3. Do you mean the PS4? And if so, share that info man!

mbpm1

While you are most likely right, there have been instances where a bottom tier character shoots up the tier list due to some tech or strategy that someone comes up with. T.Hawk is an example.

Fang's gonna discover he has a command throw

Peter saved Fang players

Skilletor

How do you pair it? And does it have any drawbacks?

It's in the options, something like authenticate legacy controller.

MKX and SF5 are two of the only big fighting games out that require you to do this (I think...maybe KoF, I guess). Skullgirls, ASW games are plug and play on ps3 sticks.

No drawbacks. Legacy sticks had LESS input lag than PS4 sticks before the last patch, hahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom