• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayEH

So that's two new stages that can't be used in competition. How does the biggest fighting game company that sponsors their own worldwide pro tour end up making new stages that players find unfit for use in those events? It's such a strange thing.

I like the banned stages. Not everything needs to be competitively viable imo.

You guys think the Famitsu article is thread-worthy?

Is there a full translation out yet?

Ryce

From that Famitsu interview...
Ono: Even without changing the 6 button layout, there were plans to include a character who uses only 4 buttons. As we add more characters in the future, we recognize that it is important to meet such demands.

I see… will such a character be added in the 2017 season?

Ono: (Laughs) I’m looking forward more and more to December 3. (Laughs)

Edzi

From that Famitsu interview...

Uhhh, I'm not sure who that would cater to tbh. More limitations doesn't sound like a good idea, but what do I know.

Actually, they could make a 4 button character pretty complicated with directional inputs. Hmm.

Very excited about the announcements and the Pro update since I bought one. I'll probably wait till it drops to start playing with game again though.

Last weekend was the first time I played a online match in 3 months I think. I won 2-0 but it was so stressful lol. So yeah I think I'll just sit out another month or two, or at least until the Pro update drops if it's coming soon.

Maybe they don't care if a couple stages get banned. They have enough others. I'd rather they keep being creative without being overly concerned about tournament logistics.

I like the banned stages. Not everything needs to be competitively viable imo.

I have to imagine they could create new stages that don't cover the characters feet or distract players and still make something cool that people want. Who is going to see a new stage and buy it? Stream viewers. They even made a stage for the CPT.

Consider the viewer numbers of pro SF players that are just streaming casual online matches on any given day hover around 100 viewers. On Twitch, that is a paltry number especially considering that these are the most well known SF players. Streamed tournaments bring in at least 10x that number, which is only natural but regardless still makes my point- streamed tournaments are where their game gets the highest visibility. These events are also where Ono makes announcements, so people who have SFV might watch just to catch that.

Their whole thing is to roll out new stuff that keeps SFV fresh and more appealing in order for it to grow and evolve. Making new stages is a really cool thing, but it's weird that they would limit who sees that it's available and then give it a negative stigma due to it being banned in tournaments.

Zackat

I didn't see mention of this Famitsu interview with Ono posted about 12 hours ago: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201611/22121269.html

Though I can't understand Japanese, I can certainly understand this:

One of the responses also seemingly states that they have their current SFV roadmap determined until around 2020. Talks about PS4 Pro support, too. Seems the answer is "no rush to implement support for it yet, but there are several elements running in the background that an update could be made to, with proper timing."

Nlcu2.gif

Skilletor

So that's two new stages that can't be used in competition. How does the biggest fighting game company that sponsors their own worldwide pro tour end up making new stages that players find unfit for use in those events? It's such a strange thing.

Because they're doing things for both sets of players the way everybody always says they should.

Ryce

I've been suspecting Heihachi for a while, but this "4 button character" news really solidifies my suspicions.

Guest characters do really well in fighting games, and Street Fighter V needs all the help it can get. Capcom knows this. Heihachi is probably the least offensive guest character I can think of -- he's already crossed over with the Street Fighter cast in SFxTK, and now Street Fighter and Tekken canonically share a universe with Akuma's appearance in Tekken 7.

Heihachi and Akuma are the main promotional characters of Tekken 7, and with Akuma already confirmed for SFV, it makes sense for Heihachi to show up next.

YkaNwmC.jpg

Edit: Nevermind I'm a dumb dumb.

What's with these bronze Karin players nailing all their combos.

Because they practice them and nothing else. So I'll empty jump all day and see if they either spend the meter AAing or try and save it for a super. They usually do the latter, so I just jump in all damn day with some knee presses.

2016 is the year we can say that Street Fighter exists in the same universe as Rival Schools, Final Fight, Saturday Night Slammasters, Bionic Commando, Street Fighter: the Movie, and now Tekken.

All of them have always been apart of the universe besides Tekken. And The Movie characters existed in the SF canon without the Movie, I believe (as in, once they made the movie, they made SF versions).

Pompadour

I've been suspecting Heihachi for a while, but this "4 button character" news really solidifies my suspicions.

Guest characters do really well in fighting games, and Street Fighter V needs all the help it can get. Capcom knows this. Heihachi is probably the least offensive guest character I can think of -- he's already crossed over with the Street Fighter cast in SFxTK, and now Street Fighter and Tekken canonically share a universe with Akuma's appearance in Tekken 7.

2016 is the year we can say that Street Fighter exists in the same universe as Rival Schools, Final Fight, Saturday Night Slammasters, Bionic Commando, Street Fighter: the Movie, and now Tekken.

Ryce

I don't know why we'd expect a Tekken character to have four buttons when they made a game full of Tekken characters using six.
Probably so he'd feel more like a Tekken character transplanted into Street Fighter, like how Akuma feels like a Street Fighter character transplanted into Tekken.

Skilletor

Probably so he'd feel more like a Tekken character transplanted into Street Fighter, like how Akuma feels like a Street Fighter character transplanted into Tekken.

If they didn't do that for a crossover game, I don't know why they would in an actual SF.

And it would be terrible anyway. I think Akuma looks stupid as hell in Tekken, and there's no way that they could do the same thing in SF and have it work.

Jin's moveset in SFxT would be awesome in SF5. Jin's Tekken moveset? Meh. Pass.

Village

If they didn't do that for a crossover game, I don't know why they would in an actual SF.

Because capcom likes doing their jobs and experimenting with fighting games.

And it would be terrible anyway. I think Akuma looks stupid as hell in Tekken, and there's no way that they could do the same thing in SF and have it work.

One Akuma looks great, you are crazy.
Two a game with variant control schemes, that has never happened in the history of street fighter

BlLrMbV.gif

No sir diffidently no precedent for a game featuring street fighter characters experimenting with different fighting game gameplay... nope not at all. #godrugalisalie

Skilletor

Because capcom likes doing their jobs and experimenting with fighting games.

One Akuma looks great, you are crazy.
Two a game with variant control schemes, that has never happened in the history of street fighter

BlLrMbV.gif

No sir diffidently no precedent for a game featuring street fighter characters experimenting with different fighting game gameplay... nope not at all. #godrugalisalie

You mean the game that gave all KoF characters six buttons after people complained about SF cast having only four in its predecessor?

And nah, I think akuma looks stupid. Opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom