• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the SF2 characters are generic as hell. Karate dude, kung fu girl who kicks, beast man, big wrestler guy, a boxer, a dude that can stretch his limbs, a sumo wrestler, and a masked ninja. None of these were original when SF2 came out.

Village

Most of the SF2 characters are generic as hell. Karate dude, kung fu girl who kicks, beast man, big wrestler guy, a boxer, a dude that can stretch his limbs, a sumo wrestler, and a masked ninja. None of these were original when SF2 came out.

Also the bonus of a lot of street fighter characters being based on other characters or just real people.

Akuma was only ever fun in Pocket Fighter IMO. Otherwise he's just the stereotypical scowling bad guy with no real point of interest beyond his pineapple hair.

Man does demon-ey stuff and glows red, dude is aesthetically interesting. On a character level, he's a bout as unique and interesting as most SF characters. He's very basic, a lot of sf characters are. Especially ryu who is kind of just fight man who occasionally throws a tantrum. They aren't vurtua fighter basic, god no, but pretty basic.

I mean, I'm pretty sure that was the design intention. So what's your point within that?
I guess i'm trying to figure out where you points of condensation seem to be coming from. Like their is some higher tier of street fighter design understanding unlocked by going to college. When it actuality most of the designs are designed for the teenage range of people , for better or for worse.

And your statements seem to being to the thing you are criticizing against.

Being edgy. And having the design logic of something a teenager would think is cool. Like when you are a teeneger or a child and you think when you become an adult you will magically become an adult and like adult things, but you don't and you still like rugrats and shit. That thing someone who has yet to become an adult thinks.

Ironic.

If Doctrine Dark ever makes it into SFV, it will be easily my favorite SF game ever, except possibly X-Men vs Street Fighter, but I'm not sure if that counts and it's largely for nostalgia reasons, anyway.

Skilletor mentioned the Saturn port a few pages back...so good. Still an impressive port, today.

Village

The only thing that needs to come back from the EX series is the music.
Best guile theme

『Inaba Resident』;225301551 said:
Nah, EX had some good character designs in there. Wouldn't mind if a few of them came back

....eh... there arren't a lot of winners.

I don't even really like skullomania that much to be real. I remember the one girl in the judo outfit or something, she was tight,

Man does demon-ey stuff and glows red, dude is aesthetically interesting. On a character level, he's a bout as unique and interesting as most SF characters. He's very basic, a lot of sf characters are. Especially ryu who is kind of just fight man who occasionally throws a tantrum. They aren't vurtua fighter basic, god no, but pretty basic.
I've only ever found him interesting when his paper thin personality is tempered with humor, ala Pocket Fighter. The SF cast in general is sorely lacking in character development, but I think Akuma is among the worst offenders, particularly for someone with as many appearances as he has. And I don't care for his design or fighting style, so that leaves a lot to be desired personally.

I don't have any qualms about his popularity though. As I've said before, people like who they like, and that's great.

I thought Akuma was pretty cool in SFA2. Cool character art, cool stage, cool theme music, and his interactions with Gen and Ryu were interesting at the time. Problem is, he hasn't really gone anywhere interesting since then.

Village

『Inaba Resident』;225301863 said:
Skullo, Pullum, Hokuto, Garuda, Nanase. Maybe Blair and D.Dark too.
I thought these were pretty good.
I felt like pullum belonged in another game series.
Hokuto is the girl i'm talking about she's tight
Garuda ( HEEE HAWW HEEE) its weird that let that darkstalkers characters brother in sf
Nanase is mostly good, I feel like the armor part of her design needs a little work
I like Blairs design from the head up
D.Dark is fine , I feel like he needs edits to his design to make him a bit more visually interesting though

I've only ever found him interesting when his paper thin personality is tempered with humor, ala Pocket Fighter. The SF cast in general is sorely lacking in character development, but I think Akuma is among the worst offenders, particularly for someone with as many appearances as he has. And I don't care for his design or fighting style, so that leaves a lot to be desired personally.

That's fair.

I thought Akuma was pretty cool in SFA2. Cool character art, cool stage, cool theme music, and his interactions with Gen and Ryu were interesting at the time. Problem is, he hasn't really gone anywhere interesting since then.
That's kind of my problem with SF characters in general? I would like to be more evolutionary. Its why I appreciate SNK's stuff and love tekken.

I would have loved in Ryu in sf5 was just alt , shirtless ryu. Or If Chun li had a new outfit like ken. They are certainly taking chances with some designs in this game, but there are still a lot of designs that are I feel too static.

Looking for a fighting game for my PS4. I have Mortal Kombat but it feels slooowwwww... is this worth it? Anything better (hidden gem of a few months out)?

Producer

Looking for a fighting game for my PS4. I have Mortal Kombat but it feels slooowwwww... is this worth it? Anything better (hidden gem of a few months out)?

both this game and GG Rev are on sale right now. Take a look at the OP to see what this game has, obviously everyone here will say its good lol

I want Hokuto.

That's a weird way to spell Area!

Also the bonus of a lot of street fighter characters being based on other characters or just real people.

Exactly.

The only thing that needs to come back from the EX series is the music.

Nah fam, the characters were great, and the story was way better than the original Alpha canon (dark without being overly edgy and still self aware). Gameplay is straight up broken, but it was still fun to mess around in.

I don't have any qualms about his popularity though. As I've said before, people like who they like, and that's great.

That's a big issue stemmed by Capcom thinking everyone was Japanese and would scour through artbooks and interviews for character building. I don't think most people know that Akuma just likes fighting but beyond that is actually not a mean dude.

Csr

Okay, who with a college education thinks either look cool?

It's ironic because insulting people who like a character is the opposite of what someone with a college education should do.

Yes a lot of other people like what you don't like.

That's a big issue stemmed by Capcom thinking everyone was Japanese and would scour through artbooks and interviews for character building. I don't think most people know that Akuma just likes fighting but beyond that is actually not a mean dude.
If we got to see more of this Akuma...

XujUDpt.jpg

He'd probably be more interesting to me. If he truly has life beyond fighting Ryu/Gen/Gouken, then let's see it.

Mizerman

Pretty much. SF has a decent lore, but a majority of the info comes from their books...that are in Japanese.

mbpm1

People think Akuma looks cool?

He needs a Reaper alt and Batman Arkham Knight armor for my edgy quota to be fulfilled

On an unrelated note, I think it's time to stop ranked/casual for a while. Need to Battle lounge to make some real progress

nded

The scale of this image is shocking.

Yeah, he's like SF Alpha movie size here. Akuma being the same size as Ryu in SFIV always bothered me because he's usually depicted as being larger in other media and Gouken's in the same game being more swole.

Shadoken

I don't really have a strong feeling about him really. I just think he screams of design to appeal to teenage boys or people with the mentality of a teenage boy. He doesn't visually offend me or anything, I just think it's a dumb/lazy design.

IKR... Its almost as if this game was T-rated and targeted towards ???

Lets be real most SF characters can just be called dumb/lazy by that logic. Most female characters are heavily sexualized with plenty of camera poses for showing tits and ass. And most male characters either have some exaggerated "flashy" or "badass" thing ( Ken Flame shoryuken ) or some kind of edginess ( Nash , Ryu Dark Hadou , Necalli Super Saiyan)
And then you have the Freaky characters. You arent going to see some super mature character here , because that would be completely out of place.

Everyone here is going to be like someone in a shonen anime , So I dont see any particular problem with Akuma's appeal as an edgelord.

Capcom at least put a decent amount of effort to make their "Stereotypical" characters have some unique aspects or quirks that make them very distinguishable.

Coda

I'd assume Akuma will look familiar yet also different with some new styling visually. I'm really interested to see him in motion.

There's a story about Akuma saving a kid from a blaze. Like, you'll never see that shit in the story lines in the game, but to be fair, SFV is the first time they gave a shit.

Durden77

Do you ever think that you truly think too much when you play this game? Yes I know the thread title and all that but I just came back after not playing for about 3 weeks and I feel like I'm playing better than ever. And the last time I played I was thinkin a lot about my gameplay.

TheOGB

Banned
Do you ever think that you truly think too much when you play this game? Yes I know the thread title and all that but I just came back after not playing for about 3 weeks and I feel like I'm playing better than ever. And the last time I played I was thinkin a lot about my gameplay.
The moment I recognize that I'm doing well is the exact moment I start playing like shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom