• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCarter

Holy crap though, I never bought the Christmas stage, but if I'd known this is what the music was I'd have snapped it up straight away..

Especially the Round 2 music (I can only assume)

This is amazing stuff. I would love more of this.

EDIT - Seriously, round two of that is the best track I've heard in this game. They're both insanely good. Even regardless of the game it stands on its own as an amazing couple of pieces of Jazz.

Yep. One of favourite themes in the SF series ever. If only thier servers and netcode is as high quality as thier music.

Sayad

So Kolin's story has one fight, and the story in general is pretty damn short. It's the first character to just get one fight in their story mode I think.
Best character story in the game. Short, so less boring fights against brain dead AI, outside guile, the art is nice and it actually does help build the character more so than any other prologue story.

1. Make normals great again
2. Manual command for CC the way Sabaki's work in VF or auto-guard attacks in SC
3. New ways to spend meter, maybe a crumple state move, or "even ex'ier" specials that have benefits for more combo opportunities and/or corner carries/hard knockdowns
4. Revamp the knockdown system to be more like 3s. Right now this game has too many situations that repeat themselves and it's all because of how knockdowns work and stubby normals. This one combined with number 1 would make the neutral a lot better.
5. Make everybody's vskill as good as Guile's for that character's game plan.
6. Multiple vtriggers.

All of these would be welcome and would fit very well into this game I think. None of these will happen until a revamp of the game unfortunately. I don't have much hopes for the new March balance patch addressing any of these points. Multiple V-triggers needs to be a top priority once all the DLC characters get released IMO.

Oh well at least Horizon came out yesterday and I have Zelda to play on Friday.

Skilletor

All of these would be welcome and would fit very well into this game I think. None of these will happen until a revamp of the game unfortunately. I don't have much hopes for the new March balance patch addressing any of these points. Multiple V-triggers needs to be a top priority once all the DLC characters get released IMO.

Oh well at least Horizon came out yesterday and I have Zelda to play on Friday.

For sure. This is what I would want for Super SF5. I don't expect anything like this to happen at all, honestly, but if any revamps happened, it would hopefully accompany a relaunch of the game after CPT this year.

1. Make normals great again

Not gonna happen with how the game is played. Defensive options need to get buffed to compensate stubby normals though.

2. Manual command for CC the way Sabaki's work in VF or auto-guard attacks in SC

How would that work? Would you have to input something for CCs?

3. New ways to spend meter, maybe a crumple state move, or "even ex'ier" specials that have benefits for more combo opportunities and/or corner carries/hard knockdowns

I like this so long as it doesn't go too far. That's getting a little outta bounds in terms of what SF is when you start adding like seven options for meter. Right now you gain meter so fast that having those extra opportunities would be way too fast. Extra combo opportunities would be nice, but nothing like FADC. I'm talking like one or two extra ones, but more options that help players approach things. This, I feel, can be done by making v-skills and v-triggers better.

4. Revamp the knockdown system to be more like 3s. Right now this game has too many situations that repeat themselves and it's all because of how knockdowns work and stubby normals. This one combined with number 1 would make the neutral a lot better.

This! Actually, someone said if they added another wakeup option it would help, and I totally agree. Extend a few stubby normals and do this, and already the game is for the better.

5. Make everybody's vskill as good as Guile's for that character's game plan.

Yeah. I like half or more of them do a decent job, but some could stand reworking.

6. Multiple vtriggers.

Eh, the problem with this is that it has the possibility to become like Ultra where people just select the better one and the other one doesn't get usage. If they do this, they need to make both of them viable.

For sure. This is what I would want for Super SF5. I don't expect anything like this to happen at all, honestly, but if any revamps happened, it would hopefully accompany a relaunch of the game after CPT this year.

More v-triggers, better v stuff, and better wakeup options have a big chance of being put in during S3. Extended normals probably won't happen for every move, but I can see some stubbier ones getting extended a bit in relation to their toolset (Ryu, for example, would need that as opposed to other characters).

mbpm1

Changes that would be cool

Add range and variation in normals. Different ranges. Different startups. Different recoveries/advantages on block.
Buff Anti-airs overall for those who aren't Akuma or necalli or someone
Add more defensive options, but let you get blown up for good reads. Should not supplant blocking, but bolster it

It's ironic seeing normal range extensions being brought up so much after Capcom basically amputed some characters for no good reason. It really is roller coaster balancing lol.
More v-triggers, better v stuff, and better wakeup options have a big chance of being put in during S3. Extended normals probably won't happen for every move, but I can see some stubbier ones getting extended a bit in relation to their toolset (Ryu, for example, would need that as opposed to other characters).
A new special for many characters would be welcome. Ibuki, Alex and Guile could also use some extra spice.

Haha I don't know if I would be gold if I used Birdie in ranked though lol. You put up a good fight and I think you have decent Birdie going on. Gonna steal some stuff you did.

Hit me up if you want to play again or want some tips.

Thanks, not sure what you can steal from me though. Was there anything I was doing that was a serious no no or wtf?

Skilletor

Not gonna happen with how the game is played. Defensive options need to get buffed to compensate stubby normals though.

Definitely agree, but I think that’s something that most competitive players would agree needs to happen.

How would that work? Would you have to input something for CCs?

I’m thinking something similar to a focus attack (to compare it to something in SF, though it's not really what I mean. There are tons of moves in SC, Tekken, VF that would be more indicative of what I see in my mind) that’s actually a special move, it could have one hit of armor on it or something. Like Ryu’s Mule kick. On CH it would give you CC state. It would be a move you have to commit to as a hard read that could also have utility outside of the CC purpose. You have to commit to the move to get the CC. You could bait the move with light attacks and punish. This would also add a defensive option. My problem with CC moves right now is that a lot of them are tied to amazing pokes. It’s not always satisfying when you land one. It doesn’t feel like smart play, it feels like luck.

I would keep the CC state on whiffed ex uppers for heavy attacks. I would remove CC state on regular uppers as they are right now.

like this so long as it doesn't go too far. That's getting a little outta bounds in terms of what SF is when you start adding like seven options for meter. Right now you gain meter so fast that having those extra opportunities would be way too fast. Extra combo opportunities would be nice, but nothing like FADC. I'm talking like one or two extra ones, but more options that help players approach things. This, I feel, can be done by making v-skills and v-triggers better.

Yeah, I wouldn’t want it to go too far. I’m just spitballing. :p

This! Actually, someone said if they added another wakeup option it would help, and I totally agree. Extend a few stubby normals and do this, and already the game is for the better.

If they made no other changes, I think the game would be a lot better just for this.

eh, the problem with this is that it has the possibility to become like Ultra where people just select the better one and the other one doesn't get usage. If they do this, they need to make both of them viable.

True. I think that’ll happen anyway no matter what, competively. The same way everybody uses pretty much the same assist in MvC2/3, but this is a change that would be good for the casual and less serious players.

I am hoping that it is or something equivalent to it is teased at CPT this year. As much as I enjoy the gameplay this game really needs an overhaul within the next year.

The two year mark is around the time that Super was released for SF4. I can see them following the same strategy.

Skilletor

I am hoping that it is or something equivalent to it is teased at CPT this year. As much as I enjoy the gameplay this game really needs an overhaul within the next year.

The two year mark is around the time that Super was released for SF4. I can see them following the same strategy.

S3, if they add 6 more characters, will have 34 characters. That is a great sized roster, and I'd prefer they focus more on mechanics and system overhauls at that point over adding more characters.

S3, if they add 6 more characters, will have 34 characters. That is a great sized roster, and I'd prefer they focus more on mechanics and system overhauls at that point over adding more characters.

I feel like capcom will cave into the pressure to add more classic characters and we will end up seeing Sagat/Sakura/etc. just to keep the fanbase happy. I wonder if they will bring more development in house after MvCI launches that would benefit the game the most IMO.

MCD250

I like having no proximity normals (love Alpha tbh) but more range on pokes is definitely something that needs to happen. Either make hitboxes or hurtboxes (preferably the latter) bigger.

Pompadour

They won't stop with new characters as that's the best way to generate hype and interest in the game. New mechanics and system overhauls are required to keep the game healthy, however. Hopefully they can juggle both.

Skilletor

I like having no proximity normals (love Alpha tbh) but more range on pokes is definitely something that needs to happen. Either make hitboxes or hurtboxes (preferably the latter) bigger.

Proximity normals are garbage.

Command normals are omfg amazing. The ONLY good thing about vism in A3 was total control over every attack you had.

Blueblur1

The two year mark might be the right time to revamp the game.

I like to compare launch SFV to the arcade version of SFIV. (Arcade SFIV had a smaller roster of 17 playable characters, no bonus stages, smaller amount of stages, no animated intros or endings for arcade mode, and had no trials.) It came out in July 2008 with SSFIV following almost two years later in April 2010.

So its not crazy to think that they may be prepared to make significant changes or additions to the game for Season 3. Of course, we have no idea. And seeing that it takes so long to get anything added (and that Capcom has been a tougher financial situation in recent years) we may have to wait for Season 4 for a revamp.

I fear that that would definitely be too late; casuals will be long gone by then. And the hardcore player base may shrink with folks possibly moving onto newer, more robust fighting games.

I like Skill's CC idea on reflection, I just don't know how they'd keep that balance.

Didn't one of the versions of SF4 get a new wakeup option in their update?

The two year mark might be the right time to revamp the game.

I like to compare launch SFV to the arcade version of SFIV. (Arcade SFIV had a smaller roster of 17 playable characters, no bonus stages, smaller amount of stages, no animated intros or endings for arcade mode, and had no trials.) It came out in July 2008 with SSFIV following almost two years later in April 2010.

So its not crazy to think that they may be prepared to make significant changes or additions to the game for Season 3. Of course, we have no idea. And seeing that it takes so long to get anything added (and that Capcom has been a tougher financial situation in recent years) we may have to wait for Season 4 for a revamp.

I fear that that would definitely be too late; casuals will be long gone by then. And the hardcore player base may shrink with folks possibly moving onto newer, more robust fighting games.

Well, people talk of their financial situation but Kolin came out great, their CPT prize pool got bigger, and MVC is still being made. So I'm betting Capcom still has some money, and I don't think much of it would need fat stacks. SFV is part of their ecosystem forever, and they will probably dump in whatever they can to help it.

They just need to speed up the damn fixes is all.

cackhyena

If they aren't hurting for cash, put more than one person on fixing the goddamn online okay?!? That's the only excuse at this point...that it's one person.

17EFymq.jpg

Blueblur1

Well, people talk of their financial situation but Kolin came out great, their CPT prize pool got bigger, and MVC is still being made. So I'm betting Capcom still has some money, and I don't think much of it would need fat stacks. SFV is part of their ecosystem forever, and they will probably dump in whatever they can to help it.

They just need to speed up the damn fixes is all.

Super valid points. But we're still missing promised stuff like Extra Battle mode which concerns me.

Edzi

Kolin's st.lk has got to the worse move next to Sean's. At least she can use her counter OB.

Yeah, no. She can use it to combo from farther ranges than her other buttons, and it's cancelable.

Unless you consider a move bad just because it can't be spammed.

myco666

Thanks, not sure what you can steal from me though. Was there anything I was doing that was a serious no no or wtf?

Only thing that is a serious nono was the raw vtriggers. I don't think those are good and you should save them to make unsafe move safe or use as a combo extender.

Yeah I'm starting to like everything about kolin, cept her walkspeed, still not use to that.
Catching wakeup srks with counter is one of the best feelings.

Well, people talk of their financial situation but Kolin came out great, their CPT prize pool got bigger, and MVC is still being made. So I'm betting Capcom still has some money, and I don't think much of it would need fat stacks.

They literally have around the same of money in the bank for the past 10 years. Their funds dropped a bit in 2013/2014 because they released nothing of note and that's also around the time people starting thinking capcom was broke because someone said so on gamespot/ign/whatever.

Akuma's fireballs are fine. Massive stun the closer people get. Maybe rework the concept of his airfireball? But not too fussed. Ryu definitely needs help though. His zoning should be a lot better.

Ehh, why limit the air fireball? Just because in the current balance it seems fine, doesn't mean it wouldn't make Akuma more fun with it. People want to play Akuma with different styles. That's part of the reason why Infil no longer uses Akuma even though he was very excited about the character before release.

vixlar

Is Kolin available in Steam too?

I can't see her on the store, I have Season pass 2. I have the 2.000 version, and I don't know how to force to 2.010.

I am connected to server, but I don't want to risk to play online because it can fail.

Thanks.

Is Kolin available in Steam too?

I can't see her on the store, I have Season pass 2. I have the 2.000 version, and I don't know how to force to 2.010.

I am connected to server, but I don't want to risk to play online because it can fail.

Thanks.

no, it downloads through the game itself. It's not a steam download.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom