• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching Max's stream right now and he explained that the reason why SFV doesn't allow for character select outside of battle lounges was to save loading time. looooool

Apparently he had talked to someone who has worked on the game's online infrastructure.

Edit:

I really want to know how the development went down internally.

That doesn't make sense. Max is full of shit.

remz

Well they don't have to load the character select screen they're saving some small amount of time right? although I guess the VS screen is part of the select screen isn't it?

Femto.

Since the loading times are artificial why impose that limit?

You know, I'd like to know the answer to that too. Not trying to be sarcastic, but it all comes down to be frustrated with a game I like from a gameplay perspective and being punished for playing it by backward development decisions.

Ucchedavāda;231315588 said:
It sounds perfectly in line with the kind of choices that Capcom have been making with SFV.
For all we know, somebody could have mandated for how long the VS screens have to be shown.

But, at that point, since the loading doesn't take place until the white wipescreen, what would be the point in shaving off seconds that don't actually happen? And why would battle lounge make it different? It's pretty much the same amount of time barring selecting your characters.

You know, I'd like to know the answer to that too. Not trying to be sarcastic, but it all comes down to be frustrated with a game I like from a gameplay perspective and being punished for playing it by backward development decisions.

No, I feel you. In fact, I'd be more inclined to believe it was the original silly decision they stated, which was that they didn't want people to dick around the select screen or whatever.

Its makes sense. You skip a step. You save time on whatever that step was. It's just that sfv's steps take forever. I think virtua fighter makes you choose your character before hand as well.

myco666

So Ibuki is one of those matchups that you just need to grind to know what to do? Was very confused just now that I played against one in very long time.

Hyun Sai

Its makes sense. You skip a step. You save time on whatever that step was. It's just that sfv's steps take forever. I think virtua fighter makes you choose your character before hand as well.

Yeah, it surprises me we're talking about this now, from the launch of the game the common notion was it was just to gain some time skipping select screen.

Devid905

Speaking of newcomers, does anyone have any inside info on who/what the heck is the next DLC character supposed to be? We talked so much how #3 looks very much like Abigail, but we barely talked about #2.......

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of newcomers, does anyone have any inside info on who/what the heck is the next DLC character supposed to be? We talked so much how #3 looks very much like Abigail, but we barely talked about #2.......
That one is so vague, could be anyone. I wouldn't even know where to start.

Ryce

I'm almost certain the next character is a brand new fighter that hasn't been seen before, so it's pointless speculating on who it might be.

Blueblur1

Yeah, that missing was so weird. But we did get the other content bits, so it's not so bad.

I can only imagine that they're retooling and/or waiting to release Extra Battle mode alongside other stuff. The cinematic story mode wasn't enough to get people excited or satisfy them; neither was the Player vs CPU option. That's left me thinking that modes' reception has scared Capcom away from pushing out slim content releases (or half-baked stuff like "Demonstrations").

They've basically promised non-character content releases for this year with the news hitting in between character releases so maybe Extra Battle resurfaces this year? I hope that there's definitely more coming than that though. Arcade mode, Extra Battle and a retooled Survival mode with more missions/targets would help keep more people engaged.

To go even further: Imagine if Extra Battle mode will ended up being their MKX challenge tower with timely challenges and weird, unique mechanics. And if it did stuff like allow you to play as DLC characters and on DLC stages. I think that kind of thing would be a step in the right direction for keeping casuals and lower level players engaged.

So this happened just when I about to see my opponent in the versus screen after a disconnect.

FB09323C5AC7A9C44BF9F79E8BBB942C6F91E0C7

Every time you say to yourself that things are going to get better but they end up worse than before.

LakeEarth

As I learned from the launch of the game and every day where a DLC character was added, any week where there's a big SF5 update is "avoid the game like the plague" week.

Has anyone experienced slowdown on PS4 when Mika lands a flying peach? I was trying her out in training last night, and for the first 5 minutes or so I'd swear when it hit the dummy character there was a moment of slowdown. I had a search going for casual matches at the time with can occasionally cause a bit of lag, but it was too precise. It was odd.

I made a really bad guess that it might be Shin from Street Fighter Online: Mouse Generation because the silhouette kinda matches his stance, but some other stuff on the silhouette kinda doesn't so it's probably not.

2 frame parry is exactly what this game is missing. I said this a while ago with Ryu's needed to be 2 frames. I'm able to read and punish people for pressing the same button too many damn times.

So how many more nerfs for Alex, hidden and deliberate, shall we be seeing in the future?

I am having fun with Kolin though so that's a plus.

Ferrio

Banned
So did the patch do anything negative to online? Heard some people saying that matches have been funky since the patch, but I haven't played in awhile so I don't know whether that's true or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom