• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
"can't seem," right? Yeah, it messes me up when Kolin is just out of range after hands, but I think I can do the standard cr.LP/st.LP > hands punish but it doesn't actually work and now I'm -4 in their face. Watching ChrisG's stream right now, he actually uses it a LOT when he's just out of range. I think it's actually a thing we need to do more. Technically -4, but still safe. It's why we can do stuff, like, a just out of range hands and then medium/low counter when they think they can punish.

I need to be using her st.LP > st.MP > st.HP TC more than I am. It's fairly easy to confirm it from cr.LP and it's significantly damaging, but I think Mika habits make me always just press another cr.LP or special cancel after the st.LP.

st.LK is like a measuring stick for a max range LP Parabellum which is safe. I'm starting to use it quite a bit, especially because of how it apparently shifts her hurtbox.

I feel like I should be using her medium Vanity Step more, but you always interrupt it when I try it out, so I then just do LK Vanity Step fake-outs. It's quick, but it's easy to stuff out because of how she advances. Maybe it's more effective as a cancel, rather than just throwing it out at neutral.

Screw it, next time I play, I'm going on Ranked. I'll lose a bunch of my points and whatever, but it's good to get that experience against people playing seriously with their mains.
Several Kolins have done this to me. I think that won't work for long.

The problem is that people can get blown up even at higher levels by Uriens who play like crazy.

Bated breath over here, waiting to see what they do. If Urien and Laura don't get notably nerfed in an upcoming patch, I want the vast majority of the roster who aren't the current kings to get buffed significantly.

It actually is pretty much the S1 Mika problem: characters who can get success by turning off their thinking, just doing stuff, and getting rewarded for it. With Mika getting pretty messed up because of this very issue and losing most of her "brainless" tools, it's made me more invested in seeing how they handle it moving forward.

I feel like Mika going ham and Urien going ham are different but similar enough to cause headaches. You can blow up a Urien or bully him but as soon as he gets AR, that's his clap. And that has a huge possibility to resort to big damage for him or sway the whole battle in his favor from any part of the screen.

Another big difference is that if they buff v-reversals and possibly add better wakeup options, he's not so much of a threat anymore when played stupid. Already we've seen people v-reversal his shit and cause them to lose matches straight up, but again, because they are booty, they are less reliable than they should be.

The only thing I'd change is the scaling on his AR stuff and maybe the ex tackle. Cr mk doesn't need to be that good either. That's really about it. Let him keep the cool AR stuff but make him work harder to get that damage off. Same with Rog - he can keep the outright damage, just work on the scaling so it isn't a blowup any time he hits v-trigger.

A stupid Urien is kind of like a stupid Mika still. Annoying to fight, but in all honestly, if you know what to look out for, it's not the worst thing in the world. People need to stop respecting wakeup ex headbutts when you can CC those for free, stop respecting knee dives, and don't be afraid to bully him. For some characters, easier said than done of course, but that's why Bison and Rog players work better on Urien because it's all about who can get started and keep that constant momentum. Cammy players can make him eat his own shit all day too.

Edit: Topanga League is on. I'll just have to catch this later, but man the best S2 SFV matches by far have happened on here barring some ESL stuff, Smug stuff, and Punk stuff recently.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
GDC puts those videos up on youtube later. Sometimes much later. Not sure what the their rules are for this stuff.

Presentation at GDC on the artstyle of SFV. Check out the guy's twitter feed for many more slides and statements.

https://twitter.com/pattheflip/status/837453936885846016

"Critical arts: can you explain them in one phrase? Rashid evokes Aladdin's genie, Laura evokes sonic the hedgehog."

Why are SF characters so muscular? Because the first impression should be "I'm gonna die if I get hit by this guy"

Weird since Laura is about getting hit once and dying.

GDC puts those videos up on youtube later. Sometimes much later. Not sure what the their rules are for this stuff.

There is also a subscription option IIRC, but yeah there's usually a year+ lead time if you want to watch them free on youtube.

cackhyena

I was watching Smug's stream last night. He's on like a 30 game win streak and Chris G comes in with his (pretty impressive) Kolin. He narrowly loses and backs out like a punk after one round. I don't think I really like Chris G.

cackhyena

Could be. But I've seen him get popped by Smug plenty before where they went both rounds. Then again, the servers are ass again so...

MCD250

I was watching Smug's stream last night. He's on like a 30 game win streak and Chris G comes in with his (pretty impressive) Kolin. He narrowly loses and backs out like a punk after one round. I don't think I really like Chris G.
Well, he did get perfected in the last round, heh.

ChrisG for sure ought to watch his sodium intake levels every now and then. His Kolin is pretty solid though.

cackhyena

Well, he did get perfected in the last round, heh.

ChrisG for sure ought to watch his sodium intake levels every now and then. His Kolin is pretty solid though.
Did he? I must be mixing him up with another player I thought he perfected. I'm sure Smug routinely gets them Ps.

MCD250

Yeah, Smug dabbed after he got the P, then dabbed again when he saw Chris quit the set, heh.

I saw ChrisG struggling with Kolin's jumping normals a lot last night. He even talked about it himself. It seems they either have very few active frames or their hitboxes are very limited.

cackhyena

She is fun as hell to watch, though. Hope she gets tourney play. That pick up off a knockdown with V Trigger is some Marvel shit.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
During my last play session I finally ran into another PC player with the fast loading mod. Based on my very small sample of PC to PC matches since the mod's release, it seems like not a lot of people are using it. Anyone having more luck than me?

MCD250

That GDC presentation is super interesting. That bit about how in fighting games you have to animate the characters so that their bodies are partially facing the camera at all times is something I'd never thought about before.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
That GDC presentation is super interesting. That bit about how in fighting games you have to animate the characters so that their bodies are partially facing the camera at all times is something I'd never thought about before.
There are a few subtle things in fighting games. Like how the last character who hit anyone is in the forground, because you want to see where the feet and fists end. This switches constantly.
That's also something people criticized the game for, because it can look a bit weird.

Mr. X

Majorboy got the nicest Kolin imo

https://youtu.be/N8L1QnS2aKo

Ucchedavāda;231417996 said:
https://twitter.com/TOOLASSlSTED/status/833300043142676480

Note that if you use the mod manager tool, then you need to rename it to 'ULOADFAST.pak' instead of 'ULOADFAST.PAK'. That is to say that the extension must be lowercase.

https://toolassisted.github.io/SFV/ULOADFAST.PAK

Put it here:

STEAMAPPSCOMMONSTREETFIGHTERVSTREETFIGHTERVCONTENTPAKS~MODSULOADFAST.PAK
<3

cackhyena

During my last play session I finally ran into another PC player with the fast loading mod. Based on my very small sample of PC to PC matches since the mod's release, it seems like not a lot of people are using it. Anyone having more luck than me?
I can never tell who has it. I swear some fights load quicker than others, but most times, I stare at a white screen instead of seeing the characters at the select screen. But even that seems faster than what it used to be. Training is real nice now, tho.

Probably old but I saw it mentioned that you take grey damage when you're frozen/stunned by Kolin. So it'd probably be best to delay your stun combo by a bit to maximize on that extra damage that's being taken off. Kinda like Fang

FluxWaveZ

Probably old but I saw it mentioned that you take grey damage when you're frozen/stunned by Kolin. So it'd probably be best to delay your stun combo by a bit to maximize on that extra damage that's being taken off. Kinda like Fang

Not grey damage, real damage.

That's why I've just been staring at people for a while when I get them frozen. Seems disrespectful, though.

HardRojo

Trying to download the new patch on PS4.
Keeps disconnecting, can't download, takes a lot of time, stuck at 30%. Great to see some improvementes!

Trying to download the new patch on PS4.
Keeps disconnecting, can't download, takes a lot of time, stuck at 30%. Great to see some improvementes!

SFV, and a few other games, don't play nice with certain routers. Plug your modem directly into your PS4. I THINK you can tinker with something on your router settings so that you don't have to do this, but I'm not sure. I know my D-Link router has always had issues with SFV's downloading system. And a few other games that use in-game downloading for whatever reason just don't seem to take to it unless I have a constant connection flowing in.

Don't yell at me about using wifi I used it most of the time and I'm on the highest internet you can get with RCN!

HardRojo

SFV, and a few other games, don't play nice with certain routers. Plug your modem directly into your PS4. I THINK you can tinker with something on your router settings so that you don't have to do this, but I'm not sure. I know my D-Link router has always had issues with SFV's downloading system. And a few other games that use in-game downloading for whatever reason just don't seem to take to it unless I have a constant connection flowing in.

Don't yell at me about using wifi I used it most of the time and I'm on the highest internet you can get with RCN!

I'm always wired on my consoles. SFV is the only title giving me such trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom