• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueblur1

Eh, pretty sure all of his "grimy" comments on twitter are responses to people who are already trolling. I get that it's not technically appropriate, but I don't think it's something to get up and arms over.

Nah, he called one of the WNF commentators austistic for disagreeing on X-Men. Logan's a fucking asshole. The sooner he's gone the better.

Logan a liability? WTF?

Dude is an asset to the UK scene. This is a guy that has a successful pro DJ career, and spends his spare time running events in London for the FGC here.

In my opinion, Iantothemax should stop getting salty at someone using strong words on Twitter.

Good news, having hung out with Tyrant a bit over the last year or so, I can indeed confirm that he isn't an asshole. But neither is Logan.
An asset? If I lived in the UK I'd probably never bother with the scene with the way Logan treats people. Logan has and continues to threaten people with violence over tweets and subtweets. The guy is the embodiment of internet garbage.

Good news, having hung out with Tyrant a bit over the last year or so, I can indeed confirm that he isn't an asshole. But neither is Logan.

If you want to condone/defend his inappropriate comments just because you like his commentary or because you personally benefit from him in some way then be my guest. Clearly there is a majority here who do.

MrCarter

He can be both. Telling somebody, anybody, to go kill themselves, is an ass hole move. Especially when you're just talking about games.

True, he can be both and I think he does that the majority of the time. I've seen an interview with on Gootecks channel a few weeks ago and he seemed very humble and down to earth. Of course I don't agree with his nasty comments but I feel like he thinks it's "banter innit" when it's clearly something serious.

Let's hope he learns from this as it would be a shame to lose someone who has such a sense of history and involvement within the U.K. SF community. He needs to realise trolls on Twitter will always be trolls and retaliating with them, with worse comments, will not get him anywhere.

Skilletor

True, he can be both and I think he does that the majority of the time. I've seen an interview with on Gootecks channel a few weeks ago and he seemed very humble and down to earth. Of course I don't agree with his nasty comments but I feel like he thinks it's "banter innit" when it's clearly something serious.

Let's hope he learns from this as it would be a shame to lose someone who has such a sense of history and involvement within the U.K. SF community. He needs to realise trolls on Twitter will always be trolls and retaliating with them, with worse comments, will not get him anywhere.

/shrug

He's a relic of those people I grew up with that didn't bother to grow up themselves, that think it's okay to say offensive and terrible things just because he doesn't mean it literally. You see them on SRK all the time.

Personally couldn't care less about what he contributes since people like him can push people away just as easily.

Dahbomb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";232289190]If every commentator that said something that annoyed someone got fired we'd be left with a bunch of shills with no game knowledge like Sajam.[/QUOTE]
God damn savage man, why you gotta single him out man??!

Sajam and David probably know the most. Steve is reactionary which is fine but has less knowledge. Chen is hit or miss sometimes.

All commentators don't have the insight that the Japanese ones have, however. I forgot who they were, but calling out things like wakeup jab being a better character dependent option instead of just saying wakeup jab brings a lot more technicalities into the game and insight as to why people are doing what they do. I realize that can be stupidly dry, but some more of that in-depth stuff would really help people understand the game better.

Also, speaking of Rog's v-trigger OH:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILoRo2PH-Q4

Basically, if you have a 3f jab and they are mindlessly pounding out that rekka, you can interrupt it and not eat damage all day, among other ways to deal with Rog's v -trigger.

HlxZXsG.jpg

Village

/shrug

He's a relic of those people I grew up with that didn't bother to grow up themselves, that think it's okay to say offensive and terrible things just because he doesn't mean it literally. You see them on SRK all the time.

Personally couldn't care less about what he contributes since people like him can push people away just as easily.

This

Ya'll talking about " he said things that upset some people" calling folk autistic and telling people to kill themslves. This is far beyond the realm of being upset at strong words, that's being an asshole. And further more, that's not being an asset.

And your knowledge of SF for me, doesn't outweigh that.

Contributions to a community does not obligate you to a job. That's the type of mentality that gets someone " left behind" real quick when the younger more charming more professional version of you shows up that gets the company less flack for having you around.

lol, did your router just explode?

I kicked it cause i got salty at all these ex-headbutts and cr.MK i keep getting hit with

jk im not really sure whats up

Edit: GG dudes. I kept trying to see how i can get a good punish on that cr.MK. Probably can only get lights out.

Edzi

I kicked it cause i got salty at all these ex-headbutts and cr.MK i keep getting hit with

jk im not really sure whats up

GGs. Your Alex started off kind of wild, but you got pretty patient near the end. That FANG though... I'm not really sure what was going on with FANG lol. I've never seen so many sweeps/unsafe specials thrown out before in my life.

mbpm1

Kolin pulled me back into the game :|

Since this is basically my day 1 bc I've been away, she feels weird lol.

Like, I feel like she needs to go ham more than most characters I've played before.

She has decent buttons but it feels like an illusion to make the opponent block while you do something easily stopped otherwise. the dashes and counters can make things very silly

fun though, but maybe too silly for me

Rage quitting to keep your win streak is still a thing?
I got ragequit on by a super silver Bison on a 26 win streak yesterday. He took the first match convincingly. Immediately I was sure it had to be the alt account of some monster, but I accepted the rematch anyways. Just as I was going to win the rematch with a CA he ragequit on me and ran with the points. I was furious because this guy clearly played like a super/ultra platinum and he really pushed me hard only to run away when things got tough.

I may whine all day, but at least I hold those Ls.

Femto.

I made a Ryu player rage quit earlier.

I took the first match, he wins the second. The dude was playing gimmicky/yolo as hell, but I got him to stun, taunted, hit him with fierce to take the round, and he RQed.

Which is funny because the points he just gained are now lost and I was back where I started before that match. It's as if nothing happened.

I only taunt gimmicky/yolo players when the W is assured.

ibrahima

Banned
/shrug

Gonna put it out there and say that unless a commentator / personality / player straight up harrasses someone on camera then they're not going away any time soon regardless of what people think of them.

In comparison to Logan; Zhi tends to get a bit of attention for some of the hairier things he says on camera but manages to remain involved. Likewise Aris (who I've been subscribed to on twitch for a little over a year and am pretty fond of) rightfully had a lot of negative attention for the SuperYan Cross Assault thing, I'd like to think that stuff is way back in the past now.

One of the things that strikes me about the London and wider UK scene is there really aren't as many personalities or streamed events as there used to be (by that I mean people who are specifically known for streaming or commentating rather than paying).

Going back a few years ago during SF4 I feel that there were more of them, both in the number of regular events across the country and the number of streamers / commentators but since around the time CPT became a bigger thing I have a feeling that may have become a bit of a cap on growth in other regional areas.

Going back to Logan, I can make a bit of a comparison (not to say they're similar people) by saying that people weren't mad on skisonic for years, like for years you would see stream chat filling up with people saying "skisonic sucks" and "what the fuck is with your stupid hat, skisonic" or "skisonic you are tiresome and cringey" whenever he appeared on camera. Did capcom or other event organisers do anything about it? Not really, you've only see him fall away from the camera when there's been more people to pick up in his absence. If you want to see less of logan you would probably be better off by saying who you would like to see more of.

If you want to condone/defend his inappropriate comments just because you like his commentary or because you personally benefit from him in some way then be my guest. Clearly there is a majority here who do.

Hey, I am defending Logan the actual person - what you are doing is building a Twitter-based straw man to burn down.

My personal perspective is that he engages in strong-worded responses on Twitter occasionally (and it is occasionally - he has many thousands of Tweets) and that makes him look bad, clearly, but to blow that up into calling him some cancer to be operated out of the FGC ecosystem is:

1. Unfair on a hard-working and approachable TO and community member
2. Out of proportion - saying 'he should dial this back, because it makes him look bad' would be more proportionate
3. Is hypocritical and indicative of an insular and inward-looking attitude. Nobody has the right to throw someone out of the FGC. And nobody should pretend to be able to leverage that right, or claim that to use that right is just because the person said something in a strongly-worded way on Twitter.

Village

Hey, I am defending Logan the actual person - what you are doing is building a Twitter-based straw man to burn down.

" I'm defending the logan the actual person" the person who calls people autistic and told a person to kill himself on twitter. Twitter doesn't magically make you a worse person.

There isn't a twitter based strawman.

My personal perspective is that he engages in strong-worded responses on Twitter occasionally (and it is occasionally - he has many thousands of Tweets) and that makes him look bad, clearly, but to blow that up into calling him some cancer to be operated out of the FGC ecosystem is:
I don't think anyone is calling him a cancer, there are legit stalkers in the fgc. However, they are calling him out for what he's done.

You can be as hard working or as approachable as you want, but if you do something that calls into quest your place in the ecosystem where you work. You've done something that calls into question your place in the ecosystem where you work. Nothing really more to it.

2. Out of proportion - saying 'he should dial this back, because it makes him look bad' would be more proportionate
Eh, depends on who you talk to as its apparent in this thread. I personally don't have enough info to make a judgement call on that point

3. Is hypocritical and indicative of an insular and inward-looking attitude. Nobody has the right to throw someone out of the FGC. And nobody should pretend to be able to leverage that right, or claim that to use that right is just because the person said something in a strongly-worded way on Twitter.
No one is throwing anyone out of the FGC calm down. Hell its impossible, by participating in fighting game on any meaningful level you have in varying degree's become apart of the fgc. As long as one likes fighting games, that's impossible. However, you aren't obligated to a job, and you aren't obligated to annouce events, and you aren't obligated to work for in any capacity for capcom, namco, team ninja, arcsys, snk or anyone else making a fighting game. While no one can " kick him out" what they can do is, not let him work for capcom or do commentary. He's not obligated to those things, if he wants to be a dick on his own time, that's ok. But when you work for a company you are whether you want it or not representative of those interests, and if those interests lead him to not work.. well eh.

He's not obligated to work there, no much how FGC work he's done, maybe he can start a stream. But he's not obligated to work at capcom, or to do commentary or any of those things.

It's kinda silly to complain about straw-manning, and then doing the exact same thing yourself. Nobody here has called Logan "some cancer to be operated out of the FGC ecosystem", nor did the article that spawned this discussion do so.

Moreover, how is it unfair to judge a person for their repeated, public behavior? How is it out of proportion to bring attention it, when they have already been called out for this behavior multiple times, including apparently by Capcom themselves? And how is it hypocritical? I don't follow that logic in the slightest. Besides, nobody is asking for Logan to be thrown out of the FGC, as if such a thing was possible, but rather that Capcom should think twice about having somebody who behaves like that as their representative. Describing Logan's behavior as "[saying] something in a strongly-worded way" is sugarcoating it to the extreme.

Ucchedavāda;232299960 said:
Describing Logan's behavior as "[saying] something in a strongly-worded way" is sugarcoating it to the extreme.

Not really - he said some strongly-worded things to other people in responses on Twitter. This is all he has done - and you are blowing it out of proportion and making a straw man. The actual person is irrelevant, all context is irrelevant. There is only the all-encompassing individual Twitter posts that can truly weigh the worth of a person.

"Nobody has called him some cancer[...]" is a good example of how you are oversimplifying things. Iantothemax in that post said he should be left behind (ha!) and that he doesn't belong in the new world the SF FGC is entering. I add a bit of poetic metaphor to that but the actual meaning is the same.

We are likely going to go in circles, as forum threads usually go, but I wanted to say my piece.

Mr. X

Not really - he said some strongly-worded things to other people in responses on Twitter. This is all he has done - and you are blowing it out of proportion and making a straw man. The actual person is irrelevant, all context is irrelevant. There is only the all-encompassing individual Twitter posts that can truly weigh the worth of a person.

"Nobody has called him some cancer[...]" is a good example of how you are oversimplifying things. Iantothemax in that post said he should be left behind (ha!) and that he doesn't belong in the new world the SF FGC is entering. I add a bit of poetic metaphor to that but the actual meaning is the same.

We are likely going to go in circles, as forum threads usually go, but I wanted to say my piece.
"He's a good dude once you get to know him" means he's an asshole. It's really not hard to not be an asshole on twitter AND in person AND to strangers who don't know you.

"He's a good dude once you get to know him" means he's an asshole. It's really not hard to not be an asshole on twitter AND in person AND to strangers who don't know you.

I will ask you what I asked Iantothemax on Twitter.

Have you actually ever met or (I will be generous and add) talked to Logan Sama?

Mr. X

I will ask you what I asked Iantothemax on Twitter.

Have you actually ever met or (I will be generous and add) talked to Logan Sama?
He can volunteer at an orphanage and rescue puppies idgaf he doesn't get a pass. He's an asshole on Twitter dropping homophobic remarks, telling people to kill themselves, autistic and threatened another TO.

If he's your boy tell him to knock his shit off.

Nobody here is trying to "truly weigh the worth" of Logan and nor do we need to. People are just pointing out that he is acting deplorable on Twitter, that he has done so for a long time despite being called out on this behavior before, and that this is unbecoming for somebody who acts as a face of the FGC and as a representative of Capcom.

You are adding a bit adding poetic metaphor? No, you are just being disingenuous. You are misrepresenting Ian and you are misrepresenting the people here. You couldn't even bother to accurately reproduce my words when quoting me just now. So why should we trust your word on Logan?

Ucchedavāda;232301630 said:
You are a bit adding poetic metaphor? No, you are just being disingenuous. You are misrepresenting Ian and you are misrepresenting the people here. You couldn't even bother to accurately reproduce my words when quoting me just now. So why should we trust your word on Logan?

Alright, so let's add context to this - I am currently on my phone, chatting about this whilst I prep for WSO today. So I can't easily copy-paste your exact words when I want to raise a counterpoint.

What you did was latch on to my words alone, blow them up and make them part of your angry argument that I should not be trusted on talking about Logan.

I am going to prejudge your response - you're going to be tempted to reply on this point but then change the topic back to Logan's tweets, because you prefer arguing in a contextless vacuum rather than looking at something - in this case, a person and their worth - from an educated set of angles.

This is exactly my point.

Quite a few people have latched on to this topic, inflated it by quite a bit and used it to make a moral judgement. I think this is wrong.

Bear in mind that I at no point have ever said I condone or agree with making strongly-worded responses to people on Twitter.

(Also, sidebar: if memory serves Logan said that he'd make a TO uncomfortable the next time they met - is this the TO threaten thing? Because I read that as the great British threat of making someone socially uncomfortable by the whole I-know-that-you-know-that-I-know-that-you-said-I-am-an-asshole-but-I-am-being-courteous-to-you-anyway thing)

He can volunteer at an orphanage and rescue puppies idgaf he doesn't get a pass. He's an asshole on Twitter dropping homophobic remarks, telling people to kill themselves, autistic and threatened another TO.

If he's your boy tell him to knock his shit off.

So you've never met Logan, or talked to him... but at least we all agree this is just about some Twitter posts now, that makes it easier to discuss.

I probably don't need to go tell Logan to knock this off, as he is entirely aware of Ian's post and he'll make his own call, I'd wager.

Oh, one warning, I have a tendency to edit my posts a lot. Just FYI.

Alright, so let's add context to this - I am currently on my phone, chatting about this whilst I prep for WSO today. So I can't easily copy-paste your exact words when I want to raise a counterpoint.

What you did was latch on to my words alone, blow them up and make them part of your angry argument that I should not be trusted on talking about Logan.
Apologies for jumping the gun on that misquote.
But ignoring that aside, the actual point was that you have done a poor job of representing the positions that you are arguing against. You started off by complaining about people making a straw-man out of Logan, and then proceed to straw-man Ian and the people in this thread. Your misquote was merely something amusing to bookend that point.

I am going to prejudge your response - you're going to be tempted to reply on this point but then change the topic back to Logan's tweets, because you prefer arguing in a contextless vacuum rather than looking at something - in this case, a person and their worth - from an educated set of angles.

This is exactly my point.
The overarching topic is Logan's behavior on Twitter, because of his role as a public facing personality for Capcom through WSO and commentating official events. The context of the tweets, some of which were in response to "trolls", does not excuse his behavior, nor does the good he has done excuse his behavior on Twitter. I'm honestly not sure what kind of point you are trying to make here.

Bear in mind that I at no point have ever said I condone or agree with making strongly-worded responses to people on Twitter.
You are being criticized for trying to white-wash Logan's behavior on account of positive things he has done. The latter does not erase the former.

(Also, sidebar: if memory serves Logan said that he'd make a TO uncomfortable the next time they met - is this the TO threaten thing? Because I read that as the great British threat of making someone socially uncomfortable by the whole I-know-that-you-know-that-I-know-that-you-said-I-am-an-asshole-but-I-am-being-courteous-to-you-anyway thing)
From the article:
As part of a discussion yesterday about commentary at the ongoing SXSW Fighters Underground invitational, prominent tournament organizer Andres “nothingxs” Velasco y Coll shared his opinion on Logan Sama’s work in a short tweet[1], no doubt influenced by the behavior mentioned above. Upon noticing the tweet hours later, Logan sent him a vaguely threatening response[2], deleted it, and then removed all doubt of his intentions with the quick follow-up included below[3].
The cited tweets are as follows:
  1. "@ultradavid Logan sux" (link)
  2. C7FyJIQVAAANoYK.jpg
  3. pu8RyD1.png

Regardless, I think I'll hop off the carousel here. We are obviously not going to agree on any of this, and I see no benefit to continuing, for either of us. And honestly, I should stop procrastinating and get some stuff done. I hope that you have a good WSO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom