• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel bad about leaks, as they seem to happen to Capcom quite a lot, but they stretched out this reveal an almost ridiculous amount of time, and then they put it up on their own website early. I'm not sure why they haven't learned that people are going to be checking everywhere for any info.

Edzi

I feel bad about leaks, as they seem to happen to Capcom quite a lot, but they stretched out this reveal an almost ridiculous amount of time, and then they put it up on their own website early. I'm not sure why they haven't learned that people are going to be checking everywhere for any info.

People probably wouldn't be scouring their website for info if they weren't so starved for info in the first place. I mean, think about it, Capcom not only waited forever to actually reveal him, but they constantly made announcements of announcements and told us we'd get new information "soon" almost every week. Stop hyping up announcements where you tell us when you'll reveal a character, and just reveal the character.

At least they didn't take as long as the Sombra reveal!

tumblr_ohblggvl5s1usrgjso1_500.gif

People probably wouldn't be scouring their website for info if they weren't so starved for info in the first place. I mean, think about it, Capcom not only waited forever to actually reveal him, but they constantly made announcements of announcements and told us we'd get new information "soon" almost every week. Stop hyping up announcements where you tell us when you'll reveal a character, and just reveal the character.
Yeah, it wasn't handled that well, but that's SFV in a nutshell.

They should of set up a dedicated channel for news and fan interaction from the get go, instead of these random news drops, filled with vague promises of more. No consistency.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Just because your cast isn't a fucking rainbow doesn't mean it's at the bottom design wise, suggesting that is ludicrous.

Read the rest of what I said. I suggested quite more than that.

This is their own original IP. They want it to sale ludicrous amounts. Part of a way to do that is to give more people an anchor point that pulls them in.

Even look at how Ono talked about wanting to make Laura a better representative of Brazil than Blanka. Or how happy Korea was to get a SF character in Juri. Respecting new markets with designs, or just giving a group of established players something they can get more in touch with, is a good thing.

I agree that Capcom definitely had that diversity on lock in the previous eras - partly due to how many games t hey had going (Rival Schools!).

But, ah, I don't think it's difficult to see that Kolin's face is different than Vega's. Design wise, you can tell what country they rep. Birdie doesn't really even look that American. It's kind of the sum of it's parts, you know? Sure, the blonde is there, but that's not the whole outfit. Changing just the hair color is lazy to me.

Rival Schools is such a good showing to how Capcom can take some freakishly similar designs, (they're just a bunch of school kids! and... some... teachers..) and yet make everyone feel fresh. Hinata, Sakura, and Unmasked Akira could basically be the same character under lesser designers, but they really knew how to make characters pop back then.

At least Vega has a mask! And a claw! These all change his silhouette and perception some. I just find it surprising for Capcom that you actually have to dig below the surface to see the differences. They used to be SO GOOD at even making the first blush or seeing a character strikingly different. Now a person sees tactical swimsuit Kolin fighting the Premium Cammy diver costume, and they think it's a mirror match! ;-)

I get that the blonde is offputting, but Birdie having blonde hair doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't count as a black person.

On the flipside, I do hope the next character isn't a blonde American. Ten blondes out of twenty five or so characters is cutting it close in my eyes.

It's not even that I have a prob with blondes (especially on him, he's not like any other blonde in the game... or almost anywhere else!), it's just weird how stuck they are to such a small pool in inspirations.

If the next 2 characters are highly creative and add something unique to the cast (visually!) , it'll be a good sign.

Edit: Hair color changes as a different alt should be a common thing. Not for diversity or anything, but just because it looks cool.

They did so good in the Sprite days. You'd think it be even easier in the 3D days. These Xmen-suggesting alt colors and stuff are completely a step in the right direction. I wish they started out with colors like that.

The Kolin thing is mildly irritating because her default is her Helen disguise which, from the story mode ending at least, seems to be an illusion created by Gill. So I would have preferred if they made the default a redhead or something while her nostalgia is blonde like everyone else.

Yeah, it would have been great if they used the "Illusion" excuse to make her look like something pretty different, especially in her alt colors. I love the varieties of costumes they gave her though.

Maybe Capcom is just very afraid of doing different things, because they have to stretch their design works for years on the same game. They're starting off very conservative, but workin' some nice stuff as time goes on.

Blueblur1

I like Ed's new outfit over the hoodie look. The only thing I don't like is the hat.

But a hoodie alt costume might like good as long it doesn't look too much like Balrog.

I want to feel sorry for the JP team, but they rest on their laurels so much with reveals that it's hard to. Without a leak of some sort they just take way way too long to actually show off anything, and that goes for Marvel as well.

MechaX

Goodbye your stick

Hope it gets the high score in that Sanford stick chucker game

Sanford threw his stick straight into the ground. I'm aiming for some long-throw action.

What league are you in and are any of them wearing tuxedos? (Just curios because I almost never fight Kens and I've yet to see his latest costume in action.)

I was in Rookie, just got to Bronze. Absolutely none of them wore any special costumes.

Man there's nothing like playing with people right beside you. Went to my locals and took my first match at the tournament and lost the last two. Learn a hell of a lot and met some rad dudes. Brian F was there as well.

Hate that I gotta go back to the dumpy online till next week lol

HardRojo

I love Ed's new look, it shows they can model faces correctly if they really want to. He looks like a troubled child, exactly what I expected him to be. Can't wait to see gameplay.

It's way more interesting than the hoodie look.

*raises hand*

Yup, no question. And I dig the cap, too.

I like Ed's new outfit over the hoodie look. The only thing I don't like is the hat.

But a hoodie alt costume might like good as long it doesn't look too much like Balrog.

The hoodie look was boring as hell.

Much prefer this look, except the hat would look better without the bill

Yea, a hoodie and jorts was about as boring as you can get.
:(

I like it. Hope we get the hoody for his story alt.

Maybe. My hype reset to 0 after seeing the boxing gloves.

Ryce

Everyone keeps saying that Ed's wearing boxing gloves, but they're actually fingerless gloves similar to what Ryu wears. I don't think he's going to be a boxer.

BlizzKrut

Banned
JP team surprisingly upset about the leak. Told y'all he'd be redesigned. I think the JoJo influence is more than intentional.

As for people complaining about the default design - meh. I gave zero fucks for Juri's new design, but got Juri has gotten me to play her. Same for school outfit for Ryu - that thing is badass. What I'm trying to say here is: default outfit in this iteration of SF is largely meaningless, considering they are giving us costumes (unless u like FANG).

Now tell us who's after Ed :p

MechaX

Ah I see. I guess that's where the Ken army lives. Are they giving you trouble or just annoying you with their frequency?

A combination of both. Some of them have their combos and shimmy game on point with their level 600 Ken to the point where I have no idea why they are still hanging around the Rookie bracket. In other situations, I would really prefer to get some MU experience with other characters, but for the most part, 90% of my experience has been Ken.

A combination of both. Some of them have their combos and shimmy game on point with their level 600 Ken to the point where I have no idea why they are still hanging around the Rookie bracket. In other situations, I would really prefer to get some MU experience with other characters, but for the most part, 90% of my experience has been Ken.

Ken is pretty popular the lower you go. In bronze leagues i would fight him all the time. I just hang in silver now playing casual match and i still have to fight him somewhat often but nothing like when in bronze.

Its because you can go fucking nuts with ken and against people learning the basics it works. In silver where people tend to at least understand how the game works (just other things bring us down like reactions, timing, match up knowledge etc) he is more just annoying that anything else. Silver league kens have learned the ability to slow it down and the as they get beat switch on the crazy to catch you off guard. Its annoying but only if i lose because i know i shouldn't have. Normally if i lose to a ken is a string of unlucky guesses.

I would suggest try slowing him down. I assume the kens do a lot of dragon punches and heavy tatsus. Go into training and practise a counter to tatsu and a good crush counter combo off a missed dragon punch. Then just bait them out and let him kill himself.

I think for me as mika my hardest match ups are rashid, vega and sim mainly due to lack of match up experience.

Rashid is just relentless so trying to figure it out while all his shit is flying in your face is tough for me. However tonight i managed to download after the first fight and stop him but it was work.

https://youtu.be/xAY6aN8AgGk

Any of you better players feel free to give me tips. Im not as good or as dedicated as you but always like to know stuff i have missed that i could work on. I already know i drop a lot of combos in high pressure lol. I also have a habit of sticking to what ever my game plan is i that moment whether they block or not. This is mainly because my reactions arnt the best i think. I tend to just assume they are going to block as well so end up going to that plan even when i hit leaving damage on the table.

On the plus side im getting better at anti airing and teching throws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom