• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ucchedavāda;235927417 said:
Both absolute terms and proportions can be misleading. But nobody here, that I have seen, have made arguments like your example with Poison. I could have argued that USFIV had 32 non-blonde characters, while SFV has 12 non-blonde characters, making V much less non-blonde than IV, but that would have been just as silly.

Rather, we could also look at it like this:
If V the same size cast as IV, but with the same proportions as now, then IV would have 1 pink-haired character more than V, but V would have 11 more blondes and white-haired characters that IV. Or if IV had the same size cast as V, but with the same proportions as now, then IV would probably not have any pink-haired characters (1:44 < 1:24) and would have 6 blondes and white-haired characters, compared to V's 12.
I was just using ridiculous hyperbole, not meant to be taken serious. :p I don't want to imply such arguments were ever being made.

But instead of interpreting it through one way or another, I'm just looking it in the most straightforward terms on its own accord: The cast has 10 blonde characters out of 25 once Ed launches (11 if you're counting Birdie, but his facial hair being brown disqualifies him from my view), and I just don't consider that particularly egregious compared to the amount of hubbub it makes, heh. It skews a little higher, but I find the perception, well, overblown. But I guess SF4 was just brunette fighter and no one minded.

I was just using ridiculous hyperbole, not meant to be taken serious. :p I don't want to imply such arguments were ever being made.

But instead of interpreting it through one way or another, I'm just looking it in the most straightforward terms on its own accord: The cast has 10 blonde characters out of 25 once Ed launches (11 if you're counting Birdie, but his facial hair being brown disqualifies him from my view), and I just don't consider that particularly egregious compared to the amount of hubbub it makes, heh. It skews a little higher, but I find the perception, well, overblown. But I guess SF4 was just brunette fighter and no one minded.

IV was absolutely brunette fighter, by the same standard. Regardless of base colors, I'd just want Capcom to play more with alt colors. Juri's new costume was great in that regard:

a4xzfjeotsty.jpg

Oh yeah, I'd definitely love them to get more creative with the colours. They rarely touch the eye colours but I appreciate when they change those too, I want some more radical looks. I would love for more Urien-like palettes.

JP team surprisingly upset about the leak. Told y'all he'd be redesigned. I think the JoJo influence is more than intentional.

As for people complaining about the default design - meh. I gave zero fucks for Juri's new design, but got Juri has gotten me to play her. Same for school outfit for Ryu - that thing is badass. What I'm trying to say here is: default outfit in this iteration of SF is largely meaningless, considering they are giving us costumes (unless u like FANG).

mbpm1

i think Ed looks handsome, but the design itself is a little weird.

As for questions of diversity, well...it's only two characters. If the next character this season is blonde white person there is a point though, but there's plenty of time considering we all know that azam, satsuki, and byron are next.

MrCarter

JP team surprisingly upset about the leak. Told y'all he'd be redesigned. I think the JoJo influence is more than intentional.

As for people complaining about the default design - meh. I gave zero fucks for Juri's new design, but got Juri has gotten me to play her. Same for school outfit for Ryu - that thing is badass. What I'm trying to say here is: default outfit in this iteration of SF is largely meaningless, considering they are giving us costumes (unless u like FANG).

Good. They should have revealed him sooner. You reap what you sow unfortunately.

The new and improved Ed looks amazing. His face is so handsome, and it looks like he always finished his veggies. A++++++++++ redesign Capcom! I'm so happy!

I'm not sure how I feel about the tiny little hat though. It's kinda cute but I need to see it in action.

MrCarter

The new and improved Ed looks amazing. His face is so handsome, and it looks like he always finished his veggies. A++++++++++ redesign Capcom!

I'm not sure how I feel about the tiny little hat though. It's kinda cute but I need to see it in action.

I knew you'd be a fan hehe. His face is A++ for sure.

Poor Ken.

Mizerman

The new and improved Ed looks amazing. His face is so handsome, and it looks like he always finished his veggies. A++++++++++ redesign Capcom! I'm so happy!

Heh. Sounds like you approve greatly.

I want to see his animations. That's what really is important to me in terms of design as a whole package. And yes, his face is good. Poor Ken indeed, lol.

mbpm1

Not sure why he went from hoodie ed to dress uniform Ed. Seems like his character/personality will be different then

I quite like Ed's new design. Would have preferred a hood in that outfit instead of that hat, but that's a minor gripe for me. Already considering him as a new main just based on design and potential play style, and if he's motion it's guaranteed.

I knew you'd be a fan hehe. His face is A++ for sure.

Poor Ken.
Yeah, his modelling is Urien level good, at least from what we've seen so far. My hype from Ed has gone from 0 to 100 in just one day.

Heh. Sounds like you approve greatly.
I feel bad for those that were wanting the lithe, hoodie design, as I know what it's like to be on that side of a redesign, but personally I'm ecstatic.

This silhouette, at least to me, seemed like the only chance we were going to have this season to get a sexy, buff guy. The next one is basically a walking mountain, then most likely a slender woman, and finally some masked warrior guy in armor. There's always potential for the remaining characters, but this was the guy I had my hopes set on, and when it was leaked it was Ed, I was really disappointed. But now having seen his design, it's the first time I've actually been inspired to get the season pass. It's a good day. :)

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

His taunt should be him standing with his arms folded while the little hat spins on top of his head.

MrCarter

Not sure why he went from hoodie ed to dress uniform Ed. Seems like his character/personality will be different then

Ed ages faster than normal due to psycho power. It makes sense that his body is also engineered to grow into the perfect fighter's body since Abel has the exact same body and they are both meant to be Bison's body replacements. I doubt the dictator of the world wants a scrawny body. I think his smug personality is still in tact though with that little grin he has on his face.

mbpm1

Either way, show me dat trailer on monday

they've kept the playstyle under wraps, which was always the most important part anyway

FluxWaveZ

If his personality isn't the cocky, sarcastic Cody type, that would break it for me. I want a character like that who isn't Juri, and Ed had all the indications of being it.

His taunt should be him standing with his arms folded while the little hat spins on top of his head.
I'll allow it.

I knew it.
More hunks are always the answer. He's just behind Necalli in terms of best SFV design for me. Sorry Rashid!

And I just remembered that really liked Ed's voice during the story mode, so that's a bonus.

Ed ages faster than normal due to psycho power. It makes sense that his body is also engineered to grow into the perfect fighter's body since Abel has the exact same body and they are both meant to be Bison's body replacements. I doubt the dictator of the world wants a scrawny body. I think his smug personality is still in tact though with that little grin he has on his face.
I was just gonna say this. If Ed is a Bison body, it makes sense he'd grow up like this.

Mizerman

Either way, show me dat trailer on monday

they've kept the playstyle under wraps, which was always the most important part anyway

Yep. I'm not too worried about his personality. I'm sure he'll still be smug. It's how he plays that decide for me.

mbpm1

Him growing up is fine. My concern was more what Flux said, and that he seems like a different person.

I'm sure it'll be alright though. I'm not too invested in that.

FluxWaveZ

Not every time. .. was it every time?

I don't mean a trailer, but it sure feels like there's been some kind of unintentional reveal concerning practically every DLC character in SFV.

It was funny enough that Sony did it for Ed. And then they literally had a week left, but let it go by and more of the character gets leaked by Capcom themselves. It's always something.

Neoxon

Balrog raised him well.

Edzi

I like his design. The only questionable part is the hat but that'll probably look better in motion.

Lol at the character leaking again though. That's what they get for teasing for so long.

Blueblur1

Seems like the JP Team wanted to take Golden Week off and wait until they came back to reveal the character.

If anything folks should start throwing shade at Capcom JP specifically when they complain about SFV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom