• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayad

Only Ken, Charlie, Ed, and Nash rep the good ol' US of A...
Look how disappointed he is:
6330iPt.jpg

Blueblur1

Ed looks like he's into S&M... lol

Anyway, Detective GAF at it again. Those images were probably loaded to the street fighter site a month ago.

Edit: Oh wait, may is specified in the URL. Then it was probably just added.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I mean, they still are? Just because they are blonde doesn't mean they are straight from America. Kolin is probably from Russia, Ken dies his hair color (he's half Japanese), Birdie is British (and I'm pretty sure he dies his hair as well), Karin and R. Mika are from Japan, and Vega is from Spain. Oh, and Cammy is British as well.

Only Ken, Charlie, Ed, and Nash rep the good ol' US of A. Too many people are hung up on the hair when most characters aren't even from America, much less the same place.

I know it doesn't mean they're all Americans, or "white", but visually, it crushes a lot of possible design uniqueness. It'd help a bit if their alt costumes / colors worked with variations a bit more too. Or better yet, make the "unique" looks their defaults, and then make the alts indulge in the safer, less surprising looks.

One shouldn't have to fight so hard to find the differences in blond hair, fair-skinned characters. Or shouldn't have so many of them in the first place? When things as simple as hair and skin color can strengthen the feel of a character's uniqueness, why are they using such a limited default palette?

Capcom in like... their Darkstalkers days, have designs more akin to Overwatch. Even people who are from the same group, country, or region of the world, are visually very separate from each other. Every character design is a chance to make a different person feel like "I have someone that I can relate to!" in the game. Your audience grows by giving more people an anchor point into your universe.

So why waste resources pushing so many designs towards the same, or similar, archetypes? It's a really poorly done creative method, and honestly far beneath the standards Capcom has set over the years.

And if you're going to overload on something... at least overload on something refreshingly different.

MrCarter

I know it doesn't mean they're all Americans, or "white", but visually, it crushes a lot of possible design uniqueness. It'd help a bit if their alt costumes / colors worked with variations a bit more too. Or better yet, make the "unique" looks their defaults, and then make the alts indulge in the safer, less surprising looks.

One shouldn't have to fight so hard to find the differences in blond hair, fair-skinned characters. Or shouldn't have so many of them in the first place? When things as simple as hair and skin color can strengthen the feel of a character's uniqueness, why are they using such a limited default palette?

Capcom in like... their Darkstalkers days, have designs more akin to Overwatch. Even people who are from the same group, country, or region of the world, are visually very separate from each other. Every character design is a chance to make a different person feel like "I have someone that I can relate to!" in the game. Your audience grows by giving more people an anchor point into your universe.

So why waste resources pushing so many designs towards the same, or similar, archetypes? It's a really poorly done creative method, and honestly far beneath the standards Capcom has set over the years.

And if you're going to overload on something... at least overload on something refreshingly different.

Good post. While I agree with most of what you said I don't think creativity is completely bankrupt within the SFV team when it comes to the character roster. Rashid, Fang, Necalli and Laura all look and feel very different with unique personalities and play styles however, recently, it seems Capcom wants to keep up with the blonde hair and white skin motif with Kolin and Ed.

Kolin and ed have always been blond though...
If these are the characters they want to make playable, they shouldn't have to replace them or push them back just out of fear that people will complain about "my diversity".

Also creating a "diverse" character, just for the sake of having said diversity is even worse, they should just do whatever they get excited about creatively, whether that's blond ed or lion akuma.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I think they definitely have the potential for it. Which is why it hurts a bit more each time they decide to ignore it. It's just... not very Capcom-like. Which is weird because premium characters attached to a 60 dollar game should be the pinnacle of their design talents, not the bottom.

I agree that Capcom definitely had that diversity on lock in the previous eras - partly due to how many games t hey had going (Rival Schools!).

But, ah, I don't think it's difficult to see that Kolin's face is different than Vega's. Design wise, you can tell what country they rep. Birdie doesn't really even look that American. It's kind of the sum of it's parts, you know? Sure, the blonde is there, but that's not the whole outfit. Changing just the hair color is lazy to me.

I get that the blonde is offputting, but Birdie having blonde hair doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't count as a black person.

On the flipside, I do hope the next character isn't a blonde American. Ten blondes out of twenty five or so characters is cutting it close in my eyes.

Edit: Hair color changes as a different alt should be a common thing. Not for diversity or anything, but just because it looks cool.

myco666

All black clothes and blonde hair definitely makes Ed look too much like a nazi. Atleast there are alt colors so maybe those will make him look less nazi.

The whole Blonde Fighter thing is a bit overblown. Counting Ed there are 10 blondies in the cast, but there are 9 characters with black/dark brown hair. They might be missing gingers and more variety of eccentric colours, but it's not that skewed.

The whole Blonde Fighter thing is a bit overblown. Counting Ed there are 10 blondies in the cast, but there are 9 characters with black/dark brown hair. They might be missing gingers and more variety of eccentric colours, but it's not that skewed.

Looking at the numbers (and not making any judgment here), there are now more blonde or white-haired characters in SFV (12) than there was in USFIV (11), despite the size of the cast in SFV (24) being roughly half of that in USFIV (44). In other words, there are roughly twice as many blondes in SFV as in USFIV, proportionally speaking.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Getting over the original surprise of how different Ed is from his hoodie-teen incarnation, that's a pretty cool outfit, albeit pretty close to Bison's.

Has anyone been seeing a lot of the new costumes online? I fought a schoolgirl Juri and a cheerleader Mika and a couple of school Chuns (nobody warned me they were thigh high stockings!) right when the content launched but I haven't seen a single Ken, Ryu, or Alex in a new outfit. I'm seeing Bison stage a lot, though, which is nice.

Ucchedavāda;235920916 said:
Looking at the numbers (and not making any judgment here), there are now more blonde or white-haired characters in SFV (12) than there was in USFIV (11), despite the size of the cast in SFV (24) being roughly half of that in USFIV (44). In other words, there are roughly twice as many blondes in SFV as in USFIV, proportionally speaking.
Yeah but, so? Is it supposed to be proportional to Ultra's?

jett

D-Member

There are, literally, only three blondes in SF3 (including Gill). Seven in SF4 (out of 44).

Is it really overblown. Is it.

There are, literally, only three blondes in SF3 (including Gill). Seven in SF4 (out of 44).

Is it really overblown. Is it.
And Alpha 3 had 8 (which a fair few of the blondies here are being pulled from). Big whoop.

If there's anything to blame, it's SF4's negligence towards Charlie, Mika, and Karin. ;~;

Yeah but, so? Is it supposed to be proportional to Ultra's?

Ultra is probably the best point of comparison, since that is the last game in the series, and what people would naturally tend to compare SFV with. You could also compare with real-world statistics, but that would probably make it look even more skewed for SFV, since blondes are much less common than darker hair colors, globally speaking.

But I am not saying what it should be, merely what it is.

Ucchedavāda;235923043 said:
Ultra is probably the best point of comparison, since that is the last game in the series, and what people would naturally tend to compare SFV with. You could also compare with real-world statistics, but that would probably make it look even more skewed for SFV, since blondes are much less common than darker hair colors, globally speaking.

But I am not saying what it should be, merely what it is.
I'm just viewing it in absolute terms because proportionally can be misleading. SF4 has an infinitely greater amount of pink haired characters than SF5. Ergo, SF4 is pink fighter. Though given that the "new" characters of Season 2 has actually come to means characters existing in SF5 in some fashion now made playable, I suspect we're going to be having a blonde drought for the remainder of the season.

Pompadour

Kolin and ed have always been blond though...
If these are the characters they want to make playable, they shouldn't have to replace them or push them back just out of fear that people will complain about "my diversity".

Also creating a "diverse" character, just for the sake of having said diversity is even worse, they should just do whatever they get excited about creatively, whether that's blond ed or lion akuma.

The Kolin thing is mildly irritating because her default is her Helen disguise which, from the story mode ending at least, seems to be an illusion created by Gill. So I would have preferred if they made the default a redhead or something while her nostalgia is blonde like everyone else.

MechaX

After owning this game since launch essentially, I am just now really making a serious effort to get into it.

I picked Cammy this time, because I think my brain works with her the best for some reason (not that she's easy to play or anything, of course not).

I don't know about Ranked though. Either I get blown the fuck up, or I'm fighting people who I am convinced are just trolling me (Zangiefs with 0 SPDs, Ryus with no fireballs, etc). That, and I've probably fought at least 10 Kens all across the spectrum.

I guess I'll keep playing, but the "flow" of combat in this game has not really clicked for me despite how I still keep up on the game in the tournament scene.

The same artist that recently did a digital painting of Juri has put up one of Makoto:
https://www.patreon.com/posts/makoto-060517-10670268
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtiqnsXTdf0

I'm just viewing it in absolute terms because proportionally can be misleading. SF4 has an infinitely greater amount of pink haired characters than SF5. Ergo, SF4 is pink fighter. Though given that the "new" characters of Season 2 has actually come to means characters existing in SF5 in some fashion now made playable, I suspect we're going to be having a blonde drought for the remainder of the season.

Both absolute terms and proportions can be misleading. But nobody here, that I have seen, have made arguments like your example with Poison. I could have argued that USFIV had 32 non-blonde characters, while SFV has 12 non-blonde characters, making V much less non-blonde than IV, but that would have been just as silly.

Rather, we could also look at it like this:
If V the same size cast as IV, but with the same proportions as now, then IV would have 1 pink-haired character more than V, but V would have 11 more blondes and white-haired characters that IV. Or if IV had the same size cast as V, but with the same proportions as now, then IV would probably not have any pink-haired characters (1:44 < 1:24) and would have 6 blondes and white-haired characters, compared to V's 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom