• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

NRS games have a little shit but it ain't gougi.
The golgi also give you some crazy defensive options. You saw that armor. There's probably better defensive options I think too
Well defensive options built into the system rather than having them select it. They could balance it with one that's universal but looking for defense in a selectable thing is gonna get people heated.

mbpm1

I thought all the golgi have specific defensive options. They have things if you block, spend meter etc for all of them on the card

On an unrelated note card games seem to have more and more influence on random things. Even xcom has something like that coming up

Pompadour

I wonder if people are actually going to play a busted game. Like if people are whining about cheap stuff in fighting games would it really be fun if everything is busted? We can't even handle a slightly overpowered character. And all the good shit becomes the gold standard so people use it all the time over other busted things.

I'd rather they balance that shit but keep the fun. A little busted is alright as long as it doesn't result in people just shitting around with one deck/gougi and a few characters for viability.

Isn't busted nonsense in the spirit of SFEX? Those games always came off kind of Mugeny to me.

Skilletor

I wonder if people are actually going to play a busted game. Like if people are whining about cheap stuff in fighting games would it really be fun if everything is busted? We can't even handle a slightly overpowered character. And all the good shit becomes the gold standard so people use it all the time over other busted things.

I'd rather they balance that shit but keep the fun. A little busted is alright as long as it doesn't result in people just shitting around with one deck/gougi and a few characters for viability.

You wonder if people are actually going to play a new Fighting Layer?

I can answer that one for you:

No.

But what about Allen

No.

It's got Skullo-

No. Mania.

Lots of people seem excited.

Dozens of them.

Even the defensive options are crazy strong, like the guard cancel goes into a special and you can super cancel that special. Basically at that point the opposing player can't really do block strings because they can die and the guard cancel beats super armor iirc.

joe2187

Banned
I just want to play Darun, and Yes I'll fucking play Fighting Layer.

Bonus points if I get to fight a fucking shark underwater.

I'll happily play a lot of FIghter Layer.

But I also am prepared for the inevitability that I'll be like one of 20 people in total playing this game from the Middle East to Pakistan.

A lot of the dedicated FGC people, and the people who love fighting games enough to buy all of them even if they don't play it will certainly be the target audience.

Do you mean Vanilla or patched version?
It's kinda funny that SFxT had Crush Counters already.
I enjoyed my time with the Vanilla version. Didn't play 2013 for that long before going back to IV.

My Steve Fox/Hwoarang tho

the game died while I was learning a Christie/Elena team and learning Lei Wulong :(

mbpm1

I enjoyed my time with the Vanilla version. Didn't play 2013 for that long before going back to IV.

My Steve Fox/Hwoarang tho

the game died while I was learning a Christie/Elena team and learning Lei Wulong :(
Don't worry, at least you'll be able to play those characters in tekken or sfv

The Ken face photoshopped on everything meme is the best thing to come out of SFV IMO.
DCRRRCQWAAAQ9QM.jpg

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
That feeling when a FANG goes wild on you and wins the first game and you can't tell if they're actually good or not so you just start blocking more and destroy them the next two games.

Luce, I thought of you during my throw loops.

Zackat

Is it possible for it to be good for the other person when your own screen is fully freezing for seconds at a time? That's very troubling.
Yes. This is the largest complaint about the netcode. Like when someone doesn't rematch you when you think there was no lag, that is almost always the reason why.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Yes. This is the largest complaint about the netcode. Like when someone doesn't rematch you when you think there was no lag, that is almost always the reason why.

I assumed that applied to when one player is kind of stuttery, not when the whole thing freezes up every 2 seconds.

Capcom should maybe work on that.

I have had a record number of people refusing rematches today so I guess something is up on my end, too.

I assumed that applied to when one player is kind of stuttery, not when the whole thing freezes up every 2 seconds.

Capcom should maybe work on that.
Well they could do that, OR they could put more money towards making stages for the CAPCOM PRO TOUR 2017 which will have it's finals held LIVE AT CAPCPOM CUP 2017 AT PSX 2017, BOOK YOUR TICKETS NOW.

Scotia

Banned
I'm getting Fighting EX Layer day one purely because it's got Skullomania and Allen Snider in it. I'll pre-order that shit if D. Dark's in it.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

No.

But what about Allen

No.

It's got Skullo-

No. Mania.

Dozens of them.

I will definitely buy and play it buy yeah, point taken. SF is the only fighter I have any real time for anymore. When I was younger, I could have spread the wealth, but now, pretty much impossible.

Skilletor

I will definitely buy and play it buy yeah, point taken. SF is the only fighter I have any real time for anymore. When I was younger, I could have spread the wealth, but now, pretty much impossible.

I'm definitely going to play it. I give everything without stupid lolis a chance.

But the only games I can actually play with people outside of discord and friends are T7, IJ2, and SF5.

I'd add KI, but my stick doesn't work. :/

Pompadour

Yeah, I buy nearly every major fighting game release and try to get into the game because 1) fighting games are by far my favorite genre and 2) it's not unfathomable that my favorite franchise, Street Fighter, might take off 5-10 years in the near future. I want to have something to play in that scenario so I try to get as many series to "click" as possible.

The issue is, as opposed to when I was younger, is I have more money and less time so I really can't put a ton of effort into learning every fighting game. It's funny because SFV's business model is what I wished for when I was playing SF4. I got Dudley in SSF4 and I was miffed I had to continually drop $20 for updates so I keep playing with the playerbase. If SF4 was V I could have spent $60 and been done, only dropping money on costume packs.

Now with SFV I got my main, who isn't my ideal main but oh well, but I'm buying the season passes to screw around with the new characters. Playing the new DLC characters is genuinely a ton of fun and a stark contrast to SF4 where I'd call maybe 5 characters out of 44 playable for me.

I guess the upsideof making SFV more rushdown focused, which is the style I play, is half the cast is interesting to me. I lament the lack of zoning because I loved those match ups in SF4 because it was exhilarating to play Dudley and be at a huge disadvantage when I'm on the outside but finally getting in felt like I popped X-Factor 3. I don't get that feeling in SFV because it's more people trading off who gets to play dominant rushdown.

So I'm saying I wish SF4 didn't come out when I was a poor college student.

Skilletor

Hey Skill, who do you play in T7?

Also how do you like Supergirl with her new buffs?

Master Raven and Law.

It's nice to have a reliable way to pressure without going into ice breath. She's just...kind of there, though, you know. The damage buff is nice, the safe strings are nice, but it just feels like lots of characters can do what she does better. It feels like I don't have cool ways to spend meter like a lot of the cast. I wish her MB shoulder check wasn't the whirlwind move, but instead a way to end combos. Something like that. A lot of Supergirl's extra slot moves, don't know what they're called, feel like they should be regular moves.

I'm using her to get used to Injustice/NRS inputs, because I feel she is the "ryu" type, and she's been great for that. But now that I'm getting used to the systems and controls, I find myself wanting more. Starfire is a pretty good complement to her, I think. Kara is good in close/mid range, and Kori is good midrange/far.

Yeah I get what you mean. She's great if you want that all rounded toolset but overall there's just way too many characters that do a lot of what she does only better. At least she has little issues dealing with zoning which can be a godsend against some of the more hardcore zoners so she does have that uniqueness going for her.

And D'oh, I remember you playing Master Raven lol. I've been playing Katarina myself but I want to have a secondary and I'm going through a bit of a character crisis lol. Katarina just feels way too simplistic to the point where it gets really difficult to play against characters that have legitimately good defense and won't fall into any of the traps. Been looking at Lars and thinking of learning Lili because as I've mentioned before, I have a weakness for non-American blondes.
And american blondes but that's another matter.

I thought all the golgi have specific defensive options. They have things if you block, spend meter etc for all of them on the card

On an unrelated note card games seem to have more and more influence on random things. Even xcom has something like that coming up

I didn't see that! Still, depends on how they balance it I guess. It'd have to be good against the dumbest stuff lol

Isn't busted nonsense in the spirit of SFEX? Those games always came off kind of Mugeny to me.

People hated EX. It had a cult following but most people didn't like the game. It being busted wasn't that fun for many people.

No.

But what about Allen

No.

It's got Skullo-

No. Mania.

Dozens of them.

It's sad how true this is. Some people are overstepping how important EX was. It was one of the least selling SF games, people hated the repeated normals, and while characters were memorable, the excel system was busted. I think it kinda evened itself somewhat but it still has tons of jank, because some characters were far better than others. Gief and Sim were stupidly strong, and some character's combos would mess up due to the screen shifting. Excel benefited the strong way, way more than the weak (were have I heard that?), and meter gain was stupid because IIRC you could just whiff anything. Even if that wasn't the case, you'd get meter in large amounts.

Regardless, I'm in there day one. I'd love to do pro bono marketing for them as well just for support.

Pompadour

People hated EX. It had a cult following but most people didn't like the game. It being busted wasn't that fun for many people.

It's sad how true this is. Some people are overstepping how important EX was. It was one of the least selling SF games, people hated the repeated normals, and while characters were memorable, the excel system was busted. I think it kinda evened itself somewhat but it still has tons of jank, because some characters were far better than others. Gief and Sim were stupidly strong, and some character's combos would mess up due to the screen shifting. Excel benefited the strong way, way more than the weak (were have I heard that?), and meter gain was stupid because IIRC you could just whiff anything. Even if that wasn't the case, you'd get meter in large amounts.

Regardless, I'm in there day one. I'd love to do pro bono marketing for them as well just for support.

Yeah, it's bizarre how warmly received those games seem now. I remember people writing off the KOF Maximum Impacts because they looked like Street Fighter EX-style knockoffs of a franchise people liked. I mean, those games were shit but I understand the sentiment.

They did nothing for me, weirdly enough, despite coming out in that time period where 3D was perceived as automatically superior. After playing them I remember thinking that a Street Fighter 4 would never be made because it would be impossible to adapt what people loved from the old games into three dimensional gameplay. 3D had such a stranglehold on gaming that I couldn't perceive of a SF that played 2D but was polygonal.

It's interesting that Tekken of all games is probably offering the closest approximation of what a successful, Mario 64-style 3Dification of the SF series. I figure if TxSF ever comes out it'll be what me 15 years ago thought SF4 would be if Capcom could pull it off (plus Tekken characters).

Skilletor

Yeah I get what you mean. She's great if you want that all rounded toolset but overall there's just way too many characters that do a lot of what she does only better. At least she has little issues dealing with zoning which can be a godsend against some of the more hardcore zoners so she does have that uniqueness going for her.

And D'oh, I remember you playing Master Raven lol. I've been playing Katarina myself but I want to have a secondary and I'm going through a bit of a character crisis lol. Katarina just feels way too simplistic to the point where it gets really difficult to play against characters that have legitimately good defense and won't fall into any of the traps. Been looking at Lars and thinking of learning Lili because as I've mentioned before, I have a weakness for non-American blondes.
And american blondes but that's another matter.

I haven't played many people in Injustice 2, just random friends. Got bodied by Aquaman the other night, lol. With the upcoming changes to player matches (that's how I spend most of my time online in fighters), I'll be playing it A LOT more.

Tekken is in a weird spot for me. I'm at the point where I need to learn how to fight all these characters, but since it's hard to do that through online, I need to actually research and watch vids. That's the most boring stuff in the world for me to do, so I haven't played much since EVO. :/

Marvel

could never
I haven't played T7 in weeks :s despite loving it. Just too much to play right now, there's more coming too.

I haven't played many people in Injustice 2, just random friends. Got bodied by Aquaman the other night, lol. With the upcoming changes to player matches (that's how I spend most of my time online in fighters), I'll be playing it A LOT more.

Tekken is in a weird spot for me. I'm at the point where I need to learn how to fight all these characters, but since it's hard to do that through online, I need to actually research and watch vids. That's the most boring stuff in the world for me to do, so I haven't played much since EVO. :/
Honestly you don't even need to go into videos and research.

If you can play like a long set against the same player using the same character then you'll learn more from that then you can in a video. Everything is surprisingly intuitive, like you can identify which buttons he pressed for a jab string just based on which leg he used. All you need really to improve (on a basic level) is frame data available in a convenient matter, and T7chicken is a GREAT app that does just that.

All you NEED to know is the properties of your own character, everything else is learned by just playing the game and focusing on the frames of your opponents. Whether something is launch punishable, whether something is jab punishable, whether a move is a high so that it can be ducked, what are the possible variations that he can do for the end of a string, etc, etc.

I've been doing pretty much this and I've gotten fairly decent at learning to fight some of the characters. Still need to spend time on some of the lower used characters though.

I haven't played T7 in weeks :s despite loving it. Just too much to play right now, there's more coming too.
Yup, I actually have a first world problem in that there's too many fighting games that I wanna play. I love to play T7, love to play IJ2, I really want to start a new account on SFV where I use only Kolin, and then there's GEESE MOTHAFUCKING HOWARD coming out in 2018 combined with more new games coming in 2018!!

joe2187

Banned
So X Kira is saying more new stages and the Barrel Bonus stage are coming as well?

Cammys stage
Uriens Stage
Mikas Stage
Capcom Wrestling stage ?

oh and I guess FANGs stage as well.

I thought Geese is is released in Winter 2017? Must be an error.

Oh yeah, sorry Geese is Winter 2017 with the next guest character sometime in 2018.

So X Kira is saying more new stages and the Barrel Bonus stage are coming as well?

Cammys stage
Uriens Stage
Mikas Stage
Capcom Wrestling stage ?

oh and I guess FANGs stage as well.
That Capcpom wrestling stage was leaked last year I believe, but nothing came of it. My guess is that they didn't want two ring stages since they were already selling their Ring of Destiny stage.

Pompadour

Honestly you don't even need to go into videos and research.

If you can play like a long set against the same player using the same character then you'll learn more from that then you can in a video. Everything is surprisingly intuitive, like you can identify which buttons he pressed for a jab string just based on which leg he used.

That sort of thing should be in every fighting game. I don't know if I'd do it like IJ2 for 2D fighters because I'm a fan of having the character always face in the same direction for moves (so tying an attack to a specific limb wouldn't work) but fighting games need to be more intuitive. It's kind of dumb you can't always tell what moves are lights, mediums, etc. let alone the game not making it obvious what moves are invincible. I don't want to color code every attack but there's got to a smart, subtle compromise.

I like how in Xrd if an enemy's attack intersects with your invincible hurtbox there's a specific effect for that, letting the players know the move whiffed because of invincibility, not because of shitty hitboxes. Of course, it would be nicer if it was clear that the move is invincible from the start.

That sort of thing should be in every fighting game. I don't know if I'd do it like IJ2 for 2D fighters because I'm a fan of having the character always face in the same direction for moves (so tying an attack to a specific limb wouldn't work) but fighting games need to be more intuitive. It's kind of dumb you can't always tell what moves are lights, mediums, etc. let alone the game not making it obvious what moves are invincible. I don't want to color code every attack but there's got to a smart, subtle compromise.

I like how in Xrd if an enemy's attack intersects with your invincible hurtbox there's a specific effect for that, letting the players know the move whiffed because of invincibility, not because of shitty hitboxes. Of course, it would be nicer if it was clear that the move is invincible from the start.
Yeah, it really is a bit weird.

A bit off topic but are the high-hitting moves in SF the ones that can be ducked, like Alex's f+HP, Gief's and Chun's and Ryu's St.hk? Or do you also have high-hitting moves that can't be ducked? I guess I should know if I'm gonna learn Kolin.

JusDoIt

If SFV is doing bonus stages for arcade mode, it needs to have something that actually takes advantage of and illustrates the game's mechanics...

What I'm saying is we should have a V-Reversal Sean's basketball chest passes minigame.

Top Bottom