• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

sTrEeTs Of RaGe 4 ~ rAgE iN tHe CaGe

JimboJones

Considering 3 dev teams worked on this, I expected a bit more content. The cutscenes were too short, no voice acting, no ending, etc. Doesn't hold a candle to River City Girls but not a bad co op game either. Also Blaze looks great.

Honestly I'm not sure why they bothered with the story bits, they were pretty crap and not needed in a game like this.

YCoCg

Is it? I don't remember story segments inbetween levels during 1 and 2. Just the intro and little bits at the end
SoR3 had story panels between stages and SoRR also did them, but in the flip side that's what Arcade mode is for to cut out all the story stuff and just go stage to stage.

For anyone wondering, SOR3 versions of characters do have rolls and running but something is off for them. Like they have nerfed some things. Axel running is nearly as slow as Cherry walking. It's ridiculous. SOR3 Shiva has been altered in a bunch of ways too.

I also played with Retro soundtrack enables. Why the fuck does it use Mega Drive SOR2 and Master System SOR1? What the fuck is that about?

Beat on Mania and in some spots, it's nonsense. The invincibilty frames on some enemies are nonsense. Fucking Z has invincibility frames. And when there's a screen full of enemies, it can get atrocius.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Just finished it. Not a huge Streets of Rage person but I am a big Beat Em Up person. For whatever reason SoR never was the one that got me.

I liked the game overall. I am rusty in the genre and got my ass handed to be anytime the chicks that jump kick showed up. Still have no idea how to block em.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Anyone who says the OST is weak needs to listen a little more closely. It's completely sick. Honestly I didn't go to the retro OST once so far. I like it the best in the whole series.

Turn your SFX volume down maybe and crank the music up louder. Also download it off Apple Music and listen.

It's lots of famous composers, including the guy who did Remember Me.

The China town level when you fight the thai fighters, when the fire ring closes around you is totally hype.

lock2k

Banned
Anyone who says the OST is weak needs to listen a little more closely. It's completely sick. Honestly I didn't go to the retro OST once so far. I like it the best in the whole series.

Turn your SFX volume down maybe and crank the music up louder. Also download it off Apple Music and listen.

It's lots of famous composers, including the guy who did Remember Me.

The China town level when you fight the thai fighters, when the fire ring closes around you is totally hype.
It's just as awesome as the originals and it got me fucking pumped. A class soundtrack.

Needlecrash

Makes me happy that the game is kicking all sorts of ass. I'm truly loving this game, real talk. When I unlocked SOR 1 Axel, I literally started a new game, turned off the music in the game and I had "Fighting In The Street" (Round 1 from the original Streets of Rage) playing via Steam music player and started playing as OG Axel. I nearly had tears in my eyes when playing, I felt like a kid again. Christmas of 1991, I had the choice of getting a SNES, Turbo Grafx 16 or the Genesis. I chose the Genesis since the commercials they put out were so effective and I wanted one bad. Although I didn't get the game until later on, I had so many good memories playing it. This game honestly takes me back. Nostalgia and retro sells and with a team like this, I not only want to see a Streets of Rage 5, but more of the older Sega IP's (The Revenge of Shinobi, Vectorman, Golden Axe,etc).

Also, THAT SOUNDTRACK HITS.

I'm so fucking happy man. :)

Last edited:

Dee_Dee

Did another play through with Floyd and Adam. Floyd is a powerhouse. Really enjoyed Adam too. I can’t decide if Blaze, Floyd or Adam will be my main.
Also i said The Underground track was my favorite so far but that call the cops track(the one that plays in the police station level) is a banger!

Hoping they add more in DLC. Love this game. ❤

Last edited:

Needlecrash

Oh. One more thing. I was on Amazon Japan and found the Japanese Special Edition of Bare Knuckle IV for the Switch. Comes with the game, soundtrack and poster and collectible tin.

AND YES, THIS CAN BE DELIVERED TO THE UNITED STATES. Shipping date is July 30th.

Last edited:

Kazza

This is the dojo fight song I was talking about earlier. Totally sick.

This song really sells the whole level for me too. I love how he mixes in police sirens so well for the police level.

This song is sick too.

I've been listening to the OST while doing stuff around home and it's amazing. They had big shoes to fill, but did a big job.

I keep going back and forth between Cherry and Floyd

game is pure bliss

People keep saying how much they like Cherry, but I struggled when I played as her yesterday. The dash and kick is great most of the time, but those Donovan guys can give you a nasty uppercut if you're not careful, and those Thai kickboxers can give you a hard knee to the face. The way she can jump from the shoulders of different enemies looks useful, but I haven't mastered it yet.

Anybody got any Cherry tips?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Plowed through it.

Good game, but not worth $32 cdn. This game could have been made on 360/PS3 except for the HD res. Great to have played it on Gamepass.

Lots of insanely cheap hits by the cpu. I don't think some of them are even avoidable. Then again, maybe my reflexes just suck now. Most mid-tier or higher kinds of enemies move faster than you making a game of cat and mouse. There is no way the old Genesis game was like this.

For those of you old time Atari 2600 gamers, remember how you would push the joystick left or right and everything on the screen would move at the same time with instantaneous movement? Like controlling the outfielders in baseball? Lots of enemies move the same way where they move away from you at the exact same speed so you got to constantly move at angles or wait for them to speed burst or warp behind you and then you catch them.

Game had a stiff feel to it. But maybe the old Genny game was the same.

Decent game. B+/B for being a GP game. If I paid $32+tax I'd be pissed. More like a $15 game.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
Floyd is insanely strong. You can stun lock a boss for an entire fight with just 1-2-3 over and over (don't let the fourth attack in the string come out). The gif below was on hard. The timing is pretty strict so it's easy to drop. You can test it out in boss rush mode if you're curious.

Does this only work with some characters? I couldn't do it with Axel.

I love the new soundtrack. Its one of the things they had to get right for me.
Theres just something that feels so good about when I played retro Axel for the first time with the retro soundtrack aswell. It almost feels like a new experience playing through the like this and it feels so right

I dont know why they didnt use all the music from the Genesis. I heard they pulled tracks from the game gear. Dont sound bad, but the Genesis is ofcourse stronger.

I only have small complaints. For some reason it kinda bothers me that when I call the police for a special assist as Axel its not full screen LOL. I cant wait to see what DLC they offer to make this great game even greater.

So playing on Xbox The fat guys dont laugh, but watching my sister and her husband play on PS4 stream and they laugh. Unless they patched it in that small update. Anyone else notice this.

Soodanim

This guy nails what I feel about the game.
I can easily see some dlc and updates for this depending on how this does.

Interesting, thanks for sharing that. I've been jumping to avoid the shield cops, but I didn't think too much about why or test its limits. Makes me want to jump back in.

So playing on Xbox The fat guys dont laugh, but watching my sister and her husband play on PS4 stream and they laugh. Unless they patched it in that small update. Anyone else notice this.
They tend to laugh after they hit you, maybe you're just too good at the game on Xbox.

Last edited:
Top Bottom