• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

sTrEeTs Of RaGe 4 ~ rAgE iN tHe CaGe

Excellent game! I’m glad that it is getting the launch time praise and exposure.

Attention to detail, presentation, balance, and overall feel— especially combo chains — are excellent. 90’s Tokyo video game vibes ? Fuggedaboutit!

Warning: you can’t play this thing more than an hour or so a day without juicing up on Adderall and caffeine; despite the feel, it’s still and intense button masher.

I play as the bouncy big boob ass kicker lady, because of diversity and stuff...

Excellent game so far. Really enjoying and it feels modern, yet old school at the same time. It just feels so good and looks better on my TV than I expected. It’s actually a really good looking game bursting with color, nice lighting and detail. Wonderful soundtrack as well. Really sets the mood for each level.

I want to get a physical copy as well for PS4. Anyone ever ordered anything from Limited Run Games? Their reviews are horrible and it’s kind of scaring me. Lots of people are saying it takes months to get their games and other bad things.

Last edited:

Poppyseed

So found my first frame drops in the Switch version. Stage 6 in the kitchen area with pans on the stove tops. Definitely drops quite a lot of frames in there. It’s the only area of the game (on normal difficulty at least) that I’ve seen it anywhere lower than 60fps. It’s a short section, but it’s there. Wonder if the devs could tighten this section up in terms of frame-rate...

MarkyG

This works really well on Steam's Remote Play feature. My friend and I were playing last night (he doesn't own the game) with room for 1 more person. Literally no delay and the quality was great. Definitely worth a try if you're on the fence about buying the game and know somebody who owns it. :)

I hope this and Sakura Wars find success as being released within days of one another makes me fear that people will buy this game over the other due to nostalgia.

RAIDEN1

3's music is so much better than this. I think with time, now that this soundtrack is part of the series, more people will warm to 3's soundtrack. It's fucking bumping but some people can't accept the style. Personally, I think this soundtrack is weak sauce. They were huge shoes to fill to be fair but it falls so flat in my opinion.

I'm not sure what you mean regarding the 2003 re-boot. You mean SOR Remake? Because I don't rate that either. Though the compositions are the same, they sound like amateur arrangements.

I will concede that this game was quite fun though which I wasn't exepecting after seeing videos. I would have included running and rolling personally in the design of this game. Once you have mastered the controls in BK3, it's a tier above 2 but 2 seems to get the nod. Maybe because it's rememberd more fondly, I'm not sure. I don't like Cherry or Jax. Their designs are ass, Cherry more so. There's a bunch of characters that are in the game in some form that I would have loved to be able to use instead but I'm not going to say who they are just in case it is considered a spoiler. I'm expecting paid DLC bullshit for them though.

I am happy that SOR is getting some love these days. It's a series I've grown up with, I loved every single entry and still play them all regularly. It seems SEGA hasn't completely forgot about it thankfully.
Well the heat was on for Sega seeing as the wait has been so long, and its good to hear that this game lives up to the legacy the previous installments have built, with 3's music some aspects were good, but I wouldn't say across the board it was on another level. That and the fact that Sega messed up the west conversion compared to the superior Japanese version for me makes it an entry that isn't as great as the previous 2, thankfully no such thing happened here for Streets of Rage 4, its a minor miracle that we even got a new entry, and unlike another big Sega franchise (I am looking at you ShenMue 3) this game by the looks of it has delivered what it had to ie the all important gameplay side of things...

Soodanim

I spent the entirety of yesterday playing this and checking the official Discord server.

1. This game is brilliant. It gets so much right, with only a few things that could use some tweaking
  2. The number of people on Discord (and presumably this thread, I haven’t read it) moaning about no run is draining. Adam has his dash, and to a point it feels OP. He’s (grand) upper tier because of it.
  3. Online is not smooth at all. Playable, just about, but not smooth

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I just finished it with Blaze on normal and no continues on my first try (but my score was pretty bad, like 505 in the world, lol, I should strive for high hit combos I suppose). I guess the real test will be Hard, though I did have 0 lives remaining so I guess it was borderline (but I lost a few early on while messing around), but that final boss, at least on normal, is just okay. All the last few bosses were. The enemies gallery shows some I don't recall fighting against or seeing, will they show up on other difficulties or is it just concept art for old enemies they never ended up implementing? Anyway it's overall a pretty nice game, most of the levels were pretty and the encounter design was pretty good without getting annoying. We'll see how I feel about other difficulties later on. It's pretty lengthy too with the 12 levels, it took me about 2 hours to get to the end.

Last edited:

Kazza

Soundtrack is on Streaming services like Apple Music. Think my favorite is The Undergrounds. Slaps hard

Also on youtube now:

The fighting gets so hectic (even on normal) that I need to listen to it outside the game to form a proper opinion (actually, I may play my next game on Easy, so I can better take in the sounds and sights without having to worry about a beat-down)

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I respectfully disagree with the anti-sprint, anti-roll opinion. That was a big part of what made SoR 3 so intense. Same with the hard pounding techno soundtrack it had, compared to this slower grimey house techno mix. I still like it, just lacks some of Rage. More like streets of chill.

Anyway, not really looking to get into that too much. Some cool shit they've added in addition to combos and wall bounces is mid-air fall recovery, and also something you can do is throw certain weapons like the pipe off an enemy and catch it again. Totally shreds through the shield cops.

Kazza

I had never heard of this guy until I say his name popping up under the soundtrack video, but apparently he is a pretty big youtuber. Having a gameplay video of SoR4 with over 1 million viewers will hopefully give sales a boost. He definitely seems into the game!

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Thanks for posting that, IbizaPocholo IbizaPocholo

I was curious about the character unlocks and it looks like aside from Adam, they're all tied to points...
Reaching specific lifetime point meter marks will unlock new characters for you to choose from on the character select screen. There’s one character who can’t be unlocked this way, more on that below, but the other 12 can be. For a full list of unlockable Streets of Rage 4 characters, read on.

• Adam Hunter – Beat chapter four in the campaign
  • Streets of Rage 1 Axel Stone – Accumulate 200,000 lifetime points
  • Streets of Rage 1 Adam Hunter – Reach 250,000 lifetime points
  • Streets of Rage 1 Blaze Fielding – Hit 310,000 lifetime points
  • Streets of Rage 2 Max Thunder – Obtain 390,000 lifetime points
  • Streets of Rage 2 Axel Stone – Rack up 480,000 lifetime points
  • Streets of Rage 2 Blaze Fielding – Reach 570,000 lifetime points
  • Streets of Rage 2 Skate Hunter – Hit 650,000 lifetime points
  • Streets of Rage 3 Axel Stone – Accumulate 730,000 lifetime points
  • Streets of Rage 3 Blaze Fielding – Hit 840,000 lifetime points
  • Streets of Rage 3 Skate Hunter – Obtain 940,000 lifetime points
  • Streets of Rage 3 Dr Gilbert Zan – Rack up 1,050,000 lifetime points
  • Streets of Rage 3 Shiva – Reach 1,150,000 lifetime points

Orta

Banned
The limited Collectors Edition sold out in about two minutes on limitedrungames.

And within another two minutes....

EW8-BD9y-X0-AA3-Jo5.png

What a bunch of spunk spitting cocksuckers :messenger_pouting:

chixdiggit

Played a bunch of this same screen co-op last night on PC. Great times.
Only issue I had is the screen flashes when an Achievement pops up and then again when it disappears.

I spent the entirety of yesterday playing this and checking the official Discord server.

1. This game is brilliant. It gets so much right, with only a few things that could use some tweaking
  2. The number of people on Discord (and presumably this thread, I haven’t read it) moaning about no run is draining. Adam has his dash, and to a point it feels OP. He’s (grand) upper tier because of it.
  3. Online is not smooth at all. Playable, just about, but not smooth

Online has been hit or miss for me. A couple people I played with had rock solid connections and it was lag free. Completely. Many other times it was a lag fest tho. Luckily when I found a good connection I think we both appreciated it and stuck together for awhile

Very solid game. Kinda wish they found some new ways to spice up the formula or level design hazards but considering the state of the genre, a suped up take on SoR2 is still very welcome. Now I need to 1cc that arcade mode and then take the rest of the characters through arcade.

I really wish 4 players coop online was there

If only. Has anyone tried it locally? Does it throw way more enemies at the "team" to compensate? They certainly have the screen space to do so. =P

Very solid game. Kinda wish they found some new ways to spice up the formula or level design hazards but considering the state of the genre, a suped up take on SoR2 is still very welcome. Now I need to 1cc that arcade mode and then take the rest of the characters through arcade.

If only. Has anyone tried it locally? Does it throw way more enemies at the "team" to compensate? They certainly have the screen space to do so. =P
I haven't. Nowadays it's too hard to get people to play local especially with the current crappy pandemic situation

Watching skilled players doing their thing makes me realize how primitive my play style is. No wonder I’m struggling to get more than a B on most stages

Last edited:

Labolas

Yeah definitely a fun game. Soundtrack pretty good. Blaze, who I played as in my first playthrough, looks amazing. I wished she had a dash or a run. She feels kinda weak in comparison to some other characters. Touched Adam for a bit he feels amazing. ROO made an appearance as well. Yay. And yeah this game has combos. Definitely feels fun to have an enemy next to a wall. I wished characters would more colors than just their default. But overall a fun game

TaroYamada

Absolutely phenomenal successor to the SOR franchise. Overdue! I do think it's a mistake to have Cherry be the only one with a run, or Adam the only one with a Dash. Would like to see Run available on everyone except perhaps Floyd.

But overall it's awesome to see this arrive and be a genuinely good game.

Xenon

I think they did a smart move by sticking to Streets of Rage 2 style gameplay. It's a great way to get new fans into the genre without overloading them with options right away. I also like the more strategic nature it requires not being able to zip around the screen with every character.

Definitely looking forward to the next entry. SOR2 & SOR3 are both good in their own way but I've always preferred 2. So I'm glad we got this first.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
So what am I missing? This shit where the enemies and bosses just get to glow white and become immune to all attacks seems completely busted. All you can do is walk out of the way? Seems extra punishing for Floyd who is the slowest.

I'm at Mr. Y and he just jumps to the other side of the room and shoots me. Then I slowly walk to him and he glows white and hits me then jumps to the other side. Over and over. Literally couldn't do anything differently.

At least Max could slide dash. That counter enemies have is almost breaking the game for me.

Try doing Floyd's long reach grab that takes life to use, and they just glow white and suddenly cant be grabbed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom