• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strider |OT| It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got Dat Schwing)

leroidys

I bought this a couple of days ago on a whim. I just got the
plasma catapult
and this game is fucking amazing. Are you guys playing this? ARE YOU??? WAKE UP GAF

Wonko_C

I bought this a couple of days ago on a whim. I just got the
plasma catapult
and this game is fucking amazing. Are you guys playing this? ARE YOU??? WAKE UP GAF

Bought and played on 360, I have only played through it once. I'm saving my hard and -4:00hr playthroughs for whenever I get a GPU with DX11 support or a PS4 for dat 1080p/60fps.

Nitpick of mine: too many dark underground/closed off complexes. Strider has always been a colorful world-spanning adventure, if some other dev gets a chance at a sequel hopefully they can somehow integrate the Metroidvania style without being confined to a single city. I wanna see Siberia, the Amazon, Egypt, Hong Kong, The Third Moon, etc.

leroidys

Bought and played on 360, I have only played through it once. I'm saving my hard and -4:00hr playthroughs for whenever I get a GPU with DX11 support or a PS4 for dat 1080p/60fps.

Nitpick of mine: too many dark underground/closed off complexes. Strider has always been a colorful world-spanning adventure, if some other dev gets a chance at a sequel hopefully they can somehow integrate the Metroidvania style without being confined to a single city. I wanna see Siberia, the Amazon, Egypt, Hong Kong, The Third Moon, etc.

Yeah, this is a legitimate complaint. The character models also look kinda terrible.

Some areas of the game look really good. The second area with all the cartoony smoke billowing out and the soviet red brick buildings in particular. There are some other good looking and inspired areas, and then some areas that just look copy-pasted (asset wise). Some more cohesive art direction and variety would have been nice.

Overall though I don't think it looks bad or anything, the art direction's just not as fantastic as the rest of the game.

maks

Bump

On sale for $7.50 on xbone (50% off). I think i'll be picking it up. Looks like there are no big differences between ps4 and xbone versions.

malfcn

Does this game have a story, LOL?
I landed on a glider and have been randomly running around killing people with little to no context. What!

Tizoc

Does this game have a story, LOL?
I landed on a glider and have been randomly running around killing people with little to no context. What!

It follows the typical video game story:
Defeat the big bad, and any of his minions that stand in your way.

malfcn

I understand the "beat the big bad" concept, but so far there is no concept. It was just land and start slashing. I killed some sister, Pooh, and don't even know why. All I've gathered is there is an oppressing regime.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Bump

On sale for $7.50 on xbone (50% off). I think i'll be picking it up. Looks like there are no big differences between ps4 and xbone versions.

Of course the PS4 version isn't on sale as that's the system I have credit sitting.

Might grab a point card for this.

Wonko_C

I understand the "beat the big bad" concept, but so far there is no concept. It was just land and start slashing. I killed some sister, Pooh, and don't even know why. All I've gathered is there is an oppressing regime.

And that's all you need, trust me. :)

I wish more games to be like this, honestly.

Edit: You can read more about the story with each POW unlock. Think of it like the instruction manuals of old, only this time it's split onto unlockable snippets.

Deadstar

So I started playing this since it was free on plus. It's pretty fun so far. The story is garbage but the action is pretty decent and powers are fun to use. It took me a while to realize that I could use my specials more than I was since they recharge so quickly. I'm currently stuck on the snake boss.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
guys, what do I do on these shields?

Strider_20140706140400.jpg

Steiner84

Yep, just run through. I believe you'll only encounter those on this particular screen (for now, anyway).

Sorry: those special attacks with the eagle (aka "Option C") and the saucer (aka "Option A").

alright thanks.
Ive just got panther, think this might break those shields.

Steiner84

its not easy when your not used to those games.
Im playing on easy. mostly because I was not sure wethere I would like the game and just wanted to enjoy it once without much Trouble.
Im not sure whats different on medium or hard (guess taking more damage. Are enemies more agressive, too?), but seeing this game has no blocking mechanic unless your using the first sword (and even then there are still types of bullets that cannot be blocked) im not sure how this game can be mastered? Sometimes there is just nothing you can do, you will get hit.

Also the pace of the game is quite weird.
The whole game is quite relaxed until you reach the Tower.
There it goes just boom and explodes in your face with full force.
New and more enemies with better moveset and attacks and health boxes are sparse.

AmyS

Nobody with a PS4 has an excuse anymore not to play Strider given the fact that it is now free for Plus members.

I bought it day one for $15 and never regretted it

RedAssedApe

Banned
its not easy when your not used to those games.
Im playing on easy. mostly because I was not sure wethere I would like the game and just wanted to enjoy it once without much Trouble.
Im not sure whats different on medium or hard (guess taking more damage. Are enemies more agressive, too?), but seeing this game has no blocking mechanic unless your using the first sword (and even then there are still types of bullets that cannot be blocked) im not sure how this game can be mastered? Sometimes there is just nothing you can do, you will get hit.

Also the pace of the game is quite weird.
The whole game is quite relaxed until you reach the Tower.
There it goes just boom and explodes in your face with full force.
New and more enemies with better moveset and attacks and health boxes are sparse.

I'm playing on normal and the game has been pretty easy so far. I'll occasionally die because I'm impatient and trying to rush through something and not paying attention to my life bar or trying to recklessly kill a boss. Haven't gotten stuck at any point yet and just basically plowing through the game and enjoying the pace (outside some of the instances that require backtracking).

So far I haven't found a blocking mechanic necessary. You earn health back from most of the enemies you kill. Strider's maneuverability makes it easy to dodge stuff, especially once you get the other upgrades like double-jump, plasma catapault, etc. Worse comes to worse you turn on the ouroboros shield and run if you're in trouble.

Note I've just picked up the ice sword upgrade. Is there maybe a big difficulty jump later on in the game I haven't reached yet?

Alpende

Geez, those save points are fucking ridiculous. I just defeated that Ape dude and I spawn in the next area, story progresses and whatnot. Quit to main menu and want to play again, guess what. I have to defeat that boss again.

What. The. Fuck. Happened to me on several occasions and it's annoying as hell.

Maulik

I liked the game a lot but felt the colored shields ruined the awesome fluidity of the combat and forces you to use a specific power. I would have lived it if the game had instead of using colors for enemies just thrown more interesting mixes of them and given me the freedom to approach the combat the way I wished.

Also, those damn spider bots that fire the homing ice bombs are total bullshit.

Portugeezer

So I completed the game on hard difficulty, was a bit challenging at times but I collect most things so in the end I had a good amount of HP and energy to spam when shit hit the fan (L1 + O and L1 + square) were good to me. Decent game, but I am glad it was free with PS+ otherwise I would have been disappointed if I bought it, it's missing something.

But is this a normal thing for PSN or is it just this game, I beat the game on hard and got the trophy for it, but I don't get the trophy for beating it on normal too? Like... I have to play it again to get the trophy for the lesser difficulty? I am new to PSN with PS4, but on Xbox 360 from what I remember most games would unlock every completion achievement up to the difficulty you completed.

Geez, those save points are fucking ridiculous. I just defeated that Ape dude and I spawn in the next area, story progresses and whatnot. Quit to main menu and want to play again, guess what. I have to defeat that boss again.

What. The. Fuck. Happened to me on several occasions and it's annoying as hell.

Yeah you have to save at a save point, checkpoints only temporarily save your progress as you play the game.

Lima

Several games don't have stackable difficulty achievements/trophies.

Strider is just one of them. You need to play the game a second time anyway to get the speed run trophy so just do that on normal.

Number45

Decided to fire this up with my internet being fucked and the Destiny beta thus being out of bounds... and this is quite a little gem isn't it?

Paid for Transistor sand can't get into it at all, got this for free and I'm loving it. Balance restored. :)

Yeah you have to save at a save point, checkpoints only temporarily save your progress as you play the game.
Wait, what save points? I've just played through to the third area without saving (or seeing anything that gave me the option to save). Have I lost everything?

Number45

The healing stations where you push A/Cross are save points.
Ah, thanks. I like that the game doesn't tell you too much, but I completely missed if that's communicated at all.

Also, the graphics strip across the bottom really gets in the way at times.

Number45

Finished on normal. Really enjoyed it (more so because I genuinely didn't think I would) but I don't think I have what it takes to complete it on hard. It was actually surprisingly easy for the most part, but the last half hour or so I found tricky.

I'd like to see a better connected map so I know where I'm going when exploring, those stupid (positionally) dialogue boxes gone and a much much MUCH quicker restart and skippable dialogue in boss fights. First form of the last boss took me a good few attempts, and getting back into the action I find important in those circumstances.

Kssio_Aug

Just beat this game on hard, my 1st playthrough, and I have to say that it was a GREAT surprise for me! Never played Strider before, and when I downloaded it from PS Plus did not even test... I thought I would not enjoy. Then I finished Guacamelee on the Xbox One and tried this game on the 2D platform vibe, and thought it was a little bit strange at the start. But yesterday I decided to give this a second chance. And thank god I did it, because I had an absolute blast with it!!

It reminded me a lot of my good times playing Mega Man X and X-2 on Snes (my favorite game on that platform btw), with all those upgrades after bosses, gaining new access to new areas and learning new skills, collecting health tanks, and so on. The gameplay was extremely rewarding, and the bosses were pretty fun to fight against!! I think the only time I got a bit frustrated was at the elevator part dying on the last 2 spiders because of those damn flying enemies on the way.

Yeah, this game is not the hardest one on the 2D platforms scene, however I think it was challengening enough and I liked the difficulty overall. I dont like frustrating games, so I thank god that they didnt forced more difficulty sections with stupid puzzles or stupid boss fights just to say it was ultra hardcore! The difficulty is on the right way imo, you will die but you can learn and beat it once you do, and you will keep having fun with it. I may have enoyed every single boss fight, even when I had to repeat several times! Also I liked the big areas to explore and get secret upgrades and collectables, it gives the game more variety!

Thats it! I highly recommend Strider! May even try the platinum trophy later! Hope to see more platform games like this, and gave me more expactations for Mighty No. 9.

leroidys

Just beat this game on hard, my 1st playthrough, and I have to say that it was a GREAT surprise for me! Never played Strider before, and when I downloaded it from PS Plus did not even test... I thought I would not enjoy. Then I finished Guacamelee on the Xbox One and tried this game on the 2D platform vibe, and thought it was a little bit strange at the start. But yesterday I decided to give this a second chance. And thank god I did it, because I had an absolute blast with it!!

It reminded me a lot of my good times playing Mega Man X and X-2 on Snes (my favorite game on that platform btw), with all those upgrades after bosses, gaining new access to new areas and learning new skills, collecting health tanks, and so on. The gameplay was extremely rewarding, and the bosses were pretty fun to fight against!! I think the only time I got a bit frustrated was at the elevator part dying on the last 2 spiders because of those damn flying enemies on the way.

Yeah, this game is not the hardest one on the 2D platforms scene, however I think it was challengening enough and I liked the difficulty overall. I dont like frustrating games, so I thank god that they didnt forced more difficulty sections with stupid puzzles or stupid boss fights just to say it was ultra hardcore! The difficulty is on the right way imo, you will die but you can learn and beat it once you do, and you will keep having fun with it. I may have enoyed every single boss fight, even when I had to repeat several times! Also I liked the big areas to explore and get secret upgrades and collectables, it gives the game more variety!

Thats it! I highly recommend Strider! May even try the platinum trophy later! Hope to see more platform games like this, and gave me more expactations for Mighty No. 9.

Glad you enjoyed it. It was a very pleasant surprise for me as well.

I just started playing this little gem. It's so fun to play. I'm glad I gave it a chance, since I mostly ignore ps+ free games.

Lately I've been digging 2D games, just finished Oddworld: New'n'Tasty and Guacamelee. After finishing this game I'll start playing Rayman: Origins. Good times!

So I've had this downloaded for weeks now and still haven't played it. I got preoccupied with Shovel Knight for a while and am now looking for a new game to play. Rather miraculously despite the graphical awesomeness of the game it somehow runs on my quite modest laptop (it's dual core with a decent Radeon HD graphics card but nothing special). So my question is this. What's the GAF consensus on the game? I've been following this thread on and off and the reaction seems to be universally positive. Is that correct?

Now the dust has settled what did you guys think of the game? A worthy reboot? I'd love to hear specifically from those that have completed it.

Tohsaka

So I've had this downloaded for weeks now and still haven't played it. I got preoccupied with Shovel Knight for a while and am now looking for a new game to play. Rather miraculously despite the graphical awesomeness of the game it somehow runs on my quite modest laptop (it's dual core with a decent Radeon HD graphics card but nothing special). So my question is this. What's the GAF consensus on the game? I've been following this thread on and off and the reaction seems to be universally positive. Is that correct?

Now the dust has settled what did you guys think of the game? A worthy reboot? I'd love to hear specifically from those that have completed it.

I thought it was pretty good; finished it on Hard. I got most of the trophies, but I really dislike having to do speedruns so I didn't bother going for the platinum.

KooopaKid

Banned
I didn't think it was possible for a Metroidvania to be average but it's exactly what Strider is.
On paper, it has all the ingredients for a good Metroidvania game but it's not really working here:

- First mistake, the map is showing an arrow to show you in what direction you must go. In a good Metroidvania you're supposed to study the map to know the best way to get there.

- Second mistake, so far the upgrades are useless outside of unlocking doors (Except the "blink" ability). In a good Metroidvania the special abilities should be useful in several situations, like platforming and combat, not so much here. I only had to use the ice power once to freeze ennemies in order to climb at the top of a room.

- Third mistake, the levels don't feel interconnected and look extremely similar. Except for the city rooftops, the rest is a blur of futuristic looking rooms. In a good Metroidvania, there should be excitement to reach new areas and see what's beyond.

And that's not even mentionning the awful checkpoints (Not before every bosses really?), the unskippable cutscenes with awful dialog, the muted soundtrack and sound effects, the not-so-precise platforming, the dull ennemies, some unfair bossfights and so on.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I would have to agree the game has a significant flaw in terms of how the world is designed. The navigation arrow to the next checkpoint combined with the way the world is split up in a manner I felt was not intuitive. Generally a good metroid-style map should become more logical as it is filled in and provide "ah-hah" moments when sections connect back onto previous sections.

The design here feels kind of amateurish which is not to say bad. It's OK, but not anywhere near as good as it could have been.

But for me the game did compensate for rough edges in its design and presentation with how fluid and enjoyable the basic gameplay is. By the end though it left me wishing this kind of Strider design had been executed by a better developer. I actually think Chair did a better job with Shadow Complex as a metroid class game.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I just played for a long stretch, til I
destroyed the first gravitron
. I'm enjoying this a lot, it's so fast paced. I now got the dash ability, which is pretty badass, especially in combination with other powers. I'm surprised at how quickly they're giving all the health upgrades. I figure I'm not that far in and I've already got 8/10. The bosses have been simple so far, but I guess it's a different story on hard.

Important question: can you return to the world when you beat the game? Or is it better to get 100% before the final boss?

KooopaKid

Banned
I just played for a long stretch, til I
destroyed the first gravitron
. I'm enjoying this a lot, it's so fast paced. I now got the dash ability, which is pretty badass, especially in combination with other powers. I'm surprised at how quickly they're giving all the health upgrades. I figure I'm not that far in and I've already got 8/10. The bosses have been simple so far, but I guess it's a different story on hard.

Important question: can you return to the world when you beat the game? Or is it better to get 100% before the final boss?

There's a point of no-return just before entering the main tower.

I just finished the game at 75% in 6h30. lol @ the last boss final form. So cheap to defeat.

malfcn

Gone back to the game. Restarted it since I was only 30 minutes in. Playing on hard and getting stuck in a few spots. But fun..

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
There's a point of no-return just before entering the main tower.

I just finished the game at 75% in 6h30. lol @ the last boss final form. So cheap to defeat.

Ok I'll try to get as much stuff before doing the boss.

I played it as an action platformer rather than a pure metroid vania, and enjoyed it all the more.

Yeah because of the fast action I'm constantly itching to move forward, but I do take time to check out the other directions if I see item locations. Yep, they do spoon-feed you everything, but I don't mind that much in this game. It's a different feel from Metroid, where I take time to explore and want to find everything myself.

Edit: finished it. It was a nice rush playing through it, but I have no desire to go back to it. Took me 5 hours.

malfcn

The map is hard as hell with the planes when you are hunting down an upgrade. Sometimes the are over laid, but I cant find the path to the one behind it. A few have markers, but most I just run around and hope they connect.

TK Turk

Banned
The difficulty achievements don't stack? What the hell, it is 2014.

Hahaha. I thought the same exact thing when I beat the game on hard for my first play though. Specifically played on Hard so I could get the hard and medium achievement, no such luck. So I did my second play through as a speed run on medium so I could get the medium achievement and the speed run achievement.

malfcn

Hahaha. I thought the same exact thing when I beat the game on hard for my first play though. Specifically played on Hard so I could get the hard and medium achievement, no such luck. So I did my second play through as a speed run on medium so I could get the medium achievement and the speed run achievement.

I may try that. But I may move on to another game. Finished hard just under 9 hours with like 96% complete. I wasted a lot of time, and liked exploring.
And I never figured out how to customize Hiryu.

TK Turk

Banned
I may try that. But I may move on to another game. Finished hard just under 9 hours with like 96% complete. I wasted a lot of time, and liked exploring.
And I never figured out how to customize Hiryu.

Go to the map screen, and then hit the bumpers. From one of those screens you can change his costume.

You can speed run on medium in about 3 hours. Can easily be done in one sitting.

Top Bottom