• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strider |OT| It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got Dat Schwing)

Eusis

Yeah it looks like the devs wanted parity as much as they can, although the PC version should be the exception.
On the flip side this seems to be parity via low end assets and there's only so much that can be done there with more hardware, it's why PS1 games are probably the last ones (for the most part) anyone should want to see in HD among 3D games because they typically don't scale all that well while about anything from Dreamcast onward is pretty good there and even the N64 has some titles that fare better than most console games from that period. It's usually frustrating when we have forced parity in cases like Demon's Souls or Deadly Premonition where the resolution and FPS can be so much higher, but while there may be good technical reasons for the latter they also don't make any effort in dealing with the former despite how quickly it can be resolved.

Tizoc

Just beat the final boss using the Fire Cypher and Fire Kunais. Still a lame ass boss but non the less, overall I've enjoyed the game.
GotY contender for me.
A shame about the lack of a New Game+ though.

I don't get the complaints about the visuals in this game. 2D sidescrollers aren't about ultra-realistic, crazy poly, super high rez stuff, they're about the mechanics of the game, fluidity, and gameplay. Strider is Aces in the categories that matter (the latter ones) and is plenty serviceable in the graphics department even if it isn't a visual showpiece. I absolutely loved the game. I rarely, almost never, go back to a game after completing all the achievements but I'll be going back to this one for sure.

I don't get the complaints about the visuals in this game. 2D sidescrollers aren't about ultra-realistic, crazy poly, super high rez stuff, they're about the mechanics of the game, fluidity, and gameplay. Strider is Aces in the categories that matter (the latter ones) and is plenty serviceable in the graphics department even if it isn't a visual showpiece. I absolutely loved the game. I rarely, almost never, go back to a game after completing all the achievements but I'll be going back to this one for sure.
The visuals are cool and it's mostly the art style, but just sharing how disappointing it's on the PC. Should be leaps ahead of the consoles but it's not.

Lima

The particle effects are really cool. Still hate that extreme contrast though. Sometimes it is really hard to see shit.

In America or Europe it'd be surprising.

For Japan... frankly, not really, especially from Capcom. They did a really good Dungeons & Dragons one for the arcade game's re-release. It's still nice to see, and I didn't specifically anticipate it happening, but given their prior track record it's more "dammit, I wanted Strider 1 & 2!"

Ah yeah, true. Though I'm pretty surprised they put out a D&D LE to begin with, too.

Lima

Unless you quit. I think the last save point is before the tower stage. Only checkpoints after entering.

This is true. The game asks you after completing if you want to save your game. If you choose no here you will start before the tower again and can go back to complete stuff.

I'm playing on normal and I've only reached the first boss and already I'm finding the game challenging, is normal going to be too hard for me?

codhand

I'm playing on normal and I've only reached the first boss and already I'm finding the game challenging, is normal going to be too hard for me?

most i died on a boss on Normal, was about three/four times, excluding the final boss where i died over and over for an hour and a half :(

i consider my ability to above average but not a leaderboard type gamer.

Shank 2 was harder, so was Dishwasher Samurai, Hard Corps etc. really just the last boss in Strider that destroyed me

RM8

I just checked on Can You Run It and I won't be able to play this on my PC :( I wanted this on PC... Oh well, maybe I'll just buy the physical version for PS3. I can't believe this game is more demanding than plenty of games I own on Steam.

Zalman

Yes. The Japanese copy has dual language options though. It's 100% playable in English and the voices are all in English regardless of text choice.
Well, that solves my problem then! Good stuff! I'll wait a bit first and see if they announce one for the west. If not, I'll probably end up importing it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I only played on hard, but I found the first hour to be the toughest overall. As long as you are thorough in finding upgrades, especially health, the game should actually get easier as you progress. There will still be challenging spots, but you'll also become a better player as you go.

Silky

Banned
wow wow wow WOW HIRYU HAS
A FUCKING STAR GLADIATOR
ALTERNATE COSTUME

OMG I JUST FUCKING SCREAMED AAAAAAAAAA

Ghazi

I haven't quite finished the game yet. I'm about 80% through with it, but it performs pretty well on PS3.
There were one or two areas where I experienced some minor slowdown. (A combination of lots of enemies and projectiles on screen. )... That was literally only once or twice out of the whole game though...

I'm not sure how the 360 version compares to the PS3 one.

Sounds good enough, my biggest worry was the slowdown and it doesn't sound bad at all the way you mention it, I may get it for the PS3 then since I prefer the controller.

jaosobno

How hard is it to platinum this game? I'm thinking of getting it on PS4 today, mostly because platinum seams reasonably difficult.

Compare it to Resogun for me (difficulty wise).

Tizoc

How hard is it to platinum this game? I'm thinking of getting it on PS4 today, mostly because platinum seams reasonably difficult.

Compare it to Resogun for me (difficulty wise).

There is, at worst 1 missable trophy: The green big canisters must all be destoryed to get a trophy for them.
You must find all upgrades and Strider icons/outfits, which can be done ina single playthrough before fighting the final boss.

There's also a speedrun playthrough trophy too.
As such I recommend 2, at worst 3 playthroughs:
1 Playthrough on Hard to get all the missable trophies.
Another playthrough for the speedrun.

This is my Blood Dragon for 2014. If Dark Souls II and MGS-anything weren't this year, I'd already be proclaiming it my GOTY. Will likely stay top 5.

I just checked on Can You Run It and I won't be able to play this on my PC :( I wanted this on PC... Oh well, maybe I'll just buy the physical version for PS3. I can't believe this game is more demanding than plenty of games I own on Steam.

You might want to risk it... I definitely don't meet the specs, but I could run it and keep it moving fast if I ran it at 640x480... of course, that's not a pretty sight, and I probably should have waited til I got a PS4 so you might want to wait anyway. Me enjoying the game so much despite that says a lot about the game imo.

nillapuddin

Ive asked this once before, but Im gunna do it again

I didnt see it discussed, what is the unlock condition for this?
5Jod5A8.jpg

anyone?

daedalius

Last boss was pretty easy (on hard difficulty) I don't get some of the complaints I've heard. Phase 2 took 3 tries, I would have preferred it to be more difficult.

Oh well, absolutely awesome game for $15, buy it. I think I want to play through super metroid now.

On the PS4 the game locks up on me every time I select "resume game" from the main menu when I launch the game

This happen to anyone else?

Gusto

Well, that solves my problem then! Good stuff! I'll wait a bit first and see if they announce one for the west. If not, I'll probably end up importing it.

I just got mine in from playasia, I really wanted it physical and it came with Strider 1 & 2

Does anyone know where the Pow locations are in Kazkah City (97%), Processing (93%) and Underground (92%) are? I am so close to 100% this game and would like to get all the items before I I reach Meio's tower.

I have all the weapon/health/energy upgrades. Just the pow locations.

ShapeGSX

I'm having an issue with this game. Are the green health canisters supposed to respawn after you quit and then restart the game later?

They are not respawning for me. But the enemies are respawning! In fact, enemies respawn almost immediately if you go back to an area.

I'm at the subway level, trying to get past the robot. I can beat him fine, but my health is really low after. Then the next few enemies kill me since there are no health canisters. I've done this like 10 times. Wtf!

Tizoc

I just wanna say that
Jurong
needs to be in a Capcom vs. game, we need more
water 'bending' fg characters

I'm having an issue with this game. Are the green health canisters supposed to respawn after you quit and then restart the game later?

They are not respawning for me. But the enemies are respawning! In fact, enemies respawn almost immediately if you go back to an area.

I'm at the subway level, trying to get past the robot. I can beat him fine, but my health is really low after. Then the next few enemies kill me since there are no health canisters. I've done this like 10 times. Wtf!

Not the ones that you can see in the mini map.

ShapeGSX

Not the ones that you can see in the mini map.

That's a horrible design decision. If you couldn't make it through the first time with the available health canisters, how are you supposed to do it a second time without them?!

The little ones were all over the place on the first play through, and now they are all gone.

Is the "obtain all kunai upgrades" trophy/achievement bugged? I just got the last one in the research facility and I've collected all upgrades and that one does not seem to unlock. I even reloaded my last save to try again a few times and nothing.

Oh and map design is horrible for revisiting old areas to collect pickups. Should've allowed fast travel to any eagle/tiger location before the final area.

EDIT: My bad, Didn't realize I was missing the Ultra Cold Kunai. Didn't know that counted and figured it was a story pick up.

PA ended up coming through in the long run, they just shipped it out a day after the estimated shipping date since they got their stock later than they estimated.

Speaking of which, This was waiting for me when I got home:

AWW YEAH MOTHERFUCKER

Edit: Huh. You essentially have to install the whole game from the disc. Kind of a bummer, considering I don't have much space left (I have a 40GB Hard Drive in my PS3) but whatever, a physical copy is still a physical copy.

Wait…

It's the PSX versions of Strider 1 and 2 right? So anyone get them to work with Vita?

Top Bottom