• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strider |OT| It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got Dat Schwing)

Absolutely loving this game on PS4. The incredibly silky-smooth locked 60fps gameplay on my motion-blurless VT65 plasma is just mind-blowing.

I mean, the game is not perfect, but it hits all the right spots for me and the worlds are simply massive for a 2D platformer. Double Helix have become a very special developer indeed, I do wonder what Amazon has lined up for them.

Remember playing Strider as a kid and this looks slick, but now since I see it referanced as being a "metriodvania " type game I want to play it even more. Is there a big difference in the PS3/PS4 versions?

bidguy

Banned
Remember playing Strider as a kid and this looks slick, but now since I see it referanced as being a "metriodvania " type game I want to play it even more. Is there a big difference in the PS3/PS4 versions?

ps3 -720p30fps
ps4 - 1080p60fps with texture filtering issues

Anyone have some tips on the Ascent at the end of the game on hard? I'm getting my ass handed to me as soon as the two walkers show up.:(

nillapuddin

Anyone have some tips on the Ascent at the end of the game on hard? I'm getting my ass handed to me as soon as the two walkers show up.:(

Explosive Cypher
Activate Option-A (constantly!)
spam (Attack) and (Kunai) which will get you into berserk mode almost instantly and do an absurd amount of damage

I never realized how much potential damage there was with the Options, but I was watching a buddy play and it really opened my eyes

We have this huge Energy bar, and it regens really quickly, but I never got close to bottoming it out, now that Ive seen how far you can push it, Ive been tearing through bosses and tough patches like butter

edit: in retrospect, I should just use my awesome next gen console to record a clip and show you (but im not that cool)
edit2: i am cool, heres a clip, its not the enemies as you said, but it demonstrates my tactic. I know those walkers are a bitch with the freezing pods

On the PS4 the game locks up on me every time I select "resume game" from the main menu when I launch the game

This happen to anyone else?

This is seriously annoying. Sometimes it can take up to five minutes for the game to actually start after choosing 'resume game', other times it never starts and just sits there.

At this point, I'd rather uninstall it and get a refund. Fifteen bucks for something that hardly works.

xray49er

Finished this game last night on the ps4. i had a blast i would of went back to get everything but with no fast travel back i just said screw it. i beat the game in little under 7 hours with 66 percent complete Very fun game

onionfrog

Double dipped on the PC version.
I'm thinking I should forget about 100% item collection and finish the game on my ps3 version already. I'm perplexed as to where some of these items are.

Then I can replay it on PC!

Explosive Cypher
Activate Option-A (constantly!)
spam (Attack) and (Kunai) which will get you into berserk mode almost instantly and do an absurd amount of damage

I never realized how much potential damage there was with the Options, but I was watching a buddy play and it really opened my eyes

We have this huge Energy bar, and it regens really quickly, but I never got close to bottoming it out, now that Ive seen how far you can push it, Ive been tearing through bosses and tough patches like butter

edit: in retrospect, I should just use my awesome next gen console to record a clip and show you (but im not that cool)
edit2: i am cool, heres a clip, its not the enemies as you said, but it demonstrates my tactic. I know those walkers are a bitch with the freezing pods
Awesome! Major help. I'll look into putting that to work tonight so I can finally finish the game off.

Thanks!

Finished this game last night on the ps4. i had a blast i would of went back to get everything but with no fast travel back i just said screw it. i beat the game in little under 7 hours with 66 percent complete Very fun game
Having no functional fast travel to the areas is a bummer, yeah. I went back and found all of the Striders to unlock the alternate outfits and got all of the important upgrades (all Kunias, health, energy, etc.) but I can't be bothered to run around trying to find the rest. Just want to finish it.

Great game otherwise! Playing on the PS4 here with no issues.

iYLlnmAH5eQ48.jpg

Hard mode done. *feels good*

MazeHaze

Banned
Man, Mecha Pon sucks. He kills me in three hits so I can't learn all his patterns, and every time you die it starts you before all of those stupid lasers. Very annoying and not fun. Was loving the game up until this point.

Edit: How do you dodge his jump attack with the blue electricity when he stretches his arms out? I've tried this fight 15 times now and it ends very quickly each time, I get maybe one or two dodges in and it hits me every other time.

nillapuddin

Awesome! Major help. I'll look into putting that to work tonight so I can finally finish the game off.

Thanks!

iYLlnmAH5eQ48.jpg

Hard mode done. *feels good*
(I helped someone)
woo!

For anyone else looking for that All Collectibles grind (which is retarded, yes)
This video helped me out a ton, just mostly to keep track of things
Its in chronological order so that helps also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ck0b168ZI8

Im gunna hold on to my game save for a few more days, I really wish we could get a patch to keep costumes unlocked :(

All Black everything with the vibrant plasma scarf looks so badass

I got to the final bass and then quit so I could eat dinner...and when I started the game up again, I wasn't at the final boss...I HAD TO PLAY THE ENTIRE TOWER ASCENSION AGAIN FROM THE START! Are you kidding me? I mean, are YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!? I have to play the entire fucking tower ascension again, FROM THE START? Is this a fucking joke? Please tell me this is a goddamn FUCKING JOKE! The entire tower ascension! AGAIN! I don't even...I am NOT playing again from the start of the tower. Oh my fucking Christ. ARE YOU GODDAMN KIDDING ME. FUCK!!!!!!

I got to the final bass and then quit so I could eat dinner...and when I started the game up again, I wasn't at the final boss...I HAD TO PLAY THE ENTIRE TOWER ASCENSION AGAIN FROM THE START! Are you kidding me? I mean, are YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!? I have to play the entire fucking tower ascension again, FROM THE START? Is this a fucking joke? Please tell me this is a goddamn FUCKING JOKE! The entire tower ascension! AGAIN! I don't even...I am NOT playing again from the start of the tower. Oh my fucking Christ. Fuck off developers. Fuck yourselves. ARE YOU GODDAMN KIDDING ME. FUCK!!!!!!

I did the EXACT same thing.... But I just paused it instead

Sorry man :/

The
Tower ascension
has really made me start to hate the game all of a sudden, the two spider robots with ice capsules stunlock me until the black bots come in and blow me up using the homing missiles, on top of that I'm pretty sure I almost got RSI from trying to furiously kill them.

I'm not sure if I even want to finish the game now.

Tizoc

Double dipped on the PC version.
I'm thinking I should forget about 100% item collection and finish the game on my ps3 version already. I'm perplexed as to where some of these items are.

Then I can replay it on PC!

It's not that hard, just explore around. Upgrades like kunai and health appear as an upward arrow on the map.

I managed to get most of the health upgrade sby the time I reached the final area XP

ShapeGSX

Hang off the sides during his attacks :)

That part was obvious. That would be easier if I could see Strider while jumping off the edge of the platform. There are these girders in the foreground that get in the way. And occasionally the camera doesn't keep up with Strider and I can't see him when I jump.

Or if I could just hit down and to the right/left near a ledge and hang off the edge.

vg260

Does the DS4 lightbar change color when you change plasma type? That seems like an obvious nifty little feature, but I assume they didn't consider that.

lordxar

Made it to the last area but quit. Very cool game. Playing on easy cuz I suck at these kinds of games. Junoung was tough, took me about a dozen tries but victory felt really good. Finally figued out the d pad options too. What a difference that makes!

Finished it, god there needs to be more games like this. I liked it more than Guacamelee and Outland! but that's mostly due to the complex platforming in the other 2. For $15, that was money well spent

vg260

Finished it, god there needs to be more games like this. I liked it more than Guacamelee and Outland! but that's mostly due to the complex platforming in the other 2. For $15, that was money well spent

I enjoyed all three of those, but this one left me disappointed once finished. Boss mode should be a default for this genre. I often never return because i don't want to do all the exploring all over again, and I wan to play the bosses multiple times and while powered up.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I'm annoyed that this doesn't work on my Mac Book Pro due to DX11. Oh well.

Just beat the game with 66.7% completion. Found it weird that Meio's first form was tougher to beat than his final form, which was relatively easy.

Overall, I enjoyed my time playing Strider. Combat was fast and fun and the metroidvania elements, although not particularly deep, were implemented well and complimented the action nicely. Too bad they didn't put in any fast travel to make returning to different areas less of a pain, else I would've actually tried collecting the rest of the upgrades before entering the tower.

fosholv

Just completed the game last week. It was a fun ride but I feel like the game has so much potential to be even better. It needs more complex puzzle and platforming, more usage for the Options beside dealing damage, and more enemy variety. The boss fights were really the highlight of my time with the game.
Solo
and
Jurong
were my two favorites due to how much fun and challenging it was to fight them.

I have a YouTube playlist going through the boss fights if anyone is interested:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrNNxb6-Mbjpc8_eI0A1ndFLf7NoBmjWi

I hope one day Capcom decides to make a 3d Strider game similar to Shinobi on the PS2.

onionfrog

It's not that hard, just explore around. Upgrades like kunai and health appear as an upward arrow on the map.

I managed to get most of the health upgrade sby the time I reached the final area XP
I didn't really have a problem with useful upgrades. I think all I was missing was collectibles. I ended up finishing the game with a 91% completion rate, which is fine for now.

As far as costumes, I thought it was really stupid you can't really get to any till much later in the game, what's the point of have so many costumes if you are basically stuck with the original for 90% of the game?

Other then that, loved it

Wonko_C

I wanted to play the PC version but I don't have a DX11 GPU and I'm not upgrading anytime soon nor buying a PS4, so in the end I finally took a gamble and bought it for my undead Xbox 360 which likes to RROD in the middle of my gaming sessions (sometimes in the first minutes, sometimes whithin the first hour).

Somehow, my console managed to stay alive for a full playthrough. Finished in 4:20 hours, and while I enjoyed it, it really needs 60fps, some parts just get too hectic and at 30fps (with some dips) it gets hard to follow it all. The trick they're using to keep the foreground black and the backgrounds colored is pretty neat but gets tiresome after a while and on some parts it's too hard to see. Hopefully someone mods the PC version to remove it and see it it looks better.

Fantasmo

100% <10 hours.
Next up < 4 hours, or hard.

Going to be easy to get all achievements. Last boss probably going to be tough on hard though.

I'm sad that Double Helix got bought out. A sequel needs more content and variation, but they totally nailed the feel. And because of this game I finally played through most of Guacamelee.

There really really needs to be more Steam Metroidvania games.

Just downloaded this...digging it so far, I am like the exact person they made this for. I do wish it didn't show its cross gen roots quite as much though; I often feel like I'm looking at a sparkly PS3 game. The original Strider was one of the most visually spectacular games anybody had ever seen at the time...though I guess the sequel not so much.

Top Bottom