• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strike Suit Zero: Director's Cut |OT| - PC, PS4, XBO

Gowans

gbqOdPi.png

What's in the Directors Cut:
The Director's Cut features a restructured campaign -- particularly relating to the first few missions, allowing the player to get in the cockpit of the Strike Suit much earlier - with an adapted story and all new dialogue. We've also given the game a complete graphical overhaul, including upscaled ships and updated textures and lighting. We've also included the Heroes of the Fleet mission pack, and both the Marauder and Raptor Strike Suits. We've taken a year's worth of comments and suggestions on board, too, directly addressing the points of our community and critics.

The Better Standard Version OT: Strike Suit Zero |OT| Wing Commander x Macross (PC)

Is There Multiplayer? No

Developer: Born Ready
- Twitter: @StrikeSuitZero
- Facebook: facebook.com/StrikeSuitZero
- YouTube: youtube.com/user/BornReadyVideos

Platforms: PC, PS4, Xbox One

Release Data:
PC - 8th April
PS4 - 8th April US, 9th April EU
XBO - 8th April

Price:
PC - $19.99, £14.99 [85% Discount for Strike Suit Zero Owners]
PS4 - $19.99, €17.99, £15.39 [20% off with PS+ $15.99]
XBO - $19.99, €19.99, £15.99

Screens:
VpW2KPw.jpg

DMyuxe4.png

AGmUx1j.png

eqVjrrO.png

Video:
Strike Suit Zero: Director's Cut Trailer
Strike Suit Zero: Director's Cut - Developer Diary

Gowans

I'm double dipping on console, even though my PC is connected to the TV, I've been using a controller to play it and it has no multiplayer I'm just really looking forward to seeing what they've done and love love love good space shooters.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Bought the game about a year ago, never actually played the thing. I'll probably play it once this comes out on GOG.

Techies

Wonder what the price for PC Upgrade is gonna be. Hope they fixed that last level and default gamepad controls. Only enjoyed it after I set up the controls via the ini and lowered the difficulty. Became too much a time critical spam everything to death game later on.

T.O.P

Banned
Tempted to pick this up

Will wait for reviews though and to see if there's any difference between X1 and PS4

Gowans

Wonder what the price for PC Upgrade is gonna be. Hope they fixed that last level and default gamepad controls.

Yeah the UI and default gamepad controls weren't great, accelerate and break on the left trigger/bumper had me confused for ages.

Haunted

Wonder what the price for PC Upgrade is gonna be. Hope they fixed that last level and default gamepad controls. Only enjoyed it after I set up the controls via the ini and lowered the difficulty. Became too much a time critical spam everything to death game later on.
Completely agreed.

I never could really get into it, even though I really wanted to like it. Maybe this will be its second chance if they price it right for existing owners.

Hows the gameplay in everyone's opinion? Is it enjoyable? Would others be entertained by watching someone else playing?

Do you have access to Smartglass? Search for the game and you'll find some community vids are already up.

It looks fun to me, but as I've said a number of times, it's somewhat overpriced at £15.99. I'll probably end up buying it but will try to hold out for a price drop.

Fireblend

Banned
I own Strike Suit Infinity, and as ridiculously hard as it is, it's lots of fun and the closest thing to a ZoE you can get IMO. The visuals are incredible too. I love it, so I might have to get this.

salromano

Dealspwn gave it an 8 out of 10 - http://www.dealspwn.com/strike-suit-directors-cut-review-170550

Pros:

• Fun, hectic and replayable arcade space dogfighting
  • Infinitely improved mech controls and rebalanced campaign make the Strike Suit relevant and potent
  • Numerous considerate tweaks and edits - from gameplay to storyline
  • Ravishing overhauled visuals and art style reboot
  • Paul Ruskay's soundtrack is still a thing of haunting beauty
Cons:

• Atrocious final mission, lumpy pacing and niggly holdover flaws
  • Controls can't be manually rebound
  • Frame rate chugs during capital ship explosions (i.e. frequently)

I own this on Humble Bundle, but I haven't played it yet. It sucks that PC users won't get a free upgrade. The upgrade price better be cheap (no more than $5).

Probably everywhere it is released. I don't think there has been a new release with a PS+ discount limited to only one region

Yeah, you're right, but I figured I'd check as it's SCEE.

Looks like I'll be buying it on PS4 then. Sucks for MS, they really need to have a similar discount set up in place.

aro52

Based on the trailer and PS+ price, I think I'm jumping into this one (semi) blind. I need something to play. Mercenary Kings ends up more frustrating than fun, most the time.

Best Official Thread FAQ ever:

Is There Multiplayer? No
Not sure if want. The concept is golden (and I do loves me some in-cockpit space shooters) but am still completely unsold on the execution.

Maligna

Banned
I'm really hoping this will satiate my desire for a Macross game. Do you think I will come away disappointed?

You were considering buying a multiplat on Xbox despite having a PS4?
Well hey, maybe the PS4 will mysteriously lack anisotropic filtering, or, or maybe the bone's trigger's vibrate or the Kinect will transform you into mech form if you hold your arms out and scream. You never know.

The Flash

Banned
the reviews haven't been kind to this game but it does look cool. i'm hoping it will fill the void that Rogue Squadron left.

coldfoot

Banned
Read the review and it sounds like the game would have been much better if it threw out the transform into robot part and just let you dogfight in your spaceship like Wing Commander, so I'll pass.

Tokubetsu

I put 70 in the pot to kickstart this and I've bought every dlc or add on or side game they've dropped since. I better get a little discount when it finally hits PC.

Well hey, maybe the PS4 will mysteriously lack anisotropic filtering, or, or maybe the bone's trigger's vibrate or the Kinect will transform you into mech form if you hold your arms out and scream. You never know.

Impulse triggers are no joke. It's just a shame more developers aren't using them to their fullest potential.

Definitely a selling point for me. Is anybody putting them to use besides Turn 10?

DR3 and Ryse use them, but not to any great degree. They are mostly going to waste and it's a damn shame. MS need to push developers to use them as much as Sony has developers use the DS4 touchpad.

xemumanic

I'm kinda upset the PC doesn't get this as a free upgrade. This isn't much worth paying for what we get.

Sure, it can't possibly be very costly, but that's besides the point IMO.

Edit: I see it comes included with a DLC that's not in the standard game. I bet if I owned said DLC, I still wouldn't get this upgrade free.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Xbox One version appears to be up, The page on system now has the listed price, rather than "Unavailable" like it did earlier today, and it shows up as a new release.

Even though that VideoGamerTV video was playing somewhat dryly, I still found the game itself to look pretty solid, the plasma shot of the ship to be satisfying, explosions and background to look really nice, and overall satisfying looking Macross-ish combat (using the Transformation to unload death onto everything), Plane mode for chases and such, etc). So I guess it'd time to dive in!

Shocked at how many people don't seem to like this game. I played the original on PC (admittedly with a joystick, aka the only way to play) and I thought it was great, crushing difficulty in some missions aside. Not sure if the last mission deserves that much hate--I think once you know what to do and take the right layout along it's fine, but it's been a year since I played it.

Wonder what they did to the campaign, though. Sounds like there were some serious modifications if it gets you into a strike suit faster.

Top Bottom