• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Thanks for the info guys. I picked up a TT at a price I couldn't pass up(free!), and I was wondering if it's of good quality.

I can't read the model #, but it looks like an entry level direct drive table. Be sure to buy a new cartridge, who knows the condition of the stylus on there.

Bah, was cleaning it up and checking it out...it's broken. I took it apart to clean a little inside and discovered a piece was broken that caused another piece to rise. That piece was for the tonearm to slide across. So, the tonearm lifts and drops immediately and tries to slide across the TT. I'm just gonna junk it.

Either of these sound like a good deal?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DENON-DP-7F...ctronics_R2&hash=item2c64cd2992#ht_500wt_1287
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TECHNICS-SL...ultDomain_0&hash=item4d00775b02#ht_500wt_1287

Bah, was cleaning it up and checking it out...it's broken. I took it apart to clean a little inside and discovered a piece was broken that caused another piece to rise. That piece was for the tonearm to slide across. So, the tonearm lifts and drops immediately and tries to slide across the TT. I'm just gonna junk it.

Either of these sound like a good deal?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DENON-DP-7F...ctronics_R2&hash=item2c64cd2992#ht_500wt_1287
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TECHNICS-SL...ultDomain_0&hash=item4d00775b02#ht_500wt_1287

I would most likely buy that Technics one for the price it's selling now.

Well, got the Technics TT at 57 bucks shipped. Shipping was half the damn cost. I hope it's worth that much...

Next up is finding a decent amplifier.

Sobriquet

Neat although modern dj software does this for you now apart from bpm you also get the key for your tracks so you don't end up all over the place.

Well... this is on vinyl. The technology to separate the colors per track on those is pretty amazing.

And no DJ software that I'm aware of detects key. There are some programs that detect key and allow those results to be exported to DJ software, but they have roughly 30% accuracy. Ears are much more accurate. FWIW, software BPM detection is fairly unreliable as well. Both BPM and key detection are unnecessary for DJing.

-Mikey-

Just bought a Technics 1700.

What should I look for in a preamp? They seem to be pretty cheap so will anything do?

EDIT: Bit of an update. I received the turntable yesterday. Long story short, the rear shaft of the tonearm snapped off.

rearshaft.jpg

rearshaft1.jpg

I've thought about using superglue but I'm not sure if that will be the best solution. Maybe it will be strong enough to hold the counterweight? Another idea was to use JB Weld epoxy.

Any suggestions?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Sheesh, I saw A LOT of stuff out there today that I wanted, but didn't have the money for more than a few.

IMG_0477.jpg

Patty Smyth & Scandal - Warrior
Eno/Byrne - My Life in the Bush of Ghosts
Prince - Sign o' the Times
Joni Mitchell - Blue

Still hunting for a decent turntable at the right price, but I'll really be scrambling for one right before this comes out:

http://pitchfork.com/features/interviews/8809-kevin-shields/

The crown jewel of the reissue series is a 2CD version of MBV's all-time classic Loveless that features a remaster of the original disc as well as another based on previously discarded analog tapes. (Shields says vinyl versions of the remasters are due "probably in a few months.") And the overall project just might act as a precursor to the two-decades-in-the-making follow up to Loveless.

whitehawk

Banned
So what's the consensus for the best record player for a decent price?

I just bought this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004G08OO4/?tag=neogaf0e-20 for $110.

Already regretting it. It can directly rip MP3s to a USB stick which is really cool. At least it sounds cool. I just tested it out and...

1. It rips at 128 kbps (seriously? The fuck is this. I can hear the compression artifacts clear as day.)
2. The sound quality is poor, tinny and low in bass. I compared it to some recordings that I found of this album from another person who ripped it from their vinyl. (Billy Preston - Music is my Life, was never re-printed on CD) and their recordings are SO MUCH BETTER.

Returning this junk very soon. Now I'm worried about it having a bad needle and damaging my albums (I've only tested it on a few albums that I didn't care about/weren't in pristine condition.)

GAF! What should I buy?!

GAF! What should I buy?!

Most will say Project Debut III or Rega RP1, I'd also recommend checking local pawn shops for older high end hifi turntables (Technics, Dual, Marantz etc.) where you can get great bang for your buck if you know what you are looking for. Good rule of thumb is that if it's heavy, it could be good.

whitehawk

Banned
Most will say Project Debut III or Rega RP1, I'd also recommend checking local pawn shops for older high end hifi turntables (Technics, Dual, Marantz etc.) where you can get great bang for your buck if you know what you are looking for. Good rule of thumb is that if it's heavy, it could be good.
If I went to a pawn shop and found a older player, would it be wise to get a new needle?

nitewulf

Sheesh, I saw A LOT of stuff out there today that I wanted, but didn't have the money for more than a few.

IMG_0477.jpg

Joni Mitchell - Blue

oh man...i want that Scandal vinyl...

andylsun

Just bought a Technics 1700.

What should I look for in a preamp? They seem to be pretty cheap so will anything do?

EDIT: Bit of an update. I received the turntable yesterday. Long story short, the rear shaft of the tonearm snapped off.

rearshaft.jpg

I've thought about using superglue but I'm not sure if that will be the best solution. Maybe it will be strong enough to hold the counterweight? Another idea was to use JB Weld epoxy.

Any suggestions?

I'm terribly late, but try 5 minute epoxy designed for plastics. Give it 24 hours to dry and you should be good. The other option would be to see if you can link the broken piece back together with a nail or wood dowel coated in epoxy - if the center is hollow.

once you get it up and running you'll need to adjust the suspension. 7mm long reach socket and make sure there's even bounce on all 4 springs.

I've got a SL 1700 and a SL 1200 Mk II, and there's not a great amount of difference performance wise - less than you would expect.

IMG_0477.jpg

Joni Mitchell - Blue

I want that Scandal record as well. A shop nearby has a few of them.

BeeDog

My latest vinyl purchases /happy:

ky8CG.jpg

The black one is Burial + Four Tet - Nova. Digging 'Nasty' the most, the SCNTST Remix is to die for.

Prez

Can someone recommend me a record player that can be perfectly pitched? Mine is always very slightly off in pitch, nothing you can hear (it's actually normal for most record players), but it becomes noticable as soon as I start to play piano with a record.

QoeJF.jpg

Picked these up yesterday at a local place. There were a few other Bond records but they were in worse shape. Not sure if the Lawrence soundtrack is an original, not that it matters since they were all pretty cheap.

Oh god I haven't posted in so damn long... Hey, everybody. I wonder if anyone remembers me? Haha. I've only gotten a few records since I last posted.
rnCVR.png

Sorry about the crappy quality.
Broken Social Scene - Self Titled
Alex Turner - Submarine Soundtrack
James Blake - Self Titled
St. Vincent - Strange Mercy (White vinyl!)

James Blake is seriously my favorite album on vinyl. It just sounds so amazing.

I have so many albums I need to buy. :(

Just picked up the Ziggy Stardust repress. It sounds splendid and looks great too. The paper quality of the sleave is very similar to the original.

Wolfe

What do you guys do to clean up old records? What do you do to clean new records?

Record cleaning brush with some solution if necessary, and although I haven't tried it yet myself I hear the wood glue trick works wonders on old stuff that's seen better days.

Prez

What do you guys do to clean up old records? What do you do to clean new records?

I've tried brushes and wet washing but the only thing that made a real difference is the anti-stat:

Pkfeg.jpg

Brushes have never made an audible difference in my experience.

Prez

ehhhh

I heard that machine will damage records slightly.

That's entirely false. The brushes inside (goat hair brushes) are entirely safe and won't do any damage.

Whatever you've read must have been about the liquid that comes with the machine. It leaves behind some residue but that can easily be removed by cleaning it a second time in the machine with (distilled) water.

The clamp to protect the label isn't entirely watertight though. The outer edge of the label gets a little wet, but it dries and doesn't damage the label.

Other than that, this thing got me amazing results on some records I thought were damaged. I tried cleaning the same record with record brushes, a mix of alcohol and distilled water + a microfiber cloth,... All recommended methods that are safe, but it didn't make a difference on some records. The brushes of the Knosti reach deeper in the grooves with great results.

Mitsurux

What's the oldest record you have? Mine is a 1963 pressing of Frank Sinatra & Count Basie (Sinatra-Basie). Second oldest is a 1965 pressing of Nina Simone - I Put A Spell On You. They sound absolutely stunning.

I've inherited a bunch of 78's from my grandpa, that are from the late 40's early 50's perhaps...

I'm looking to buy a new record player (no belt drive) that can handle them as as well as 45's and 33's... what are some good decent models/ prices options.... (i'm a total beginner)

Danielsan

Oh god I haven't posted in so damn long... Hey, everybody. I wonder if anyone remembers me? Haha. I've only gotten a few records since I last posted.
rnCVR.png

Sorry about the crappy quality.
Broken Social Scene - Self Titled
Alex Turner - Submarine Soundtrack
James Blake - Self Titled
St. Vincent - Strange Mercy (White vinyl!)

James Blake is seriously my favorite album on vinyl. It just sounds so amazing.

I have so many albums I need to buy. :(
Excellent pick ups, as per usual. James Blake definitely is the best sounding vinyl release I own/have ever heard.

Haven't picked up any new Vinyl myself. Still waiting for the vinyl release of Chromatics - Kill For Love.

Excellent pick ups, as per usual. James Blake definitely is the best sounding vinyl release I own/have ever heard.

Haven't picked up any new Vinyl myself. Still waiting for the vinyl release of Chromatics - Kill For Love.
Thanks man. I agree! Love the two bonus tracks on the vinyl.

Oh wow we really do have the same taste haha. I love Kill for Love. As far as new releases go, I really need to get the new Sigur Ros album and the new Tallest Man on Earth.

BeeDog

Just picked this up *swoon*:

oa0aw.jpg

It's the best album in years; 32 awesome tracks spread over 4 white vinyls plus a download code to download all the vinyl tracks + 14 additional bonus tracks. SQUEEEEE

Aegus

So my crappy 50 year old record player crapped out like a year and a half ago and I'm finally going to be looking into getting some proper audio equipment.

The AV receiver I'm looking at has a phono in connection, but is marked as MM. Is my understanding correct that if I were to get a turntable with an MC I'd also need a pre amp?

Looking at the Denon 3312 and a Project Debut.

I want to get into vinyl since I've been kinda drifting away from music lately and I feel like not being able to skip tracks and being forced to just listen to a whole album the way it's intended to be would really help me get back into it. Any advice for where I should start?

nitewulf

So my crappy 50 year old record player crapped out like a year and a half ago and I'm finally going to be looking into getting some proper audio equipment.

The AV receiver I'm looking at has a phono in connection, but is marked as MM. Is my understanding correct that if I were to get a turntable with an MC I'd also need a pre amp?

Looking at the Denon 3312 and a Project Debut.

most basic and entry level tuntables come with MM cartridges only, and you can replace them with MM cartdriges. to install and be able to play an MC cartridge, you need a phono preamp with connections for MM and MC, or a step up transformer to raise the MC output voltage level to regular live in levels. i wouldn't worry too much about it, the Project Deubut comes with an MM cartridge, it'd work fine if the received has an MM phono input. MC cartridges are usually a lot more expensive, and are included only with high end turntables.

Top Bottom