• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Got the latest SBTRKT-single today. It has an amazing cover feature and is strictly limited:

7395139522_841f2d1f51_c.jpg

2xndz2.gif

8bit

Knows the Score
Got Ghost Box Study Series 08 in the post today :

Ghost+Box+Study+Series+08.jpg

And just ordered the BBC Radiophonic LPs that were part of Record Store Day from bleep.com

andylsun

Best Yard Sale day ever

yVmpHl.jpg

6VF1nl.jpg

Techincs SL-1650 for $10 including user manual, Thorens TD 165 for $20. Both in beautiful condition. Going to give them both a careful lookover, but already the Thorens seems like it will displace my SL-1200MKII.

My first ever belt drive....

Whats a good vinyl cleaning set? Been really awesome finally listening to all my vinyl, but I get a scratchy sound a lot of the time and think I need to do a decent clean of all my records.
Also, just realised I never took a pic of my turntable when I finally got it:

IMAG0282.jpg

andylsun

Whats a good vinyl cleaning set? Been really awesome finally listening to all my vinyl, but I get a scratchy sound a lot of the time and think I need to do a decent clean of all my records.
Also, just realised I never took a pic of my turntable when I finally got it:

IMAG0282.jpg

Carbon Fibre brush for cleaning every play. Will keep new vinyl great.

For thrift/yard sale finds. Wood glue (titebond II), then carbon fibre brush, or cave in and build a vacuum cleaner setup.

I do like the Rega, very nice, especially the arm. Is that an RB250?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Made this find earlier today on my way home... for 7 bucks the record is immaculate and the sleeve is in good condition.

ibdtBk3dvcdwo3.JPG

Also walked out with George Carlin's 'Class Clown' for a buck. good day.

Carbon Fibre brush for cleaning every play. Will keep new vinyl great.

For thrift/yard sale finds. Wood glue (titebond II), then carbon fibre brush, or cave in and build a vacuum cleaner setup.

I do like the Rega, very nice, especially the arm. Is that an RB250?

I think its the RB101, it's the stock one I know that.

Danielsan

Thanks man. I agree! Love the two bonus tracks on the vinyl.

Oh wow we really do have the same taste haha. I love Kill for Love. As far as new releases go, I really need to get the new Sigur Ros album and the new Tallest Man on Earth.
Yeah, it's kind of scary how similar are tastes in music are.

Anywho, seeing as Italians Do It Better still haven't put out Kill For Love on vinyl, I've decided to scratch my vinyl itch today.

iowuvTJuA5kJb.jpg

Something new, something old and something green

Beach House - Bloom
Radiohead - Ok Computer
Gil Scott-Heron and Jamie XX - We're New Here

Kind of suprised by the fact that Bloom is 45rpm, but it man does it sound godly.

Shiv47

Got Ghost Box Study Series 08 in the post today :

Ghost+Box+Study+Series+08.jpg

And just ordered the BBC Radiophonic LPs that were part of Record Store Day from bleep.com

As a fellow Ghost Box/BBC Radiophonic owner, let me state that you are a fellow of taste and discretion.

Danielsan

"We're New Here" is awesome. Been listening to that for a couple of months already.
Yeah, I've been listening to a digital copy for a while now. A friend of mine recently bought it on vinyl. Initially he bought it as a birthday gift for me, but he gave it a listen and got hooked. So he decided to keep it for himself. Can't say I blame him seeing as he paid €39,99 for it. Which would have made for a rather expensive gift.

I bumped into it whilst browsing at record stores in Amsterdam today, and got it for €22!
Just gave it a listen and needless to say it sounds great.

Finally got this in! Looks amazing, sounds amazing!

721kz.jpg
I am so damn jealous. I'd order the pink one already, but I'm curious how the North American release of the soundtrack will look.

Yeah, it's kind of scary how similar are tastes in music are.

Anywho, seeing as Italians Do It Better still haven't put out Kill For Love on vinyl, I've decided to scratch my vinyl itch today.

iowuvTJuA5kJb.jpg

Something new, something old and something green

Beach House - Bloom
Radiohead - Ok Computer
Gil Scott-Heron and Jamie XX - We're New Here

Kind of suprised by the fact that Bloom is 45rpm, but it man does it sound godly.
Incredible pick ups, like always. I take it you got the normal black version of Bloom? A friend of mine got it in white and it looks awesome.

You just reminded me how much I need OK Computer on vinyl. I mean, it's my favorite Radiohead album so there's really no excuse!

andylsun

I thought I'd struck gold when I found this for 50cents.

WAljSl.jpg

Always wanted a vinyl copy. Unfortunately it was so completely destroyed that it wasn't worth it even for the label. The record had chunks missing from the outside, a nasty split and warp, and some of the grooves were so damaged they were almost smooth...

Edit: Might go back and get it tomorrow - stick it on the wall - it certainly can't be played...

wenis

I got my first (although only for a days worth of work) paycheck from my new job and went record shopping... kinda splurged
3AQmK.gif

ihFLfxVusHVc4.png

Totally stoked about my Talking Heads finds and the Keith Jarrett live album for only 3 bucks

Can someone please tell me what I need to get into vinyl.

Turntable (find one of these at a garage sale, used record shop or salvation army shop) or this for 80 bucks
Receiver (I bought a nice Onkyo one, perfect for beginners and cheap as well... also easy to offload when you want to upgrade)
Bookshelf Speakers (I bought these, great bang for your buck)

The reciever is only 2 channel, so if this is just for your room or something that is cool, but if you want to go full surround and all that you'll have to look around a bit. I suggest just buying some nice headphones with either a lot of cable to them or buy a cable extender.

andylsun

Technically, you need a turntable with a good condition stylus, and then either an amplifier with phono input, or if you don't have a phono input on your amplifier, then an external phono pre-amplifier that connects between your turntable and amplifier. Most amplifiers made before 2000 should have a phono stage. There is also a complication between moving magnet and moving coil phono stages, but if you start with moving magnet (MM) you should be fine.

There's many different ways to pick a turntable, but if you are looking at new, you may need to budget around $400 (us dollars) for something that's good. If you can find a turntable used, and have someone who can work with you to make sure it's up to scratch, then it can be much cheaper. A good used older TT can be found for very cheap, but may need attention before it can be used as your main TT.

I assembled a good budget vinyl system a few years ago for well under $100 used including older TT and phono pre-amp and new stylus (Technics SL1700 TT, art dj pre II preamp and Red Ed stylus and cart). I do have experience in fixing and restoring them, and you can easily go wrong and destroy a used TT when trying to restore it. Parts are fragile and not always obtainable if they break.

From a vinyl perspective, new records can be expensive, but are fun to collect, and can contain mixes or versions not available on CD or download. Used/thrift/goodwell records can be very damaged, so you need a good eye for what may be playable, and some time and equipment invested in cleaning old used vinyl.

What part of the world are you in, shadyspace?

andylsun

ihFLfxVusHVc4.png

Totally stoked about my Talking Heads finds and the Keith Jarrett live album for only 3 bucks

That Keith Jarrett album is amazing. I picked it up last year and found it staggering. It seems to be one of his best, and some of the others I've picked up since haven't been as immediately engaging.

Can't go wrong with Talking Heads - working my way through finding all their output at the moment.

Moon Safari on vinyl, yum yum

What part of the world are you in, shadyspace?

US. I like the idea of vinyl because I've been finding myself getting away from music lately and I not being able to skip around and just listen to a whole album the way it was meant to be listened to will get me back into the swing of things.

andylsun

US. I like the idea of vinyl because I've been finding myself getting away from music lately and I not being able to skip around and just listen to a whole album the way it was meant to be listened to will get me back into the swing of things.

It makes a huge difference to me to have to listen to music a side at a time. When I rip my vinyl to my laptop/ipod, I rip it a side at a time, and normally listen to either the whole side or whole album.

As you are in the US, keep a eye on Craigslist - it does take patience and there's a lot of crap turntables on CL. If you are in Boston/New England, then PM me, because I may be able to help on the TT side.

Prez

First thing you need is a record player. You also need a cartridge and stylus (which are usually included). This is what the cartridge and stylus are if it's not clear to you.

Now, the sound coming out is very quiet so it has to be connected to a preamplifier which will amplify the volume to line level. This still isn't enough to make the speakers make sound so the signal has to go from the preamplifier to an amplifier. The amplifier is connected to the speakers. So it goes like this:

Record player -> preamplifier -> amplifier -> speakers

There are different amplifiers and different types of speakers, but you need one of these combinations:

1. Amplifier + passive speakers
2. Pre-amplifier + active speakers

To understand this, you need to know that most amplifiers have both a pre-amplifier and amplifier inside. There are also smaller units that have only a preamplifier (also called phono amp). Whichever amplifier you take, it needs to have a phono input which is the only possible input for a record player.

About speakers: there are active speakers (like PC speakers or active studio monitors) which have a built-in amplifier that powers the speakers. This eliminates the need for an external amplifier (you still need a preamplifier though!). Then there are passive speakers which are just that. They have no built-in amplifier and need an external amplifier to work.

If you're using active speakers, you can connect them to a preamplifier but you can also connect them to a regular amplifier using the tape output. This bypasses the amplifier part, using only the preamplifier.

I'm mostly interested in older stuff like Fleetwood Mac (eponymous, Rumours) and Joni Mitchell and stuff like that seems cheap. I'm not a huge audiophile, a servicable TT and speakers is all I need really. Under a $100 sounds great, I can go higher if that's impossible.

andylsun

I'm mostly interested in older stuff like Fleetwood Mac (eponymous, Rumours) and Joni Mitchell and stuff like that seems cheap. I'm not a huge audiophile, a servicable TT and speakers is all I need really. Under a $100 sounds great, I can go higher if that's impossible.

If you need an amplifier and speakers as well, then it's going to be trickier. It can be done but takes patience. My main system (tt, cd, tuner, amp, speakers) was built out of bits found on CL and via the local town recycling. Took about a year of hunting to get it to where I wanted, and bargains can always drop into your lap without warning - see my posting earlier of a Thorens and Technics TT for $30 total.

There's a lot of crap audio gear on CL, and you need to sift through, be prepared to travel to see items and then say no if they aren't what you want. Having an ability to do simple maintenance (e.g. deoxit spray on noisy/crackly volume controls) will help with that $10 amplifier find.

I have a saved search for Boston area craigslist that I look at around 5-6 times a day. There's only a couple of items every few weeks I will look at more closely, and even less number that I'll go and get.

A lot of speakers will have damaged or missing foam/surrounds on their woofers - do not buy them if the person selling them says they still play fine without the surround, it's critical to speaker operation. If you play them without the foam/surround then they can easily be destroyed.

As I'm British I tend to buy B&W or Mission speakers off CL. They can be very cheap or even free, and as they have rubber surrounds on their woofers, they don't need the amount of work that some foam surround speakers will need.

First thing you need is a record player. You also need a cartridge and stylus (which are usually included). This is what the cartridge and stylus are if it's not clear to you.

Now, the sound coming out is very quiet so it has to be connected to a preamplifier which will amplify the volume to line level. This still isn't enough to make the speakers make sound so the signal has to go from the preamplifier to an amplifier. The amplifier is connected to the speakers. So it goes like this:

Record player -> preamplifier -> amplifier -> speakers

There are different amplifiers and different types of speakers, but you need one of these combinations:

1. Amplifier + passive speakers
2. Pre-amplifier + active speakers

To understand this, you need to know that most amplifiers have both a pre-amplifier and amplifier inside. There are also smaller units that have only a preamplifier (also called phono amp). Whichever amplifier you take, it needs to have a phono input which is the only possible input for a record player.

About speakers: there are active speakers (like PC speakers or active studio monitors) which have a built-in amplifier that powers the speakers. This eliminates the need for an external amplifier (you still need a preamplifier though!). Then there are passive speakers which are just that. They have no built-in amplifier and need an external amplifier to work.

If you're using active speakers, you can connect them to a preamplifier but you can also connect them to a regular amplifier using the tape output. This bypasses the amplifier part, using only the preamplifier.

Or just buy a amplifier with Phono input and you are ready to go...

wenis

I dunno how many of you catalog your collections on Discogs, but it was pointed out that if you go to your collection and look at the way the albums can be displayed there is a little Bar Graph icon that will give you the sum total of your collection and your most expensive record in that collection... could be fun
KuGsj.gif
no this isn't my way of trying to figure out who to rob first ;)

Minimum: $1,167.48
Median: $1,724.68
Maximum: $2,617.32

With my top 10 most expensive records:

Brand New - The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me (Triple Crown Records - 3099-1) 2xLP, Red - $140.00

Washed Out - Life Of Leisure (Mexican Summer - MEX 023) 12", EP, Ltd, Pur - $139.95

Washed Out - Feel It All Around (Transparent (3) - TP005) 7", Ltd - $100.00

Radiohead - The King Of Limbs (Ticker Tape Ltd. - TICK001S) 2x10", Album, Ltd, Cle + CD, Album - $75.00

Mogwai - Mr. Beast ([PIAS] Recordings, [PIAS] Recordings, Rock Action Records - PIASX062DLP, 940.0062.012) 2xLP, Album, S/Sided, Etch - $70.65

Between The Buried And Me - Colors (Victory Records - VR-351-LP) 2xLP, Album, Ltd, Gre - $65.00

Dillinger Escape Plan, The - Calculating Infinity (Relapse Records - RR 6427-1) LP, Pic, Ltd - $64.78

Explosions In The Sky - Take Care, Take Care, Take Care (Temporary Residence Limited - TRR199) LP, Gre + LP, Etch, S/Sided, Bro + , Album - $60.00

Dillinger Escape Plan, The with Mike Patton - Irony Is A Dead Scene (Buddyhead - BUDDYHEAD 011) 12", EP, Ltd, Ora - $59.99

BeeDog

I dunno how many of you catalog your collections on Discogs, but it was pointed out that if you go to your collection and look at the way the albums can be displayed there is a little Bar Graph icon that will give you the sum total of your collection and your most expensive record in that collection... could be fun
KuGsj.gif
no this isn't my way of trying to figure out who to rob first ;)

Fun option! Just checked my collection, whoopsie:

Collection Value Range

Minimum:
€1,822.62
Median:
€3,095.05
Maximum:
€5,025.38

Reckoner

I'm thinking on getting a Rega RP1 record player or a Pro-Ject Genie 3. Are there still many vinyl releases and what am I going to need to get it setup? Phono preamps? Can I connect it easily to active studio monitors?

I'm thinking on getting a Rega RP1 record player or a Pro-Ject Genie 3. Are there still many vinyl releases and what am I going to need to get it setup? Phono preamps? Can I connect it easily to active studio monitors?

RP1 --> Phono Pre-amp --> Active Monitors will work.

(I use active monitors as well but I use a source selector to switch between my PC and Phono-pre-amp output.)

Finally got a turntable today!

ib1saAuA09dSan.jpg

Technics SL-D303

I've only got eleven albums so far, but I love it. It's in great condition.

One question though. I'm using a little phono pre-amp and I can very faintly hear some interference from a radio station. I've got the ground cord on the pre-amp though not super tightly. Should this matter in this situation?

Reckoner

RP1 --> Phono Pre-amp --> Active Monitors will work.

(I use active monitors as well but I use a source selector to switch between my PC and Phono-pre-amp output.)

Ended buying a mix table. It has source selector too, through channels. Great stuff for 150$. Now, waiting for the weekend to get the turntable.

hoverX

Finally contributing to this. Haven't bought vinyl in years.

I think I'm going to go buy my all time favourite albums on vinyl.

fqWhDl.jpg

surly

Banned
Possibly the rarest record I own: -

TiicN.jpg

L.L. Cool J - Year Of The Hip-Hop 10" test pressing. That's number 3 of only 10 copies that exist. It's signed by K-Def, the producer of the track.

Reckoner

Does anyone know a brand of japanese turntables called Rising? I have one here but can't find any information about it on the internet. Looking for a stylus for it.

Ordered Metallica's Black Album from Amazon. New sealed and everything. There is a perfect skip in The Unforgiven right before the second verse. They sent me a replacement, same thing at same spot and everything. Obviously coming from the factory that way. Pretty shitty. Guess I'll try ebay for an older pressing.

Top Bottom