• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

weirdoripperslp.jpg

No Age - Weirdo Rippers LP. Sold only on their winter tour, but I didn't get it there. Wonderful cover quality. :lol

Jason said:

That's pretty hot.

Jason

bought more junk!

julyvinyl1.jpg

Constantines - Shine a Light
The Two Koreas - Sessions E.P.
Feist - The Reminder
Season's Greetings from Pas/Cal & Asobi Seksu
Spaceballs - The Soundtrack
2046 - OST (CD+DVD in vinyl packaging)

julyvinyl2.jpg

R.E.M. - It's the End of the World...
Kenny Rogers - Islands in the Stream
Electric Light Orchestra - All Over the World
Serge Gainsbourg & Jane Birkin - Je T'aime...Moi Non Plus
Aretha Franklin - Respect

julyvinyl3.jpg

Berlin - Take My Breath Away
The Smiths - How Soon is Now?
Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Pump It Up
The Rolling Stones - Miss You
Frank Sinatra - In the Wee Small Hours

Jason said:
Bought these a couple weeks ago. Scarlett <3 <3

newvinyl.jpg

And I decided to give myself a little birthday present...

pd3.jpg

Pro-Ject Debut III, Piano Black. :D A bitch and a half to setup but the sound is glorious.

pd32.jpg

Yoshimi never sounded so good. :)

I love ur table

New records! :D

2679241837_50080f669b_o.jpg

2679241843_5f60897006_o.jpg

2679241849_0b08bd2d77_o.jpg

Venetian Snares - Einstein-Rosen-Bridge single

2679241857_ca013de511_o.jpg

In my Arms special editon front

2679241859_7970f50ec7_o.jpg

and back

2679241861_a0428d2f5a_o.jpg

2679242885_225b1be9df_o.jpg

MGMT - Electric Feel 7inch and a couple of mags.

Jason

Picked up some cheap wax from HMV today.
rock.gif

stopspending2.jpg

Rilo Kiley - The Moneymaker

stopspending3.jpg

Sparklehorse - Dreamt For Light Years in the Belly of a Mountain
Had to get the manager to approve the $5 price since it was scanning in at $22. :lol

stopspending4.jpg

Bjork - Volta
Regular price was $45. No clue how I'm going to open it with that big ass sticker on the front. :|

and from a couple days ago...
julyagain6.jpg

Mclusky - Undress for Success 7" and Chokebore - Strangelines EP

Sanjuro

I don't know much about vinyl. However the Dark Knight soundtrack is coming out in a 2-LP set. I'm interested in purchasing.

I also have the Ghosbusters LP soundtrack I found at a thrift store for a dollar.

thefit

My contribution for the day.

Behold, vinyl movies!! CED movies to be exact. Somewhere in time between laser disk and VHS there was CED.

mo80o.jpg

and my CED player in all its fake wood covered glory.

2e5oyfa.jpg

Tokubetsu

Figured this would be the best place to ask this. So I'm EXTREMELY interested in vinyl collecting/listening but i don't know where to start in terms of players. Something somewhat portable would be nice since im a college guy so I'd like to bring it home with me during winter break and summer.

Jason

Tokubetsu said:
Figured this would be the best place to ask this. So I'm EXTREMELY interested in vinyl collecting/listening but i don't know where to start in terms of players. Something somewhat portable would be nice since im a college guy so I'd like to bring it home with me during winter break and summer.

Not too sure about the quality of these but one of these may suit you.
http://www.insound.com/gift_ideas.php?startnum=1&type=1

My Juno order came in today. :)

july28vinyl1.jpg

Lykke Li - I'm Good I'm Gone 12"

july28vinyl2.jpg

Sissy - So Long

july28vinyl3.jpg

Sebastien Tellier - Divine

july28vinyl4.jpg

Islands - The Tomlab Alphabet Singles Series

july28vinyl5.jpg

Jenny Lewis with The Watson Twins - Rise Up with Fists!!

july28vinyl6.jpg

Dizzee Rascal - Sirens

july28vinyl7.jpg

Lykke Li - I'm Good I'm Gone 7"

Kitsuné

since when does a fox need an accent aigu?
Klaxon, I love your taste in music! Your post is making me drool all over it...

I should go to the record shop :(

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Cant believe I stumbled on this thread just now... I've been recently just getting into vinyl pretty heavily. Bought my first turntable and have a small collection of records. The thing I really love about records is there is an element of involvement when you are listening . You cant skip tracks and you have to get up to flip it over. And the smell of new vinyl mmmmm its like fresh baked cookies on a cold morning.

Equipment/Records:
IMGP0873.jpg

IMGP0875.jpg

IMGP0876.jpg

IMGP0878.jpg

Well, I posted it already in the Pick-Up thread, but I thought it might be good to push the thread. I hope the mods are not angry about this. My latest vinyls:

2833549138_99a84e5c35_o.jpg

2833549028_6c5e344949_o.jpg

2832709539_43a09e7d45_o.jpg

2832709433_0362734def_o.jpg

2832709355_3b69022d31_o.jpg

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I used to love listening to my father's collection of vinyl back when I was a kid. That warm crackling sound and suddenly some nostalgic smooth tunes play from what seems to be the middle of the earth you are standing on.

I never bothered to collect.. but there's one that I would love dearly to own. Mono's Memorie dal Futuro.

Mono_MemorieDalFuturo_grey_10_1.jpg

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Hi there.

My table: (Project Debut III)

table2ln5.jpg

Goes in to a Technics SA-DA-20 receiver:

4575.jpg

Pics of some recent purchases over the last few months:

1-3-1.jpg

Inside view since it's really nice:

3-2-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

recordsuq5.jpg

lpskp9.jpg

Kitsuné

since when does a fox need an accent aigu?
It's been a while:

npp6v9.jpg

Das Pop - Underground / Bloc Party - Mercury 7" singles

2l963bm.jpg

Ladyhawke - Paris is Burning 12" single

b4unoo.jpg

123txfs.jpg

Kitsuné Maison Compilation 4 and 6

671c0z.jpg

Cut Copy - Hearts on Fire 12" Single

vpwawx.jpg

Hot Chip - Made in the Dark

2ytxvfc.jpg

Air - Moon Safari

166hqub.jpg

Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack

Too lazy to take pictures, but some recent purchases:

- Radiohead - OK Computer
- Radiohead - Kid A
- Radiohead - Amnesiac
- Deerhoof - The Runners Four
- Japanther - Tut Tut, Shake Ya Butt

Kitsuné said:
It's been a while:

http://i36.tinypic.com/npp6v9.jpg[/IMG]
Das Pop - Underground / Bloc Party - Mercury 7" singles

http://i37.tinypic.com/2l963bm.jpg[/IMG]
Ladyhawke - Paris is Burning 12" single

http://i34.tinypic.com/b4unoo.jpg[/IMG]
http://i34.tinypic.com/123txfs.jpg[/IMG]
Kitsuné Maison Compilation 4 and 6

http://i37.tinypic.com/671c0z.jpg[/IMG]
Cut Copy - Hearts on Fire 12" Single

http://i35.tinypic.com/vpwawx.jpg[/IMG]
Hot Chip - Made in the Dark

http://i34.tinypic.com/2ytxvfc.jpg[/IMG]
Air - Moon Safari

http://i38.tinypic.com/166hqub.jpg[/IMG]
Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack

Very very nice choices. I need to buy some Ladyhawke and that Moon Safari, too.

My latest pick up:

3032462106_2688f5c64b_o.jpg

MM..Food by MF Doom. Like his flow and music very much. I couldn't find Madvillany so I bought this first.

Kastro said:
what albums are these? I know Ive seen these covers before.

The first one is "CSS - Donkey" and the second is "Foals - Antidotes ".

Kastro said:
also what's a recommended player for someone looking to get into vinyl? and a good place to get vinyl

I currently own a Lenco l-3807. It's a clone of the Technics SL-1200 MK 2 (best player ever) for not even half the price (The Technics costs around 500$ new, the Lenco around 200$). I'm completely satisfied with it. You just have to buy a good cartridge (40-60$).

A good place to get vinyl is probably your local record store. In the net you can get most stuff via www.ebay.com or www.discogs.com .

Once-in-a-lifetime find today, I'm pretty ecstatic!

Simon & Garfunkel's Bookends

2qa60dz.jpg

So what, everyone and their mother owns this record, right?

10e1pxi.png

Not on mono they don't. Super rare. Granted mine's not in nearly that condition, and no longer has the poster, but still!

Desperado

1zcq15z.jpg

Simon & Garfunkel - Wednesday Morning, 3 AM // Bridge Over Troubled Water
Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard // Rainbow Concert
Crosby, Stills & Nash - CSN // The Doobie Brothers - Toulouse Street
Eagles - Desperado // Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Don McLean - American Pie

All for about $50 total. All with nearly pristine discs, and covers in awesome condition. I love Austin's record stores.

[Sorry about the pic quality, my cell phone camera sucks and I lost my digital camera a year ago.]

I have 25 albums total now on vinyl, all purchased within the last half-year or so. I love collecting...it's the only non-essential thing I spend my money on, really. I don't really care much about rare versions, just that it wasn't printed decades after its release...I have a GREAT copy of Sgt. Pepper's from '78 that's the only 'newer' release of my records compared to the originals.

Unfortunately, I don't have a record player...too poor. :( I would borrow my dad's [for an extended period], but it's part of an old unwieldy Sony system and would be way too much trouble to take to and from college.

Graf Nudu said:
Damn, do I miss record covers. In another thread, someone mentioned how digital downloads took away the joy of reading the CD booklet. Pfft. A poor substitute for the full expanse of an LP cover.

Desperado

Ok, I got some money for Christmas, and I want to buy a used record player, preferably under $100. I'm looking on eBay but I don't know what's good and what's not. Can I get some recommendations?

Solaros

I am kind of in the same boat as Desperado.

I have a Technics Direct Drive Automatic SL-D3. I thought I needed a new needle, which I got for Christmas, but perhaps it is something else. My stereo is turned pretty much all the way up and I can still barely hear the music. Do I have to put it through some kind of amp or is there a special receiver I need for it?

Any help is appreciated.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Solaros said:
I am kind of in the same boat as Desperado.

I have a Technics Direct Drive Automatic SL-D3. I thought I needed a new needle, which I got for Christmas, but perhaps it is something else. My stereo is turned pretty much all the way up and I can still barely hear the music. Do I have to put it through some kind of amp or is there a special receiver I need for it?

Any help is appreciated.

You need a phono stage. Lots of info throughout the this thread.

Solaros

Any recommendations for one?

I have seen ones like this one, which seems really cheap. To ones like this that are little pricier, but I am wondering if the sound quality would be any different. I am not looking for the most expensive one, but I don't want the cheapest one either. Just one that is nice and middle of the road.

Thanks for your response Borgnine.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Solaros said:
Any recommendations for one?

I have seen ones like this one, which seems really cheap. To ones like this that are little pricier, but I am wondering if the sound quality would be any different. I am not looking for the most expensive one, but I don't want the cheapest one either. Just one that is nice and middle of the road.

Thanks for your response Borgnine.

Stay away from really cheap phono stages. Not only will they sound horrific but they'll have unacceptably high levels of hum making them all but unlistenable.

There's only one beginners phonostage that I recommend, and that is the NAD PP2.

You should be able to get it for less than $100 USD.

A bargain.

Solaros

Witchfinder General said:
Stay away from really cheap phono stages. Not only will they sound horrific but they'll have unacceptably high levels of hum making them all but unlistenable.

There's only one beginners phonostage that I recommend, and that is the NAD PP2.

You should be able to get it for less than $100 USD.

A bargain.
Perfect, could you possibly recommend some other ones, as that is the price range that I intend to stick to, but I wouldn't mind reading some more about other ones.

Top Bottom