• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

btf1980

Jason said:
That bjork sticker is such a pain in the ass. :lol

It's annoying, but I managed to peel one side cleanly, so that when I'm done listening to the records, I can simply close it again with the sticker.

nitewulf

btf, you have an awesome taste in music ( Tinariwen! ). and those B&W's look very nice.

but i wanted to ask, do you have Undercurrent by Bill Evans and Jim Hall?

btf1980

nitewulf said:
btf, you have an awesome taste in music ( Tinariwen! ). and those B&W's look very nice.

but i wanted to ask, do you have Undercurrent by Bill Evans and Jim Hall?

Thanks!

I do have Undercurrent, but not on vinyl. I have an ALAC version on my NAS drive. Usually play it on my Sonos.

For serious Jazz fans, look into the following albums below. I just spun the Booker Ervin and Mingus lps, man talk about kick ass!

Max Roach - We Insist - Freedom Now Suite (180g Pure Pleasure Records)
Jazz Artists Guild (Led by Charles Mingus) - Newport Rebels (180g Pure Pleasure Records)
Dinah Washington - The Queen (180g Speakers Corner)
Dinah Washington - Swingin' Miss D (180g Speakers Corner)
Charles Mingus - Charles Mingus Presents (180g Pure Pleasure Records)
Booker Ervin - That's It (180g Pure Pleasure Records)

DSC_0002-19.jpg

nitewulf

ah, good to hear. probably my favorite jazz album. i am a serious jazz fan, my collection is all flac, usb-dac to my system.

i'm more into cool jazz though, and bossa nova. chet baker, stan getz, lester young, jobim, joao gilberto, oscar peterson trio, dave brubeck etc.

recently picked up thelonious monk & john coltrane at the carnegie hall (it was lost, found in 2007 by an engineer from the archives). wonderful stuff, and coltrane was so melodious, at his smooth best in those early days.

btf1980

nitewulf said:
ah, good to hear. probably my favorite jazz album. i am a serious jazz fan, my collection is all flac, usb-dac to my system.

i'm more into cool jazz though, and bossa nova. chet baker, stan getz, lester young, jobim, joao gilberto, oscar peterson trio, dave brubeck etc.

recently picked up thelonious monk & john coltrane at the carnegie hall (it was lost, found in 2007 by an engineer from the archives). wonderful stuff, and coltrane was so melodious, at his smooth best in those early days.

All good stuff, though I am more into Hard Bop jazz. Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers, Lee Morgan, Sonny Clark, Sonny Rollins, Hank Mobley, Charles Mingus, Paul Chambers, Freddie Hubbard, Clifford Brown, Max Roach etc

Look up A Night in Tunisia and Moanin' by Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers if you don't have them already. The track "Drum Thunder Suite" on Moanin' is just bananas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBDdgYOjK5A

miyuru

Just ordered a bunch off www.arcademode.com if you're into any of that stuff (Surkin, Proxy, ZZT, etc.). They have a sale where a lot of the vinyls are 4 Euros each. With shipping to Canada it came to $10 CDN/record (I ordered 10).

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
My finally got to look at all my mom's and stepdad's records in our basement. 4 out of 6 boxes were moldy and we had to throw out lots of good stuff. Talking Heads, King Crimson, Frank Zappa, bunch of old broadway musical soundtracks, Jimi Hendrix, The Clash, and The Rolling Stones album Some Girls with the celebrities still in the slide-out. The only moldy album I saved was the British version of Electric Ladyland with the naked ladies on the cover. Alot of stuff is just getting thrown out.

Alucrid

Banned
GoutPatrol said:
My finally got to look at all my mom's and stepdad's records in our basement. 4 out of 6 boxes were moldy and we had to throw out lots of good stuff. Talking Heads, King Crimson, Frank Zappa, bunch of old broadway musical soundtracks, Jimi Hendrix, The Clash, and The Rolling Stones album Some Girls with the celebrities still in the slide-out. The only moldy album I saved was the British version of Electric Ladyland with the naked ladies on the cover. Alot of stuff is just getting thrown out.

Wow, that's terrible, some good bands there. My parent's records were fine, somehow. Other than smelling a bit musty they're in pristine condition.

btf1980 said:

Thanks, they look good. Just wondering though, how does the plastic sleeve fit? Is there a small part of the plastic that sticks out or does it fit snugly to the original sleeve?

Jason

Alucrid said:
Thanks, they look good. Just wondering though, how does the plastic sleeve fit? Is there a small part of the plastic that sticks out or does it fit snugly to the original sleeve?

The one's I have are not snug. But you get use to folding it correctly after you do a few dozen. :lol

Afrodium

Banned
I just found a store that is full of used records near me. It's somewhat unorganized, but all vinyl is $3-$10, and there are plenty of steals to be had. I picked up Pleased to Meet ME by The Replacements and Led Zeppelin's fourth album. I'm definitely heading back.

Hey, just got dew drops in the garden by deee-lite lately. AWESOME album from the 90's in mint condition.

Here's my collection:

1z6b8gp.jpg

25gqoti.jpg

14x32ns.jpg

2qaoeo7.jpg

Those who like techno just got served. I'm still searching for old trance tracks.

Anyone knows a good shop in Montreal for records?

btf1980

Latest haul. :D

Lee Morgan - Candy - 45 RPM (Music Matters)
Dexter Gordon - Doin' Allright - 45 RPM (Music Matters)
John Coltrane - Blue Train - 45 RPM (Analog Productions)
Dexter Gordon - Go - 45 RPM (Analog Productions)
Ike Quebec - It Might As Well Be Spring - 45 RPM (Analog Productions)
Miles Davis All Stars - Walkin' - 45 RPM (Analog Productions)
Sonny Rollins - Sonny Rollins & The Contemporary Leaders - 45 RPM (Analog Productions)
Miles Davis - Miles Davis & The Modern Jazz Giants - 45 RPM (Analog Productions)
John Patton - Along Came John - 45 RPM (Analog Productions)
Jackie Mclean - Jackie's Bag - 45 RPM (Analog Productions)
Junior Wells - Hoodoo Man Blues - 45 RPM (Analogue Productions)
Muddy Waters - Folk Singer - 200 gram (Classic Records)
Louis Armstrong - Satchmo Plays King Oliver - 200 gram (Classic Records)
Patricia Barber - Live A Forthnight in France - 200 gram (Classic Records)
Susan Tedeschi - Just Won't Burn - 180 gram - (Analog Productions)
Sonny Rollins What's New - 180 gram - (Pure Pleasure)

DSC_0001-19.jpg

DSC_0002-23.jpg

DSC_0004-16.jpg

btf1980

Alucrid said:

The What's New lp by Sonny Rollins and the Hoodoo Man Blues lp by Junior Wells in the 3rd pic I posted above are inside the sleeves. it's the perfect size for most lps, including gatefolds. However, I notice ORG gatefold lps are a bit too thick for it.

DJ_Tet

Banned
The Power Of Snap said:
Those who like techno just got served. I'm still searching for old trance tracks.

Anyone knows a good shop in Montreal for records?

I want to come listen to your records and stare at your walls :D

btf1980 said:

Sonny Rollins - Sonny Rollins & The Contemporary Leaders - 45 RPM (Analog Productions)
Miles Davis - Miles Davis & The Modern Jazz Giants - 45 RPM (Analog Productions)

DSC_0001-19.jpg

DSC_0002-23.jpg

DSC_0004-16.jpg

i wish i could afford all those hoffman/gray remasters, I own a couple and my god do they sound fantastic!! Sometimes i even hear the jazz singers talking in the background

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Just bought two pairs of these:

Chord Co. Sognet 1m RCA interconnect

106.jpg

I'm using one pair to go between my turntable and phonostage and the other pair from the phonostage to my amp.

They need to be run in but holy fuck have they improved the system. Detail (a fuckload more) greater soundstage, instrument separation, better vocals and deeper bass.

Amazing.

btf1980

Winged Creature said:
i wish i could afford all those hoffman/gray remasters, I own a couple and my god do they sound fantastic!! Sometimes i even hear the jazz singers talking in the background

Yeah, I know. I think this happens the most on Art Blakey records. You can hear him groaning and grunting as he beats the shit outta his drums. It's crazy.

btf1980

Winged Creature said:
The only thing i dont like about that series is that their 45s not 33s, and i have to get up and flip the side much more often

It's more than worth it. I don't mind getting up. A lot of these titles were released on Classic Records as 33.3, and those are very good. I own a lot of them, but compared to these 45s, there is no comparison. Also, the Music Matters 45s have fantastic gatefold covers.

Why 45rpm? http://www.musicmattersjazz.com/sound.html#article2

yea the 45s do sound better i find, absolutely fantastic, like im in the same room as them. These releases are meant for and really do shine on higher end gear.

Witchfinder General said:
Just bought two pairs of these:

Chord Co. Sognet 1m RCA interconnect

106.jpg

I'm using one pair to go between my turntable and phonostage and the other pair from the phonostage to my amp.

They need to be run in but holy fuck have they improved the system. Detail (a fuckload more) greater soundstage, instrument separation, better vocals and deeper bass.

Amazing.

im still skeptical that cables can really make such a big difference. How can some overpriced cable thats made with the same materials as some of the cheaper stuff make such a huge difference. Subtle, maybe, but a huge difference is hard to believe.

miyuru

Winged Creature said:
im still skeptical that cables can really make such a big difference. How can some overpriced cable thats made with the same materials as some of the cheaper stuff make such a huge difference. Subtle, maybe, but a huge difference is hard to believe.

I believe it, but the difference in quality is relative to the rest of your equipment. If your stock cables are the bottleneck I'm sure that really high quality cables would make a truly noticeable difference, especially since this is an analog signal.

btf1980 said:

DSC_0001-19.jpg

DSC_0002-23.jpg

DSC_0004-16.jpg

Some really beautiful recordings in there, congrats :)

btf1980

The latest haul.

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Moanin - 45 RPM (Analogue Productions)
Hank Mobley - A Caddy For Daddy - 45 RPM (Analogue Productions)
Grant Green - Idle Moments - 45 RPM (Analogue Productions)
The 3 Sounds - Bottom's Up - 45 RPM (Analogue Productions)
Buddy Guy & Junior Wells - Going Back To Acoustic - 180 Gram (Pure Pleasure)
Louis Armstrong & Oscar Peterson - Louis Armstrong Meets Oscar Peterson - 180 Gram (Speakers Corner)
Louis Armstrong - Satch Plays Fats - 180 Gram (Pure Pleasure)
Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington - Recording Together For The First Time 200 Gram
Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington - The Great Reunion (Classic) 200 Gram
Booker Little - Out Front - 180 Gram (Pure Pleasure)
Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up - 180 Gram (Cisco)
Herbie Hancock - Takin' Off - 180 Gram (Cisco)
Sonny Rollins - The Bridge - 180 Gram
Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers with Thelonious Monk - (import)
Miles Davis - Milestones - (import)
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew - 180 Gram
Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul - 180g (MoFi)
Elmo Williams and Hezekiah Early - 10" - American Made

DSC_0004-25.jpg

DSC_0012-12.jpg

Listening to Hank Mobley's "A Caddy For Daddy" has me --> :D

So earth shattering real. It's like Hank Mobley, Lee Morgan, McCoy Tyner etc are playing in front of me. Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray have hit a homerun again with these 45rpm bluenotes.

^^^ That Grant Green album is phenomenal.

Can anyone recommend me some good Bop/Hard Bop Jazz with Piano and Vibes? I found an Andrew Hill album called JUDGEMENT that I really liked, but not much else.

Help?

btf1980

permutated said:
^^^ That Grant Green album is phenomenal.

Can anyone recommend me some good Bop/Hard Bop Jazz with Piano and Vibes? I found an Andrew Hill album called JUDGEMENT that I really liked, but not much else.

Help?

Hard bop piano?

Look up

Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin', Sonny's Crib, Dial "S" For Sonny, Leapin' and Lopin
Horace Parlan - Speakin' My Piece, Us Three, On The Spur of the moment
Horace Silver - Cape Verdean Blues, Tokyo Blues, The Stylings of Silver
Bobby Timmons - This Here is Bobby Timmons
Kenny Drew - Undercurrent
Freddie Redd - Shades of Redd
Anything with Red Garland. He was the pianist for Miles Davis for a very long time.

btf1980 said:
The latest haul.

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Moanin - 45 RPM (Analogue Productions)
Hank Mobley - A Caddy For Daddy - 45 RPM (Analogue Productions)
Grant Green - Idle Moments - 45 RPM (Analogue Productions)
The 3 Sounds - Bottom's Up - 45 RPM (Analogue Productions)
Buddy Guy & Junior Wells - Going Back To Acoustic - 180 Gram (Pure Pleasure)
Louis Armstrong & Oscar Peterson - Louis Armstrong Meets Oscar Peterson - 180 Gram (Speakers Corner)
Louis Armstrong - Satch Plays Fats - 180 Gram (Pure Pleasure)
Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington - Recording Together For The First Time 200 Gram
Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington - The Great Reunion (Classic) 200 Gram
Booker Little - Out Front - 180 Gram (Pure Pleasure)
Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up - 180 Gram (Cisco)
Herbie Hancock - Takin' Off - 180 Gram (Cisco)
Sonny Rollins - The Bridge - 180 Gram
Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers with Thelonious Monk - (import)
Miles Davis - Milestones - (import)
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew - 180 Gram
Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul - 180g (MoFi)
Elmo Williams and Hezekiah Early - 10" - American Made

DSC_0004-25.jpg

DSC_0012-12.jpg

Listening to Hank Mobley's "A Caddy For Daddy" has me --> :D

So earth shattering real. It's like Hank Mobley, Lee Morgan, McCoy Tyner etc are playing in front of me. Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray have hit a homerun again with these 45rpm bluenotes.

Damn you got all the hoffman/gray masters Im so jealous :D . Btw enjoy the issac hayes mofi pressing and the herbie hancock takin off. I have the mofi on sacd sounds fantastic. As for the takin' off listen to side 2 first track and turn it up and close your eyes its reference quality.

btf1980

Winged Creature said:
Damn you got all the hoffman/gray masters Im so jealous :D . Btw enjoy the issac hayes mofi pressing and the herbie hancock takin off. I have the mofi on sacd sounds fantastic. As for the takin' off listen to side 2 first track and turn it up and close your eyes its reference quality.

Yeah, I had the mofi Isaac Hayes on SACD too, but I sold it on ebay for $180 last year. Musicdirect now has them for like $60, so i'm pleased as punch, even more so since I bought it for like $20 new when it came out! Audiophiles are nuts sometimes.

btf1980

Oh, and yeah - I got some more vinyl.

Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch - 45 RPM - Music Matters
Kenny Dorham - Round About Midnight At The Cafe Bohemia - Music Matters
Kenny Dorham - Quiet Kenny - 45 RPM - Analog Productions
Miles Davis - The Musings of Miles - 45 RPM - Analog Productions
Red Garland Trio - Groovy - 45 RPM - Analog Productions
Thelonious Monk Trio - Alone in San Francisco - 45 RPM - Analog Productions
Thelonious Monk - The Unique Thelonious Monk - 45 RPM - Analog Productions
Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall - 200 Gram - Mosaic
Clifford Brown & Max Roach - A Study in Brown - 180 Gram - Speakers Corner

The gatefold covers on the Music Matters titles are superb!

DSC_0001-26.jpg

DSC_0002-30.jpg

DSC_0003-30.jpg

DSC_0005-27.jpg

Also picked up a couple of White Stripes and Raconteurs 45s.

DSC_0008-21.jpg

btf1980

More Hoffman/Gray 45 rpms and 2 big scores imo. An original copy of Ole by John Coltrane and an original Fela Kuti lp. I already have this record, but this one is in much better condition and was never played.

DSC_0001-28.jpg

DSC_0002-32.jpg

btf1980

Winged Creature said:
With all that vinyl you have, have u ever thought about upgrading your turntable to something even nicer to enjoy those audiophile pressings

I'm a music first person. I've had many other more expensive setups and imo, from what I have had, and what I have auditioned, provided you have a very good cartridge (pref. moving coil) the performance differences between a $1k and $5k table is negligible.

My previous turntable was a tweaked VPI Scout and a Clearaudio Aurum Beta S cartridge, with a VPI Syncronic Drive System and a Simaudio Moon phonostage. With all the tweaks, the cost of the upgraded tonearm and expensive cartridge, drive system etc, it was more than 4 times the cost of my current rig, but it was not 4 times the performer. The changes that would warrant a sizable difference for me would be well past the 10K range, something I would rather not do.

My previous VPI.

DSC_0012-1.jpg

DSC_0010-1.jpg

I've done the high end thing with digital sources too, but I'm very picky with my preferences. For instance, I much prefer my current Marantz SACD player to my previous one, the Esoteric SZ-1 - which was much more expensive.

DSC_0002-11.jpg

Anyway, here is my latest vinyl haul.

Digable Planet - Blowout Comb
The Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride

DSC_0012-13.jpg

JB Lenoir - Alabama Blues (sadly, an often forgotten blues man)
DSC_0002-33.jpg

Stanley Turrentine - Sugar (one of my favorites albums)
DSC_0003-32.jpg

DSC_0005-28.jpg

The rest of the haul...got a few 45rpm Hoffman/Gray remasters in there.

DSC_0007-24.jpg

Raistlin

Tokubetsu said:
Bought my first vinyl yesterday. Horehound by The Dead Weathers. Now to save for a Pro-Ject Debut III.

I think you'll be pleased. The D3 is quite nice for the price.

Tokubetsu

So my mother has an old player she was able to give me. Finally got to listen to the record. It's great, I'm pretty sold right now. My main problem is where to go with records from here. I don't have much access to local stores but was wondering if there were some reliable sources online? The biggest thing I'm looking for right now are 90s Wu-Tang records if they exist. Particularly Only Built 4 Cuban Linx by Raekwon, 36 Chambers and Tical by Method Man.

EDIT: looks like stagesoundirect has quite a selction and even has 180 gram 36 Chambers for pre-order.

http://www.soundstagedirect.com/wu-tang-clan-enter-the-wutang-180-gram-vinyl-lp-import.shtml

hey everyone dont mean to bother yall but having computer problems and will need some extra money to get it fixed. i just listed some rare danger mouse records on ebay check em out. also fans of library records (kpm, mp2000, janko nilovic etc) i have a ton for sale that i will eventually list on ebay but you can get them before that you can view and hear them here

btf1980

Latest lot.

Miles Davis 45 RPM boxset of Prestige Recordings. Doesn't get better than this. Miles, Coltrane, Chambers, Philly Joe Jones & Red Garland.

DSC_0005-29.jpg

DSC_0006-24.jpg

Clifford Brown Japanese Import title
DSC_0001-29.jpg

DSC_0004-28.jpg

Trio of Mingus titles. And the sadly forgotten bassist Doug Watkins. He was only 28 when he died. He was Paul Chambers' Cousin. Chambers died at 33 too. Watkins played on Sonny Rollin's Saxophone Colossus among other great albums.

DSC_0002-34.jpg

My favorite poet/spoken word lyricist, Gil-Scott Heron!

DSC_0004-29.jpg

oracrest

nice thread! Just stumbled onto it.

I have been buying vinyl exclusively for a couple of years now.

I've been enjoying the Sonic Youth Daydream Nation album, especially the live record. very raw performances.

sonic-youth_-_daydream-nation-russi.jpg

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
I figured this would be the ideal place to ask.

So I've decided that I want to get back into vinyl. I remember all the hours spent in the basement, listening to my parents old Boney M records, and in a fit of nostalgia, decided I needed to get me some wax.

Problem is, my old table is dying. After a good 27 years of so, the motor on my old Sony is dying, so I need a new table. The problem here is money: I'm a student and thus am too poor for anything really nice.

I was looking into this one:
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Turntable&product=4202023
Mostly just because I wanted a basic table to play my records on. Nothing too fancy: belt driven, pre-amp, etc.

What do you guys think? (PS - I live in Canada if that makes a difference)

thefit

LoneWolf296 said:
I have that exact same turntable, its a sturdy beast eh?! Love the receiver though, mine is an old hunk of junk :(

Nice TT, what model is it? I've been looking into a nice vintage pioneer myself but right now I'm busy working on 50's era mono tube amp system so that keeping busy enough as it is I've also been itching for a marantz or pioneer vintage amp to go along with my wharfdales, all in good time.

oracrest said:
nice thread! Just stumbled onto it.

I have been buying vinyl exclusively for a couple of years now.

I've been enjoying the Sonic Youth Daydream Nation album, especially the live record. very raw performances.

sonic-youth_-_daydream-nation-russi.jpg

Yes! I love the Beatles cover.

btf1980

I recently got the posters of the Hoffman/Gray 45 rpm Blue Note series framed. I like it.

DSC_0007-26.jpg

DSC_0005-30.jpg

Also picked up...

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Drum Suite
DSC_0004-30.jpg

Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section
DSC_0008-22.jpg

Midas

btf1980 said:
I recently got the posters of the Hoffman/Gray 45 rpm Blue Note series framed. I like it.

What should one listen to who never really listened to the stuff you're listening too? I recognize the names but where do you think I should start? :)

Top Bottom