• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
There's the Cambridge Audio 540P, but take it from someone who knows what he's talking about: The NAD is the way to go for the price.

If you're looking to spend more then there are a few other options.

AlkalineSolo

Neo Member
Yeah i've been collecting for about 2 years now. just got some nice gaslight anthem lps and some dillinger four.

vinylcollective.com is a great place for punk/folk collectors

Kawaii

I have been a collector for some time now too and I have build a small collection, i'll post some pictures one of these days, but i've got astupid question.

How the hell do i play these 7" singles on my normal record player?
mini-IMG_1139.jpg

Kawaii said:
I have been a collector for some time now too and I have build a small collection, i'll post some pictures one of these days, but i've got stupid question.

How the hell do i play these 7" singles on my normal record player?

my.php
my.php

You need a "spindle adapter".

Like this: http://www.juno.co.uk/products/248492-01.htm

Every record shop should have one of those. Or you check Ebay.

Some record players come with those things:

l_00069223.jpg

See that round silver thing in the left top corner? You can take it off and put it on the pin in the middle of the player.

Eric P

joelseph said:
its great until you got to move it!

ha.

i just did back in october. most of my stuff is books and vinyl. it was rather a pain in the ass to be honest.

i just found out that a great deal of the blue note jazz lp's i love have been quietly re-released at a low price point of just $12. Much better deals than the Columbia re-releases for $20.

theBishop

Banned
I got a new turntable:
96yr7n.jpg

I wasn't dissatisfied with my vintage Yamaha player, but I felt like it was time for an upgrade. This is a pretty nice upgrade. I haven't done an A/B comparison yet, but I can definitely hear more definition from low to high. The lows especially sound really slick, even on my fairly cheap Onkyo home theater kit.

I demoed the Rega P2, which is $300 more. Went with the P1 ($400). The build quality was better, but i didn't hear a huge difference in the sound. I'll probably upgrade to the P3 in a few years.

It's going to take a little getting used to the manual player. I'm really worried i'm going to leave it playing and grind down the stylus.

Kawaii

Graf Nudu said:
You need a "spindle adapter".

Like this: http://www.juno.co.uk/products/248492-01.htm

Every record shop should have one of those. Or you check Ebay.

Some record players come with those things:

IMG]http://pan3.fotovista.com/dev/3/2/00069223/l_00069223.jpg[/IMG

See that round silver thing in the left top corner? You can take it off and put it on the pin in the middle of the player.

Ah, thanks!

[/late reply]

theBishop said:
I got a new turntable:
96yr7n.jpg

I wasn't dissatisfied with my vintage Yamaha player, but I felt like it was time for an upgrade. This is a pretty nice upgrade. I haven't done an A/B comparison yet, but I can definitely hear more definition from low to high. The lows especially sound really slick, even on my fairly cheap Onkyo home theater kit.

I demoed the Rega P2, which is $300 more. Went with the P1 ($400). The build quality was better, but i didn't hear a huge difference in the sound. I'll probably upgrade to the P3 in a few years.

It's going to take a little getting used to the manual player. I'm really worried i'm going to leave it playing and grind down the stylus.

great table! if you want to make it sound even better get teh audio technica AT440mla, its a fantastic cartridge best in its class.

http://www.jr.com/audio-technica-at440mla-cartridge/pe/AT_AT440MLA/

Desperado

e0jwg4.jpg

I just picked up a Pioneer PL-112D turntable off eBay. I'm looking for relatively inexpensive options for a cartridge, phono stage, and pre-amp...suggestions please?

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Desperado said:
I just picked up a Pioneer PL-112D turntable off eBay. I'm looking for relatively inexpensive options for a cartridge, phono stage, and pre-amp...suggestions please?

Phonostage: NAD PP3
Cartridge: Ortofon 2M Red moving magnet

I think you're confusing the phonostage and the preamp: a phonostage is a preamp, just one only for turntables. Do you already have an amp? If so all you need is the above recommendations.

Desperado

Witchfinder General said:

I think you're confusing the phonostage and the preamp: a phonostage is a preamp, just one only for turntables. Do you already have an amp? If so all you need is the above recommendations.

I am a little confused, I suppose. I don't have a stereo system - currently, I just listen to my music via iTunes/PC speakers. My vinyl setup is going to be self-contained. I have the turntable and (not powered) speakers accounted for at this point. So, I need the stuff that goes in between - a phono stage and a receiver/amp?

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Desperado said:
I am a little confused, I suppose. I don't have a stereo system - currently, I just listen to my music via iTunes/PC speakers. My vinyl setup is going to be self-contained. I have the turntable and (not powered) speakers accounted for at this point. So, I need the stuff that goes in between - a phono stage and a receiver/amp?

Ok, that clears things up then. What you should look out for in your situation is an integrated stereo amp that includes an in-built phonosatge. I would suggest the Denon PMA500AE. It's a good, solid unit that has everything you need for a fair price.

Desperado

Well, I finally got set up.

2ry2c0j.jpg

b9972b.jpg

Pioneer PL-112D turntable / Audio-Technica AT440MLa cartridge
Marantz 2220B receiver
Polk Audio S4 bookshelf speakers

Total cost: $399.57. About $100 over budget, but so worth it. :D

teepo

theBishop said:
I got a new turntable:
96yr7n.jpg

i hate you....

Heres some pics of the last vinyl i bought (not my pictures though): Melvins - (A) Senile Animal. I also have The Trilogy on vinyl by them which is an amazing set, 3 records in a triple gatefold with opposing symbols on each (Christian Cross/Satanic Pentagram etc).

Now i just need a decent stereo and turntable, the one i have is budget and awful... and runs through my PC, nasty :lol

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Happy Record Store day ladies and gents... Go out and support your local indie record shops! Lots of sales and good times in general going down today, here's a list of releases:

Akron/Family
"Everyone is Guilty" 7"
- first single from new album; unreleased b-side

Allá
Digs (EP)
- special RSD Release

Arthur Russell
"Love Is Taking Me" 2LP
-2LP (RSD exclusive)

Bad Religion
Original EP 7"
- reissue colored vinyl; 6 tracks from 1981

Ben Harper
10" "Shimmer and Shine"/"Spanish Red Wine"
-B-side, "Spanish Red Wine" is unreleased

Black Kids
Wizard of Ahhhs 10"
first time on physical format

Black Moth Super Rainbow
Born on a Day 7"
Two tracks from the forthcoming studio recorded album, Eating Us

Blitzen Trapper
"War is Placebo/Booksmart"
7" - two exclusive tracks w/die cut sleeve

Bob Dylan
7"--"Dreaming of You"/"Down Along the Cove"
tracks recorded live at Bonnaroo; packaged in clear sleeve with 3x5 photo

Booker T
"Warped Sister/Reunion Time"

Brandi Carlile
7" single "Downpour"/"A Promise To Keep"
“Downpour” is the live track recorded in Boston

Bruce Springsteen
7" "What Love Can Do"/"A Night With The Jersey Devil"
packaged in clear sleeve with 3x5 photo

Camera Obscura
"French Navy" 7"

Chicha Libre & Dengue Fever
Primavera En La Selva / Genjer Genjer (Split 7" Single)

Cold War Kids
Live at Fingerprints
5 song EP

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Deja Vu Live 2LP
Companion vinyl to the DVD

Cursive/Ladyfinger
Split 10" picture disc
four songs, two unreleased and two new

Dandy Warhols
Remix CD #2

Death Cab For Cutie
T-Shirt
exclusive design for Record Store Day

Dead Weather
Hang You From the Heavens 7"
Jack White's new band! The debut release from both the Dead Weather and Third Man Records

Def Jam 25: Volume 1 and 2
4 LP gatefold history of Def Jam, only physical version of this piece is for indies

Depeche Mode
7" "Wrong"/"Oh Well"

Derek Trucks
Already Live EP
five previously unreleased live tracks from the 2008 tour

Dr. Dog/Floating Action
Split 7" exclusive

El Grupo Nuevo de Omar Rodriguez Lopez
“Cryptomnesia” Limited Edition Vinyl for RSD (3,000 pieces)

Elvis Costello
"Complicated Shadows"/"Dirty Rotten Shame" picture disc
"Dirty Rotten Shame" is exclusive track--previously unreleased

Elvis Perkins
"Lorraine Lookout" 7"
two tracks, one unreleased

Flaming Lips/Black Keys
split 7" "Borderline"/"Her Eyes Are A Blue Million Miles"

Flight of the Conchords
"Pencils In The Wind"/"Albi The"

Gaslight Anthem
Live from Park Ave 10"
6 tracks

Grateful Dead
T-Shirt

Grizzly Bear
Live on KCRW 7"
two tracks, "While You Wait For The Others"/"He Hit Me"

Gomez
Airstream Driver 7"
non-album b side

Guided By Voices
Hold On Hope LP
Three bonus tracks

Heaven & Hell
7" "Bible Black" / Neon Knights (Live)
Created exclusively for Record Store Day

Iron and Wine
Norfolk 6-20-05 Live
18 track CD recorded on the Woman King tour

Jane's Addiction
7" "Mountain Song" / "Standing in the Shower…Thinking"

Mtn. Song/Standing In The Shower
Packaged in original replica picture sleeve

Jason Mraz
T-Shirt

Jenny Lewis/Elvis Costello
7" --"Carpet Baggers"/"Go Away"
Never before available in the US

Jesus Lizard
9 x 7" pack
A pack of nine 7"s

King Crimson
40th Anniversary Tour Box
exclusive for Record Store Day

Leonard Cohen
7" "The Future/"Suzanne"
tracks recorded live in London, packaged in clear sleeve with 3x5 photo

Loney Dear/Andrew Bird
7" - hand-silk screened covers; tour & mail order item

Lykke Li/El Perro Del Mar
7" "After Laughter (Comes Tears)" / "At Your Best (You are Love)"
Made exclusively for Record Store Day featuring two unreleased cover songs.

Magnolia Electric Co
"It's Made Me Cry" 7"
Jason Molina's first 7" in years

Mastodon
T-Shirt

MC 5
7" "Kick Out The Jams"/"Motor City Is Burning"
Packaged in the original rare picture sleeve, first time available since 1969

Metric
"Help I'm Alive" 7" Picture disc
"Help I'm Alive"/"Help I'm A B-Side"

Misfits
Walk Among Us LP
Pressed on 140 gram vinyl

Modest Mouse
7" --"Satelite Skin"/"Guilty Cocker Spaniels"
both tracks are brand new

My Morning Jacket
Celebracion De La Ciudad Natal CD & 2 x 10" Vinyl - 4-14 Street, Vinyl one time shot. Recorded LIVE in LOUISVILLE (at Ear X-tacy, and Waterfront Park), includes classic tracks and selections from the band's most recent GRAMMY nominated album EVIL URGES. PLEASE NOTE: double 10 inch will be a limited edition, ONE TIME pressing - We shall manufacture only what is ordered. Once it’s gone, it’s gone folks.

New Order
7" (live)
"Temptation" / "Hurt" - as and A&B side.

Neil Young
Sugar Mountain Live at Canterbury House 1968 2LP
The special vinyl package

Nickel Eye
Dying Star b/w Brandy Of The Damned (Featuring Wale) - Mark Ronson Remix

Oasis
Falling Down Remix LP

Obits
"I Can't Lose/Military Madness" 7"

Paramore
T-Shirt

Pavement
"Live in Germany 1988" LP
unreleased show from 1988

Poison The Well
Six track CD taken from 2 7" singles that the band sells on the road, and an upcoming 7" single that will be out later this spring

Pretenders
"Break Up The Pavement"/Love's…" 7"
7" - one unrelased track, and track from new album on red vinyl

Queen EP
Queen's First EP
Limited Edition, Numbered CD for the first time in the US

Radiohead
10" vinyl series (see list of titles in NOTES) THESE ARE BEING RELEASED EARLY FOR RSD: Drill, Creep, My Iron Lung, High & Dry, Fake Plastic Trees, Just, Street Spirit, Paranoid Android, Karma Police, No Surprises, Pyramid Song, 2+2=5

Regina Spektor
Begin to Hope LP
with two tracks never before available on CD or vinyl

Rivers Cuomo
Live @ Fingerprints CD and CD/DVD Combo

Russian Circles/These Arms Are Snakes
Split !2
Previously Unreleased songs on Clear Vinyl (1,000 pieces)

Silversun Pickups
Pikul 12"
exclusive release ahead of their new album

Slayer
7" single "Psychopathy Red"
packaged in special X-Files-style, "confidential" packaging

Sonic Youth/Beck
split 7" (RSD exclusive)

Sonic Youth/Jay Reatard
split 7" (RSD exclusive)

Sublime
"Superstar Punani"/April 29, 1992" 7"
7" single with 2 live tracks, first time on vinyl

Taking Back Sunday
7" "Carpathia/Catholic" (live)

Talking Heads
77 LP [reissue]
Pressed on 180 gram vinyl

The Color Fred
The Intervention CD EP
six acoustic tracks--four new

The Decemberists
7" "The Rake's Song"/"East India Lanes"
B-side, "East India Lanes" is unreleased

The Smiths
7" "The Headmaster Ritual" /"Oscillate Widly"
Never before available in the US as a 7" single.

The Stooges
7" "1969"/"Real Cool Time"
Packaged in the original rare picture sleeve

Thermals/Thao
Get Down Stay Down split 7"
Get Down Stay Down (4 tracks unreleased)

Tift Merritt
Buckingham Solo CD
recorded live at a church; Tift solo with piano and guitar

Tom Waits
"Live from the Glitterdome" 7"
7" - live tracks from Atlanta & Edinburgh

Underoath
T-Shirt exclusive design for Record Store Day

Various Artists
THIS LP CRASHES HARD DRIVES
Super deluxe gatefold LP (Limited to only 1,500 copies) with exclusive tracks from 10 of the finest crate digging labels out there! Includes a mix of sampler cd's, zines, catalogs, stickers, and posters, from all of these fine labels.

Various artists
Records Toreism LP
tracks from Mountain Tortoise, Trans Am, White Hills, Double Dagger

Various artists
So Indie It Hurts: ROIR Rocks! Vol. One

Vetiver
"Wishing Well"/"Pay No Mind" 7"
7" - two semi-exclusive non-album tracks w/diecut sleeve

Whiskeytown
7" single - San Atone b/w Great Divide (unreleased tracks)

Wilco
Ashes of American Flags DVD
DVD is released with an exclusive window of two weeks for indie stores and mail order

Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs
It’s Blitz LP
vinyl version of forthcoming Yeah Yeah Yeahs CD

Seth C

I just got my first "modern" vinyl, "Pretty.Odd." from Panic at the Disco. It sounds so lovely after only having old, second-hand albums to listen to.

Witchfinder General said:

get the cambridge 640p instead, its a better phono stage then the NAD, do a google search you will see it is very very popular

FnordChan

I recently posted this in the April general music thread, but when I saw the vinyl thread get bumped I thought it might be of interest to some folks here as well. And, hey, shameless recycling!

ppu_pack00.jpg

In a recent fit of temporary insanity I ordered the entire catalog of People's Potential Unlimited, a small vinyl-only label that has been licensing and reissuing an impressive selection of deeply obscure disco, boogie, and funk from the early 80s, with a few new releases thrown in for good measure. I'd encountered these at the radio station I volunteer at and was completely blown away. While I generally prefer to stick with CDs, in this case I couldn't resist.

initials_postcard-3.jpg

The whole shebang turned out to be ten 45s and three 12-inches, and there's not a dud in the bunch. Some highlights include the Minority Band laying down the funk from the Jersey shore, a bit of social consciousness and spacey funk sounds from two professional MLB players who recorded as Ballplayers in their spare time, disco soul from acts like T.M.S. and Initials, and surprises such as new mixes of Henri Rich's "Be You" by DJ Cuebism.

All in all it's pretty fantastic. I've been sitting here relaxing and flipping records while writing up this post and it's a fine way to spend an evening. For anyone interested in obscure corners of the R&B scene of the early 80s who enjoys collecting vinyl, I can't recommend these releases enough. Head over to their website, listen to the sound samples, and check it out.

FnordChan

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Winged Creature said:
get the cambridge 640p instead, its a better phono stage then the NAD, do a google search you will see it is very very popular

Fuck what the internet says. I've been selling both brands for years and know them both very well. Take it from someone who knows what the fuck they're talking about; the NAD sounds better.

nitewulf

The Virgin Megastore at Union Square, NYC is going out of business, so they're selling off everything...currently all records are 20% off, better pick up what you want. Their Vinyl selection is extensive.

birdman

Well blame space, I've got a treat that I know you'll appreciate. I picked it up a few months ago from a local vinyl shop:

aoxrev.jpg

This is a one(well, 10,000)-of-a-kind Into The Unknown record from Bad Religion's less loved of times which has a bit of new wave prog sound to it. So awesome that the band broke up after recording it. It's the pride and joy of my collection.

birdman said:
Well blame space, I've got a treat that I know you'll appreciate. I picked it up a few months ago from a local vinyl shop:

http://i43.tinypic.com/aoxrev.jpg

This is a one(well, 10,000)-of-a-kind Into The Unknown record from Bad Religion's less loved of times which has a bit of new wave prog sound to it. So awesome that the band broke up after recording it. It's the pride and joy of my collection.

:D Nice! Definitely not their best, but nice nonetheless. I actually don't own any BR on vinyl, I should change that.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
I'm been meaning to post in this topic for a while, but I wanted to wait until I got photos. Still haven't got them, but hopefully I can do that in a week. I've spend the last few days helping my dad organize his record collection. I'm working on the rock/pop and jazz while he does the classical. I'm trying to organize it by artist and then year, and it has been alot of fun. I bought about 30 albums this past week, most of them were 75 cents.

Arcade Fire - Funeral
Belle & Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister
Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town, The River, & The Wild, Innocent, & the E Street Shuffle
Gary Numan - The Pleasure Principle
B-52s - Cosmic Thing
West Side Story, A Chorus Line, My Fair Lady soundtracks
Judy at Carneige Hall
Fleetwood Mac - S/T and Rumors
Village People - Crusin'
Ray Charles - Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music
Huey Lewis & The News - Sports
Men At Work - Business As Usual
Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair
The Band - S/T and North Lights Southern Cross
Toto - IV
Various Christmas Albums from Nat King Cole & Julie Andrews
Paul Simon - Rhymin' Simon & Still Crazy After all these Years
Simon & Garfunkel - Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, & Thyme
The Cars - S/T
Stevie Wonder - Talking Book & Innerversions
James Taylor - Greatest Hits
George Throughgood - Move It On Over

Pictures my pieces of my dad's collection a story about it will follow.

that looks awesome winged creature

im a big vinyl fan but i have since stopped mainly due to lack of money and for a while records were taking up alot of space. i have got rid of most of mine now didnt have the time to list them all on ebay so dropped off quite a few boxes at ameoba. about to start listing the library records i have on ebay in the coming weeks. if you are a fan of mp2000 (have quite a few janko nilovic) KPM and the like. its kind of a niche but their maybe other library heads around gaf. i have a list of some of the records im selling its out of date because most of them i sold already except the library records and some of the harder to find hiphop and the still sealed stuff but i do have pictures and sound samples. the list is here. if you are interested in anything let me know

Just got these in today:
9qab81.jpg

-Panda Bear - Person Pitch
-Daft Punk - Homework (with a glorious emboss on the logo)
-Bon Iver - For Emma
-Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles

nny

I'm looking into a record player (with USB for mp3 conversion), and the store I went to has these two models:

Sony PS-LX300USB (around 150 €)

Denon DP-200USB (around 250€)

By looking at the price, I'm assuming the Denon is better, so I'm more inclined to get it, is it a good player, vinyl experts? or there are better options around that price?

miyuru said:
The latest vinyl I got (not my pic):

2056549667_210e5fec75_o.jpg

Pic is b/w, but the vinyl is actually pink, pretty cool.
Great, great, GREAT album. Got it on Vinyl too, but mines just the standard black.

A side question: Where do you buys most of your vinyl? I mostly go to the Record store here, but I've got a feeling they're pretty much ripping me off.

Arjen

I'm not that much into buying records as i used to be, but i still really enjoy my vinyl collection

Set-up + collection
2hwzdq9.jpg

2 of my favorite records

10e30hx.jpg

btf1980

Been collecting and listening to a lot of the Blue Note 45 RPM reissues by Music Matters and Analog Productions mastered by Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray. I have all the Music Matters titles, and most of the Analog Productions one. At $50, it adds up quickly.

Link to all the Music Matters titles.
http://www.musicmattersjazz.com/titles.html

Here are some of them.

DSC_0022-2.jpg

DSC_0025-1.jpg

DSC_0026-1.jpg

DSC_0003-18.jpg

DSC_0005-17.jpg

DSC_0004-12.jpg

All together, I think I have a shade under 3,000 records.

Here's my turntable and system.

DSC_0015-7.jpg

DSC_0018-6.jpg

DSC_0005-19.jpg

DSC_0005-13.jpg

DSC_0008-14.jpg

DSC_0013-7.jpg

See the rest of the pics here.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=btf1980&folderid=338#

Alucrid

Banned
Where has this thread been for my (short) tenure at GAF? Anyways the only 7"s I have are left overs from my parents, mainly Beatles. I myself own a few 12"s though and a few of them play at 33 RPMs. My latest buy was Minus the Bear - Highly Refined Pirates.

taylor910

I inherited a nice collection of records from my parents a while back. I am really interested in getting an old phonograph with a horn to display/play the records on.

Only problem is I can only find replicas, nothing original...Is it worth it to buy a replica? Do they even sound good? Loud enough?

I picked up Bob Seger - Live Bullet and Night Moves and Talking Heads - The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads at a record exchange for like $7 total. I was ridiculously excited, especially about the Talking Heads album. They were so good live.

Top Bottom