• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
This wait is killing me. I need to be up for work in 5 hours.
Ugh i know. I'm ready to say fuck it... But I want it. I'll wait 15 more minutes and then I'm out. I gotta be functional at work to support my record collection financially :p

wenis

Man I'm bad at time conversion. The Internet needs its own time or just stop making this ish limited and let me order it already. Maybe it is tomorrow at 8am (PST)

wenis

I'm up now. Keep refreshing the page, really hoping my buses wifi holds up to the onslaught.

Erekiddo

I'm at work running off of less than 4 hours sleep.. C'mon, c'mon.

NeoGAF Pro Tip: Have your credit card typed into a notepad document and keep it CTRL A'd, so you can just copy paste with ease!

omgkitty

I'm at work running off of less than 4 hours sleep.. C'mon, c'mon.

NeoGAF Pro Tip: Have your credit card typed into a notepad document and keep it CTRL A'd, so you can just copy paste with ease!

Or use Chrome and save it in your settings and it will auto fill for you ;)

Erekiddo

Or use Chrome and save it in your settings and it will auto fill for you ;)

gamepro5.gif

otapnam

Hey vinyl gaf any record store recs for portland? Ill up there next weekend. Wouldn't mind finding more current stuff ( within last 15 years). Im always good with the classics though. And a place with good pricing is even better :)

Staying downtownish. Probably wont rent a car unless we need to

wenis

Yep, my order went through on Version B! very happy at the moment :)

Shaun-Of-The-Dead-Cheers.gif

and now the store says version B is sold out... WHEW.

that was intense.

Erekiddo

It came back in stock temporarily. I was able to get a B!

I'm tempted to order another black, so I can 'hopefully" have all three. With my luck, I'd get 2 blacks though.

Oh crap, I almost missed the most exciting new release of today...

that being, of course, the new BUCK BILOXI AND THE FUCKS LP on Total Punk, sold out in minutes!
b4de4230-6e61-4219-9b87-0fdc0b723555.png

amnesiac

What's the most you've spent on a single album? Just paid $60 for this, one of my favorites.

Ben Folds Five - Whatever Ever And Amen

Last edited:

pablito

What's the most you've spent on a single album? Just paid $60 for this, one of my favorites.

$90 for Lil Ugly Mane - Mista Thug Isolation

Got it for "cheap" though since at the time it was normally $150, and the only copy on Discogs is $277.

My wallet is going to cry when I start buying Neurosis records. My 2 favorites are $150-200.

robotrock

Banned
$90 for Lil Ugly Mane - Mista Thug Isolation

Got it for "cheap" though since at the time it was normally $150, and the only copy on Discogs is $277.

My wallet is going to cry when I start buying Neurosis records. My 2 favorites are $150-200.

I'm glad they just reissued Mista Thug Isolation because the prices for it are crazy now

pablito

Definitely. Would be cool if the boxset art matches the new art Ugly Mane did for the reissue, so that it all goes together.

Cool just found this thread.
I grew up with a record player and my parents have tons of records. I credit them with my wide range of taste in music. I found a record player at a yard sale for $5 about 6 months ago and raided the local thrift store for records. My collecting is on hold atm until I set up a space for everything, but in the mean time here's some pics if anyone's curious.

AwNoU0C.jpg

JVC QL-A2 my reciever has a phono input, but I still have to crank the volume alot higher than any other input to get good listening volumes.

Some of my collection.
I1PumNm.png

EopfALf.png

BGtJjsE.png

AiBw4LE.png

8bit

Knows the Score
Cool just found this thread.
I grew up with a record player and my parents have tons of records. I credit them with my wide range of taste in music. I found a record player at a yard sale for $5 about 6 months ago and raided the local thrift store for records. My collecting is on hold atm until I set up a space for everything, but in the mean time here's some pics if anyone's curious.

AwNoU0C.jpg

Looks like you're missing a screw on that headshell.

nitewulf

My most expensive ones are the audiophile pressings:

Someday My Prince will Come - Miles Davis
Julie is her name - Julie London
Neil Young's Greatest Hits

and a lot of $30 - $40 jazz lps. I'm mostly into jazz, old Blue Notes, Impulse!, Verve, Prestige, Riverside...I grab whatever older pressings I find in decent quality.

Hi GAF, I hope this is an OK thread to ask this:

I want to buy a REGA - RP1 (my first TT ever), and I am trying to understand all the components I need.

Google tells me I need a PHONO to LINE conversion (pre-amp), and after that a powered amp.

I currently have Audioengine A2 powered speakers that I plan on using with the REGA. So, if I am understanding correctly, I just need a pre-amp and then I'm good to go?

(TT > Pre-AMP > A2)

If this is correct, does anybody have a budget pre-amp recommendation?

nitewulf

I want to buy a REGA - RP1 (my first TT ever), and I am trying to understand all the components I need.

Google tells me I need a PHONO to LINE conversion (pre-amp), and after that a powered amp.

I currently have Audioengine A2 powered speakers that I plan on using with the REGA. So, if I am understanding correctly, I just need a pre-amp and then I'm good to go?

(TT > Pre-AMP > A2)

You need either a pre amp with phono inputs or a dedicated phono preamp, since you don't need an amp to power the speakers. but you definitely need the phono input, not all pre amps have the input.

you can go for something like this:
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-241170-nad-pp2e-phono-preamp.aspx

or a preamp woth phono input:
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-151422-nad-c165bee-preamp.aspx

best bet is to scour ebay for vintage brands:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-SX-...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item58b57b610a

try for Sansui, Pioneer, Denon, Yamaha, Phillips, if you get lucky maybe Marantz.

andylsun

but I still have to crank the volume alot higher than any other input to get good listening volumes.

Check you've not using a Moving Coil Cartridge on a Moving Magnet input on your amp.

What stylus and cartridge is installed? The Sony amp looks like it will be MM only.

andylsun

(TT > Pre-AMP > A2)

ART DJ Pre 2 is not a bad budget pre-amp. Got some nice features like variable gain, low cut filter and isn't that expensive.

You need either a pre amp with phono inputs or a dedicated phono preamp, since you don't need an amp to power the speakers. but you definitely need the phono input, not all pre amps have the input.

you can go for something like this:
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-241170-nad-pp2e-phono-preamp.aspx

ART DJ Pre 2 is not a bad budget pre-amp. Got some nice features like variable gain, low cut filter and isn't that expensive.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Top Bottom