• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Not sure if anyone's into Wilco or not but they're releasing a boxset of rarities (mostly b-sides and EPs it looks like) on 4x LP. Each LP is numbered, limited to 7000 so I'm not sure if it's available anywhere besides here.

po8Z0MX.jpg

CRS

Holy shit 40 bucks. Still worth it knowing how much copies go for now.

Want to hold off a bit but I have no idea how quickly these are going to go.

zerotol

Banned
it's actually sickening how nice every piece of every Numero package is. I went into their RSD popup with no money. worse than any torture.

The amount or research Numero do and the quality of their stuff is pretty awesome. I know how much work they put into the Unwound reissue sets thus far and what's still to come. It must be a labor of love for the people that run that label and I imagine the rest of their catalog is just as impressive.

big ander

The amount or research Numero do and the quality of their stuff is pretty awesome. I know how much work they put into the Unwound reissue sets thus far and what's still to come. It must be a labor of love for the people that run that label and I imagine the rest of their catalog is just as impressive.

It seems to be completely a passion thing for them. like, I really love their comp Buttons. it's very specific: Illinois power pop rarities. the bands are all nobodies but the collection of songs is astounding and informative.

It seems to be completely a passion thing for them. like, I really love their comp Buttons. it's very specific: Illinois power pop rarities. the bands are all nobodies but the collection of songs is astounding and informative.

The Buttons series, for example, were compiled by people not really affiliated with the Numero Group itself (I guess, sort of contracted by the them), which only makes sense: you don't make products about things that you don't know shit about :) If you want a good power pop comp, you go straight down to the source: 100% power pop wimps hehe.

As you liked the Buttons and might want to venture down further on to (unknown) power pop classics, Powerpearls comps are a good starting point: http://www.soybomb.com/KilledByHype/pearls.html

They won't have the glitz and glamour of say, the Numero Group records, with their photocopied sleeves and so on, but as far as the music go, they are pretty much essential.

zerotol

Banned
The Buttons series, for example, were compiled by people not really affiliated with the Numero Group itself (I guess, sort of contracted by the them), which only makes sense: you don't make products about things that you don't know shit about :) If you want a good power pop comp, you go straight down to the source: 100% power pop wimps hehe.

As you liked the Buttons and might want to venture down further on to (unknown) power pop classics, Powerpearls comps are a good starting point: http://www.soybomb.com/KilledByHype/pearls.html

They won't have the glitz and glamour of say, the Numero Group records, with their photocopied sleeves and so on, but as far as the music go, they are pretty much essential.

Why take jabs at numero? Seems strange.

I wasn't taking jabs at Numero? Sorry if that came out that way: I meant that the Buttons comps are very well done because the comps are compiled by guys how actually know their shit through and through. But the power pop comps (unlike the Soul/Funk stuff iirc) weren't done "in house", aside from reaching out for the guys and so on. The wimp comment was a compliment too :p

Compare them to something like the recent Soul Jazz rare punk comps, which are pretty much meat and potatoes stuff as far as rare punk records go. Of course that doesn't make the comps bad.

zerotol

Banned
I wasn't taking jabs at Numero? Sorry if that came out that way: I meant that the Buttons comps are very well done because the comps are compiled by guys how actually know their shit through and through. But the power pop comps (unlike the Soul/Funk stuff iirc) weren't done "in house", aside from reaching out for the guys and so on. The wimp comment was a compliment too :p

Compare them to something like the recent Soul Jazz rare punk comps, which are pretty much meat and potatoes stuff as far as rare punk records go. Of course that doesn't make the comps bad.

I misunderstood your post, sorry :(

amnesiac

Holy shit 40 bucks. Still worth it knowing how much copies go for now.

Want to hold off a bit but I have no idea how quickly these are going to go.

Awesome! Done and ordered! Thank you!

The original pressing was Europe only & numbered though, no? Doesn't seem to mention numbering in the listing.

Oh dear. So don't need this but ordered anyway.

Got the UK Double CD already.

Edit: Damn, strayed into the headphone thread. Harman Kardon CL's ordered and on the way ($59 at Amazon today).

Well, apparently it turns out there were some leftover original pressings and now they are all sold out.

swoon

becuase they release 40 plus records in the last two year and are moving to increasingly un-consumer, un-record store friendly methods producing records? just look at the bedhead release or the way they are expanding on unwound? not to mention they aren't as focused or as detailed as they once were.

zerotol

Banned
becuase they release 40 plus records in the last two year and are moving to increasingly un-consumer, un-record store friendly methods producing records? just look at the bedhead release or the way they are expanding on unwound? not to mention they aren't as focused or as detailed as they once were.

What is your gripe about the unwound stuff? They asked Justin if they could reissue the unwound catalog and he told them they could and gave them access to all his archival stuff. KRS certainly weren't gonna do it.

swoon

What is your gripe about the unwound stuff? They asked Justin if they could reissue the unwound catalog and he told them they could and gave them access to all his archival stuff. KRS certainly weren't gonna do it.

i think it's too bloated (4 volumes really?)for something still in print and all the really interesting bonus material are online-only preorders or RSD.

also it be even more interesting if it was just post-hardcore from olympia or something interesting and new a la the buttons or soul comps. this is more important as reissue culture moves into the era where i was actively in the musical scene.

it's just all too much - lita is a lot worse at this with their 4 tiers of releases and withholding albums- but i see numero moving to a rolling subscription as the end of my passion with that label.

zerotol

Banned
i think it's too bloated (4 volumes really?)for something still in print and all the really interesting bonus material are online-only preorders or RSD.

also it be even more interesting if it was just post-hardcore from olympia or something interesting and new a la the buttons or soul comps. this is more important as reissue culture moves into the era where i was actively in the musical scene.

it's just all too much - lita is a lot worse at this with their 4 tiers of releases and withholding albums- but i see numero moving to a rolling subscription as the end of my passion with that label.

Dude, it's their lp's being reissued. 2 reissues and a 3rd LP of bonus stuff per box at $40. 4 boxes released over two years. I'd hardly call that bloated.

What 'post hardcore' olympia bands from that era do you think should be getting releases?

CRS

Well, apparently it turns out there were some leftover original pressings and now they are all sold out.

Nice! Got one anyways and I'm glad I did! And if they really are going for around $250/300, this might be my 2nd most expensive LP now.

big ander

I don't buy reissues often enough for it to really bug me, but I do think Numero's strategy is off-putting. the Bedhead set not going to stores is dumb, for example.

Ah I didn't know the Buttons people weren't directly Numero guys-- I will definitely check out these comps.

swoon

Dude, it's their lp's being reissued. 2 reissues and a 3rd LP of bonus stuff per box at $40. 4 boxes released over two years. I'd hardly call that bloated.

What 'post hardcore' olympia bands from that era do you think should be getting releases?

well it's 4 volumes, plus three extra lps and one rsd release and they charge you an extra 10 dollars if you want the bonus, because if you are dropping 200 dollars already, why wouldn't you pay 30 more dollars for the live albums? but those are online only, sorry record store owner. that's the issue. and it's just one of 40 other albums they are putting out this year. maybe they'll put them all out as 15$ singe records like they did with syl johnson and codeine.

karp, satisfact, lync and like the billion of random bands opening of the big guys. just do buttons but for 90's music. at least that would be more interesting and a wide-open market.

zerotol

Banned
well it's 4 volumes, plus three extra lps and one rsd release and they charge you an extra 10 dollars if you want the bonus, because if you are dropping 200 dollars already, why wouldn't you pay 30 more dollars for the live albums? but those are online only, sorry record store owner. that's the issue. and it's just one of 40 other albums they are putting out this year. maybe they'll put them all out as 15$ singe records like they did with syl johnson and codeine.

karp, satisfact, lync and like the billion of random bands opening of the big guys. just do buttons but for 90's music. at least that would be more interesting and a wide-open market.

The Karp vinyl was/is going to be reissued by K. Calvin told me that himself. But I'd be surprised if it actually happens. There was talk of putting out some unreleased stuff as well but that too most likey won't ever happen.

Calvin has a huge archive of stuff. I imagine Slim Moon does too but he stopped doing KRS and went to seminary school.

There was a double LP released recently that's a comp of obscure NW late 80s early 90s bands. I can't recall the name of it but the lineup was kinda odd.

swoon

The Karp vinyl was/is going to be reissued by K. Calvin told me that himself. But I'd be surprised if it actually happens. There was talk of putting out some unreleased stuff as well but that too most likey won't ever happen.

Calvin has a huge archive of stuff. I imagine Slim Moon does too but he stopped doing KRS and went to seminary school.

There was a double LP released recently that's a comp of obscure NW late 80s early 90s bands. I can't recall the name of it but the lineup was kinda odd.

i don't have the problem that numero did this instead of krs, which you seeming to imply, but how it was done and the value. unless egging me on to talk about hanging out with mac and laura and talking about east river pipe.

robotrock

Banned
Credit card fraud sucks, man. Someone used my card to purchase $700 worth of furniture, so I had to cancel the card. Because of this, the card is dead, and the Tron Legacy OST will have nothing to charge when it ships. I will most likely no longer obtain the one Daft Punk release on vinyl that I do not already own. At least it was fun to fantasize about it!

kris.

Banned
got my copy of IKSSE:3 today, grey swirl. merchnow didn't send a confirmation email that it got shipped so it just showed up out of the blue at work.

dying of happiness atm, got a copy of my favorite album and nothing else matters

God fucking hell, RSD just keeps getting more stupid.

The Ramones
Morrissey Curates The Ramones

DETAILS
Format: 12" Vinyl
Label: Rhino/Sire
Release type: RSD Exclusive Release
More Info:

Morrissey, being a big Ramones fan, particularly of the early years, had always wanted to compile a "best of" album and this year he got his wish. This compilation reflects Morrissey's experience of listening to the band for the first time. With the sad passing of Tommy recently, both management and Morrissey felt this was a fitting tribute. The use of the Union Jack on the cover reflects both how important the band were to the UK music scene but also how the UK embraced them and their sound. The photo on the back cover by Danny Fitzgerald is evocative of the period and was selected by Morrissey.

1391597_10152840888423846_3883588227921253859_n.jpg

nitewulf

uh...that's the jackass Morrissey i know! so what happened exactly, he later became a fan? Wouldn't that sort of a review be fairly well known?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Someone claiming to be with a(n unnamed) record label messaged me on Discogs about "borrowing" a copy of a vinyl I have in order to assist their company with remastering it for an upcoming reissue. I'm hesitant right now because a) he has a gmail address versus one that's associated with an actual label (no matter how small the business, wouldn't that be commonplace?) and b) it's pretty valuable. The only copy for sale on Discogs right now is almost $700, so obviously I don't want to just send it out to someone as a loaner, particularly if it actually will be reissued, thus making mine worth much less money.

Thoughts on what I do here?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
St. Vincent is releasing two tracks on RSD.

I'm sure Wenis is interested. I don't know if I'll be able to grab them :[

HELL YEA!

no idea though if I'll be near a record shop during thanksgiving though. my parents live in bum fuck nowhere and the nearest shop would be a good hour and a half drive. Then I'd be lucky if the shop was participating.

Someone claiming to be with a(n unnamed) record label messaged me on Discogs about "borrowing" a copy of a vinyl I have in order to assist their company with remastering it for an upcoming reissue. I'm hesitant right now because a) he has a gmail address versus one that's associated with an actual label (no matter how small the business, wouldn't that be commonplace?) and b) it's pretty valuable. The only copy for sale on Discogs right now is almost $700, so obviously I don't want to just send it out to someone as a loaner, particularly if it actually will be reissued, thus making mine worth much less money.

If they're legitimately serious ask for identification of the label, label reps, someone in their legal department and then I'd ask for collateral before the record shipped off to them.

Sounds fishy as shit, so make it tough for them to prove this stuff if they are full of shit. if they aren't they'd probably do all this quickly and things would seem on the up and up.

BenN

Not sure if you are willing to share, but a little more info could help. A lot of smaller labels do use g-mail addresses - its not that uncommon.
Name of the label/business could help. Also curious about the record!

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Not sure if you are willing to share, but a little more info could help. A lot of smaller labels do use g-mail addresses - its not that uncommon.
Name of the label/business could help. Also curious about the record!

That's the thing: he didn't even give me the name of the record label, just a quick mention that they're based in NYC.

...while the masters Columbia Japan provided me with are of good enough quality to remaster from, we're also thinking to use a good quality vinyl copy to transfer from. I would be amenable to a number of different options if you have a copy and would be interested in providing it on loan (for some compensation/credit as well is fine)- if you're not comfortable with that, that's fine too! Pretty sure if done in the states we'll use a vinyl transfer, otherwise I'll use dubplates and mastering. Let me know what you think! I'm out of nyc.

I suppose it can't hurt to ask for credentials and what sort of compensation they can offer.

Like others said, many small labels use GMail as their mailing address, there's nothing fishy about that. But always you can (and should) ask for more credentials.

Top Bottom