• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sudeki - Gamespot review (6.8??)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Nope, worse

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/sudeki/review.html

"Sudeki can be completed in fewer than 20 hours of play, though you can spend a bit of extra time filling out the side quests and acquiring all the available weapons--if you like. The game may be easy on the eyes, but the clunky battle system strips much of the fun from this title, and the sometimes horrifying voice acting will scare you away from attempting to lose yourself in the story by talking to all the people you encounter. Sudeki is, unfortunately, more style than substance. Those longing for a meaty Xbox action RPG should only consider this game for a rental."

belgurdo

Banned
I'm finding the review hard to swallow, especially after the tons of reports (and personal testimony) that the combat is awesome

Teddman

I liked the battle system, that seems to be the main thing going for the game. Odd that Gamespot would single that out as if it's the deal breaker, since most other negative reviews said the combat was one of the sole redeeming qualities...

Quick:

Hive report! We cannot have anybody thinking that Sudeki is anything but an awesome game that is simply misunderstood.

Wasn't there a funny DOS like animated GIF that was used for the Gamecube damage control that could be modified for this situation?

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.
6.5? The game is definetly better then that.

For some reason the game gives me that Dungeon Siege feeling,even though the battle systems couldnt be more different(in fact you could go and have some cofee and and DS would continue playing for you,and do it succesfully)

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.
sonycowboy said:
Quick:

Hive report! We cannot have anybody thinking that Sudeki is anything but an awesome game that is simply misunderstood.

Wasn't there a funny DOS like animated GIF that was used for the Gamecube damage control that could be modified for this situation?

I dont think there is anyone saying the game is great,its just not "6.5" bad.

belgurdo

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Quick:

Someone make sure to archive this for editing and quoting the next time some PS2 flavor of the month gets less than 8.5

IJoel

Woah, they completely slaughtered the game. Not surprising though.

Heh... the reviewer gave ToS an 8 in graphics, the same as she gave Sudeki.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
belgurdo said:
I'm finding the review hard to swallow, especially after the tons of reports (and personal testimony) that the combat is awesome

why don't you just play the game and see for yourself, rather than whine about reviews that disagree with what you think the game actually plays like.

----

http://chespace.1up.com

signet

I'll pick this one up at the end of the week when I get paid, I have been looing for a short RPG and 20hrs looks pretty good.

IJoel

chespace said:
why don't you just play the game and see for yourself, rather than whine about reviews that disagree with what you think the game actually plays like.

----

http://chespace.1up.com

This should apply to the countless people that have bashed the game with the 'bad art' excuse as well.

IJoel said:
This should apply to the countless people that have bashed the game with the 'bad art' excuse as well.
But you really don't have to play the game to know, and say, that the art looks like crapola. You'd have to play it to say how well the art works in the context of the actual gameplay, but otherwise there's no real need to actually boot the thing up.

are you saying the art ain't bad? It is. fugly. Nice environments but the art. Argh. And the characters make all them generic european platformer/design look brilliant.

IJoel

Kobun Heat said:
But you really don't have to play the game to know, and say, that the art looks like crapola. You'd have to play it to say how well the art works in the context of the actual gameplay, but otherwise there's no real need to actually boot the thing up.

heh...

I was merely referring to the people dismissing Sudeki as a bad game with the excuse of 'bad art' without even giving it a chance, as Che was suggesting.

As for the character art, I somewhat agree with 2 of the 4 main characters (Tal and Buki.) The other two, just look generic, though Ailish looks really good and doesn't look significantly different from, say, Kosmos from Xenosaga. If anything Ailish and Elco look somewhat generic.

are you saying the art ain't bad? It is. fugly. Nice environments but the art. Argh. And the characters make all them generic european platformer/design look brilliant.

It is a subjective thing, though I generally agree, as mentioned above. The environments are not just nice, they are great looking and certainly much better than many bland environments from praised japanese games.

Point is that it doesn't make it a bad game. Sure you might not like the art, but it sure doesn't mean the game is bad. If I had taken that stance on many games, I would be missing out on tons of great games. The most recent example is ToS. Very good game, with generic characters and bland environments. Still, it doesn't detract from the overall experience.

IJoel said:
heh...

I was merely referring to the people dismissing Sudeki as a bad game with the excuse of 'bad art' without even giving it a chance, as Che was suggesting.

As for the character art, I somewhat agree with 2 of the 4 main characters (Tal and Buki.) The other two, just look generic, though Ailish looks really good and doesn't look significantly different from, say, Kosmos from Xenosaga. If anything Ailish and Elco look somewhat generic.

Point is that it doesn't make it a bad game. Sure you might not like the art, but it sure doesn't mean the game is bad. If I had taken that stance on many games, I would be missing out on tons of great games. The most recent example is ToS. Very good game, with generic characters and bland environments. Still, it doesn't detract from the overall experience.

If Sudeki could've looked like it's actual art I don't think you'd hear nearly as much complaining. It'd basically be like ToS where there are a few people who dislike the art or just think it's generic. But not like it is now. Mainly because the characters really do look bad in game. The actual art is just generic, it's not bad or anything and certainly nothing that'd cause the amount of complaints its gotten now. It might even get more praise than ToS considering how good everything else in the game looks.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Played quite a bit of Sudeki - It's no KoTOR but it's a solid Action RPG game with a very fun combat system. I wish they had opted for no voice acting and just worked on the dialogue some.

I'd give it an 8 if you like Action RPG's.

AniHawk

GashPrex said:
Played quite a bit of Sudeki - It's no KoTOR but it's a solid Action RPG game with a very fun combat system. I wish they had opted for no voice acting and just worked on the dialogue some.

I'd give it an 8 if you like Action RPG's.

Can you turn off the VA?

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
belgurdo said:

Anyone who thinks the combat is awesome is smoking something very strong. It's like PSO (not a bad game by any means) combat. Good combat = Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, Way of the Samurai, or even Onimusha.

Actually. If Dynasty Warriors was clunkier and had a bullet time move it would be Sudeki's combat.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
signet said:
I'll pick this one up at the end of the week when I get paid, I have been looing for a short RPG and 20hrs looks pretty good.

You might as well get a second-hand SNES and buy Terranigma ro Legend of Gaia. Both far superior titles at about a third of the price. Or you could get a GBA and by Golden thingamy.

IgeL

Well, I guess my initial prediction of love/hate is somewhat more true for Sudeki than for many other games...

It just seems a little weird to me that a game I (and others) enjoy so much gets this much hate, when clearly worse games get better scores. Maybe I've found the true power of opinion.

(Ok that sucked, what I meant to say is that gamespot sucks and I love the game.)

Solid

I'll probably get this when it's cheap. It dosen't look that bad. And I tend to get curious if a game dosen't live up the hype :)

Dragoon

I'm not so sure about this. If enough people like it (which it looks like they do ^^^) then i'll get it cheap somewhere.

Sudeki yes does have some questionable art (especially when it comes to the characters) but so far I'm enjoying it. To each his own I guess.

NWO

Doom_Bringer said:
Ahhaa! wheres the xbomb picture when u need it!

xbomb.jpg

Top Bottom