• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Ex-Developer shares frustration with uglification of black female characters in the industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Also probably some of the women in the teams being petty and preventing overtly sexualized women characters because they don't look like them. Heck, even what we would consider modest is probably a no-no.

Men probably do that to a degree but no where near as much.
Nah bro, male devs dont give a damn, we see Kratos/Markus, that space marine guy we wanna play as them, no1 is worried about "female gaze" ;D

JayK47

So you think this character was designed badly?

returnal2.png

returnal-ps5-playstation-5-1.large.jpg

Considering this is her gameplay?

ezgif.com-gif-maker-71fbbdac2f1956467.gif
Yes. It was one of the reasons I passed on the game. There are other reasons as well. I feel this was the beginning of the uglification of women in video games. It has only gotten worse since. Congratulations for being a pioneer I guess.

PeteBull

Gold Member
I think chloe from detroit:become human got lucky coz she was android, ps4 graphics btw, all current gen "women" look so much worse from her :p

Edit: I mean ofc western studios developed women characters, that korean beauty from stellar blade obviously takes the crown and looks like she will keep it for a long time :D

Last edited:

Venom Snake

Beauty comes in as many different forms as it has purposes, one of which is to drive business.
As a factor of consumer satisfaction, it has not yet failed any industry, especially one that draws on the canons of biological beauty, which, unlike cultural influences, has a more universal - and therefore - business-viable reach. If any suit thinks that turning the entire market upside down for a handful of life-offended imbeciles will be a new milestone on the way to acquiring audiences and meeting the needs of shareholders, i'm already happy for their imminent demise.

Video games should not be used as a self-acceptance tool for people with mental deficits, the virtual world doesn't care, the real one outside does.
The sooner we get out of this mess, the better, for everyone.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
The fallacy of this argument is that fantasy/action/superhero characters are NOT average people. They are the top of the genetic pool,
There's a lot of problems with your argument the main one is you make a huge amount of assumptions of what you perceive an artist should or shouldn't be fucking doing about something completely subjective...

So superheroes may not be average people that does not actually mean by default they would be the top of the genetic pool, You can fucking argue somebody has a super power of amazing strength but it actually changes nothing in their appearance and they're an old man or something.
so portraying them as ugly is not only stupid but works against the purpose of the narrative.
So making them ugly or average looking would not go against the narrative if the fucking point of the damn narrative was that they're this unassuming old man that is the strongest man in the world based on some mutation.

So your problem is you lack any real creative originality you're just running on this bizarre assumption of thinking people just designed shit by the numbers of a statistic.

None in his right mind would design Captain America as a bald 5,7' guy with a soft body.

Well, not really.

That is dependent on the artist, I'm sorry but GaF has a hard time understanding any of this shit, its almost as if you think free will doesn't exist with artist or zero creative originality exist to make shit exist or something.

Someone can make Captain America a 5'5 bald fat guy and make it fit the story

Someone can make Captain America a female that is short and fit the story

Someone can make Captain America a skinny tall person annnnnnd still have it fit the story

Cause it theirs to create, alter, change etc.

So if we are to say someone is making Captain America RIGHT NOW, as in never existed before, they are the ones decided what that fucking is, not you.

So I have characters I create all the time that are boring, tame, uninteresting in regards to their look cauuuuuuuuse that is the fucking point of their character based on a story, plot, narrative etc So to hear this shit that someone MUST look this way or that was is hilarious.

When you create it, make it how you wish, but there is no fucking 1 way of creating something and this ignorance of Gaf obsessing over trying to force this idea of how something "should" look has never had any real sound, logical argument. Its merely a series of assumptions and arguments to support a by the number statistic lol

So you think this character was designed badly?

returnal2.png

returnal-ps5-playstation-5-1.large.jpg

Considering this is her gameplay?

ezgif.com-gif-maker-71fbbdac2f1956467.gif

I'm saying!

If the artist wanted a normal looking person, but in a situation where they had to do something unusual, i'm fine with her design.

Yes. It was one of the reasons I passed on the game. There are other reasons as well. I feel this was the beginning of the uglification of women
smh, that makes zero sense. The person was never made to be a model cause that doesn't have any real relevance to the game. The goal may have been to design someone that actually just looks like a normal person.....

Thats like saying you won't watch Your Honor cause you can't masterbate to

xwjzjikpeezhk3jrykoe06yw6iu.jpg

like, zomg, that is why I didn't watch the show, how come its not a instagram model or a actor that is da sexy, derrr ugliification wtf broz /s

Did it not dawn on you that maybe, juuuuuuust maybe that isn't the point to all mediums?

I mean, did you fucking things the games I played, I found any of the characters attractive? Even the fucking people some of you referenced I find ugly, yet never avoided a game based on this, cause why the fuck would I be buying a game for this reason or avoid it cause this reason? It suggest I'm buying it based on some attraction to pixels or something dumb like this.

So no sir, I didn't watch Breaking Bad cause any of the characters made me horny or are attractive or anything like that.

MV5BMTJiMzgwZTktYzZhZC00YzhhLWEzZDUtMGM2NTE4MzQ4NGFmXkEyXkFqcGdeQWpybA@@._V1_QL75_UX500_CR0,0,500,281_.jpg

So it seems gamers might be holding the medium back more then they realize this notion as it seems how horny someone makes them is now a reason to buy or not buy instead of the actual core content, narrative and point of the game.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The biggest issue with DEI and its weakness is that it convulutes a variety of unrelated issues under the same banner that conflicts with each other on its face. The only real thing that they can come together under is this mantra of "We hate how shit used to be" and coming together for a vague negative is destined to fail due to infighting and people just getting over their issues eventually.

Many of the issues, when broken out and rendered thoughtfully and tastefully as an organic element to a grander narrative are fine and will find an audience that appreciates it. Depending on what the topic is, it may never find anything that can be considered mass appeal so I don't know why the fuck anyone would invest hundreds of millions on it.

DEI as it is right now is this artificial bastardization that gobbles up the issues of these different groups and tries to mash it together as being the same thing. Then, the attempts to brow beat the general audiences (many of which don't have remotely the same issues) will fall flat on its face. Corporate shaming of the consumer does not and will never work.

It's a similar issue to intersectionality in liberal talk spaces. It attempts to create a larger thing that cannot stand as composite no matter how hard carpet baggers and grifters force it. Different groups of people have different issues.
If you look at the civil rights movement or even the gay rights movement, they won because they got organized, set goals, and solidified around some shared priorities.

That’s why these woke lunatics will never really accomplish anything. It’s just a bunch of miserable resentful people screeching about a million different and sometimes mutually incompatible issues. Everything from gender pronouns to Palestine to “underpaid” female athletes to transgender athletes to drag shows.

They’ll never agree on what their priorities are, much less get anything done. At best they’ll just vandalize and ruin everything they get their hands on.

JayK47

I have limited time to play games, and when I do play I want to gaze upon good graphics and attractive main characters. If I want to see "regular people", I'll head to Walmart or a local fair. Most games with ugly main characters have other issues as well, so it is an easy pass. Justify it all you want. It is my choice to pass on a game with unattractive characters. And more and more, it is being done on purpose for stupid reasons. Thankfully there are so many games both old and new to play, I can pass on anything I find objectionable. If it gets to the point where all games are woke garbage, I will just stop playing new games. Or touch some grass.

Why is everyone raging over normal looking people?
Good question. A lot of people out there can't handle art that doesn't ascribe to their particular standards, so they rail against it. As though it's some sort of attack or culture war. But that war is just the confirmation bias talking. Like, why is it that a dev paying artists to design hot women is all good, but devs paying artists to make average or even "ugly" women is somehow a travesty? Let the devs do whatever the heck they want. Even if it means hiring diversity consultants. That's their choice. They're the ones making the games. And, conversely, if the dev is throwing so much eye candy at the screen that your retinas will get cavities, then that's fine too.

Look, as one of the resident woke persons on gaf, I often defend "ugly" women in games. As a general rule, though, I also try not to judge devs when they want to make stereotypically attractive characters either. I got no grief with Insomniac's Mary Jane, but I also got no grief with FFVII's Tifa. It's all good.

Making women look ugly has to be like some anti man shit. It's the only reason I can think of.

Some angry lady is somewhere saying fuck the male gaze.

Make video game woman hot again.
The sad thing is it's not women it's usually dudes or trans people (who aren't anywhere close to passing) who want to be women but look more like a guy. They (the ideological cult of woke) push this to make them feel less self conscious. Make women look more like them in media so they are accepted. If you go on reddit half the popular subs all act this way are fine with and support dei, uglification of women and the woke shit. It's them weirdo reddit people and resetera types all pushing for it...

Its the only conclusion I can think of. Why all these used to be sane people became dug into thr cult, that's the mystery.

Don't you guys see this is a veiled woke message from this dev? Notice the gamer gate comment and notice he specifically mentions black women. First of all it's WHITE women that have gotten hit the most with the ugly stick recently whereas black women have been portrayed more favorably- a la Forspoken and Alan Wake 2.

He's not saying what you think he is.

Is gaming the only entertainment medium where this happens? I find it impossible to come up with similar things happening in the world of popular music or movies/TV. I don't think any young female pop star gets told to stop using makeup and dress more modestly, I don't think any Hollywood producer would ever tell the director to cast more ugly actresses because that's what the public wants.
Dnd and magic it's hit big time. Shit they are erasing Orcs because "they are a fictional comparison to black people" is how they frame it. Or goblins because they think they were designed as Jewish people. It's complete bs, and speaks more to how these people think than anything else. They get rid of alignment, good and evil so everything now is morally amigious. Oh that evil mind flayer is just his culture, he's not really evil.

The art work is filled with butch or andronenious lesbians on all the covers. Men aren't allows to be muscular (especially white men) only mages. Women are always up front as the fighter etc... One female amazing artist who worked there for over 15 years said one thing a bit back that she was OK with something they don't like and bam canned (won't get into it here as it's political)

Pronouns infecting everything. Shit my good friend does coding for wizards of the coast and they made him out pronouns and a rainbow logo in his signature. It's insane, he hates how screwed IL the company bacame. It was his dream job and they changed as he got brought in.

Marvel and Disney, star wars, comics... The list goes on and on. Even modern TV shows are all wokeified and hire zoomer /millennial writers with daddy and anti religion baggage who write fanfics about subverting the patriarchy...

Seriously I miss TV and movies pre 2017 or so. It went to hell and has only gotten worse. Games at least have eater Europe, and Asia, for now. How long can they hold the line? They need support and woke products need to go broke and face steep blowback for this to change.

Last edited:

Barakov

Del Walker, a Principle Artist (lead) at major studios such as Naughty_Dog, Rocksteady Games and Respawn talked about his frustration at trying to get his designs for beautiful black female characters approved at AAA studios.

GQcpUayaIAUHB1Z

WooQca2.jpeg

This seems like just deserts for shilling this stuff for so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom