• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai 1
First of all, we got an unashamedly perverted lead, which as we all know is a recipe for success when it comes to harems (Urusei Yatsura, Sora no Otoshimono, etc). But this takes it one step further by actually making it the guy's power source.
I feel like that's a cop-out unless he actually has sex with someone. Otherwise, he's a horny virgin instead of a eunuch'ed/castrated virgin.

I think the magical boyfriend genre hasn't been tapped enough.
Miracle Train was a magical harem I suppose. :(

Can you imagine how good a BD release of Riding Bean would look? I can't.

I have only major complaint about Riding Bean but I feel you can already imagine what is. It's that
creepy scene with the under-age girl that just had to be in it because, well, Kenichi Sonoda loves underage girls.
Was the BD transfer that bad?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Okay, somehow I misread and thought that the entirety of Super Dimension Fortress Macross was being censored instead of DYRL. It's equally as fucked up either way, but now I'm curious as to whether there's even been a BD box for SDF Macross announced yet. Anyone have immediate knowledge on this?

Okay, somehow I misread and thought that the entirety of Super Dimension Fortress Macross was being censored instead of DYRL. It's equally as fucked up either way, but now I'm curious as to whether there's even been a BD box for SDF Macross announced yet. Anyone have immediate knowledge on this?
It just came out on BD in Japan not too long ago. Kagami even posted pictures of it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The guy
deliberately stuck his face in a vagina.
I think it's fine.
He didn't though. Wasn't it an accident? Besides, unless he provided some kind of service, that's just the natural evolution of the fall into crotch introduction scene.
I think your standards are too low for anime heroes. :p

Defuser

Kono Naka Ni Hitori, Imouto Ga Iru! 1

I REALLY don't want to watch this, but that goddamn ending guarantees I'll at least check out the next episode. Motherfucker.

Wnok8.jpg

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It just came out on BD in Japan. Kagami even posted pictures of it.

Great that it's already safely out if Kawamori is apparently willing to molest the property to such lengths now.

maybe he can censor Ranka out of Frontier someday, ololol :(

Madoka Magica 1 - 12

Yeah I watched this series when it aired and thought highly of it. After Angel Beats I needed something better to watch so I marathon-slammed it all in one evening with a friend who hadn't seen it yet. This time I watched it on BD. The several changes that Shaft made to the backgrounds, and the few made to the characters were pretty noticeable and very favorable. Everything looked and sounded gorgeous. I had forgotten how amazing the soundtrack is. I was also worried that the show's story wouldn't hold up to scrutiny on my second viewing, or that my opinion of it would change based on seeing every episode one after another - rather than waiting for weeks (or in the case of the last couple - months). I can gladly say that everything holds up quite well. And the building crescendo that peaks throughout episode 10 is still every bit as wonderful as it was the first time. The show is fucking dark and borderline depressing with no rays of hope whatsoever throughout the vast majority of the story. Scene composing and shots are handled extremely well and my only real critiques are limited to a few minor complaints about the ending - which ultimately don't matter much in light of everything else. It's still a hell of an ambitious ending, regardless of how you feel.
Maybe I've been depressed for too long, but it wasn't that dark or depressing to me. Probably would have helped if the characters were worth caring about, besides Homura.

Risette

A Good Citizen
You know what, fuck everything.

You know that super-sweet BD release of Macross DYRL that's coming out? For some asinine reason that I cannot fathom it seems that they decided to heavily censor some instances of violence on screen. See the source here. Perhaps it's not too bad and it's only for the screening these folks attended, but it's pretty worrying.
How do you know they're not lying or those segments weren't just blurry already? Sounds like crap to me.

He didn't though. Wasn't it an accident? Besides, unless he provided some kind of service, that's just the natural evolution of the fall into crotch introduction scene.
I think your standards are too low for anime heroes. :p

Half accident. He didn't realize she wasn't wearing panties at the time.
Does groping count? Because he has no qualms about that.

I feel like that's a cop-out unless he actually has sex with someone. Otherwise, he's a horny virgin instead of a eunuch'ed/castrated virgin.

Considering that's the source of whatshername's power, I expect he'll probably get at least third base or something to defeat or overcome something.

Not like they'll show it on TV anyway.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai 1
First of all, we got an unashamedly perverted lead, which as we all know is a recipe for success when it comes to harems (Urusei Yatsura, Sora no Otoshimono, etc). But this takes it one step further by actually making it the guy's power source.

Sounds like Amaenaideyo!!

Jex

How do you know they're not lying or those segments weren't just blurry already? Sounds like crap to me.

Lets think about this logically.

1) They're lying.

I don't see any motive for these folks to lie. What do they get out of it? That just seems pointless.

2) These segments were already blurry.

These are the people who run macrossworld. I am pretty sure they're more familiar with the material than any normal human being.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Lets think about this logically.

1) They're lying.

I don't see any motive for these folks to lie. What do they get out of it? That just seems pointless.

2) These segments were already blurry.

These are the people who run macrossworld. I am pretty sure they're more familiar with the material than any normal human being.
1) What motive would there be for BV to censor the movie? Why aren't you thinking logically?

2) SD vs HD. You didn't see out of focus shots in SD.

mAcOdIn

Since when do companies need logical reasons to do anything? It's been years since having seen DYRL so I'm not going to say I remember any of the scenes well enough to comment on it but sometimes people and companies just do something for illogical reasons. There's as good a chance it's censored as not in my opinion.

JordanN

Banned
Binbo Gami Ga 01

Wow, why didn't I follow this anime sooner. This shows got everything. Ecchi, parodies, drama, black people, comedy, action. If it weren't for Oda Nobuna No Yabo catching my attention first I would have made this my summer avatar.

wonzo

Banned
http://i.minus.com/ibztq9a77IjZuE.gif
apoc4.jpg

Can you imagine how good a BD release of Riding Bean would look? I can't.
fortunately we live a world where we don't need to imagine that!

You know what, fuck everything.

You know that super-sweet BD release of Macross DYRL that's coming out? For some asinine reason that I cannot fathom it seems that they decided to heavily censor some instances of violence on screen. See the source here. Perhaps it's not too bad and it's only for the screening these folks attended, but it's pretty worrying.
I've been waiting ages for the BD release to check this out but if that's true then... fuck.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Why is sex always on your mind? Have you been watching too much HBO?
Half accident. He didn't realize she wasn't wearing panties at the time.
Does groping count? Because he has no qualms about that.
Considering that's the source of whatshername's power, I expect he'll probably get at least third base or something to defeat or overcome something.

Not like they'll show it on TV anyway.
It just feels like the grade school version of sex. Which is fine, since anime is for children (of body or of mind), but anime manages to find a way to even make drinking breast milk straight from the source clinical and non-sexual.

Either way, I'm just saying that these guys don't get credit just because they think about sex. Heck, for all the body humour in Gintama, Gintoki is about as virginal as Shinpachi if you actually think about it. He gives sex tips, but for all you know, everything he knows about sex comes from To Love Ru and whatever else he reads!

It just feels like the grade school version of sex. Which is fine, since anime is for children (of body or of mind), but anime manages to find a way to even make drinking breast milk straight from the source clinical and non-sexual.

Either way, I'm just saying that these guys don't get credit just because they think about sex. Heck, for all the body humour in Gintama, Gintoki is about as virginal as Shinpachi if you actually think about it. He gives sex tips, but for all you know, everything he knows about sex comes from To Love Ru and whatever else he reads!

So you're saying virgins are all children now? racist

firehawk12

Subete no aware
APOCALYPSE STRATOS 11-OVA END
I worry that my loli might not understand what I've tried to be. And if I were to die, Nakama, I would want someone to go to my basement and tell my loli everything – everything I did, everything you saw – because there's nothing that I detest more than the stench of lies. And if you understand me, Nakama, you will do this for me.
But don't you love the smell of hnnng in the morning?

(damn son. lol)

Oh yeah, shoubros should acknowledge that they have penises!

Articalys

So at some point, we all missed the results from SaiMecha round 3:

Gurren Lagann vs Zeta Gundam BY ONE VOTE! (50.47% vs 49.53%)
Nirvash vs VF-25 Messiah (41.35% vs 58.65%)
Turn A Gundam vs Gouf Custom (51.49% vs 48.61%)
Gunbuster vs Kshatriya (64.76% vs 35.24%)

Anyway, the randomized bracket between these final four and last year's is set, though the matches aren't live yet:

5jfGV.jpg

As a reminder, the way the rules are set up, if Unit-01 wins it all again this year, it gets permanently put in the hall of fame and is disqualified from all future contests.

Dresden

Accel World 13

So like all mmos, everyone wants the healer in the party, but don't wanna roll one.

In this case it's just that no one is able to, though.

At this point you have the KKK Grand Dragon dude in Team White along with Chiyu as the only healers in the entire game.

Kazzy

Lupin III: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna 10-13 (END):

What a disaster.

Agreed. As bad as the main plot was, they should have at least had stuck by their decision.
To effectively hit the reset button on the (little) character development they had bothered with, was a slap in the face.

I thought this series was an attempt to flesh out a fairly shallow character, but she ended up being less interesting than she was in the initial episode. So the answer to ""How Fujiko Mine became Fujiko Mine" is that "No, she was always like this, lol. Forget the implied child rape/torture that was suggested all along."

The only thing I take from this is that I Fujiko herself is dull, and Goemon seems like a cool character, just woefully underused here. Everything that I have heard is good about standard Lupin (such as the group dynamic) was almost non-existent here. I can't remember a show where I've quite so actively disliked the protagonist either.

Moyashimon 9-11

I really liked the way these episodes fleshed out Hasegawa's character; 9 was excellent in that regard. On the other hand, I wasn't really feeling where Kei's character went.
Perhaps if they had built him up more before he disappeared it would have been successful, but as it is it felt rather random and perplexing.
I initially didn't like the
"He can't see microbes anymore!"
development, as it seemed just thrown in for some arbitrary drama at the end, but it actually pulled it off fairly well, and examined the impact of Sawaki's ability on his life in an interesting way. The ending, if a bit silly, was uplifting enough to make me smile. These microbes are just too adorable.

My biggest complaint would be that there were a stretch of episodes in the middle which felt rather disjointed - both scene-by-scene and episode-by-episode. I wish the show had dedicated more time to establishing Sawaki's transition into college life - as it is, I didn't feel there was enough context to the microbe antics in the lab. Still, I had a lot of fun watching these quirky characters do their thing, and there were a lot of hilarious, well-executed moments. Certainly a positive experience.

It's too bad that I'm no longer interested in watching the current sequel, as the redesigns are rather unfortunate and it sounds like it exacerbates the worst aspects of the educational nature of the show, but hopefully I hear more positive impressions on it down the line.

Narag

Berserk: The Golden Age Arc I - The Egg of the King

Well, this wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it'd be but that's entirely due to the source material and no thanks to the filmmakers. The usage of both 2D & 3D did an incredible job of annoying me and I'd have preferred if they'd committed to one or the other.

This would have been glorious if everything had been 2D as the 3D stuff, the battles in particular, were pretty bad and too often characters felt like they were manipulated puppets such as when Griffith interrupts Casca and Guts' discussion on a hillside, he moves so stiffly. Horses tended to glide over the backgrounds too. The lone exception I noticed was Griffith pursuing Charlotte during the royal hunt. There's one bit of CG horseback riding as they enter the creek that I thought was rather beautiful and the quality the movie should have made an effort to approach rather than just 5 seconds of bliss. Other stuff as questionable usage of slow motion, the paneled ending shot, and blood on the camera lens grated as well. I didn't really care for the soundtrack so much either but I'll chalk that up to a personal preference. It seemed fitting but the TV series spoiled me in that department and my bias is showing.
That said, the preview had me excited for the next part and hopefully there's some increase in quality as the movies progress even if all the first did was leave me wishing I'd been rewatching the TV series instead.

Watching the beginning of the movie, I couldn't quite shake the notion that Guts' head kept changing shape. The below are shown in the span of a few minutes yet it looks like he gets younger in each shot. Maybe it's just the angle. It seemed more consistent after the time skip at least.

Not even a broken neck can stop Guts.

Narag

So at some point, we all missed the results from SaiMecha round 3:

Gurren Lagann vs Zeta Gundam BY ONE VOTE! (50.47% vs 49.53%)
Nirvash vs VF-25 Messiah (41.35% vs 58.65%)
Turn A Gundam vs Gouf Custom (51.49% vs 48.61%)
Gunbuster vs Kshatriya (64.76% vs 35.24%)

I'd have voted for Zeta too :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom