• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
She's also not annoying.

She just has the whole bump into you thing.

The episodes with her do shine though, just cause of her energy.

Good, good.

Does Pokemon ever have any out-and-out sakuga moments or episodes with extra attention given to direction? The feeling I get is that it's more blatantly commercial/has less all-ages appeal than even stuff like Precure and therefore there's never a need to expend extra budget for anything, but I could be wrong.

If you give up, here's the answer (slightly NSFW).

Sometimes I hate being right. At least it's the less-bad of the two things that I was thinking of.

Makoto

Campione and Hagure Yuusha. Come on man, I posted my impressions of those today! You gotta read every single post in the thread (or something).
I apologize. You used the words, "growing a pair," for the MC of the former and "slick," for the latter but didn't outright call them alpha. Your Campione impressions in particular weren't very abundant to truly imply that the MC was full on alpha.

Good, good.

Does Pokemon ever have any out-and-out sakuga moments or episodes with extra attention given to direction? The feeling I get is that it's more blatantly commercial than even stuff like Precure and therefore there's never a need to expend extra budget for anything, but I could be wrong.

I've seen some impressive stuff in the monthly sakuga videos.

I apologize. You used the words, "growing a pair," for the MC of the former and "slick," for the latter but didn't outright call them alpha. Your Campione impressions in particular weren't very abundant to truly imply that the MC was full on alpha.

lol, guess it doesn't help I was using different words that could mean different things. My B.

If you give up, here's the answer (slightly NSFW).
Gotta get while the getting's good, mang. Earning your redwings is a crucial life experience.
Sometimes I hate being right. At least it's the less-bad of the two things that I was thinking of.
I was kind of worried since it was the very first thing I thought of, but it's reassuring that I can't even guess what your more-bad idea is.

edit: or is that hair and I'm actually even worse off than I imagined?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I've seen some impressive stuff in the monthly sakuga videos.

Time to go digging around youtube. Thanks!

I was kind of worried since it was the very first thing I thought of, but it's reassuring that I can't even guess what your more-bad idea is.

edit: or is that hair and I'm actually even worse off than I imagined?

You poor soul, you really are worse off. See below.

What was the other one?

an ocean of menstruation
:(

fertygo

I only give a damn about Horizon for shitty LN thing this season, as its the only one that have high level sakuga on it.

oh and SAO too, corpse of noitaminA still the best thing that airing.

Jex

I suppose that also plays into your argument that these events constituted fanservice. The events that transpired excited me instantly on sight, even in the lack of any indication of whether or not these particular developments will actually help the story. "HEY, it's [x character]!" is a basic form of fanservice.

That's really the thing with 'reference fanservice'. It's essentially a shortcut because it allows the show to make you excited without actually doing any hard work at all.

duckroll

That's really the thing with 'reference fanservice'. It's essentially a shortcut because it allows the show to make you excited without actually doing any hard work at all.

It's no less a shortcut than any other well timed dramatic plot twist. Is it engineered to create excitement and emotions? Yes. But that is the aim of pretty much all serial entertainment which use plot developments as a carrot. As long as the audience knows what they're buying into and enjoy it, there's no harm. If it is executed poorly, it can still fall flat, so I wouldn't say there is no hard work at all.

Jex

It's no less a shortcut than any other well timed dramatic plot twist. Is it engineered to create excitement and emotions? Yes. But that is the aim of pretty much all serial entertainment which use plot developments as a carrot. As long as the audience knows what they're buying into and enjoy it, there's no harm. If it is executed poorly, it can still fall flat, so I wouldn't say there is no hard work at all.

I didn't say it was harmful, I said it was a shortcut because it plays on the audiences long term investment in some other work. The show in question that uses this shortcut doesn't even have to rely on any work that has been done in the series itself, it can reference another work, which is fundamentally different from a 'dramatic plot twist' because that's built on something that has been engineered within the show.

I would concede the point about 'no hard work' though.

Narag

APOCALYPSE STRATOS 11-OVA END

ibztq9a77IjZuE.gif

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Eureka Seven: Pocketful of Rainbows

So this is the 5th time I watched the movie, yes I watched it that many times, and I still have no idea what the fuck actually happened at the ending. I think I understand everything about the movie up to the point where they actually meet Anemone. From there I get bits and pieces but the overall ending is just lost on me. To me I think Renton got screwed in every way and honestly I look at it more like a tragedy. He loses his best friend, loses his girlfriend essentially, and has to live in a world that's basically destroyed.

Having said that, I realized how much of a badass Renton was in this movie and it reminded me heavily of Ao. There are many characteristics that Ao takes after from Renton such as his brashness, straightforwardness, impulsiveness from his emotions, and etc. However they are still not the same. It's also important to note how Renton at the end of the original series compares to the one here. Sadly we didn't get to see a more developed and mature Renton as much as we'd like but had Renton kept growing up he would've eventually grown up to who Renton was in the movies.

I mostly watched this for references sake because i wanted to see how the plot relates to E7 and AO in some way, shape, or form. In all honesty I see tidbits of the movie all over AO and while the execution of the movie might've failed, the ideas that the movie was trying to convey are done in AO. Ideas such as how people fail to see the truth and how Scubs and Secrets remain a completely mystery to society. Not only this but AO tries to mimic sort of the original series and the movie but hitting the unknown as enemies pretty hard. We see that the EIZOs really weren't enemies but rather mirror images of people, hence why they were called IMAGEs in the Japanese version of the movie.

We don't quite know how Secrets relate to the AO world but my guess is that they are dreams and memories that take on physical manifestation. One particular line in the movie hit me pretty hard and I thought it would be heavily related to the series. "In order to have dreams, one must have memories." I think that this relates to AO in the sense that dreams and memories were a pivotal aspect of the original series. We learn that the Coralians didn't know anything about people and wanted to communicate with them which is very similar to the EIZOs. I wouldn't doubt it if a similar case appeared in AO.

The main reason why I watched the movie was so I can gleam more of Truth. I find him to be a very interesting character because he's a type of character that just shatters the world because to him, he believes that he knows the "truth." It's funny because this is very much reverse dramatic irony. For those who don't know what dramatic irony, it's a situation where the audience knows something that the characters don't. Here, the show makes it appear where Truth has all the answers to the puzzle but the audience. Hence the term "reverse." Anyway, I think Truth calls the world fake because this world is merely an image. A reflection or copy or a distortion, or w/e. As a result, he goes around trying to free or show people that this world is indeed by running rampant and doing anything as he pleases. After all, if the truth of the world is that the world is indeed fake/pointless/etc, then there is no guiding principles and such as well.

Before leaving this long essay or whatnot, I decided to dabble in what I think is to be the connecting source of all this. Honestly, I think that the mythos of the movie is really important to both the original series and AO. The reason I think so is because the movie world is a parallel world, and the AO world is a product of the original series. What I mean by the latter is that people wanted to reunite with those that were lost after the original series. What we end up getting is the world in AO, and somehow Eureka is involved in this. Most likely because she was some sort of experiment.

Anyway, if you understood any of this then I applaud you. If you didn't then I'm sorry I couldn't convey things better. CONCLUDED.

duckroll

I didn't say it was harmful, I said it was a shortcut because it plays on the audiences long term investment in some other work. The show in question that uses this shortcut doesn't even have to rely on any work that has been done in the series itself, it can reference another work, which is fundamentally different from a 'dramatic plot twist' because that's built on something that has been engineered within the show.

But the very act of making a sequel, spin-off, or extended universe to anything is to leverage invested interest in the first place right? As such, it should be viewed in context that when you make such a work, you are already taking a "shortcut" of sorts because you will be serving not just a new audience on a fresh slate, but also a fanbase with pre-conceived expectations.

Jex

Like Nisemonogatari.

As long as one's watched the censored TV version with manservice it's classy.
But the very act of making a sequel, spin-off, or extended universe to anything is to leverage invested interest in the first place right? As such, it should be viewed in context that when you make such a work, you are already taking a "shortcut" of sorts because you will be serving not just a new audience on a fresh slate, but also a fanbase with pre-conceived expectations.

So we're in agreement.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Madoka Magica 1 - 12

Yeah I watched this series when it aired and thought highly of it. After Angel Beats I needed something better to watch so I marathon-slammed it all in one evening with a friend who hadn't seen it yet. This time I watched it on BD. The several changes that Shaft made to the backgrounds, and the few made to the characters were pretty noticeable and very favorable. Everything looked and sounded gorgeous. I had forgotten how amazing the soundtrack is. I was also worried that the show's story wouldn't hold up to scrutiny on my second viewing, or that my opinion of it would change based on seeing every episode one after another - rather than waiting for weeks (or in the case of the last couple - months). I can gladly say that everything holds up quite well. And the building crescendo that peaks throughout episode 10 is still every bit as wonderful as it was the first time. The show is fucking dark and borderline depressing with no rays of hope whatsoever throughout the vast majority of the story. Scene composing and shots are handled extremely well and my only real critiques are limited to a few minor complaints about the ending - which ultimately don't matter much in light of everything else. It's still a hell of an ambitious ending, regardless of how you feel.

I'm guessing most of you have already seen this show - but if there are lurkers in here who still haven't - holy fuck just go watch it already. I got so pumped that I even doodled you guys a thing...

1065066-IGL0NW0.jpg

fuck yea

Jex

Being bored for 10 episodes is definitely better being bored for 52 episodes, though.

Blood+ may be one of the most tedious series of all time. Now that we live in the age of 11 episode shows it's crazy to think that something as worthless as Blood+ got fifty-two episodes.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Oh yeah, Bruno. That was his thing.

I pretty much forget about the elite 4 since they are basically reduced to character-of the day in the anime.

This is the worst thing about Ash always having to lose each regional tournament.

Madoka Magica 1 - 12

I'm guessing most of you have already seen this show - but if there are lurkers in here who still haven't - holy fuck just go watch it already. I got so pumped that I even doodled you guys a thing...

http://sadpanda.us/images/1065066-IGL0NW0.jpg

fuck yea

Whoa, great art! I don't know what it says about me, Japan, or anything else that I just take Madoka's panties on Homura's head as a matter of course now.

Pow! Right in the kisser!

Truth.

At least the full force of PokeGAF can't find us here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom