• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Love and Elections and Chocolate 01

Were HS student council politics always supposed to be this underhanded and cutthroat?

*scratches Kokoro Connect off the list*
Perhaps someday you'll get that Prism anime.

hyouka
4eSaD.jpg

Dresden

Yeah, I'm preparing myself for the inevitable early I guess.
For what it's worth
I think it'll be relatively harem-free early on.
Sword Art Online: Hope those guys arent on a PVP server. lol
I think PK is on from the start, actually. It's a free for all.
Sword Art Online has got to be the most disgusting, sad, and pathetic of the anime's that I've seen this season... and that's including the horrible magical girlfriend shows and harem shows.
The Last Starfighter man.

The premise has always turned me off but at least it's not something unique to japan/otaku culture. See: success of Ready Player One, etc.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Last Starfighter man.

The premise has always turned me off but at least it's not something unique to japan/otaku culture. See: success of Ready Player One, etc.
The thing is that at least The Last Starfighter existed in "the real world". He's a good at a game, so he gets recruited into some kind of starfleet outside of the game. Here, he's just good at the game and stuck playing the game. There's no real benefit or aspiration. It's literally be the first to beat Diablo on Inferno in Hardcore. That's all the people in the game can aspire to. How fucking sad is that?

I mean, maybe if there was some meta-commentary - some of the weaker players end up being slaves and gold farmers for the other players or something - that might be interesting. But then you get back into Welcome to the NHK territory and I don't think that this show wants to aspire to that.

Oreimo?
Yeah I know, that's more cute girls being otaku than celebrating it, but whatever...
Eh, she's still ashamed of it. It's not like she tells her friends that she likes to play games where an older brother bangs his younger sister.

I'll discover your true meaning... someday!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sword Art Online has got to be the most disgusting, sad, and pathetic of the anime's that I've seen this season... and that's including the horrible magical girlfriend shows and harem shows.

It's like someone took the FF11 episodes of Welcome to the NHK, removed any of the irony and dark comedy, and decided to make a show based on how awesome it would be to be good at games.

I mean, at least with other shows, the power fantasy is somewhat tangible. You're a guy who gets to have non-sex with a girl with magical powers. But this is just sad... now you're just some guy who gets to be good at games?

I swear, in 10 years, someone will make a version of Genshiken where watching anime and reading manga is actually celebrated. That'll be the singularity point of otaku culture.

Wait, did you only watch the first ten minutes of the episode?

Dresden

The thing is that at least The Last Starfighter existed in "the real world". He's a good at a game, so he gets recruited into some kind of starfleet outside of the game. Here, he's just good at the game and stuck playing the game. There's no real benefit or aspiration. It's literally be the first to beat Diablo on Inferno in Hardcore. That's all the people in the game can aspire to. How fucking sad is that?

I mean, maybe if there was some meta-commentary - some of the weaker players end up being slaves and gold farmers for the other players or something - that might be interesting. But then you get back into Welcome to the NHK territory and I don't think that this show wants to aspire to that.
Where were you when I was shitting on Accel World for this last season???

icecream

Public Health Threat
Probably more in the context of being celebrated by the general populace.

Oreimo is more a wonderful show about loving one's self and discovering the self-confidence to express what one loves even if it's not something socially acceptable. And about finding the strength to accept others for who they are as a whole.

jman2050

Probably more in the context of being celebrated by the general populace. Oreimo is a wondeful show about loving one's self and discovering the self-confidence to express what you love even if it's not something socially accepted, and finding the stength to accept others for who they are as a whole.

iogfNqwGz0fk7.gif

Dresden

IQjpu.png

Son of a bitch. I'll enjoy the ride while it lasts then.

That's what I plan on doing, so long as the show stays good. I think I can deal with the self-insertion fantasies as long as it keeps playing with the concept of a MMO world.

Also,
I don't mean that it turns into a harem romcom or anything, just that there's a harem and he does things with them but the focus seems to remain on the action.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Probably more in the context of being celebrated by the general populace.

Oreimo is more a wonderful show about loving one's self and discovering the self-confidence to express what one loves even if it's not something socially acceptable. And about finding the strength to accept others for who they are as a whole.
Well, except that - at least by animu standards - she's still closeted (literally, since that's where she hides her games!).

I hate MMOs.
They're too addictive and my only attempt into one nearly destroyed me :(
If you're good at MMOs, girls want to have sex with you. That's how it works.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
FUUUUUUUCK @ SAO spoilz

No, I watched the whole thing. :p

Even in light of Dresden's horrifying revelation, your appraisal still seems pretty harsh! I mean, gamers are definitely able to identify with Kirito, but I didn't notice any overt attempts to position him as some kind of soulless self-insert power fantasy. The threat of death is much more immediate and less abstract than, say, your average shounen, and I would wager that the show is much more likely to invest the viewer in his survival rather than make the viewer actively want to be him.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Even in light of Dresden's horrifying revelation, your appraisal still seems pretty harsh! I mean, gamers are definitely able to identify with Kirito, but I didn't notice any overt attempts to position him as some kind of soulless self-insert power fantasy. The threat of death is much more immediate and less abstract than, say, your average shounen, and I would wager that the show is much more likely to invest the viewer in his survival rather than make the viewer actively want to be him.

He's a Hikkimori who hates life and wants to spend his time playing games. He reads magazines and blogs about game creators and probably spends his time debating about the merits of the RMAH on blizzard.com or Japanese NeoGAF.

But suddenly, he's trapped in this game where he has power via his gamer skills. He was once a loner but people start to appreciate him for who he is and fall in love/lust/like with him.

It's exactly what happened in Welcome to the NHK. Dude thought he could just play FF11 forever and make money selling items while finding hot girls to date. But whereas that dude learned the harsh reality of being a gold farmer with no life, SOA celebrates that life as a viable alternative (however imaginary).

It's not just that it's a power fantasy. I have no problem with girls wanting to be Precures or boys wanting to be Straw Hats. This is an introvert's power fantasy. And that's just sad.

Kuroko no Basket 14

Why show, why. Why change awesome OPs and EDs? The new OP isn't that bad, but man do I hate the new ED. That might just be jealously from losing Hyadain's awesome song. :E

9ecgc.gif

Oh right, first part was awesome. I really like the comedy of the show. Really fun stuff happening, the off screen things were really great as well. Tetsuya is an awesome addition to the group.

Part two was average. Once basketball starts back up, I slowly lose interest.

Youre watching an anime about basketball, and lose interest when they play basketball? I dont understand.

Well, I didn't mean when they play it. That looks impressive enough.

Just talking about it.

But, I have been complaining about not caring about the basketball aspect of this show since day one. It's been the pretty graphics, the good music and stuff that has kept me going for so long.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
He's a Hikkimori who hates life and wants to spend his time playing games. He reads magazines and blogs about game creators and probably spends his time debating about the merits of the RMAH on blizzard.com or Japanese NeoGAF.

But suddenly, he's trapped in this game where he has power via his gamer skills. He was once a loner but people start to appreciate him for who he is and fall in love/lust/like with him.

It's exactly what happened in Welcome to the NHK. Dude thought he could just play FF11 forever and make money selling items while finding hot girls to date. But whereas that dude learned the harsh reality of being a gold farmer with no life, SOA celebrates that life as a viable alternative (however imaginary).

It's not just that it's a power fantasy. I have no problem with girls wanting to be Precures or boys wanting to be Straw Hats. This is an introvert's power fantasy. And that's just sad.

All of this is only a problem if you think that introversion is inherently bad. Everyone wants to be appreciated by others, but not everyone fits the dominant cultural mold and those who don't shouldn't be damned to foreveralone status just for being heavily invested in a personal hobby. If the other characters in the SAO universe see his skills as legitimately valuable, then that's fine because that's the culture and community that he identifies with anyway.

I don't really find the concept of "power fantasies" all that negative anyway because all media that we consume is a substitution of imagination for reality anyway. I'd call it an "escape", but of course not everyone agrees that they're trying to escape something by consuming fictional media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom