• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Sword Art Online 1

So, just like I thought this show is going to be fantabulous. I found the initial chapters of SAO extremely boring from the LN but for some reason this first episode was really well done. From the way it guided the audience to the world of SAO and how it works so naturally is a testament to the greatness of the first episode. Secondly, I absolutely love how they characterized Kirito. While the novel went to great lengths to describe his character, the episode didn't. Luckily, I felt like we didn't lose any bit of insight of Kirito. I learned that he's sort of selfish in ways, doesn't like to be social much, but is very earnest and kind. I also loved the epilogue to this episode and how it was so brilliantly done for only mere seconds.

OP is freaking awesome cuz Asuna is awesome.

wonzo

Banned
Smile PreCure! 21

smileprecure21.jpg
smileprecure21a.jpg
smileprecure21b.jpg
smileprecure21d.jpg

It's about damn time the best mascot character finally made his reappearance. I'm getting some serious HISOKA vibes from the Joker.

So, uh, what is this show about again?
morgiana owning shit up

magimorowns.jpg

Uchip

Banned
Because anything showing females in a painful situation is sexist, amirite? I remember there was that episode of Rugrats where I think Lil got a papercut. IT MUST BE SEXIST!

Why do guys never cry sexism against us?
I guess we're just more comfortable with being objectified or something

Arabian Nights style shounen adventure. It's kinda like Fullmetal Alchemist and One Piece mixed with various inspirations from 1001 Nights. It's pretty cool.

One of these days, I need to read it.

Though, by the time I get around to it, the anime will probably have already started, so there's that too!

Kokoro Connect 1
tumblr_m6t4w2iJXL1qdippyo1_500.gif

Like Koi to senkyo to Chocolate, Kokoro Connect was one of the two anime this season, I just randomly decided to watch just to pass time in anime that are typically outside of the comfort zone that I watch. While Koi Choco was a bit more hilarious to me, Kokoro Connect did have a few moments of joy.

Favorite characters are definitely Taichi and Aoki. Inaba sounds like Kurapika from Hunter x Hunter I think.

Soul Switching, at least in this episode, was pretty interesting.
Taichi and Nagase made me laugh in the classroom as well as just talking to the friends in the club room trying to convince them they did and then the entire dialogue. I was actually pretty hooked to it

Only issue I forsee is that it will be hard to keep track of whom is who, if they do more than two. The visuals of the anime are really lacking compared to other anime. Im not one to pick out art and criticize it for looking like chicken scratch, but this anime looked really substandard tier. There's nothing remarkable or memorable about it. In other anime, I could say, has HQ character designs, or detailed backgrounds, but this, I cant think of a single thing about it. :/

Ed is good, will stay for more.

Uchip

Banned
Ah that comparison is probably unfair to Magi, at least just based on glances, I would definitely place Magi a way higher echelon than FMA and possibly higher than one piece if it has characters that really rival that of Oda's designs.

so basically I should read this post and interpret the complete opposite

Defuser

One of these days, I need to read it.

Though, by the time I get around to it, the anime will probably have already started, so there's that too!
You better read now because the author herself is gonna make some changes/shifting around to the anime.......Although it will be treat for those who haven't read and for those who already read, I really can't wait.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Smile PreCure! 21

It's about damn time the best mascot character finally made his reappearance. I'm getting some serious HISOKA vibes from the Joker.

Any character that can cause Yayoi to make this face (Ep. 22 pv spoilz) must be one evil fucker. As you can see from my avatar, I've taken an immediate liking to him!

You like One Piece and/or FMA, you'll like Magi. There's a reason Mangaf crossposters are hyping it up in here.

Dude, I'm trusting you. Like, seriously. Those just happen to be my two favorite shounen series, so this does things to my expectations. Things that will have to be compensated with blood if those expectations aren't met.

Dude, I'm trusting you. Like, seriously. Those just happen to be my two favorite shounen series, so this does things to my expectations. Things that will have to be compensated with blood if those expectations aren't met.

I got people backing me this time unlike with Binbougami (though more episodes of that need to air before it meets the hype). Unless the anime is DRASTICALLY different (which it probably won't be because the original author is working with A-1), I don't see how it will be anything short of awesome.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I got people backing me this time unlike with Binbougami (though more episodes of that need to air before it meets the hype). Unless the anime is DRASTICALLY different (which it probably won't be because the original author is working with A-1), I don't see how it will be anything short of awesome.
duckroll x cosmic hype. What will happen?!

duckroll

Don't worry, if we run out of blood to pay the sacrifice, we can always bleed dresden. He's a co-conspirator too!

wonzo

Banned
Take the best bits of FMA and One Piece, mix them together and add a sprinkle Arabian Nights and you've got Magi. It is incredible.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
duckroll x cosmic hype. What will happen?!

I would have thought that Zetsuen no Tempest would have been the thing to unite these two disparate hype machines, but apparently not!

Take the best bits of FMA and One Piece, mix them together and add a sprinkle Arabian Nights and you've got Magi. It is incredible.

My body needs this.

I would have thought that Zetsuen no Tempest would have been the thing to unite these two disparate hype machines, but apparently not!

I've actually kind of diluted much of the hype with that, lol. Before Dakkumauji and Dresden picked it up, I was the ONLY person in mangagaf that had even heard of it (unless flawfuls just decided not to speak up about it). I always considered it squarely mid-tier shounen (despite having a VERY strong intro).

Ultimadrago

hosanna backed you up!

Defuser

I jsut dont trust DTL when it comes to shounen (or anime in general)

We all know DTL is a goddamn joke not to be taken serious but there's no reason to doubt Cosmic. Like he said, there are several posters who have read the manga knows it's good and genuine excited for the anime. Even Aniplex knows they got a big hit in their hands and making a big hoo hah about it.

hosanna backed you up!

Wonzo and me also.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
We all know DTL is a goddamn joke not to be taken serious but there's no reason to doubt Cosmic. Like he said, there are several posters who have read the manga knows it's good and genuine excited for the anime. Even Aniplex knows they got a big hit in their hands and making a big hoo hah about it.
Well, cosmic also dislikes Precure though... can you trust a man who doesn't like Precure?!

Articalys

Super Space Brothers 15

Mutta continues to be awesome, while the one guy on team B is actually proving to have some sort of evil streak. Should be interesting to see where both plot lines go next week.

Narag

Gurren Lagann Parallel Works 2

If there's one thing I appreciate about the MALgraph site, it's the recommendation section that's pointed out various stuff that I didn't know existed yet are associated with other works I've seen. Case in point: I had no idea there was a second batch of Parallel Works episodes.

My initial impression was that this seemed sort of unnecessary given what the first had covered and its usage of the key musical tracks. I never really shook that feeling entirely despite some enjoyable segments like Gunmen Symphonia, The Sense of Wonder (which had lovely character designs) and Kiyal's Magical Time. The treat here though was the Kittan Zero segment. Everything about that one was so damn good that most doubts I had about this as a whole were washed away in the wake of its awesome.

3X3 Eyes: Volume 02/02

Holy crap. I had this sinking feeling in my gut when I said I hoped it continued to stay enjoyable in my first post about this series, but I didn't think it would be heralding the disaster of a downturn that it was. I mean, geez... My position on this turned so quickly I made myself motion sick. It went from being a fun, quirky series to a devastating kick in the crotch as it took itself far too seriously, flooded its cast with most unlikeable characters imaginable, ruined previously established characters, and became one of the most convoluted messes I've ever seen. Not to mention the complete and utter lack of a fulfilling resolution in any way. What the heck happened here?! READY THE WALL OF BLACKED OUT TEXT!

Story

My impressions will be after the retelling...
There were only three episodes on the second volume, and the first wasn't honestly too bad. It picked up four years later (called that obvious timeskip), Yakumo and two monks attempting to divine where Pai was. However, Benares (the other Wu), has summoned all the lesser demons of the world to track Pai down and prevent the two from finding one another. This amounts to absolutely nothing, but there you go. Cut to some city where we find Pai, now a school girl, being corrected by her two annoying friends for somehow winding up in a dirty magazine because she let someone take her photo on the street. She appears to have lost all of her memory before the big explosion in Hong Kong at the end of volume one, and ends up crossing paths with a homeless man that turns out to be YAKUMO.

Yakumo, being the level headed person he is, decides the best way of approaching his lost love is to hug her from behind. She freaks out, having lost her memory and all, and runs away screaming a pervert is attacking her. Once in an alley, Yakumo is attacked by some creature we later learn is Pai's guardian (oh, thanks for randomly injecting that into the story), and Pai passes out. She awakens in her home from a nightmare involving her past as a Sanjiyan, only to find Yakumo downstairs with her "grandparents" and two friends. They are all relieved to see she is okay, and the grandparents suggest everyone stay the night since it is late and Yakumo carried Pai home.

Neither Yakumo or Pai can sleep, and they run into each other on the balcony of the house. Yakumo attempts to hide who he is as Pai probes him for answers about who he is, what he's doing there, and if he knows anything about her lost memory. However, they're suddenly attacked by large mannequins that the grandfather uses in his work. I think? He's apparently a doll maker, as their home is littered with creepy dolls. Anyways, it seems Yakumo has made the most of his last four years and starts kicking all sorts of butt. He still finds time to make random groping humor for the viewer... However, a special mannequin shows up, and it has fully modeled female genitalia and nipples. Grandpa, just what were you really working on..? Things start going poorly as the mannequin won't die and, using the dolls in the house, she possesses Pai's family. The two escape on the back of her guardian creature from before to a rooftop in the distance.

Yakumo gives Pai some kind of weird glove thing that should give her back her powers or something if she speaks into it. Their peace doesn't last long, as Pai's possessed friends turn up to deal out the damage. However, for all the fans of staring down the shirts of girls that look like they're in their teens, her friends are kind enough to rip her shirt so you can gets lots and lots of chances to look. Seriously? Anyways, Yakumo gets chomped up once the mannequin reappears and possesses Pai's guardian friend. When everything seems lost, Pai recounts the words that Yakumo told her to say, and she saves the day with her magic glowy stuff.

Oh yeah, and the new Pai had these three diamonds on her head blocking her power/memory. She broke two of them during the episode, but the third is really stubborn. ANYWAYS. Yakumo attempts to leave the following morning for a flight to Tibet to find someone that can break the spell that has been put on Pai. However, she has tracked him down in the airport and forces him to let her tag along.

The second of the three episodes picks up with a man stealing an incense jar from a temple. However, he's attacked by Major Toht from Raiders of the Lost Ark. Well, he's actually Choukai, but Toht is much cooler. He and his goons run the self-declared Jake McDonald into the river nearby, but they are unable to locate him. The following morning, we see Yakumo and Pai cruising the Tibetan countryside in search of the very temple that had been attacked in the previous scenes.

The temple is deserted, but a wounded Jake McDonald shows up with the incense jar. Yakumo notices it has three eyes on it, but he doesn't get a chance to ask about it before Toht and his goons show back up. A fight ensues, evil lady turns into four-armed beast lady, McDonald blows up the motorcycle, and they end up escaping into the previous river on a boat manned by a monk from the beginning of the first episode that Yakumo was with.

On the way to the monk's hideout, they find a tiny, young girl wandering the desert. They decide to bring her back with them, and they reach a hidden location in the mountainside. Tinzin, the eldest of the monks, tells them all that the incense jar McDonald found is used as a key to reach the "holy land," where the Sanjiyan were from. Toht is acting under orders to prevent them from being able to reach the "holy land" by Benares. This makes no sense later on, when we learn what Benares had in mind for Pai. The group decides to go to one of the nearby gates to enter the "holy land," but McDonald doesn't trust the little girl they brought home. Pai convinces him with her determined face expressions, and they head for the gate!

Things don't go as planned when they reach the site, as Toht shows up blowing a whistle which turns the little girl into the four armed beast lady from earlier. WHO WOULD HAVE SUSPECTED SHE WAS NOT WHAT SHE SEEMED? Things start going very badly for everyone, and Toht appears to have the upper hand, as he rushes off with beast lady to destroy the gate. Tinzin was seriously wounded fighting the beat lady and dies in Pai's arms. She snaps, turning into the Sanjiyan. However, the Sanjiyan has also lost her memory and rushes off to chase Toht and kill him. Just because.

The third episode... Prepare yourselves. You have no idea what kind of insanity awaits.
Yakumo chases the Sanjiyan, who has caught up to Toht and BL, wreaking untold havoc. The earth starts breaking apart and she wakes up to the Pai personality hanging from the edge of a piece of shifted earth. The beast lady, now in little child form, falls and she grabs onto her. It's all very dramatic, as nobody seems to be capable of doing anything. Thankfully, her guardian creature comes to save everyone, since Yakumo is now worthless, apparently.

They regroup and head to another nearby gate (convenient? what was the point of the previous stuff, then?). The incense jar requires blood of a human, and McDonald, being the only human of the group now, goes down the lane to appease the incense jar. Geez, dude, you're frigging pouring out, watch it next time! They're all teleported to a very white world with lots of stalagmites. However, we very quickly learn that they're not stalagmites at all... they're graves! Pai feels something pulling her in a direction, and they find a big turtle. It also houses some kind of blue, watery, holographic video of a very little Pai that relays some general info to anyone that would find it.

We learn that Pai was actually Pavrati the 4th, and the big bad guy (Kaiyanwang [benares' sanjiyan]) is named Shiva. Also, they were supposed to get married. And he was a full grown adult. And she looked like five in that video. Yeah. He apparently had psychic powers beyond anyone else of the Sanjiyan and attempted to rule everything. The people fought back, but every Sanjiyan, save Pai, perished after sealing Kaiyanwang into some stone. Everyone acts all mopey and split up to think or something lame.

Benares kidnaps Pai, as she is alone, and Toht (okay, Choukai, but he looks like Toht) attacks Yakumo and McDonald. He transforms into some big, nasty thing with a hole in his stomach. He captures the two and joins Benares in front of the stone where he plans to release Kaiyanwang. However, before Toht arrived, he explained to Pai that he plans to use her power to give to Kaiyanwang when he is released and she still hasn't recovered her memory. Oh, also, she apparently isn't really Pai. Well, she is, but who she thinks she is isn't who she really is.

He commands "Howasho" to remember. What? We get a flashback to the moments right before the explosion in Hong Kong where Benares explains he will seal away Pai's memory. To do this, he will have a snake demon he trusts turned into a diamond, placed on her forehead, and the snake's personality will control her. Pai arrives, the fight happens, he places the diamond on her head, and she wanders around the city finding the grandparents from before.

Let me break this down for you. There is ten minutes left in this final episode. We are just now finding out that Pai was still Pai's body, but her personality is actually a snake demon that forgot who it was when it joined with her body. Not only is there Howasho, the snake demon, there is Pai, the Sanjiyan, and Yakumo's spirit within this single body. Benares even gives Howasho an out by telling it a phrase that will release itself from Pai's body and give her back her memory. However, Howasho is scared to be found ugly by Yakumo now that it has found itself falling in love with the man who doesn't really love Howasho but Pai. However, Yakumo didn't know Pai wasn't Pai, and he still has no idea what is going on. We have ten minutes left in the final episode. Yeah. WHAT?!

So, the beast lady shows up, attacks Toht, and Yakumo blows his head off, freeing McDonald and himself. Why didn't he just do this stuff before? The heck, dude? Yakumo and Howasho try to stare Benares down, but he has a better stare. Howasho cries a lot as Yakumo, beast lady, and McDonald all fall at Benares' hand trying to let her escape. Yakumo begs for her to leave, but Howasho says she will do what she must. Yakumo thinks she's going to do what Benares asks, since he doesn't know about Howasho, but the viewer knows she's going to release Pai. She says the words, and THE SNAKE COMES OUT OF HER HEAD, SHEDS A TEAR, AND THEN EVERYTHING GOES WHITE.

The scene picks up in the ruins of the place they entered? Not sure, but the Sanjiyan sits on top of the guardian telling Yakumo that she's going to return to the "holy land" to wait for Pai to awaken. Oh, great, so she's still not awake yet. He's super confused as the Sanjiyan explains the whole snake thing to him. She rides off on the guardian, and Yakumo stares wistfully into the sky. Oh, and the beast girl and McDonald lived. They're okay too.

A young woman awakens in the hospital to the grandparents and two friends from the earlier episodes. She thinks, "Wasn't I just a snake?" She remembers the name "Yakumo," but nothing else, it seems. The Sanjiyan sits outside of her window and internally wishes Howasho the best. Wait, what? I thought the snake died? How is it a human? Better yet, how is she still the same Pai from before now? The next day, she's walking down the streets with her friends and declares aloud she would love to have a boyfriend named "Yakumo" because it's such a great name. They all run off laughing together, passing a man that turns around to see them run off happily. I hate you, Yakumo. You and your stupidly smug face...

--------------------
--------------------

I thought the
terrible amnesia crap
would last one episode, but it lasted the entire time. Not only was it painful having the roles reversed. It got way too naval gazing, but it lost all of the things from the first dvd that seemed remotely interesting.

The dynamic between the Sanjiyan and Wu was COMPLETELY abandoned, and it was replaced with just the "knight and princess" stuff the show even referred to itself. The urgency for Pai's original "I want to be a human" stuff was gone. I don't think they ever even brought it up once. It was awful, at the end, to see this random snake demon girl become a human and Pai just end up in a coma. Seriously? What kind of resolution is that?

Also, everything revolving around Benares made no sense at all. So, he wants to seal Pai's memory? Why? He wants Toht to stop them from reaching the "holy land," but he also needs her in the "holy land" to give her power to Kayainwang? He gives her the chance to not do what he spent hundreds of years trying to do by telling her the magic words? Also, is he dead? I mean, he was an immortal. He was Kaiyanwang's wu. I guess we're supposed to assume he died when things went white? Was the stone destroyed? How much damage has to be done before it no longer works? I mean, just nothing made any sense...
Oh, and the big bad guy talked about through the whole series never made a single appearance outside of flashbacks. Thanks for that payoff.

Not to mention there is no follow up on any of the characters from the first half. Or Yakumo's life. I mean, what's he going to do now? He wasn't going to go back to Tokyo until he was human. Is he just going to wander around until the Sanjiyan shows up one day and says Pai woke up? How are they going to get Pai human again? They never even found out how to in the first place. Is it possible to go back to the "holy land" and do what they needed to do? CLOSURE. DO YOU PEOPLE KNOW WHAT IT IS? AAAUUUUGGGHHHHHH!

Honestly, the snake demon/four people in one body thing should have been freaking amazing. Unfortunately, they pulled the rug out from under me at a point far too late in the game. They had set this entire volume up to be much more serious than the previous one. Maybe it suffered from the transition from manga to anime, but it feels like there are major turns in logic missing from the package. Not only was this volume just dreadfully boring, it made me hate it in the very last minutes. Something that insane should have been amazing, but they did it so badly it just made my brain hurt.

Presentation/Characters

Stuck these two together since they were both going to be quite short and semi-related.
Not much change in presentation. The footage looked like the white levels got turned way up on the second episode, but things were okay other than that. In fact, the last episode had one of the nicest fight scenes in the anime I've watched lately.
When Toht attacked McDonald and Yakumo near the end, the choreography was really nice. Not to mention, they put a lot of effort into the character movement and impact of the strikes.

Too much of the new settings felt indistinguishable, as they spent a lot of time in underground places or ruins on a regular basis. There were glimpses of interesting architecture and horizons, but they were few and far between. The designs of new characters and enemies were yawn inducing, and it just didn't bring anything worthwhile to the table. In the places closer to the end, you would expect things to have been more exotic, but it was quite the opposite. Tokyo and Hong Kong were far more developed settings, and not just because of how more busy they were. There was just more to see in those settings.

The new voice work was very mixed.
McDonald and Tinzin were entertaining, but Toht and little beast girl were often quite obnoxious. Toht sounded like he had a One Piece laugh at one part, which cracked me up, but his normal VA drove me nuts.

Of the new characters...
Tinzin was easily the best new character. He had a very raspy voice and a fantastic laugh. He lightened the mood, was actually funny, and drove the plot forward. Overall, an excellent addition to the lineup. McDonald was okay, but his one note "I wanna be rich" stuff was overbearing. He had one good scene with Yakumo talking about what the ultimate power was (fighting to protect who you love), but it was extremely brief. Toht was just annoying and not really for any purpose than drawing out sequences. The little beast girl was TERRIBLE. Between her pokemon noises and annoying animal behavior, she just frustrated me every second she was on screen.

When it came to returning characters...
I thought Yakumo might be better since he could actually fight now, but he was even less enjoyable. I liked him much better as a meat-shield in the first dvd. There was just something about this timeskip Yakumo that made me really indifferent to him altogether. I don't know exactly what it was, but he was just really, really boring. Pai was extremely disappointing. Well, more like Sanjiyan. Her complete reversal from being wide-eyed about everything and having this butt-kicking alter ego was thrown out the window in favor of a regular damsel in distress that always argued to do the right thing. That's been done to death, and it was really sad to see her giddy over boys in her school uniform or getting huffy over being treated like a kid. Give me back old Pai!

Final Thoughts

I think the best way to sum up 3x3 Eyes would be to compare it to leaning in for a kiss and the other person begins violently vomiting into your open mouth.
I had such hopeful expectations for the second half after the first half won me over with its characters and charm. The second half failed to deliver in every facet that I hoped would be firing on all cylinders. The characters that I liked previously either became unlikeable, were removed, or only lasted a short time before being killed off. The culture of the mysterious Sanjiyan was squandered. They failed to deliver on almost everything promised in the first volume, and it was just a really deflated experience.

If I came back to this series, I wouldn't mind rewatching the first volume. I will likely never watch volume two again, though.
Previously, Armitage III Dual Matrix was the only anime I had recently purchased that let me down. 3x3 isn't as boring, but Armitage didn't stick a dagger in my back like this show did.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I've actually kind of diluted much of the hype with that, lol. Before Dakkumauji and Dresden picked it up, I was the ONLY person in mangagaf that had even heard of it (unless flawfuls just decided not to speak up about it). I always considered it squarely mid-tier shounen (despite having a VERY strong intro).

Well, you at least convinced me to give it a chance after assuring me that it was indeed shounen and not shoujo based on some deceptive official art! I've loved some shounen that you've deemed "mid-tier" in the past like Busou Renkin and D.Gray-man (well, the second half at least), so it sounds like there's a fair chance that I'll enjoy Tempest.

Well, cosmic also dislikes Precure though... can you trust a man who doesn't like Precure?!

Now I'm conflicted.

hosanna backed you up!

Wonzo and me also.

True! Though, I don't think wonzo ever read the manga.

Well, you at least convinced me to give it a chance after assuring me that it was indeed shounen and not shoujo based on some deceptive official art! I've loved some shounen that you've deemed "mid-tier" in the past like Busou Renkin and D.Gray-man (well, the second half at least), so it sounds like there's a fair chance that I'll enjoy Tempest.

Really, it has some very high highs. It's just that certain scenes kind of bring it down to "just good" if not a tiny bit lower than that. For like 2 volumes straight, there's a really long-winded mind game that's more convoluted than it is interesting (like say something like Kaiji or some of the strategy-heavy shounens like JJBA).

The good parts will be good though. I imagine certain things will look VERY good animated.

Now I'm conflicted.

Eh, guess I just don't like magical girl/super sentai tropes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom