• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

That's a pretty common face shape in anime, really.

Yeah but there's something really unnatural about these chins in particular, especially how the straight sides of Aladdin's face form into sharp lines that make up his chin. I dunno, maybe I've been starring at the faces for too long, but usually there's at least some attempt to make the curves look different on each of the main characters. I'm going crazy!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Yeah but there's something really unnatural about these chins in particular, especially how the straight sides of Aladdin's face form into sharp lines that make up his chin. I dunno, maybe I've been staring at the faces for too long, but usually there's at least some attempt to make the curves look different on each of the main characters. I'm going crazy!

That's all that's really happening here. ^^

EDIT: Oh god it's happening to me now

I can't stop thinking about it

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Yeah but there's something really unnatural about these chins in particular, especially how the straight sides of Aladdin's face form into sharp lines that make up his chin. I dunno, maybe I've been starring at the faces for too long, but usually there's at least some attempt to make the curves look different on each of the main characters. I'm going crazy!
I think it's the pointy chins coupled with the Godzilla foreheads.

fertygo

I thought its borrowed from the mangaka style.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Kokoro Connect 1

Oh, hi K-On!.

R49fI.jpg

That wasn't bad. It was actually kind of funny... But probably mostly because it's been a while since the last time I watched a show focused on genderbent characters.

The characters, just like the ones in Tari Tari, aren't stupid - and that's always good. Inaba stood out, but the fact that the main boy is a wrestling fan also caught my attention, haha. They didn't seem too bothered by the fact that they freaking swapped bodies, though, and I felt that was a bit weird, considering that the world they live in is... Well, regular.

It seems to be much more interesting than Natsuiro Kiseki, so maybe I'll watch it on Sunday mornings.

:Chet Rippo

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So, while wondering who the character designer for Magi could be, and looking at the three key visuals again, I've now seen something that can never be unseen.

http://i.imgur.com/hCSN1.jpg[IMG][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/0SuIW.jpg[IMG][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/m8eC0.jpg[IMG]

All the face designs look like this:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Q9Pmf.jpg

Every show is starting to draw inspiration from Un-Go. What a lasting legacy that show is leaving.

Kokoro Connect 1
The characters, just like the ones in Tari Tari, aren't stupid - and that's always good. Inaba stood out, but the fact that the main boy is a wrestling fan also caught my attention, haha. They didn't seem too bothered by the fact that they freaking swapped bodies, though, and I felt that was a bit weird, considering that the world they live in is... Well, regular.

? I dont understand. They woke up in the morning freaked out about it, then they spent the entire club time discussing it, and then they even went to hope affected by it, enough that their relatives could tell that something was on their minds.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Natsuyuki Rendezvous - 1

Could be good and not as bad as the plot summery made it out to be. DOn't see it becoming the new Ghost mind.

Also I think we need even more anime with grumpy looking protagonists. First Hyouka and now this.

sonicmj1

Repeat to yourself, "It's just anime."
"I should really just relax."

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
wait, so they really are supposed to have middle eastern influence in the designs?

Uh... yes? It has an Arabian Nights-esque setting. What part of "Magi is like One Piece x FMA x Arabian Nights" are you having trouble understanding?

duckroll

I thought its borrowed from the mangaka style.

I've been reading the manga and while there are some similarities, the extent of the angular faces is definitely unique to the anime designs. In the manga their faces change quite a bit depending on the scenes, but even when they're "normal" and shaped like that, they are more rounded in the chin and on the sides. Even in the 15-sec TVCM for Magi, you can see that in the animation the faces are really angular and you can make out the specific diverging points on the line art.

wonzo

Banned
Moyashimon 4

The most horrifying of all secret bases. Not even a cows anus could possibly hope to compare.

Someone is finally watching the series in the order that I and other's have suggested. Yay!

I suppose I should let you know that the series isn't really up to the same level as the film, but that's just something that you'll have to accept.
That's a real shame. :(

Q9Pmf.jpg
... The horror! The horror!

Brazil

? I dont understand. They woke up in the morning freaked out about it, then they spent the entire club time discussing it, and then they even went to hope affected by it, enough that their relatives could tell that something was on their minds.

I don't know. I'd freak out a lot more than that.

If they use some turkey/instanbul stuff for real then the show will not look very arabian nights like.

white kids are the smallest problem in Magi

Brazil

In India fairness is considered part of beauty. They sell creams that whiten the skin like how we have spray on tan to darken the skin. It's a crazy world.

The grass is always greener on the other side, etc.

Grzi

Saw an interesting Type-Moon FES announcement:

Fate/Apocrypha written by Higashide Yuuichiro, winter 2012. Features 14 servants–7 red servants vs. 7 black servants. The story will be centered around Jeanne.

Hopefully we'll see an anime adaptation, those character designs mustn't go to waste!

duckroll

Tsunenori Saito has done a new piece of original art to promote Soko*Ani's latest podcast episode which is a Sword of the Stranger special retrospective, I hope his artwork for the upcoming Zetsuen will look as good as this:

JZzRk.jpg

Jex

So, while wondering who the character designer for Magi could be, and looking at the three key visuals again, I've now seen something that can never be unseen.

Q9Pmf.jpg

Welcome to the world of same-shape head design! It's been around for awhile.

-Minsc-

Super Space Bros. - 15

What everyone else said. I like how all their problems are kept down to earth and real while at the same time they can make it feel tense. Put any of us in a similar sealed environment and we'd begin showing the signs of stress they are.

Preview for next week:
When it was casually mentioned last week that Serika always prepares too much for meals I wondered if that would cause trouble later. It was specifically stated they only have so much food to ration. I give props to how they set up this plot element without shoving the setup in our face before hand.

Hunter x Hunter 38
tumblr_m6tua7TFB81qfwde8o1_500.gif

It is so odd to see videogames and laptops and auction sites in this anime, or for some reason to me. And then having explanations of what an indie game is, Killua really knows his videogames and then getting mad at the developer too.

But all it really made me do was just wonder who or what in the world is Greed Island, especially if its worth so much, and what brother is doing, and Baterra?

Preview:
I hope Kurapika knows nen stuff now and will actually rise to Killua's level, hopefully stuff gets intense fast now that weve had three cool down episodes

duckroll

sure, a beatiful and exotic city but it doesn't change the facht that the Turkey (and espencially Istanbul) and the arabian countries are different kind of things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architecture_of_Istanbul

I don't see what a wikipedia article has to do with anything. Here's an example of what "Arabian Nights" conjures in most people's minds: http://fineartamerica.com/featured/arabian-nights-art-nomad-sandra-hansen.html

It's just exotic stories and locales set in the Middle East, India, and parts of Asia. You're putting too much thought into what makes an "authentic" Arabian Nights setting, especially when the stories compiled in what most people know as 1001 Nights were put together by Westerners expanding on a base story concept from many different sources.

Jex

Man I was actually seriously considering watching Sword Art Online I'm glad Duckroll and Jexhius prevented me from making that mistake! :D

And yet you did it anyway!
It's BBC Alba
http://www.bbc.co.uk/alba/

And wiki says:

The game master is a Scot. End of that mystery.
Sadly, BBC Alba don't have a different logo to the BBC.

Also, I am pretty sure the BBC wouldn't know or care if some harem anime used their logo for five seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom