• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
In 2022 Scotland still doesn't have independence, but to make up for it they got their own BBC logo.

Jex

Sword Art Online 1

I wonder if they'll touch the subject of how the developers had to
actually give the avatars their sexual organs because male players would get insanely anxious without them during the Beta test, haha.
It's mentioned in that chapter, but they could fit it among the parts they're actually going to adapt.

Why does all the best parts of Sword Art Online, and by best I mean funniest/trashiest, sound like they're never going to make into the anime? Truly, it is the greatest tragedy of our times.

Jarmel

Banned
Saw an interesting Type-Moon FES announcement:

Hopefully we'll see an anime adaptation, those character designs mustn't go to waste!

You mean ones like this?

ConanEdogawa4ee6c8ace5c8d.jpg

I can deal with making Arthur a female but Jack the Ripper being a scantily-dressed loli is where I jump ship.

Jex

Hi Magi fans, it's not Wednesday yet, but here's a lower resolution sneak peak at the key visual for Mor! :)

i7eY8.jpg

Duckroll, are you sure it's even legal to post such an image? It doesn't look like something our google overlords would approve of.

Duckroll, are you sure it's even legal to post such an image? It doesn't look like something our google overlords would approve of.

funny enough, i got banned for a somewhat similar pose pic :p

HxH 38

What a weird start to an arc. I'm not too sure that's how video games work... but who knows with Sony memory lol. Piggy's anime potato chip bag is amazing though. Wish bags irl had that much chips.

faridmon

What's wrong with yaoi?

Everything.

Anyway, Kids on Slope 7-10

Is it just me or the series feels slower? Much slower? Like I said, the series is quite good when its about the friendship of the two main characters and sort of brakes down when all those other characters are introduced into the mix. Great Music and atmosphere, but I don't enjoy love triangle in Animes because they never make sense.

sure, a beatiful and exotic city but it doesn't change the facht that the Turkey (and espencially Istanbul) and the arabian countries are different kind of things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architecture_of_Istanbul
There are of course a lot of Vernacular architecture to be considered in middle-east and North of Africa, but the two main architectural styles are Moorish Architecture and Byzantine architecture.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Good call.

I also was a tad disappointed with how the girl from the other world, that was set in some medieval era, is taking this whole adjustment being brought into this world with cars and shit. Way too well. I can't imagine people from an era with no technology getting their blood drawn and shit without a fight.

But there's lots that pisses me off about this show. Like, this show had more bras and panties in it in 5 minutes than all the shows I've watched this season and even though they were medieval era bras and panties they were expertly crafted by modern standards, you might say indistinguishable from what one would wear today. Grrr. Ah, but the main problem wasn't the quality of the bras and the panties mind you it was the stupid panty removing slight of hand that was the real issue, don't misunderstand me.

But really, everything about the show sucks.

I get you. Sorry you had to take the bullet to find this out for yourself.

You mean ones like this?

I can deal with making Arthur a female but Jack the Ripper being a scantily-dressed loli is where I jump ship.

What the hell? I thought I was in the TERA thread for a sec.

Jex

Take the best bits of FMA and One Piece, mix them together and add a sprinkle Arabian Nights and you've got Magi. It is incredible.

I am going to print this quote out and frame it somewhere so that if everything goes horribly wrong I can blame you.

Tanken Driland 1
tumblr_m6un9cIqxy1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Apart from the Princess wanting to be a hunter thing, the anime is really just really standard fantasy adventure though for a younger audience. Feels like one of those cartoons that would air in the morning right before school starts. Even more the enemies when defeated seem to just vanish... Main character, the princess, is not really interesting, but I guess Ill stick and watch considering Wallens (above) is actually pretty cool and I bet most likely a hunter, and the other two people who may join up. Actually he's hilarious how he avoids anything about it.

The OP is not that good, but I loved the Ending even if it feature like ten seconds of them just running, something about the song sounds really nice and its kind of stylish.

Jex

You shouldn't let nitpicking about elements that don't matter at all dissuade you. 1st episode is good.

I don't think it counts as nitpicking if the stupidity inherent in the premise is enough to distract you from the work that you're watching because you keep thinking about how dumb it is.

Grzi

You mean ones like this?

I was thinking more in the line of Saint George, Siegfried and Karna :(

And Caster Shakespeare, of course.

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita 2
I don't want to post any images that would uh, spoil things, but this was a pretty funny episode. If you enjoyed the absurdities from last week, it only gets more insane here.

Reknoc

Humanity has Declined 2

Might be a bit premature but so far this is my favourite show of the season. The section with the glasses translating profanities literally was great. Bothers me that no one has nails though.

Firemind

Perhaps it's unwarranted, but after such classics as The Sacred Blacksmith, Tower of Druaga, Tears to Tiara, Legend of the Legendary Heroes and Queen's Blade, I've come to the conclusion that Japan isn't very good at creating high fantasy.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Perhaps it's unwarranted, but after such classics as The Sacred Blacksmith, Tower of Druaga, Tears to Tiara, Legend of the Legendary Heroes and Queen's Blade, I've come to the conclusion that Japan isn't very good at creating high fantasy.

Well, to be fair there are only like five authors in the entire world capable of creating good high fantasy.

Jarmel

Banned
I was thinking more in the line of Saint George, Siegfried and Karna :(

And Caster Shakespeare, of course.

There are some interesting designs but there are some really atrocious ones too like loli-Frankenstein that really kill the mood.

faridmon

I really liked Tower of Druaga and its sequel. It was really funny.

Dresden

Why does all the best parts of Sword Art Online, and by best I mean funniest/trashiest, sound like they're never going to make into the anime? Truly, it is the greatest tragedy of our times.

don't worry, the tentacles should be in.

Asuna endured, throttling down a scream, as she tried to force her finger closer to the button, but the tentacle held onto her like steel wire and and didn't even budge. She tried to use her left hand, but just as she started to move it, a new tentacle twined around her arm. Asuna hands were pulled into the air, the rest of her body following.

The slug extended more tentacles, and wrapped up her entire body. Enfolded mercilessly, the wire-like tentacles cut into the flesh of her stomach and thighs.

Asuna desperately resisted, but the slug immediately extended new tentacles. Touching the skin of Asuna's leg, the tentacles slowly reached up into her dress.
Asuna endured this unpleasant feeling, and pretended to lose all the strength in her body, and the ability to resist. The slug, taking advantage of that, moved a tentacle toward her mouth.

jbug617

Banned
Kuroko no Basket - 14

The new opening is good, although I did enjoy the first one more. Don't care about the ED.
The episode itself was pretty good, a nice setup for things to come.

There's 11 more episodes, and they still need to beat three more miracle generation players. Is it possible to fit all of that in the remaining episodes, manga readers? How far along is the manga anyway?

They have so much to fit in 12 episodes. Let's just say that
they will also have to face other teams that do not have Generation of Miracles players on them

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Sword Art Online - 01

Alright, so the
developer's purpose was to create a world just so he could screw with the people in it?
What a bastard.

I found myself smiling at some bits, like when Klein asked Kirito to show him the ropes on how to play the game. It gave me flashbacks of my early days of WoW.

Kirito seems like an alright character, we'll see how he develops in the next few episodes.

The mirror scene was the best part about this episode. So true... so true.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've definitely been encouraged by all the positive feedback it seems to be getting. The humour looks intact, which is the main thing.

The only minus is the previous cavalcade of absolute shit that has been released with the South Park name on it. But I at least trust Obsidian to have the gameplay elements on lock.
I hope you get to play Chase the Dragon at some point.

Surely you mean 'only celebrated', right? Because Genshiken was realistic about otaku culture, but it was never all-out dismissive of it like you're implying.
I'll admit that it wasn't pure troll like Welcome to the NHK, but it went out of its way to show that people grow up at the very least. Saki really is the voice of reason in that show, and while she integrates into the club eventually, it's really about how they cope with a transitional period of their lives.

Woah, firehawk12 dropping the hate bombs. I just thought it was really stupid, you seem to be actually offended by it's existence.
Honestly, I think it's hyperbolic whenever anime reviewers talk about shows being destructive to the community, usually in regards to harem shows or whatever, but this show's very premise is just sad. It crosses over into self-indulgence in a way that is both overly cynical on the part of the author and self-destructive to its audience - very much like Twilight or Fifty Shades of Grey.

---
Tanken Driland
MHvEEl.jpg

They're so small and cute.

So, this seems to be like Brave, with a princess that wants to be a warrior instead. Given that crap I've seen this week, it's fairly inoffensive fantasy show (outside of the chibi character designs).

Dresden

campione - 01

it was as bad as I expected going in. Bland and boring and stupid--typical LN adaptation. I lasted until the part with the booze.

vqGJBl.jpg

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I shall listen to Ave Maria whenever I eat chicken from this day forward.

Seriously.

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita 2

Simply mindblowing. Screencaps would spoil the fun.
I was laughing during the whole chicken speech. And the scene with the chickens falling down the hill... God, hahaha.

Horizon II ep 1
tumblr_m6uq97Emg81qbxqfpo1_500.png

Probably will end up rewatching midweek since there seemed to be so much going on. The first episode was pretty great considering all that happened. So much naked Tori which led to hilarious moments though
have they even explained how he got that scar? on his arm?
, as well as Deadly Armaments, God of War/Divine Arms, and my favorite Tres Espana Alcala de Henares's Third Officer, Gin Tachibana's, Arcabuz Cruz, and Slicing Dragonfly. I liked seeing everyone again, like Noriki, as well as just hearing the background musics, really great music.

Musashi with no allies has to be tough, no help with Tres Espana, and now a full on assault from Great Britain. Hope they last through the three minutes to make it. Neshinbara vs the other author, is compelling.

Ultimadrago

Man I was actually seriously considering watching Sword Art Online I'm glad Duckroll and Jexhius prevented me from making that mistake! :D

Sword Art Online 1 - Didn't find this to be particularly great, but the NERD factor in this is strong, and thus I might actually watch the rest of the series, because it really feels like it's catering to the inner nerd in me.:(

I hope they have raid bosses, looking for healers and other classic MMO tropes in it.

Someone's being wishy-washy!

Soma

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita Episode 02

Yeah this is pretty much the most hilarious show of the season (so far at least). Sorry Binbougami Ga!

Best usage of Ave Maria I've seen in a while.

Andrew J.

Deadman Wonderland 07

A disappointingly grounded episode. Why,
an evil Buddhist monk who uses an electric guitar as a weapon
is downright pedestrian compared with everything that's come before.

Actually, the dude didn't come across as perverted at all - there was no overt sexual motivation in anything he did. It's more a combination of pragmatism and plain old trolling.
I guess so. Still prefer this kind of protagonist than the kind like the one from Haiyore! Nyaruko-san.
I don't expect this show to wow me, but it might turn out alright.

Go_Ly_Dow

Okay, so what it is with modern anime and mystery genres? Why does every single one in recent memory have a eye-motif with the female lead (I don't care if the female lead disguises as a young boy, it's still a female lead)?

all trying too hard.

chihaya has the best eyes in anime!

oasGd.jpg

*remembers season 2 has been greenlit*

:D

Hopefully we'll see an anime adaptation, those character designs mustn't go to waste!

Always focus on Saber someone who looks like Saber.

But, yes, would be cool to see all those character designs get put to good use.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You've still got Getter Robo Armageddon waiting on you son!

I haven't forgotten, I just have to catch up on the last 3-ish weeks of anime first!

Type-Moon Fes Day 2 just announced details on the Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya anime:

Director: Shin Oonuma
Animation Production: Silver Link

It will be released in 2013.

Lololololololol. Silver Link. LOL.

5XuA9.png

Prisma Illya is a guaranteed seller, so some extra expenditure on actual animation is probably a given.

So, while wondering who the character designer for Magi could be, and looking at the three key visuals again, I've now seen something that can never be unseen.

hCSN1.jpg
0SuIW.jpg
m8eC0.jpg

All the face designs look like this:

Q9Pmf.jpg

Hey, that's the shape that I was taught to draw from my How to Draw Anime book in high school!

CASTER SHAKESPEARE is totally worth suffering the presence of shitty loli Jack the Ripper. I'm glad to see that the Apocrypha universe and characters are finally being salvaged and put to some good use.

Jex

[Gunslinger Girl – 9]

I briefly talked about this episode when I first watched it however I promised that, in the light of how well made it was, a lengthier review and analysis was on the cards. Today I have come to deliver that analysis and, at the same time, give the show itself a rather closer look that I have done previously. This episode touches on a number of Gunslinger Girl’s (hereafter referred to as GG for the sake of brevity) core ideas and themes so by I talking about episode nine at length I will hopefully be able to expose some things about the series as a whole. At least, that’s the idea.

Then again, I might just end up killing you all with reams of text. I hope not.

Premise

Just as a brief primer for those unfamiliar with the premise of GG: There’s a mysterious agency in Italy that takes young (pre-teen) girls who have been severely damaged physically and gives them some fantastic medical treatment to repair their bodies. However, this gift comes at a steep price. They are made into brainwashed cyborg assassins. Go on, read that sentence again because it sounds really stupid. I suppose that it is really stupid in concept, but the execution here is simply superb. Morio Asaka and Madhouse treat this concept extremely seriously and the whole production is far classier than you’d imagine. Just check out this OP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTxkOM7PMRE

Character Dynamics

The main dynamic in the series is between these girls and their handlers. The handler is someone, always a man, who trains and teaches the girls how to fight and kill their enemies, who are usually criminals or terrorists. As I mentioned above these girls are young, as in pre-teen, and as if the whole set-up wasn’t creepy enough each of the girls has their handler ‘imprinted’ onto their minds so they are brainwashed to trust and believe in them at all times.

Being a cyborg assassin carries with it a number of dangers, the least of which is getting shot and killed on a mission. Far more problematic is the lack of personal freedom, the implied threat of extended brainwashing,
memory loss
and suffering a somewhat shortened lifespan.

How the handlers react to being locked in this dynamic varies. Some stoically except it, some don’t even think about it, others try do their best for their charges and other’s try and fight the system. However, all of them are complicity, to some extent or another, in extensive and systematic child abuse. These are our heroes.

Plot/Character Interactions

As with most episodes in the series, the ‘mission’ that the Agency has to undertake here is relatively simple: assassinate a corrupt police captain. The planning and execution of this isn’t really the key focus of the episode either, what we’re actually focused on is the complicated relationship between the girls and their handlers. The episode may culminate with the execution of this mission but the emotional culmination of this episode is to do with how the characters interact with each other.

In essence, this is what makes GG a far better show than it appears. There are girls, and they have guns, but the show isn’t really about watching these girls shoot things, it’s about characters and their relationships in an extremely messed up and disturbing situation.

This episode introduces us to the handler/girl pairing of Elsa and Lauro. The opening act of the episode involves Elsa attacking some people associated with the corrupt police official. It’s not just some throwaway action sequence though, we actually learn nearly everything we need to know about Elsa and Lauro through their interactions (or non-interactions, as the case may be).

gg9k.png

The first thing that I noticed was how Elsa and Lauro don’t appear in the same frame together throughout most of this sequence. The general set up for these missions involves the handler talking to the girl about what their objectives are and how they will execute them. This nearly always takes place in a space where both characters are next to each other physically. Here, however, we don’t see any character interaction between Elsa and Lauro in his car. We don’t even seem them sitting in his car together, even though they must have come together. This is extremely deliberate. The line above, ‘Don’t be careless’ is actually spoken between Lauro and another person, not to Elsa.

gg9l.png

Once Elsa has scouted out her location she finally contacts Lauro and, predictably, their discussion is short and to the point. They communicate with each other, but impersonally and at a great distance. After that Elsa carries out her mission was predictable ruthless efficiency. All the action sequences in this show are brief, explosive and well shot. What interested me, however, is this barely noticeable character movement that happens just before she goes and shoots everyone:

gg9j.png

She’s just preparing herself in the lift to go execute her mission and for whatever reason having her hair in the correct position is important to here. This is a character who strives to achieve the best possible results. Why does she try so hard? What drives her forward?

gg9i.png

When she goes to meet up with her handler Lauro she’s clearly excited to tell him how well she achieved her mission and it’s the first time we see her smile (and one of the few times she looks happy over the course of the episode). However, Lauro doesn’t give her the recognition that she craves and she is clearly shocked and disappointed that he ignores what she’s saying so that he can complain about something irrelevant, like how much of the film roll did she use.

gg9h.png

The animation for her ‘shocked’ face is great because they give her expression the time to change from one thing to another and it allows you read how she’s reacting to the conversation without her having to express it vocally. This episode, and the series in general, uses a lot of this subtle ‘character acting’ to convey ideas and thoughts.

gg9g.png

As the episode progress we learn about how Elsa doesn’t really fit in with the rest of the girls in the agency. Not only she is an antisocial loner but
she is obsessively protective of her relationship with Lauro up to the point where she tells Henrietta that none of the other girls truly cares about their handlers like Elsa cares about Lauro. She explicitly admits that she’s in love with him, which is something we may suspect about other handler relationships such as Henrietta and Jose’s.
. This is a theme that’s been swirling around at the back of the series but it’s really interesting to see them bring it to the forefront and talk about it here.

To make things interesting, Jose/Henrietta and Lauro/Elsa have to work together on their next mission. It’s from here on out that things really start to ratchet up.

We’re treated to an interesting conversation between Jose and Lauro that occurs while drinking (as all the best conversations are want to). They discuss the different approaches to being a handler. Lauro find’s Jose’s doting over Henrietta disgusting and possibly creepy. Lauro treats Elsa like the tool she is and this has worked really well. Je would never understand doing something like buying her perfume, which is something Jose did for Henrietta. After all, you don’t buy a gun perfume. The script is great for this section as well because Lauro never refers to Elsa by name; he calls her ‘the cyborg’. He doesn’t feel the need to refer to her as if she were a person.

The remainder of this episode is devoted to contrasting the relationship between Jose and Henrietta with the relationship between Lauro and Elsa. I won’t explicitly spoil what happens over the rest of the episode but I will say that upon witnessing the manner in which Jose/Henrietta act Elsa becomes less and less satisfied with the treatment she receives from Lauro. I’ll let these images speak for themselves.

gg9f.png
gg9e.png

gg9d.png
gg9c.png

gglauro.png
gg9a.png

In the end it turns out that what Lauro chooses not to care about and actively ignore is the most important part of his whole job. It will be interesting to see what repercussions, if any, will behalf him for not understanding this very basic principal.

gg9.png

I’ll just make one final point about the climax of the episode. If this was an action show the completion of their mission would be an exciting action sequence with energetic music playing, however here we are treated to a desaturated, precise, emotionless exercise. Marvellous.

Tsunenori Saito has done a new piece of original art to promote Soko*Ani's latest podcast episode which is a Sword of the Stranger special retrospective, I hope his artwork for the upcoming Zetsuen will look as good as this:

JZzRk.jpg

That would look great for Zetsuen. Can't wait for that debate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom