• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defuser

La storia della Arcana Famiglia 02:

This was................amazing

hey wouldn't it be a great idea if we spent an entire episode of our twelve episode battle shounen series chasing a cat? That sounds like a wise use of our limited time and a great way to get the audience invested in the characters and hyped for the Arcana Duello.

The single most worthless episode of anime I've watched in a long time. Bravo. Also:
Battle shounen? Really?lol
Didn't the one girl multiple guys harem scenario give away enough hints that you shouldn't expect much from a otome game?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Rinne no Lagrange

Wan?

As a quick and dirty way to basically reset the ending of the finale of the first cour and reintroduce the players (
the "good" guys are bad because they are goal-driven, the "bad" guys are good because they have "humanity"), I suppose it served its purpose.

My shot in the dark prediction is that
some larger enemy will reveal itself and the characters have to work together
. But, we'll see. lol

Articalys

Hyouka 11.5

Low-quality Ustream broadcast goooo

Eru in a bikini is the most persuasive force in the universe for Houtarou, it seems.
Anyway, this did provide a sort of epilogue for Houtarou's state of mind after the events of the last story arc, though.

But it didnt seem like either was actually aiming to fight Madoka, why let her live in peace for a year if that was the case?

Because anime.
the timeskip was needed to allow an 'escalation' in the war, sides seem to be matched now that both sides have Vox units. Madoka's existence is the epicenter, whoever can kill, seize, or manipulate Madoka/Midori will win the war.

We still don't know why the war even started, do we? Lan's brother is a huge asshole, and we have no knowledge as to why. Rinne is good because it can mix the slice of life goofiness with darker undertones, we don't know anything about the supposed apocalypse that created the 3 factions, nor who or what the Vox phenomenon is(Or the woman that saved Madoka last season).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Looking back at the shows I've watched, outside of random sequels which I don't think I'll check out, the only show I haven't seen that hasn't aired is Ebiten: Kouritsu Ebi Sugawa Koukou Tenmonbu. I suppose I shouldn't cheat and watch the first episode of Kingdom and Horizon, but I'll call Kingdom a spring show and let wonzo suffer through that and... I guess I have no excuse for not watching Horizon beyond not wanting to watch it. lol

Perhaps because it's spread out across a week, but it actually doesn't seem like there are that many anime airing this season. Either that, or half of them are exactly the same and I've conflated all of them into one show that encompasses all tropes.

Because anime.
the timeskip was needed to allow an 'escalation' in the war, sides seem to be matched now that both sides have Vox units. Madoka's existence is the epicenter, whoever can kill, seize, or manipulate Madoka/Midori will win the war.

We still don't know why the war even started, do we? Lan's brother is a huge asshole, and we have no knowledge as to why. Rinne is good because it can mix the slice of life goofiness with darker undertones, we don't know anything about the supposed apocalypse that created the 3 factions, nor who or what the Vox phenomenon is(Or the woman that saved Madoka last season).

The darker tones aren't really that dark though, because it's just meant as character development shorthand and doesn't really feel thematic

wonzo

Banned
Humanity has Declined 2

jinrui2.jpg
Geoff did all of it!

Oh wow. I already knew about
the skinned chickens
thanks to the PV's but I totally didn't see it going in that direction, especially the scene after the credits. That was utterly brilliant. Everyone needs to see this.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Battle shounen? Really?lol
Didn't the one girl multiple guys harem scenario give away enough hints that you shouldn't expect much from a otome game?

Battle shounen and otome game aren't mutually exclusive genres. There can be hasubandos, there can be hotblooded fights, something for everyone.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Humanity has Declined 2

Geoff did all of it!

Oh wow. I already knew about
the skinned chickens
thanks to the PV's but I totally didn't see it going in that direction, especially the scene after the credits. That was utterly brilliant. Everyone needs to see this.

Notice how
Geoff is the only one with his eyes closed there! A giveaway if I ever saw one.

The story book was the first moment in the second episode where I started to laugh uncontrollably.

The darker tones aren't really that dark though, because it's just meant as character development shorthand and doesn't really feel thematic

I agree. The scene with
Lan mindrape
seemed out of place almost, maybe this will be a turning point in tone?

Either way, I'm happy.

Narag

Ninja Gaiden

This 1991 OVA is a loose sequel of sorts to the first NES title. Some time after Ryu killed Jacqio, he's living in NYC when he's attacked by assassins and he resumes his role of the Dragon Ninja as a new enemy appears to resurrect some evil god. He has some help courtesy of his friend Robert (voiced by Norio Wakamoto!), Robert's partner, and Irene Lew.

I was rather cold on this initially but it felt familiar all the same. It turns out it's because this is like some love letter to 80s action flicks and I was experiencing a familiar sense of restlessness I deal with during the setup portion of most 80s action films. I found this surprisingly enjoyable once the pieces were in place though. The assault on the factory had this great feel as the enemy was mowed down and guns seemingly had limitless ammo. Other elements I enjoyed were Robert & Jeff's gunplay work as a great complement to Ryu's ninja feats, the bloody over the top violence, and surprisingly decent action. The synthesized score evokes a sense of wistfulness for the decade before as well. Even he weakest part is the thin plot that's used to enable the action pieces but even then it's serviceable enough and not without its own twists.

Gotta get those establishing shots in so you don't forget the time period or location, but if you do there's a Ghostbusters joke thrown in later too.

Such tangible bromance.

My only regret while watching this is that the the below wasn't part of a larger suit-up scene.

It's just especially striking when you line all of them up like that. I mean Kirei got 8th place; is there any Type Moon female as interesting as him?
I would think the chances of good women characters coming from an eroge or spin-off of one would be pretty low.

Reknoc

Hunter x Hunter 12

Monkey penis. There's totally a monkey penis in this show. I feel violated after seeing that, my innocence ripped from me. After all this censorship and I still get a monkey's nob waved in front of my innocent eyes.

Anyway I guess the next episode is a clip show or something (do they really still do that) is there anything new or will I be better off just skipping it?

Hunter x Hunter 12

Monkey penis. There's totally a monkey penis in this show. I feel violated after seeing that, my innocence ripped from me. After all this censorship and I still get a monkey's nob waved in front of my innocent eyes.

Anyway I guess the next episode is a clip show or something (do they really still do that) is there anything new or will I be better off just skipping it?

Skip nothing new in either of the two clipshows.

Heroman 7
tumblr_m6vb41bc4y1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Lina is so dumb, ugh!
following Joey and ruining the whole plans, why couldnt she have gone with Psy and Denton?!

The song is memorable, definitely one of Flow's most memorable since Naruto.

.hack//Harsh Realm Sword Art Online 1:

Wow. That was actually not terrible. In fact, it was very nicely animated and made effective use of CG. They actually are getting better at blending CG and hand-drawn elements, and making shots that are entirely CG look natural. Including that silly camera pan at the end of the episode.

It remains to be seen if sheer animation quality can make this show not a crummy haremshit, but someone at A-1 Pictures seems serious about it. With the nice animation and the LiSA-performed OP, I can almost pretend I'm watching Fate/Zero again. Actually, no I can't. It's good to hear LiSA's voice again though.

This was the first time I watched an anime episode on my new laptop. The nice animation made it a good test case, and I'm pleased to say it passed with flying colors. A good 15"+ screen laptop still beats the ever-loving shit out of a tablet for watching anime.

Articalys

Hyouka 12

Welcome to KANYA FESTA!

Cute episode, lots of little things that add up to make it fun to watch, especially Eru the easily distracted. Poor girl just can't catch a break. I have a wild guess at where Houtarou's subplot might be going, but I wouldn't mind if I was wrong.

Also, no new OP this week, but the new ending song and animation are both AWESOME.

Rinne no Lagrange 13
This was actually a decent opening. It mostly had a somber and foreboding tone, but I'm sure we'll get back to the harem hijinks in two weeks once things are sorted out. Things would be a little more tense if it wasn't obvious that the three main characters are all well-intentioned people who will be back to being buddies again soon enough. The actual motivations and explanations behind these space wars remain as vague and unexplored as ever, but I don't really expect more at this point.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I agree. The scene with
Lan mindrape
seemed out of place almost, maybe this will be a turning point in tone?

Either way, I'm happy.
Yeah, it existed just to remind you of
her brother and how he treats her. That's why you have the contrasting scene with Mugi and her "brother" and how their relationships compare. Blood relations are weaker than relations born out of love and necessity and so forth.

It works for what it does, but I don't know if it's any real indication of what the show is going to be like moving forward.

GJS

Muv-Luv Alternative ep 2

I'm confused.
Wikipedia lists this series as Romantic Comedy.
These first 2 episodes have been the most horrific, bleak and depressing anime I've seen in some time.
Just about everyone dies. Some are eaten alive. If someone looks happy, it's because they're about to die in the next 3 seconds and their happiness was put there just to make the death scene more poignant.
I'm trying to reconcile a name like "Muv-Luv", and romantic comedy with a show which seems to be the exact opposite of this.

The original Muv Luv visual novel was a rom-com, which was followed by some other visual novels which got progressively more tragic. Total Eclipse is a spin-off of Muv-luv alternative and it's basically just a bleak sci-fi mech series.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Hyouka 12

Welcome to KANYA FESTA!

Cute episode, lots of little things that add up to make it fun to watch, especially Eru the easily distracted. Poor girl just can't catch a break. I have a wild guess at where Houtarou's subplot might be going, but I wouldn't mind if I was wrong.

Also, no new OP this week, but the new ending song and animation are both AWESOME.

The dancing in the middle of the episode should be gif'd

Phi Brain 2 ep 14
tumblr_m6vd171R6q1qi7x9t.jpg

Best episode of the season thus far. It was awesome, Freecell had great scenes and moments but more importantly, when
Rook! showed up and puzzle timed with Kaito. Ive been waiting so long for a Kaito Rook teamup!
, I couldnt help smiling and being all excited.
Bishop showing up too was awesome.
It really brought the entire feel of the first half of the anime back, especially
Hubert Mueller being another giver that cheats and then getting all angry throwing teacups and what not in true rage mode

I really hope Freecell gets his puzzle time with Kaito. Everyone wants it.

Joshiraku 1

Sorry crazy depressed girl, but this is boring as shit. I mean it's cool Otae is in it and all, but come on, stop doing nothing!

I'll admit, I laughed at the page flipping while red was naked and the dogs attacking the kanji. That's about it though. I imagine this will be like SZS where it's mostly just cool in retrospect.

icecream

Public Health Threat
I'm confused.

I'm trying to reconcile a name like "Muv-Luv", and romantic comedy with a show which seems to be the exact opposite of this.
Muv-Luv Extra: ADV with characters in the standard HS romantic comedy harem situation.

Muv-Luv Unlimited: Parallel world where the characters live in a time where the BETA have invaded mankind and thus their lives are all messed up.

Muv-Luv Alternative: Same protagonist wakes up in normal HS setting again, but realizes he was sent back in time to before the events in Unlimited to save humanity.

Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse: Author of Muv-Luv series goes to write more about the Alternative storyline but this time more Gundam-like with more mechas, more action, and less political (toning down ideas about the Emperor System and patriotism).

Joshiraku 1

Sorry crazy depressed girl, but this is boring as shit. I mean it's cool Otae is in it and all, but come on, stop doing nothing!

I'll admit, I laughed at the page flipping while red was naked and the dogs attacking the kanji. That's about it though. I imagine this will be like SZS where it's mostly just cool in retrospect.

So it must be good.

wonzo

Banned
Hyouka 12

Damn, that new ED ownes. There was some pretty good animation in this episode so it was rather nice to watch... that was until I noticed the use CG crowds when Oreki and Chitanda were looking down on the choir. Unacceptable.

KyoAni is dead to me.

hyouka12a.jpg

duckroll

Hyouka 11.5

Low-quality Ustream broadcast goooo

Eru in a bikini is the most persuasive force in the universe for Houtarou, it seems.
Anyway, this did provide a sort of epilogue for Houtarou's state of mind after the events of the last story arc, though.

Is this actually watchable? I saw some of the stream and it seemed really really low-res and just generally annoying in terms of how the brightness/contrast/etc all seem off. I don't want to go blind... :(

Is this actually watchable? I saw some of the stream and it seemed really really low-res and just generally annoying in terms of how the brightness/contrast/etc all seem off. I don't want to go blind... :(

Its kind of watchable if you make the box really small :/ but still cant barely make out the characters at the pool cause of the brightness and terrible resolution.

Andrew J.

Hyouka 11.5

Friends of mine had jobs as lifeguards in the water section of an amusement park in high school. They didn't just let in anyone off the street. You needed CPR certification and to demonstrate some swimming proficiency.

7Th

It's kinda bad that episode 11.5 of Hyouka was released as an unwatchable special since it seems like a direct follow-up of the Irisu stuff and it introduces
Oreki's sister, who is actually still around in 12...

Firemind

Joshiraku

I like where this is going. Also, puns! Glorious puns!

joshiraku7.jpg

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Smile Precure! 22:

kThkDl.jpg

THE BOSS.

Joker lives up to the hype, and not just because I have an affinity for psychotic clowns/harlequins. He dances around every single attack with zero effort and then MIND CRUSHES everyone with total despair because that's how he rolls. You have to respect someone who causes the Precure to make faces like this:

And Emperor Pierrot is getting summoned? dat mid-season powerup is going to have to be something pretty spectacular. (for anyone who watches the PVs,
lol unicorn horns
)

The final of the five post-PV spoiler images: http://i.imgur.com/m5cqZl.jpg Okay, for real this time, it's all about NEXT WEEK.

edit: if the new avatar is too creepy/ugly, I can always change it. Just say something.

Smile Precure! 22:

Joker lives up to the hype. He dances around every single attack with zero effort and then MIND CRUSHES everyone with total despair because that's how he rolls. You have to respect someone who causes the Precure to make faces like this:

And Emperor Pierrot is getting summoned? dat mid-season powerup is going to have to be something pretty spectacular. (for anyone who watches the PVs,
lol unicorn horns
)

And, the final of the five post-PV spoiler images: http://i.imgur.com/m5cqZl.jpg Okay, for real this time, it's all about NEXT WEEK.

edit: if the new avatar is too creepy/unpleasant, I can always change it. Just say something.

that not so Happy would make a nice ava :p

Hyouka 11.5
tumblr_m6v9upIvYs1rsratxo1_500.jpg

Ignoring the quality issues, It was actually pretty entertaining. Satoshi had so many great fun parts, and even Oreki when the mystery got going looked cool. A wee bit much on the Chitanda Oreki stuff, but I guess, thats what the animators are a fan of...2013 is a long wait.

Nice seeing
Oreki's sister, just exactly as I imagined

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom